Chapter 47: The Rat Hole
228 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Naya reached the bottom of those steps, all other sounds in the vicinity stopped.

Her eyes narrowed into a glare, her ears perked upright, and her heart quickened.

Rula was there, a big smile on her face, her short red hair a little disheveled, and her big, mystical azure eyes teemed with excitement.

However, what made Naya's heart sink was the blood that poured from an open wound on Rula's upper arm.

It was a deep wound.

She didn't think it possible to be so affected by it, but it felt as if she was the one suffering a painful cut. 

Rula's head snapped backward. Her eyes opened wide with shock, but moments after, her smile grew, her back straightened, and she looked at Naya with a newfound confidence in her gaze.

"Naya!?" 

Naya burst into motion.

Perhaps it was with too much ferocity because Rula briefly had a look of panic on her face.

A white flash filled Naya's vision and caused her to abruptly stop and lower her head.

The anger at being halted flooded in instantaneously. 

At that moment, many scenes played out in her head.

In most significant fights recently, she had been forced into a dodging position. While her speed made it easy, it was grating that she, an Elf, would be forced to take a passive status so frequently.

While those thoughts were present, she lashed out.

Naya, with her body lowered after she dodged the white flash, kicked off her back leg in a burst of propulsion.

"Wait!"

She heard Rula's shout but didn't care. Nobody attacks her and gets away with it.

In a purple flash, she arrived before one of the most odd-looking women she had ever seen. It nearly made her halt, but the anger fueled her.

The woman's eyes tracked Naya the short distance, tracking her movements. 

However, that didn't matter.

Naya twisted her body and whipped her leg forward with devastating force.

Another white flash, and she felt her leg make contact with what felt like an indestructible metal.

She was reminded she was still injured since she didn't care to go to a healer that late. A stinging pain flooded her leg, and her face twitched. She ignored it.

The woman released a shocked gasp but was flung to the side moments later, clearly underestimating Naya's strength. 

Overestimated her own.

An explosion of shattered wood rang, chunks of the wall went through the room, and the woman slammed into the stone wall behind.

Naya stood up straight and glared into the debris.

Rula suddenly rushed before Naya with her hands spread out and a painful wince on her face. "Stop! It's a misunderstanding!"

From the debris, the woman stood with no obvious injury to her body.

Naya kept her slight glare, "The human overestimates herself."

"I suppose I should have expected that power from an Elf." The woman stretched her neck and brushed the wooden debris from her clothing.

That sword...

The blade was long with a pristine silver. 

It showed no sign of damage, not even a bent at the point Naya made contact with.

Naya appraised the woman.

She had pale skin, the whitest she had seen thus far. Vampire blood?

No, vampires will always have red eyes. Oh, and they cannot produce halflings. Lia said. Still, her appearance is so... weird.

The woman's hair was white as snow, which created a mesmerizing picture partnered with her just as white eyes. If Naya didn't know better, she'd think the woman was blind.

While Naya was investigating her, it was clear the woman was similarly sizing her up.

Rula hopped up and down in front of Naya. "Hey! Don't ignore me!" She winced.

Adorable. Verala chuckled.

Cute. At the same time, Lia commented and joined Verala in a light chuckle.

Naya snapped her eyes down to Rula. "Where were you?!" She tried to keep the bite from her voice but failed.

Rula's face fell, and she looked guilty. It made Naya instantly regret her words.

A light stomp from behind, and Alex stepped into the lower floor. "Damn, you guys did a number on them." He moved beside Naya.

"Alex Norwood, the master tracker." The woman nodded. "So that is how you found us."

Alex's eyes widened when he looked at her. "Evelyn Sy-"

"Just." The woman, Evelyn, glared. "Evelyn." 

Alex raised his hands placatingly. "Right, my bad." 

Naya didn't care for them and brought her gaze back toward Rula. 

"I'm..." Rula stopped herself. She took a deep breath and snapped her head up. "I'm not sorry!"

Naya was taken aback. 

Good. The little halfling has some spine. 

Silence, Witch.

Rula's courageous expression faltered when she tried to stare into Naya's eyes.

Evelyn and Alex both stared silently, though Evelyn had a light smile, as if a proud mother, as she stared at Rula.

Naya wasn't sure what to say.

On one hand, she wanted to criticize Rula for her actions. She was injured, with a deep gash on her upper arm. How could she leave for a dangerous task without informing her? She was not ready to fight by herself.

What was she thinking?

It was most likely the Evelyn woman who took care of most, likely all, of the thugs. If she wasn't there, Rula could have died.

The stare continued, and an awkward silence filled the room.

Evelyn lightly cleared her throat. "I allow-"

"Silence, human." 

"No, Elf." A metal clink as Evelyn placed her hand on the sheathed hilt of her blade. 

Naya lifted her gaze off Rula and glared at Evelyn but didn't say anything.

"I told her she could come with me."

"I don't need your approval for my actions!" Rula snapped.

Naya bit back her retort toward Evelyn and looked again at Rula.

"I... I get I should have told you, but I am not a helpless child!" Rula tried to keep her eyes glued to Naya's, but the struggle to do so was clear.

Naya wasn't sure what to say.

She is right, you know. Lia spoke softly. You're not angry at her, Naya, you're- 

I'm not stupid.

Just making sure.

Naya sighed and shook her head.

To which Rula looked pensive as if fearing an outrage.

"I..." Naya stopped and moved her hand gently atop Rula's head. "I was worried."

Rula looked up with widened eyes.

She suddenly jumped forward and hugged Naya. "I'm sorry, I should have told you first!" 

Naya placed her arms around Rula's back. 

Evelyn and Alex both smiled at Rula.

"I'm glad we could deal with this peacefully." Evelyn let go of her hilt, and it clicked back into its sheath.

"Either way, a Rat hole was ruined today, which is good for everyone." Alex began to roam around the room. 

Naya scanned the room.

There were more bodies gently placed against the right side of the wall, all with clean cuts through their necks. She noted a bloody dagger on the ground before one of the corpses.

"You didn't summon anything?" Naya asked gently.

Rula shook her head. "I wanted to, but..."

Evelyn walked forward. "I didn't expect their hole to be so... small. I was more than enough to deal with them, and another body would have made it needlessly annoying." 

Naya took in Evelyn again.

Evelyn had another one of those voices that appealed to Naya since physical beauty did little to sway her. She tended to pick up on how people sounded. It was the same for most Elves since they were a beautiful race. Of course, unique appearances were still greatly appealing; it was just difficult to reach that level.

Evelyn reached that level with her white colors, and her voice was just as enchanting. It was light, contained little emotion, but still carried a noble grace. 

Rula let go of Naya and held her wounded arm. "This was because I didn't pay attention."

Naya looked at the wound. It wasn't something she wanted to leave festering. "We will go see a healer." 

"You appear to need one as well," Evelyn commented, looking at the leg Naya had used to kick her blade. "It seems you had quite the day."

"It's none of your concern."

Evelyn smiled and shrugged.

"Naya, Evelyn is actually really nice and super strong!" Rula looked like she realized something. "Oh! And I got this!" 

A tightly shut bag appeared in her palms, pulled from the spatial ring.

Rula gave it a light shake, and Naya heard the clinging within.

Of course, that was why.

It was comedic. The reason Rula hadn't gone back and instead decided to go after a gang hideout was something as silly as that.

"They had a ton of gold!" 

Lia's laughter rang in her mind, and Verala joined in.

Naya twitched a little. "You risked death... because you wanted money?"

Rula looked at her as if she were stupid. "Why else would I do this? It does sting, you know."

Haha! I love this girl! Lia shouted.

She is... a bit odd. Verala sounded amused.

Naya shook her head and looked around the room. "What was this for?" The question was toward Evelyn.

She wanted to know if it was worth risking Rula's life or if she would have to exterminate the gang lest they come after Rula for revenge.

"This is one of the many minor holes of the Vermilion Rats. They're all over the place and fairly well hidden, so finding this one was a stroke of good fortune." Evelyn moved out of the rubble from the broken wall and stood before Naya.

"You're after them?" 

"They stole something from me." Evelyn closed her eyes and shook her head dejectedly. "But alas, this place held no usefulness for me."

"So all of this was meaningless." 

"I got money!" Rula added and put away the bag of gold.

Evelyn lightly smirked, "And there you have it."

"I wouldn't say so." Alex walked back up to the group with a folded piece of paper. When all eyes were on him, he continued. "The Rats are a thorn in Rozen's side. No matter how many holes you wipe out, they never seem to lessen."

"That is?" Evelyn asked.

"I believe it's a set of orders." Alex tossed it to Evelyn.

Evelyn caught it and unfolded it. A moment later, she shook her head. "It just says that the Thieves Guild had some kind of problem tonight and to push their activities forward to take advantage of it."

"Right, which means the underworld is in a bit of turmoil at the moment." 

"But it doesn't matter to any of us here."

Alex sighed regretfully. "Indeed, the guild won't get involved, and the lords won't care unless it starts digging into their pockets directly."

"Still, this note should be given to the guard." Evelyn refolded it and placed it gently in her pants pocket.

"By all means, for whatever good that will do."

Naya didn't care for the proceedings. She was not going to get involved in Rozen's problems, even if the city Lord himself begged her. Her current priorities did not align with the city. But there was one way to move her, something she did worry about.

"Will they come after Rula?" Naya asked coldly. If they would, then she would just find and kill all of them before it became a problem. 

Rula's eyes widened. "No way, right?" She snapped her head to Evelyn.

"They will investigate thoroughly, and your face was seen on the way here."

"The walls have eyes," Alex added mysteriously. 

Naya knew what he meant. The entire trip through the back alleys, she would hear footsteps scattering whenever they neared. It was as if rats were in the walls. Many times she was tempted to just go after them.

"S-so I'm in danger?" Rula looked frightened only for a second, but she snapped her head up to Naya and met her eyes. "B-but I'm not going to take it lying down!"

Naya nodded and gently smiled. "They will not be a threat to you."

"Physically, certainly not. But the rats are called that for a reason." Evelyn added. "They have their methods, even a few nobles in their pockets."

Having ties to a gang spanning the entire city is surely... lucrative. Verala said.

Disgusting, but not surprising. A lot of the time, groups like these do receive secret support from some public authority. 

"We will not be in Rozen long, but I will exterminate the group before I go." Naya's voice was cold. The last thing she wanted to deal with was an overconfident group of mortals following her when she left. Plus, it would not be difficult to wipe out a mere gang.

"Bold, but I have to agree." Evelyn stepped forward, past Naya, and toward the steps. "They will regret stealing from me." 

Naya turned and watched Evelyn ascend the stairs.

When she reached the top, Evelyn stopped. "Oh right, you were a pleasure to work with, Rula. I will be in touch soon." With that, she exited.

Naya heard her footsteps depart unhurriedly through the front door.

"I guess... that's that?" Rula's head tilted slightly. Then, she hissed. "Ow..."

"We will get you healed, then return to the Hall." 

"Ugh." Rula groaned. "I'm tired."

"I guess that's my cue to leave." Alex walked forward. 

Truthfully, Naya had forgotten him.

"I'll see you guys back at the Hall." He waved, then walked up the stairs.

This has been... an eventful day.

I don't think a more understatement is even possible.

Naya, with Rula's hand grasped tightly in her own, left shortly after, headed to where Naya recalled the Aleria Church was located.

 

18