Crime Report 25: Bloodied Hands
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The amount of restraint it took for me to not unwrap heaven's cloth and dump an entire magazine of ammo into Armando's chest was so great the universe had to compensate by making something terrible happen on the other side of the globe. There he was, Armando Juarez in the flesh—the man who destroyed my home and stole Francis's life. 

I had to play it cool, I couldn't blow this entire operation based on my rage. As much as I wanted to bash his brains all over the compound's walls, I had to keep myself in check. I took his hand, shaking while fighting my rage. "It's a pleasure to meet you too, Mr. Juarez. I'm sorry I missed you back at the meeting." 

"I should be the one apologizing little guy. As a fellow sin factor, I should've met you sooner. Would you like to walk with me?" My mind screamed, "No I want to kill you and mount your head in front of my bike." But I went with, "Sure, I'd love to." 

We began heading to the courtyard, and with every step, I had to fight my urge to waste him here and now. But I had to make him let his guard down. Get him to think I didn't know anything. "When I first heard that a small-time runt saved the lives of the Isoarashi and Haoran heads, I first thought. Wow, this kid is something. No bozo I've ever hired has been that much of a badass." 

"Well, I was fulfilling my duties as a bodyguard," I said, trying to downplay my deeds. "The amazing one is my Father for even allowing me to have a gig like that in the first place." 

Armando shook his head, then wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Nah, any egghead boss can set up a gig like that. The best your old man did was smooth talk one of those families into hiring you. But you took out a bunch of Vampyres all on your own. Do you have any idea what kind of balls that takes?" 

Huge, but I wasn't going to toot my own horn on this one. "Listen, you have no idea how much that made me admire you," Armando continued, "From small time to the big leagues. You've earned the Crimson Death." We stopped before the entrance to the courtyard. Armando let go of me but didn't leave my side. He leaned near my ear and whispered, "I hope you'll like my gift. I've spent all my time since my boys screwed up preparing it for you." 

So Armando was going to do something at the wedding. He has the balls to admit that to me of all people. Considering this, it meant that if I slipped up and told someone, then he'd spring whatever trap he had. Trying to kill him right here was a stupid idea as well since I didn't know his abilities as a sin factor. Even though I was tough to kill, pain was still a concept. 

"You'll have to play his little game for now, Alex," Pandora said, "Be sure you're ready for anything." 

"I'm sure whatever present you give me will be a winner," I smiled. It wasn't the response Armando hoped for, but it was passable. He nodded and then walked into the courtyard to go take his seat. I'm sure as soon as he entered the courtyard, I'm sure the atmosphere would make a slight change. 

Coming down the other side of the corridor was an elderly paradigm dressed in white with a strange black hat on his head. two girls followed the man, each with a white robe and red pants. As they came around the corner, they smiled at me, and the guy in front approached me. "Hello Alexander-san, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. My name is Yamazaki Saboru. I will be the one to perform your cleaning ceremony... Follow my lead and everything will ." 

"Of course, sir," I said. He bowed and then held the scroll to his lips. "Now ordinarily your families would follow behind us during this time," Father Yamazaki explained. "But an exception had to be made considering the present circumstances." Yasuo must've explained the plan to Father Yamazaki. 

"Now," Father Yamazaki turned to the girls behind him. "Retrieve this man's bride. We have a wedding to begin." The girls turned back, going around the corner once again. Before they did, Father Yamazaki handed me a nice ring with a medium-sized diamond. They'd come back almost immediately. Bringing back an embarrassed Yayoi dressed in an all-white kimono with a large white headdress resting on her head. She'd had a lot of makeup on which she normally went without. I didn't know whether it was the fact that we'd already shared blood before or if it was my mind, but it surprised me how beautiful she looked.  

I did like Yayoi, don't get me wrong. She was pretty even without fancy clothes and make-up. Plus, she could fight as fiercely as any man I'd ever seen, me included. Yet there was this part in my heart that couldn't shake off my feelings for Francis. 

When that little part of me stirred, I could feel Pandora swimming about in the haze underneath my bandages. "You're annoying, you know that. You can't marry the girl and have her play second fiddle to the dead." Though I didn't like the way Pandora put it, she was right. Yayoi has been fighting with me all this time and even saved my life. Even though it was in the heat of the moment, she trusted me enough to give me her blood. I'd be an idiot not to feel something. 

"H-hey," Yayoi muttered, "W-what do you think?" I clasped my hands over my cheeks, realizing I'd been staring like an idiot this whole time. Smiling, I said, "You look amazing... I hope you don't mind someone like me." 

"Honestly... Thinking of all that's happened. I was hoping you didn't mind me. " Could she have been thinking what I had been thinking? This wedding is happening sooner than either of us expected, so the idea wasn't that far-fetched. 

"Alright, you two," Father Yamazaki said. "The ceremony is about to begin. Please stand next to each other behind the Miko." Doing as we were told, the Priest stood in front of the Miko as he called them. He then began to advance into the courtyard with the four of us following him. When we made it out, another person came from behind us holding a large red umbrella over our heads. It was nighttime, so it was a little weird for that to be happening, but I guess it was a part of the culture. Plus, the courtyard had been lit by torches and candles even though it was already easy to see. 

As we followed the priest, I took note of everyone attending, finding Armando, Father, and Yasuo in the crowd specifically. Father and Yasuo were in the front seats since they were the patriarchs of our families. Armando was seated, which made it easier to keep an eye on him for the others. I didn't know whether he did that himself or someone forced him. I did notice Detective Harkness and Sister Uriel in the crowd. I guess Yasuo must've invited her and allowed her to bring one person. When we made it to the shrine, Father Yamazaki began a prayer in Japanese and started doing something Yayoi said called purification. He'd used Shadow flame to light three incense candles and set them down at the shrine. He then got behind this small table and asked us to sit. The two Miko went and brought a small bucket with a handle. Father Yamazaki then reached into his sleeve, withdrawing a small curved blade. As he took a seat in front of us, he unsheathed the blade and said, "Friends... Family... and other guests. We will now begin the ceremony uniting the Isoarashi and Murcielago families in matrimony." 

Another bucket was brought, and this time, it was filled with water. I wondered if we had to put our hands inside, then looked at my own. Yayoi put her hands into the water first, then rubbed her hands together. She then clapped two times. So I followed suit. When the cloth touched the water, it didn't come undone, nor did the cloth soak up the water. It'd been like I'd put it in my own hands. It made me wonder what would've happened if I tried dunking the crimson haze inside. Even though this wedding had an awful lot of religious aspects for paradigms to even consider. Pandora reminded me that only devotion to the big G counted. The Kami were gods of neutrality, much like the gods in her era were. I clapped twice, and even though I didn't know any of the Japanese gods, I did say a silent prayer,  hoping we could make it out of this in one piece. 

"Now... Alexander-san," Father Yamazaki called out. "Please repeat after me."This woman I marry, no matter what her health condition may be. I will love this person, respect this person, console this person, and help this person. Protecting the fidelity of this marriage until the end of my days." All which I'd repeat as he'd spoken. He then turned to Yayoi, giving her an altered version with some of the same words. 

He then went on to say, "We will now perform the union between the bride and groom." Taking the empty cup from the table, the priest went to Yayoi first. Yayoi held up her hand. Father Yamazaki slid the edge across Yayoi's hand, and blood began to pour into the cup. When Father Yamazaki deemed it to be enough, he had Yayoi close her hand tightly. Then it was my turn. I unwrapped my cloth, and the crimson haze spilled out for only a moment. Transforming into something that looked like my old arm. If I'd known I could do that then I wouldn't have needed this cloth. As Father Yamazaki drew my blood, his Miko placed three cups varying in size in front of us. Then Father Yamazaki filled each up with the combined mixture of blood. We were then instructed to drink once from the first up. I never tasted my blood before, not even to intimidate someone. Since we were drinking from cups, it wouldn't be as awkward to drink in front of so many people. From each cup, we drank three times. As the blood passed into my lips I could taste Yayoi's sweet blood. But now it had a bitter aftertaste much like coffee, so that part must've been me. 

It was after this that Father Yamazaki had us exchange the rings. When I put on Yayoi's, I had a strange pain in my chest. It was like when I found that Vampyre in Gisueppe's place. Something was going on, yet it was dangerous to act any differently than I had been so far. Since I had my cloth unwrapped, I could at least leave him be. I may not have had Wanda, but I did have my other weapons handy. After Yayoi placed the band on my finger, Father Yamazaki had us give silk and grain rice to the Isoarashi's deities Amaterasu and Susanoo. I could hear some murmuring in the crowd among the Isoarashi-Gumi and the Huang triads. Something about a sword that needed to be given to me and why wasn't it given? I didn't hear Haoran say anything though which meant he either knew or understood. 

Father Yamazaki then turned us around to face the crowd. "Thank you, family, friends, and guests. It is my pleasure to present the union between the Isoarashi and Murcielago families. You may now begin or start with the offerings."

The entire crowd burst into cheers, and our families in particular began to approach us. The Miko had set a table down in front of us for any offerings they'd bring. Each person came carrying an envelope filled with money, setting them down in front of us. Father and Beatrice took a seat next to me as Yasuo and his wife took a seat next to Yayoi. After our immediate family joined us, the other bosses began to bring their offerings. I'm pretty sure that after today, we'd have more cash than I'd ever earned under my father. When the offerings by the bosses were done, Yasuo had the money taken to a safe location, even going so far as to have Goro and Kazuma guard it. 

Everyone else was allowed to bring us offerings, which still consisted of money. Yet the one person in the room that mattered most now was Armando, who came strolling up the aisle with something that wasn't an envelope of money. It was a long wooden box that was small enough to carry with one arm. As soon as he made it to our little table, Yayoi and I braced ourselves for whatever he had planned. 

"Congratulations, you two, It's always a pleasure seeing two families tie the knot. I hope this little gift will satisfy the happy couple. Unfortunately, my wallet is a little dry." Armando then presented the little box to us. Holding it out so that everyone could see. There was something about the box that felt extremely abnormal. The pain in my chest grew so much that I started clutching it. With my pain now, visible Yasuo and my Dad tried to step in between Armando and me. But it was too late. With the most bone-chilling cackle I've ever heard, Armando opened the box, revealing a small jar. 

"My Pithos!" Pandora shouted. "Quick boy, get away!" But it was too late. My exposed arm lost its form and became unresponsive. I could feel my chest burning to the point where I almost tipped over. "Pandora! What's going on?" 

"He's attempting to seal your soul into the Pithos. If you do not move this instant, he'll kill you!" Whatever I could think of it would be too late. As I tried to put some distance between Armando and I, the former manifested a strange-looking curved dagger in his hand. I'd never seen anyone move as fast as he did, and the only thing I could do was close my eyes and prepare for the pain. 

Hearing steel entering flesh had never sounded so sickening. However, when I didn't feel anything pierce me, that's when the sound became infinitely worse. When I opened my eyes, I saw my Father standing in front of me with the blade poking out of his back. At that moment, I saw Francis again. A Vampyre's arm was stuck in her stomach with blood raining down from her wound. Again, someone I cared about had been taken from me. I could feel the abnormal power from the Pithos smothering the dagger. All I could do was watch as my father turned back to me. 

"Live, son... Carry on... the Murcielago name..." My Father turned back to his killer, his hands erupting in shadow flame. Using the last of his strengths, he grabbed Armando's face and burned him until Father could no longer stand. Armando screamed as the flames melted the left side of his face, and then he shouted, "Start shooting you morons!" 

From above the courtyard walls, paradigms flew over and landed in the courtyard, then started firing on the crowd of people before them. Luckily Armando was louder than he needed to be allowing for most of the people in the front to take cover. Then next came the Vampyres who leapt over the walls as well. 

When our side started shooting back, the entire courtyard turned into a battlefield. Paradigms and vamps killing each other left and right. There was no time to even see who was dying and who was fighting. The best glimpse I got into the carnage was the horde of guards shielding the Queen. 

Yasuo and Yayoi grabbed me by the shoulders with Yasuo saying, "We must leave now!" Struggling to get to my feet, the three of us turned back to the shrine, and Yasuo pulled a thick rope hanging from within. A portion of the shrine began sinking into the floor, revealing a hidden door. As I was dragged inside, I tried looking back to see what became of Armando and my Father, though I already knew what happened. I wouldn't regain any feeling in my arms until we reached wherever the hell we were going. As soon as we got down to this underground tunnel, Yasuo bolted the door shut so that no one else could follow us. 

Leaning against the wall, I'd unwrap the heaven's cloth around my remaining arm. The crimson haze began to take the form of Pandora, who looked pretty pissed. "Those fools... dirtying my prized possession with their filthy hands. They even tried to kill me with it." 

"Kill you?" Yasuo questioned, "I thought you were immortal?" Pandora crossed her arms, leaning on the wall next to me. "I am... yet with Alexander being that spark of hope from the Pithos, he can easily be put back in. If that happens, he and, by extension, myself are as good as dead." Although that would've been nice to know probably weeks ago. Pandora would've mentioned it if it was a conceivable thought to her. Considering how angry she was to even see it in the first place. It meant that something was amiss

"What should we do then?" Yayoi asked, "There are a lot of people up there, and some of them could die." 

"They'll have to fend for themselves," Pandora stated. "Alexander was their target, and the Pithos is still in their possession. You saw what happened. He was completely powerless against it." Again, Pandora made a valid point, one that none of us could argue against. But there were still scores of people up there, so who knows what could happen." 

"It's a good thing our numbers trump theirs then," Yasuo pointed out, "But we can't afford to worry now." Yasuo turned to me, "Alex, can you stand?" My strength still hadn't returned to me yet. Considering Pandora was using my remaining arm to manifest herself. It wouldn't be easy to move around so much. "I'll need help." Yasuo nodded, then tried helping me to my feet. Pandora lent me a hand as well, and we started following Yayoi through the tunnel. 

"I'm sorry," Yasuo groaned, "The possibility of Armando trying something was high. But if I knew it was this, I'd have..." 

"No... don't blame yourself. I had the chance to kill him right there before anything started. But I wanted to believe in your plan. It worked, though... and that's all that matters." 

"The boy is right," Pandora agreed. "None of us, even your Queen probably didn't see Armando having that Pithos coming. The question is who is it that controls that man's leash? As well as how in the name of Zeus did they know I resided within Alex."

0