Chapter 4: Mysterious Circumstance
865 5 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Naya leisurely walked through the forest. It had been a couple of hours since she left the odd group back at the clearing, and she hadn't rerun into them. She was in no rush either since speaking to a human wasn't something she looked forward to.

This forest is oddly... dead.

"It was like this since I got here."

Now that she wouldn't get embarrassed by talking to herself, she much preferred speaking aloud when discussing with Lia. They had been going back and forth since leaving the clearing. It was pleasant; she didn't feel lonely anymore.

Still, I barely hear animal movement and not even a gust of wind.

"Human forests are weird."

Stupid Naya, that's not how forests would be anywhere.

Naya's ears twitched, "I know. But my point is still true."

Right... anyway, I think this forest had something going on far earlier than when that witch settled. 

"It doesn't matter; we won't be back." 

Bah! Mystery is fun! You'll have a lot of downtime before you can catch sight of witches, you know? There's a reason you only found one, even after seeking rumors.

"But I still won't stop."

Wanna bet? 

Naya ignored her. Lia seemed to have the uncanny ability to pick the right words to annoy her.

The walk continued; sunset had arrived, and the red skies created a pleasing atmosphere for Naya—one without disruption and one that put her at peace. 

We should almost be out.

"I think I will miss this place."

Whatever you say, Naya. 

That was the first time Naya felt Lia sounded annoyed.

Your lack of an adventurous spirit is frustrating; it seems the Elves of old have fallen quite low.

"What does that mean?" That sounded like a slip and was a hint at Lia's past, one that Naya clutched onto.

Not telling! Lia quickly added.

Naya clicked her tongue but knew she wouldn't get anything out of her and detested pointless efforts, so she didn't pursue it. 

The rest of the trip was spent in silence as the sun finished its descent and the skies darkened considerably. A full white moon showed down on Naya as she made her way to the forest exit, where a familiar cobblestone path ended.

Started a road but never finished...

The path looked like it was stopped abruptly, with pieces of cobblestone thrown about at the end of the road and construction tools for laying out a path. 

You absolutely must ask about the forest! This is an order, Nayalisia!

"You don't get to order me... but fine, I will ask for you. And don't call me that." If Lia would be stuck with her for a long time, she figured she might as well play nice, even if it did make her go out of her way.

Naya walked down the short cobblestone path; it led straight out of the forest, with a vast expanse of rolling green hills and some trees scattered around.

This is beautiful in its own way.

"If you say so." Naya didn't get the appeal, but at least it was better than the dreary forest.

In the distance, the walls of the familiar village stood tall, made out of brick, and reached up to even cover up the roofs of the houses.

That's quite the wall for some rural village, and for there to be no towns close to the forest is odd.

"That's where the human lied to me."

I don't think it's that simple anymore.

"You have access to my memories. Did you not notice anything odd before now?"

I forgot!

The rest of the trip was spent in silence again; Naya was glad Lia seemed to be picking up on her preference for silence.

You don't really enjoy the silence, you... Lia stopped, then sighed. I will turn you social again; that's my solemn vow! 

The gate in the wall was a simple wood portcullis gate, with two armored guards in front of it who were both watching her approach. 

"Miss!" They both saluted as she stopped before the gate.

They weren't here before, right?

"I forgot."

We're the same after all.

"What was that, miss?"

Naya's ears twitched, and Lia's laughter filled her head.

This is nice! You deserve the embarrassment for annoying me!

"I misspoke." She waved her hand at the gate. "Let me through."

"Miss, about that..." the guard on the left started, speaking hesitantly as nervousness tinged his voice.

The other guard slammed his spear into the ground, "Miss Elf, we have been ordered to not let you enter the village!" 

Though he seemed brave, sweat dripped down his forehead, and Naya could almost smell the fear.

Uh oh.

"What?" Naya's brow creased, and her ears tipped upward. She glared at the guard, "On whose authority?"

The brave guard released a shaky breath, "Forgive me, Miss, b-but I believe it's due to a delegation here all the way from Sanctum."

"And?" Naya didn't know what that was and didn't care for this farce; in the worst case, she'd force her way in.

Let's try not to antagonize the entire human race? Sanctum is the most prominent human mage organization in the world. 

I don't care. Why would they not allow me inside?

It's probably just the guards being too diligent.

"Were you told specifically to disallow me?" 

"Heavens, no!" The left guard immediately said, and his eyes widened, "M-my friend misspoke; we weren't told to disallow you! We wouldn't dare!

"Then you realize how ridiculous this is. Let me through."

"But-" 

"If someone has a problem, give them my name."

Ooo~ how charitable of you.

They will obviously find me either way; I'm sure they know I was here.

I'm glad you're aware of that.

I am not that dense.

"I...I guess that should be fine. Please give us a moment..." The two guards walked through a small door next to the gate.

Naya heard them whisper to each other inside. They had clearly underestimated the hearing ability of an Elf.

Well, your ears aren't for show!

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" One of the guards said. Naya wasn't sure which; she forgot whose voice belonged to whom. 

That's the left one; you can tell because of how timid he sounds.

"I don't know about you, Jake, but I'd rather offend the entire damn country than risk the ire of an Elf! Don't you remember the tales?" 

"You're right, you're right! She already seemed like she wanted to smite us right then and there!"

"Yeah, so let's just open the gate and have those Sanctum guys deal with her!"

Lia busted out laughing loudly. SMITE HE SAID! SMITE! Man, I gotta know what sort of tales are told about you guys out of Aleria; it's been far too long.

They act as though I'm some kind of violent incarnate. Naya felt dissatisfied, her arms crossed in front of her chest.

Are...are you...pouting?

"I'm not!" Naya snorted

You're so cute, my little Nayalisia!

"Don't call me that, vile thing!"

Lia laughed in response.

Suddenly, the gate slowly lifted, and one of the guards stepped outside.

He bowed slightly, "Alright, Miss, I hope you don't mind that my friend went to inform the chief of your arrival."

Naya ignored her annoyance, "No matter. I will speak with him anyway."

She didn't wait for a response as she walked past him and into the village.

The only light came from evenly spaced, small floating orbs containing a bright light that illuminated a small area around them. The orbs were scattered around the many buildings in the village. 

It looks like they want to turn this place into an actual town with how much reconstruction I see.

Scattered across the village are building materials, as well as many remnants of torn-down homes that were in awkward places as a newly constructed road was under construction in their places.

That does give me a potential theory. But we'll wait and see.

Probably correct; it is a good spot for a major city. It's surprising that there isn't already one out here.

Oh~ Is Little Naya finally getting interested in the mystery of this land?

Naya's ear twitched. "I-I'm not."

Mystery is the spice of life, my young Elf.

The road was silent as Naya made her way through it, heading toward a much larger building at the far end of the village. The larger building also looked like it was being reconstructed, with extensions added to both sides.

To the right of the building, two long carriages without horses attached to them were docked. 

Those things are super wasteful, only used by the vaine to show off their wealth.

Naya knew of those carriages; they used a mages Arcana to power spell circles that could lift them off the ground. However, the drain was too much, and unless packed with multiple mages, they would have to stop frequently to recharge their Arcana.

Well, and they're slow unless you add in another couple of mages to power some movement-type spells.

They once again confirmed how lacking the lesser races were in Naya's mind compared to the advances of the Elves.

The races have their own things going for them, don't count 'em out too early.

Naya didn't believe it, but she kept those thoughts to herself. Though since Lia was connected to her, she'd see them.

The Elves really have lost their way. You'll see eventually. I promise you that.

Naya shrugged. You don't know anything. 

She eyed the house; it was the one she remembered, where the man who lied to her lived. She was only here briefly last time, as she clarified that she only wanted information.

Definitely the village chief.

Though Naya stood before the door, she couldn't hear any noises from inside, not even the noise of footsteps. Sound barrier?

Most likely, it seems a rather important talk is taking place.

Naya didn't care as she shoved the door open to no resistance. 

Even when she stepped into the room, it was utterly silent. However, that time, it was due to the large gathering of people quickly snapping their heads back toward the door.

"Who dares-" someone yelled.

It did startle Naya a little to see so many people suddenly eye her simultaneously with various gazes. Some were in total shock, some were angry, and some were curious.

Seems we interrupted a party.

The room was dominated by a large, circular wooden table with chairs lining all around it other than the front, near the door. 

Each chair had someone dressed in robes Naya assumed were of mages, ones of multiple colors.

The one that stuck out the most was a woman sitting in the middle; she had long, gold-colored hair with similarly golden eyes, and those eyes seemed to visibly sparkle with Arcana.

 Is that?! Naya was prepared to strike immediately.

No, it's not a witch, but she's ridiculously powerful. She's easily the strongest human I have ever seen, and that's saying something. 

Lia spoke with an unusually grave tone, one that even made Naya straighten up. But it's just a human.

Stupid belief. Humans can reach the same level as Elves; it's just not as straightforward. Just look at witches. Something's up with this woman, but I can't put my finger on it.

The woman's outfit spoke of her authority in the group. She wore a long-sleeved white shirt tucked into black leather pants with an opened red coat over her shoulders. She had her legs crossed and was leaned back in her chair as if what they were talking about previously bore her.

The woman looked briefly shocked but quickly changed into a small smile as she observed Naya. She uncrossed her legs and leaned forward.

"An... An Elf..." Someone at the table stuttered; it was a man in a green robe.

"Miss Naya!" An older man abruptly stood up; Naya recognized him as the human who had given her directions to the forest and whom she had to interrogate.

The man was in his later years but had a full head of combed-back white hair and stood tall; he had aged well for a human.

Seeing him again reminded Naya of her hours wasted wandering the forest.

"You." Naya looked toward him. "You lied to me." She got straight to the point, and some eyes looked toward the old man. Most were still staring at Naya, specifically her ears; she felt it.

Yeesh, still lacking subtlety there. Lia's grave tone was replaced by her more laid-back one. 

"What are you speaking of, Miss Naya?" The old man didn't appear too panicked by Naya's accusation.

"There was no tower in that forest," she glared at him. "You lied to me." 

"I... I don't know what to say, Miss Naya, the tower was certainly there!" The old man was panicked, likely because the eyes looking toward him were now filled with suspicion. He spoke as if he were assuring the people at the table, not Naya.

It angered her.

"Now, now." The golden-haired woman tapped the table. "It seems somethings going on here, something we should discuss. Why don't you take a seat, Naya." 

She spoke to Naya like she was a child, something Naya hadn't heard since her own mother. 

"I will n-" Naya was about to reject. 

You will. You must, Nayalisia. There's a chance this woman is the most powerful human alive. I want to listen to her.

How powerful can a human possibly be?

Lia's tone became deeper. Nayalisia, this woman could probably kill you before you could blink.

That's not-

Ok, maybe not. But just sit down, you arrogant, idiotic Elf!

You should not make a habit of insulting me! Naya felt the aggravation in Lia's tone, so she reluctantly complied, "Fine." she sighed. 

She took one of the empty chairs at the opposite end of the table from the woman, with nobody sitting beside her.

"I'm glad you listened to her." The woman spoke, and Naya couldn't hide the shock even if she wanted to, as her ears spiked up and her eyes widened.

The woman knew about Lia.

I figured.

 

I think Naya's arrogant, childish nature meshes well with Lia. I hope you guys like their dynamic as much as I like writing their interactions.

45