Chapter 4: Check-up
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It always starts in complete darkness…surrounding me completely I feel nothing but utter and complete cold. Colder than any winter we've experienced. I can't see anything but odd shapes in the darkness. Maybe about my eyes trying to adjust to the lightless void. Under me is what feels like a floor, one that's thin and on the verge of giving out. But never doing so.” Lanie said in a low tone. Recalling the exact dream she'd have more times than she could count, looking up to Juno and Yesterday both. Observing their reactions to the words she spoke.

“Keep going.” Yesterday said as she finished jotting down some notes.

Lanie hesitated a moment, before taking a deep breath and continuing. “It would feel like I'm floating there forever, not being able to tell how much time is passing or has passed. Feeling like I am starting to go insane from it, right when I'm on the brink. I hear a voice speak.” She'd continue before pausing as the next words caught in her throat.

“What does the voice say?” Yesterday prompted as she continued jotting notes down. Looking up to see the slow onset of panic in Lanie's eyes. “Remember. Don't force it out, let it flow.”

Far easier said than done. Lanie thought to herself, as she continued to keep the slow growing terror at bay. What was it about the dream that made her like this?

She had wanted to know for the last two years why it plagued her. At the time she had just been afraid as a newer Agent. So she was afraid of being labeled as bad product.

Which was why Juno had forced her to come to Yesterday. To figure out what was going on with her head.

“I hear a voice. Originating from everywhere in the void. Echoing millions of times in my head, until I hear two simple whispered words. Wake Up.” Lanie continued reliving the moment with each further word spoken.

“What a very active Hippocampus you have…fascinating.” Yesterday muttered while listening to the words that Lanie spoke. Looking up from her notepad, she pointed an inquisitive finger at Lanie. “To be able to design something as simple, yet from what you are saying, very complex when it comes to creating the images, and even voices. Our brains usually use what we’ve seen and experienced in real life to create what you see and experience in your dreams. Kind of like a scrambled version of reality. Do you happen to have a very active imagination as well? Creative urges and the what-nots?”

“Not particularly no, I may daydream a bit when I get bored. But other than that, not that I’m aware of.” Lanie began feeling the pointed stare Juno was sending her direction. “I do tend to doodle to pass the time. But there’s nothing wrong with doing so. Right?”

“Well, that’s the unique thing about you in particular. Boredom and creativeness is something that us regular individuals are capable of. With the way the Serum interacts with the biology, and brain of an Agent. Something the body apparently does, which is why the process is so very painful. Is merge or do away with certain parts of the human anatomy. Primarily in the brain. The hippocampus is usually shrunk to the point where Imagination, or even dreams are almost completely impossible to have. You’re not even supposed to get bored.”

That was news to her. Lanie never truly knew about the overall side-effects of the Agent serum, other than it being full proof and the only thing that humanity has consistently used throughout the war against the Androids. A formula that wasn’t allowed to change.

“So what’re you saying? She is a never before seen case? Or just a very rare one?” Juno questioned, unsure of the direction that the conversation seemed to be headed in.

“She is a case that has never been observed in Eden anyways. I don’t know about Mecca, Jerusalem or Babel. Most of the doctors or scientists there don’t share much of their findings with us. Those stingy assholes.” Yesterday muttered starting to slowly peel off of their current topic. Forcing Juno to snap his fingers a few times to get her attention. 

“How do you mean?” Lanie asked shooting a nervous look over to Juno, feeling a cold sense of pain wash over her as she noticed a small tinge of guilt in his eyes.

“You have something that no Agent compatible with the serum has ever had. At least, that's what the information suggests. But Lanie, you may possibly have been born with a mental superpower that probably operates on a different level.” Yesterday hypothesized.

“And that happens to be?” Juno pressed.

“Well. She has ADHD. Or at least parts of it, most creative individuals throughout history tended to have it, or at least that's what our outdated five hundred year old scientific research would like to suggest.” Yesterday would say pointing her finger back at Lanie. “Side tangent aside. Does the dream go deeper?”

“I…I don't know.” Lanie admitted. “After about the forth time of being told to wake up. I usually tend to wake up covered in sweat, shaking…my heart racing as all of the feeling slowly returned to my body. Warmth taking over a cold sensation that doesn't feel like it should be possible to feel.”

“Almost like she absorbs all the cold in the air. Cold enough to wake me up.” Juno added.

“Maybe her homeostasis gets thrown off balance whenever she reaches a certain point of her dream? As a result of being tricked into believing she was in a void like space?” Yesterday hypothesized further as she turned around beginning to scour her shelves for a possible medicine. Or knowing Yesterday. Medicines.

“Is that possible?” Juno questioned with a raised brow.

“Of course it is. Don't you know that the brain is a powerful thing?” Yesterday retorted bringing down two bottles of pills before handing both to Lanie. “Take both once per day, and maybe do a bit more physical activities than usual. Even when you are doing your duties. Something to tire out both mind and body, and your dreams should no longer be an issue.” 

“Are you sure?” Lanie questioned thinking that it was too good to be true.

“Seventy percent sure at least.” Yesterday shrugged as her attention was successfully completely peeled from their topic as a knock sounded on her door. “Apparently I am popular this morning.”

0