Chapter 3: Yesterday
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are you sure we have to go and bother Yesterday?” Lanie whined as every step to their friend's home filled her with more dread.

“Either her or Richter.” Juno would say giving her a second option. Which was leagues worse than their friend.

“Fine…” she mumbled a twinge of defeat in her voice.

Juno then stopped, turning on his heel. Before planting a kiss on her lips, earning a surprised yelp from her. “ I don't do this to be mean to you Lanie. I do this because we need to get to the bottom of this, before your performance value lowers and you getting relegated back to the wall.” He said, patting her cheek gently. “Last thing I want is for you to be put in a much more dangerous environment.”

“I know…I just don’t like feeling like I’m being dissected.” She admitted rather openly to Juno. Then again, she was always like this with him. Open and honest.

He was the only one she felt was honest and truthful around her. Always there for her when she absolutely needed him. Much like tonight. It was the true face he only showed to her. Not like the mask he only wore around the public. The him that feels disconnected from the world.

But she understood the need for such a mask. Especially when it came to how their ranks operated.

“Yesterday isn't going to dissect you.” Juno reassured her. “But she'll have to probe some if she's to accurately prescribe a treatment to you.”

Prescribe a treatment. Sounded more like something to dilute her system, to slow her down. Or cause other problems.

Lanie started to slow as they neared the door to Yesterday’s apartment complex. Which was very similar in looks to the one both she and Juno called home.

Made of a metallic material used to reflect light, along with a synthetic material used to be invisible to anything in the air above the city. This building, unlike their own. Was a two story building. Which only held the physicians.

“Almost there. Just a few more steps.” Juno spoke gently, holding the door open for Lanie.

Lanie took a deep breath, feeling the urge to back away from the building. To go back home and hide under the covers until it was time for her shift on the wall.

And if she did that. She'd never hear the end of it from Juno, and that was arguably worse than being questioned by a physician.

Juno watched his partner silently. Watching the nervousness around her, the fidgeting. The fear in her green eyes.

To a degree. He felt bad forcing her to go somewhere she felt this strongly towards. But it was something they needed to get to the bottom of. Especially if he wanted to keep her close to him, safe from the rest of the city. As it was rare for a woman to even pass the intense physical aspect of the Agent training. Even more so when it came to how the serum changes an Agents body.

To have gone through all of that, and come out relatively fine was a miracle of its own. The enhancements alone was a miracle she even had obtained.

And he knew what she went through best, as he was there with her every step of the way. As he was with all new Agents. There as a guide to bring them to the point they can handle the serum, and combat training.

It was one of the reasons he cared about her health. Both physical and mental.

“You do this. I'll take your shift at the wall. You can rest the remainder of the day.” he prompted, using something they both craved as a bribe. Time off.

”I'll hold you to that.” Lanie hedged, shaking her head before heading through the doorway.

Walking down the end of the hallway, up the set of steps that led to the second floor. They walked about halfway down the second floor hallway before stopping before Yesterday's door.

Knocking on the door, Juno would give Lanie another reassuring glance. “The hard part is over, nows the ea-”

Juno was interrupted by the slamming of the door, and a woman with frazzled twin tails and a pair of goggles resting on her head to hold back her brown curls. She wore her lab coat, black sleep shirt, and what seemed to be shorts. Her inquisitive yellow eyes darted between Lanie and Juno mere moments before she opened up her mouth to speak. 

“Howdy kiddies. How's the sex life?” She'd ask before being pushed into her apartment by the two.

Closing the door Juno watched as Lanie pushed Yesterday into her chair. Followed by somewhat childish laughter.

“Man, you guys don't have to be such prudes.” Yesterday held up her hands in surrender. “As your doctor, I do reserve the right to such a brutish question.”

“Yes, and we would like it if the other physicians didn't know either Yesterday.” Lanie would chide taking her seat in a lounge style chair. Resting her body against the soft material as she looked up at the ceiling.

“Fair point, don't see why it'd be a problem if people knew two Agents were shagging.” Yesterday said pulling out a clipboard.

“Primarily because it is against the law.” Juno pointed out.

“Yeah, there is that.” Yesterday said thoughtfully before turning to Lanie. “Now, tell me about what's got you troubled, yeah?”

        Project Machina

“Alahakis is expecting him?” Septum questioned walking towards Lance. Peering around him to read the paper he held in his hands. “I thought Alahakis was out on a mission?”

“Mayhaps he has returned without our knowledge. Let's just get him to Yesterday's and see if he has any diseases with him.” Lance said, rolling the scroll back up, returning it to Raishan.

“Is Yesterday's a place?” Raishan questioned tilting his head.

“Yesterday is a person, we'll be visiting her physician's office.” Lance said gesturing to Septum. “Let them know to open the gates. Authorization Pantheonus.”

Authorization Pantheonus was the second highest authorization code in Eden. The only one higher than that was the word Eden itself. Only usable by a single individual. The Mother of Eden. Even then, it was only used in the most serious of situations.

“So, you mind telling me what a Brawler is exactly?” Lance questioned Raishan as Septum walked off to speak with the gate guard.

“Basically a classification for those who pass the physical aspect of the Agent training. But are incompatible with the Serum.” Raishan explained pointing a finger to his gloved hand. “Basically we punch shit really hard, and if it doesn't break the first time. It'll definitely break the next.”

“Good to know, means you’ll be able to keep up with us in the physical aspects. To a point that is.” Lance would say respectfully looking over to Septum who was waving for their attention. “I will also be taking you to the Agent who is ranked under Alahakis in the meantime. He’ll have a much better handle on the situation.”

“It’ll be an honor to meet him either way.” Raishan smiled as he began walking towards the heavy metal gate that was now slowly rising. Allowing them entrance to Sector city Eden.

0