Chapter 51: Morning Meeting
291 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Fun fact: Rula's Nighttime Adventure got more views than every chapter way back to chapter 13. Come on, guys. What did you think that name meant!? 

Jokes aside, if there were ever any explicit scenes, they would absolutely never involve Rula! She is 16, and even then, she is of small stature due to her race. 

There wasn't a soul in sight at the Adventurer's Hall. Not only that, but the plaza itself seemed to have nobody around. Naya would have thought the city was deserted had it not been for her keen ears. 

"Woah," Rula whispered.

You wondered why the population seemed to decrease the closer you got? Lia asked rhetorically.

That was true. Even the streets close, specifically the one Naya came from, had fewer people the closer she went down the road.

This is normal behavior for when the Lord comes out. Verala added.

Seems pointless.

True, but humans are rather paranoid, and Noble Humans are doubly so.

"This is a little excessive, don't you think?" Rula whispered.

"You needn't keep your voice down," Naya said. It was amusing to see her concerns, but Naya wouldn't have Rula worrying about noble graces.

Rula shrugged, "I guess... but it's so weird." 

Naya nodded, though Rula couldn't see it since her eyes were glued to the Hall, "Let's go."

She knew people were hidden around the plaza, on top of rooves and behind corners, though their silence was impeccable.

When she pushed the Hall doors open, a distorted sound of glass shattering reverberated around the plaza, accompanied by a purple vortex on Naya's hand.

Naya was momentarily taken aback. 

Such needless measures?

"What!?" Rula exclaimed as a thin blue layer cracked and dispersed into a mist-like substance into Naya's vortex. "A spell?!"

Ha! Verala laughed. They probably took a while to set that sound barrier up just for you to break it with a mere touch!

Naya's vortex vanished a moment later, and purple lines crawled up to her wrist.

This much?

The amount was shocking, even to her. 

They covered the entire building, but even still... it shouldn't have been that much. Lia said, a similar amount of shock in her tone.

It seems there are some facets of your own power you do not understand... Verala muttered, again like a researcher. Interesting.

The Hall doors launched open and slammed into the opposite walls, sending a bang through the plaza.

Two guards dressed in silver plate armor with gold trims ran out, "Who goes there?!" One shouted.

"Madam Naya!" 

Another person shouted from behind the two. Naya didn't recognize him. But it created a new, ever so slight discomfort for her; people she didn't know used her name when they met. It was odd to hear it from someone whose name she didn't know.

The man who called Naya's name wore a white robe with familiar golden designs of a tree and its branches spread across it. He was an older man, yet still had a neatly combed back head of grey hair along with a beard that went to his chest. His eyes were an unassuming brown, yet still seemed to radiate some power.

A man worshipping Aleria... Naya shook her head.

It wasn't that she cared for his gender, but it was just odd. 

Why is that so odd? Verala asked.

You didn't know? Lia sounded a little surprised. That's... actually pretty unexpected.

Well, now I can guess, but tell me anyway. Verala's tone didn't change, even when Lia commented on her lack of knowledge.

Naya recalled that she hadn't explicitly told anyone before. In her mind, it wasn't that big a deal, but it was how Lia said; a bit surprising that Verala didn't know. She wondered if it was something worth telling Rula and Sophia.

Elves are an all-female race; Naya hasn't seen a male Alerian Priest before.

I feel you just nonchalantly dropped a pretty big reveal. If Verala was shocked, she did a good job hiding it. 

Well, now you know.

It explains a lot, actually.

Naya wondered what that meant, but the man who called her name stopped her from asking as he walked out of the Hall.

A glance past him showed Naya rows of silver and gold armored men and women stationed stoically around the large room. Their expressions didn't change, save for a few eyes widened. It was the same as when she saw the guards at the Palace.

Naya made a mental note to tell at least Rula later of her race. As for Sophia, Naya couldn't think of a reason she needed to know. That woman was nosey enough as it was.

And every time Naya thought of Sophia, her mind would nearly instantly switch to the scene of her soft lips on her cheek.

She shook that thought and controlled her expression so her cheeks wouldn't heat up in front of a bunch of humans.

The old priest stepped through the door, and the two alerted guards moved to the side, though still with hands on their blades hilt. 

"We've been eagerly awaiting your arrival, Madam Naya, Rula!" The priest 

"Just Naya." 

It didn't go past Naya that the priest hadn't even glanced at Rula until the end of his greetings. She would give him a pass due to how surprising it must be to meet an Elf, but he already had a negative mark in her mind. 

Furthermore, to show great respect to Naya and not her companion was distasteful, to say the least.

"Just Rula," Rula said immediately after and nodded sagely as she spoke with her eyes closed.

Naya had to resist a smile.

Verala and Lia both chuckled.

The priest looked a little funny for a moment, but he put on a friendly smile and nodded.

"If that is what you desire," He bowed again. Then, he stood slightly to the side and gestured toward the Hall, "As for me, my name is Gregory Abastus, a bishop for the Aleria Church."

Naya didn't know what that meant.

"What's a bishop?"

Thankfully, Rula was there to save her from having to ask.

"It's merely a humble rank dictating a leadership position in a church." 

Naya's eyes squinted lightly, "Rank?"

It sounded like some sort of organization, and his wording made it seem like it wasn't just him. Naya didn't like that at all.

Aleria was only meant to be worshipped by all, without anybody using her authority for one's own gains. 

"Yes, merely one that makes managing our facilities efficient." The priest quickly explained with his head dipped.

I will have to keep a closer eye on this church.

I hope the hypocrisy of that isn't lost on you.

No Elf would give orders based on what they believe Aleria wants. That is my concern.

Well, the Tribunal does exactly that. Lia said.

They speak to her.

Do they, though? Verala mused.

Silence, I will not have you baselessly accusing my people.

I'm just thinking out loud. Verala said.

Baseless, huh... Lia said the last part and left it at that.

Naya pulled Rula along and entered the Hall, eager to not continue that discussion.

But the discussion waiting for her wasn't something she wanted to do, either.

Better get used to it; you'll gain more influence as you continue your path. Lia said, which nearly made Naya groan.

 I wish I could read minds, too. Verala commented.

I don't.

The thought nearly made Naya shiver. Verala was the last type of person she wanted to not be able to hide her thoughts from.

Then, suddenly, a door at the back of the Hall flung open.

Naya's ears twitched as a head of long, golden blonde hair poked out with a flowing black coat draped over her shoulders. 

Her blank face broke into a wide smile when her gaze met Naya's.

"Naya! Rula!"

Sophia...

They really went and called everyone for this meeting. Lia muttered.

Naya couldn't respond because when she saw Sophia, she had to resist the constant urge to look at her lips.

It was a silly battle she couldn't believe she was facing.

"Sophia!" Rula slipped out of Naya's hand and ran toward Sophia, who sped up her pace.

They had to move around a massive circular table in the middle of the Hall. Every smaller table there previously was stacked against a wall.

But once they moved around it, Sophia clasped Rula in an embrace.

"What are you doing here?!" Rula asked.

Sophia smiled and ruffled Rula's hair, "I couldn't bear to be without you guys any longer!" 

Rula ducked from Sophia's embrace and jumped backward with her hands atop her slightly messy hair, "That's a lie! Also, stop messing with my hair!" 

All Rula got in return was a light chuckle from Sophia before she switched her gaze over to Naya, "Not to pat myself on the back, but I did play a part in subjugating the Witch, and I'm a Paragon, for whatever that's worth these days."

Naya broke from her embarrassing stupor and moved around the table to join them. "H-how many people are there today?" She tried to keep her voice stable. But the stutter made her ears twitch.

Sophia flashed a knowing smile, "Heh, you-" She shook her head and cleared her throat, "The City Lord, Hall Master, Princess, you guys, and little ol' me. Oh, and I hear an Arcanum representative is coming, too." 

"So many?!" Rula asked in shock.

That was bizarre to Naya, and she was tempted to leave immediately, "I did not agree to a meeting like..." She gestured toward the massive circular table with undisguised disgust, "...this."

Sophia sighed and stood before Naya, which nearly made Naya step back, but she pushed that urge down. 

"I'm sorry; I wish it didn't have to involve you." Sophia looked up apologetically into Naya's eyes, "A meeting like this would normally grab the world's attention, and I didn't expect this at all."

All the pieces just so happen to have aligned at the right moment. Verala said. I knew of an Arcanum representative coming to Rozen. The Princess just so happened to finish her tour here, and Sophia led you here. Hah.

It's almost like something like this was fated to happen.

That just made Naya want to leave even more. Rather than ask the two in her mind, she felt a desire to ask Sophia instead. And she wanted to make less of a habit of looking like she blanked out when speaking to Lia and Verala.

"Is it abnormal for representatives to be in one place?"

"No, but the ones here are as close to the top as you can get." Sophia's head turned to look behind Naya, "Speaking of..."

Naya turned around and saw them, and she also realized it was too late to back out. Doing so would besmirch her reputation by quite a bit if the people in the meeting were as important as Sophia claimed. Still, she wouldn't allow political farces to keep her.

The priest, Gregory, was still standing outside the Hall with the alert guards on both sides. A little further out, Naya saw the emerald-colored hair of Evelyn, with Alex standing straight as an arrow behind her. 

She couldn't help but make the observation that Gregory and Alex had nearly the exact same hairstyle and facial hair. 

Most nobles follow whatever is in style, especially if they're going to be presenting themselves in a public place.

Naya nodded. She felt it odd that Evelyn, given her young age, would be allowed to represent an entire Kingdom.

The meeting isn't that important. If it were, they'd have held it in the Palace.

They did it within a night, probably because they wouldn't dare demand an Elf show up to an officiated meeting. Luckily for you. If they did, you'd end up meeting with Kings, Queens, and faction leaders. Gods know they'd jump at the opportunity. Verala said. 

In other words, these representatives aren't trained for this sort of farce. 

It made Naya feel a bit better, but still, the meeting occurring at all didn't make much sense to her.

"Evelyn, the Princess on tour. This is all almost too much of a coincidence." Sophia spoke while she put on her coat and straightened it out. With it on properly, she looked much more professional. "If I didn't know anybody, I'd say this whole week has been a setup."

"Evelyn!" Rula broke the quickly forming, tense atmosphere as she yelled out to the Princess who had just entered the building.

"Rula!" Evelyn was about to run out, but a firm hand clasped her shoulder, and she widened her eyes and then cleared her throat. "Rula, it's good to see you." Her voice took on a much more authoritative tone, but she did send Rula an apologetic smile.

Rula made the exaggerated gesture of zipping her lips shut and smiled at the Princess. "Good to see you too." She tried to sound just as authoritative, but it was clear she had no idea what she was doing, and it was merely cute.

"You have to be careful, Naya." Sophia suddenly whispered into Naya's ear, which caused her ears to twitch and made her face heat up.

"Wh-what?"

Seeing Sophia's serious face eased her embarrassment, and she took a deep, calming breath

"Rula is going to be viewed as the key to you."

Naya's brow furrowed, "She is not an object." All traces of embarrassment effectively vanished after Sophia's comment.

"Of course not." Sophia moved a little closer, "But please, be weary of those who cozy up to Rula too much."

That painted a bleak picture in Naya's head, a picture of Rula's heartbreaking as she discovered her friend had only used her to get to Naya.

"If anybody dares use her, I will exterminate them and their mortal groups."

Sophia smiled, "I think you should make that clear during the meeting." She moved away from Naya and toward the head of the table.

Ha! She hides it well, but she's just as arrogant as you are. Verala said.

Sophia was correct. Lia sighed. You and I both know that someone in Rula's good graces gives them a massive leg up in an interaction with you.

Naya knew that, but she also would adhere to her words. If someone hurt Rula, they would die.

Too naive, Naya; the world isn't that simple.

I disagree. Verala sounded amused. Power affords you the ability to ignore any laws of common sense. 

Naya, for once, found herself agreeing with Verala. As crude as the logic was, to her, it was accurate.

That's stupid. Lia scoffed. Nobody can take on the world.

I beg to differ. Do you know who rules Rella right now?

As Lia and Verala argued, Evelyn and Alex moved to a chair on the right side of the table and took two chairs. Evelyn glanced at Sophia's choice of seating and shook her head.

In response, Sophia smirked and put her legs crossed on the table.

Which got a twitch from both Alex and Evelyn. 

It doesn't matter. I'm sure whoever it is has norms to follow.

Norms? Strength creates the norms. 

And then hope the people follow them.

Hope? Far from it. Look at Rella's queen; she is one of the most powerful humans to ever exist. She took the throne by force, and now Rella is just a country full of city-states that all answer to her whims. Even the borders exist because of her.

That's stupid; there's no way that works. Even if she was as powerful as you claim, she couldn't possibly manage all of that. 

Yet it does work because of her absurd strength. If a city-state tries to expand? She'll remove the royalty and allow another to take its place. Do it enough times, and the norm is set. There is a reason Cornelia hasn't taken Rella.

Lia scoffed. Sure, and when she dies, the land will collapse into a war that will tear it apart.

Which was not my point. 

Yet, it must be considered. Irresponsible use of power without thought of long-term repercussions. Nobody is immortal, and you're only setting up everything you build to collapse when your time comes.

That's enough.

As long as you-

I said that's enough. I do not want to hear an argument in my head. I will decide what I do, not whatever expectations you and others have of me. 

She also wanted to meet the Rella queen if she was truly as powerful as Verala claimed.

Verala hummed.

Lia remained silent.

"Where should we sit?" Rula whispered to Naya.

While she focused on the argument in her head, Naya didn't notice Rula moved back to her side.

"It doesn't matter. We won't engage in such a petty matter as who sits where." 

Naya didn't try to keep her voice down, and she was sure everyone heard it.

Sophia giggled from her spot at the head.

From the back of the Hall footsteps sounded off as a pair of heavy boots collided with wood. In the total silence of the Hall, everyone heard it.

The back door swung open and out stepped a man Naya recognized as the Hall Master.

Yet now he was bald and had the start of a beard.

His piercing grey eyes scanned the room and stopped on Sophia at the table head. He smirked, "Paragon. I look forward to how your arrogance plays out." 

Sophia didn't even turn his way, "Hm?" She crossed her legs and leaned back in the chair, "Ah, oh right, your chairs could use a little work; too uncomfortable on the bottom."

"So I've heard, but some of us are capable of putting up with a little discomfort."

"Just a note for next time." Sophia yawned.

The Hall Master snickered and dropped it. His gaze stopped on Evelyn next, "Princess." He dipped his head slightly.

"Good morning, Hall Master. I, for one, am pleased with your arrangements."

"Thank you for the kind words." 

His gaze then moved to Naya. "And Naya, I apologize for forcing this meeting on you, but I do think you'll walk away satisfied." 

"I hope so." 

He looked to Rula next, "Hello, Rula. I hope your outing last night wasn't too terrible."

"You know about that?!" Rula exclaimed.

Naya wasn't surprised, given that the Adventurer's Guild supposedly had an extensive information network.

"Of course! But we can discuss that later if you wish."

"No thanks!"

Sophia snickered from her spot. 

"Well, if you ever want to, you know where to find me." The Hall Master moved to the seat opposite Sophia, the other end of the circular table.

Sal came out from the back door moments later and only exchanged nods and bows with the table occupants. She sat beside the Hall Master.

Shortly after, Naya picked up more sounds of footsteps from the outside. 

The City Lord had finally arrived.

Beside Rilious stood two guards who looked like they were of higher station. They were twins, one a male and the other female. Their hair was blonde, their eyes were green, and their facial features, save for the differences between genders, were practically the same. Both had two swords at their waists and another greatsword on their backs.

Rilious's wife, Marie, also joined at his side.

Naya wanted to scold Marie for broadcasting her words to the church but decided against it. She would have to say something, though. 

The group entered the Hall moments later.

In the distance, Naya saw a floating carriage rise and move out of sight.

"Good..." Rilious's sharp yellow eyes glared at the spot Sophia sat, but his expression returned to normal nearly instantly."...morning, everyone. Thank you for agreeing to this impromptu meeting." 

"It's no problem, Lord Rilious." Evelyn smiled, "What we discuss here is of great concern to everyone."

The Hall Master nodded, "Indeed, City Lord."

"Lady Naya, Lady Rula, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to you."

"Hey, what about me?" Sophia asked from the front, her eyes still closed.

"Of course, Lady Paragon as well."

"It's no matter."

"Just make sure we get the reward!" Rula shouted but immediately snapped her hand to cover her mouth. 

Rilious chuckled, "Of course."

He moved to take a spot on the left side of the table, directly opposite Evelyn. His wife sat beside him, and the two guards sat around them.

Gregory walked in after they fully sat, "It seems something held the Arcanum representative."

"Of course, they'd be the ones late." Sophia scoffed.

"I'm sure their reasons are good," Rilious said. But it didn't sound as though he believed his own words.

"Want to make a bet on that?" Sophia asked.

Rilious shook his head, "Such uncouth actions aren't fitting for those in our positions." 

Sophia smirked, "That's why you age ten times faster."

Gregory took a chair to the left of Evelyn: the side closer to Rilious, and two more nondescript priests, which Naya actually hadn't noticed, took chairs next to him. 

The two priests had their faces covered by a mask, and Naya couldn't feel their presence at all. Naya guessed they were both male.

That's certainly odd. Lia said.

I should have noticed them.

Sophia is a great distraction.

Shut up.

Suddenly, a whizzing sound filled the air, an odd noise Naya couldn't quite describe.

"And, here they are." Sophia didn't hide her contempt.

A blue sphere appeared on the left side of the room, close to Naya.

Naya took a small step back but kept her eyes glued to the sphere.

She was tempted to break it due to how close it was to her. But she didn't know if it was intentional, so she left it as is.

Within seconds, the sphere expanded into an oval and looked similar to Sophia's gates.

A white boot stepped out of it and hit the wooden floor.

Then, another and someone stepped out of the gate. 

But it didn't close.

Two more people, both in white boots, stepped out after.

Their outfits were eye-catching: being completely white with fur lining the edges. They wore white shirts, pants, and a white vest, topped off with a white coat. The only other color came from the black fur outlines.

There were two males and one female, and one of the males stepped out first.

The male in the lead had messy silver hair and silver eyes and had no expression on his face.

To his left, was a woman who appeared older, with a head of brown hair and dark brown eyes nearly black. She had a few graceful wrinkles near her eyes and had a gentle smile.

On the right of the woman, an older male with a darker grey compared to the boy, with an eyepatch covering his right eye and his left being a pristine silver. His expression made it appear like he was constantly angry.

A family?

Probably, but gods, those outfits are lame. Verala said. 

"You're late, Arcanum," Sophia said without a glance their way.

The boy ignored Sophia, and moved his eyes toward Naya, "Hello, Elf... We've been wanting to meet you." His expression was devoid of any respect, awe, or fear - the things she was used to. Rather, it seemed spiteful.

His gaze landed on Rula for only a moment, and Naya knew then she would have a serious problem with the group.

I feel like I messed up somewhere when the chapters get this long, but hey, I like it so I publish it! :)

Give a rating and Naya will allow you to be friends with Rula :)

Does Naya last the whole meeting?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
15