Crime Report 26: Sin of the Father
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When we appeared from the other side of the tunnel, we'd come out in a small clothing store's storage room. I remembered passing by the place on the way to Sotenbori once or twice. Yasuo told us to remain in the storage room until he could talk the owner down. It wouldn't be for someone to lose their mind over four people emerging from a secret tunnel. The rest of us spent time catching our breath while we waited.

"I hope... some people... made it out... okay," Yayoi said as she tried to catch her breath. Feeling my right arm again in the crimson haze, I manifested it and slammed my fist into the wall. "Dammit!" I shouted. Pandora covered my mouth as she kept her eyes on the door.

"Shut your mouth, Alexander. We don't need any attention before Yasuo can advocate for us." Pushing her hand away, I tried standing to my feet. As the feeling returned to my legs, I tried turning back toward the entrance. "We need to go back. We need to save our people... we need to save Dad.

"There is no saving your father Alex," Pandora said. "You can't stand, and you think you're going to take on Vampyres!" I'd recovered enough to go back. As long as Armando doesn't have that Pithos, I should be fine. I could finish what Dad started.

"You're a moron if you think you can do anything to help," Pandora spat. "You may be very skilled and powerful, but as long as Armando possesses that Pithos, you're as weak as a human. Don't act reckless, boy." I heard enough. As soon as I was on my feet, I threw a punch at Pandora's jaw. But she stepped to the side and then kicked me in the stomach. As I dropped to the floor, Pandora kicked me into the wall and then started stepping on my head.

"Pandora, that's enough," Yayoi demanded. "Stop hurting, Alex." Pandora knelt beside me, taking hold of my chin, forcing me to look her in the eyes. "It's either he gets hurt learning a lesson or he dies, Isoarashi girl. Don't get too picky." Even if Pandora was trying to save my skin, the way she was going about it was too cruel. My family could've been dead or injured because of a stupid jar, there was nothing I could do to save them. When Pandora figured I wouldn't fight back, she let go of me and sat to my left. "Don't worry so much... Your thrall is probably saving the day as we speak."

"His thrall? Do you mean Becca?" Yayoi questioned. Pandora nodded, "Even though she might not be able to use her powers right now, she should be hard to kill. Combining that and the full might of the other Sin Factors. There's no way that Armando's goons will get out without casualties. Armando may be a different story."

"My Dad burned him with Shadow fire," I pointed out, "He's not walking away from that place alive." Pandora shook her head and wagged her finger, "Armando is a Sin Factor too. The dagger he was going to use to kill you had enough magic to destroy your soul. Be grateful you have such a loving Father."

Hearing Pandora say that, I think I would've preferred death. My old man, who had before these last couple of months, treated me as his lap dog cared enough about me to give his life. I knew he'd started acting strange ever since the night we had our argument. But I never thought what I said affected him that much. He even started acting strange after the fact. Telling me about Mom finally... Wanting to treat me to a fancy dinner... Even letting me do as I please a lot more than usual. Hall of this, and I never even told him once that I was sorry. I brushed off his change every chance I got, and now I'd never get the chance to do anything for him again.

As these thoughts festered in my head. The crimson haze that made up my arm and Pandora's body began to expand. Everything about what I could see and hear was becoming too hazy to recognize. It wasn't until Yayoi took my hand, clutching it close to my chest that reality began to set back in. "Alexander! Please, you have to wake up," I could hear her say. As I looked at Pandora, I saw that her form settled down, like she had some trouble keeping her looks. Yayoi's eyes were filled with tears as she was fighting off.

"We'll get them," Yayoi sobbed. "We'll get whoever did this and make sure they pay for all the deaths they've caused. "But you've got to stay here with us... You have to..." As Yayoi let herself rest in my chest, Pandora raised her hand. It had the ring Yayoi had given her on Pandora's finger. Pandora's expression softened, and her form began to return to being the crimson haze. When Yasuo returned, only Yayoi and I remained

"Alright... The store manager says we can wait out here," said Yasuo. "As soon as an hour has passed, I'll see if I can get in contact with Goro or Kazuma to get the situation." I was so out of it I couldn't respond, so I nodded. "I see Pandora went back," said Yasuo, "I may not be able to fight like you or my sister, but I can hold my own. I'll keep an eye out for anyone coming this way. You two get some rest." I didn't want to, but my body wasn't giving me that much of a choice in the matter. My eyes became heavy, and as I slipped into sleep, I felt the heaven's cloth wrap back around my arms.

The next time I'd wake, I'd be in a car headed toward some unknown destination. I recognized the car to be the Duessy, with Becca being the one driving it. Yasuo, Yayoi, and I rode in the back, and both were sleeping beside me. Becca turned around and saw I was waking up, "Yo... you're awake." Penny was in the passenger seat, and she turned around shaking her head. "Don't get up, Alex. We're headed to the estate. You don't have to worry. The rest of our family made it out alive. We were lucky your Acolyte friend was there."

That was good to hear. I guess Armando didn't plan on an Acolyte being there at the very least. Speaking of which, 'Where's Armando? Did you all manage to take him out?" Penny shook her head, then sat back straight in her seat. "Someone saved him during the chaos of the fighting. I saw him trapped under Father's corpse one moment, then gone the next." I could feel a blood vessel getting ready to blow when I heard that. But there was nothing we could say or do about the situation other than be lucky we got out with our lives.

After some time passed, we arrived at the estate where several other cars were parked. There were even men who I didn't recognize guarding the place like it was the White House. The Isoarashi siblings helped me out of the car despite my legs working again. When we got inside, more people were sitting in our living room. Aside from Jude and Jules, the Queen, Haoran, and Adonis had been seated in a circle. Yet only two of the Andrade triplets were present. I checked for that faint pain I felt whenever I was near a sin factor. It was hurting quite a bit. The others must've been in other areas of the house.

"Alexander," Judith gasped as she came across the room to embrace me, her eyes worn out from crying. "My goodness, I had no idea what to think when you disappeared. I'm so glad you're safe, little brother." Unlike most people here, I didn't even suffer a scratch. Haoran's head had been wrapped in bandages while the Andrade siblings looked all beat up. "I'm still a bit worn out, Jude, careful." I had Jude and Yayoi sit on the floor where I'd be more comfortable and where I could see all around.

"This was a complete disaster!" Adonis shouted as he slammed his fist into the arm of his chair. "We were almost boxed in like cattle and slaughtered. You said we had nothing to worry about, Yasuo."

"Hey pendejo," Javier jumped in, "You're gonna start blaming people at a time like this!? If it weren't for my brother, you'd be dead too." The pair started bickering over who was to blame for this entire thing until the Queen just sighed. Everyone tensed up, thinking she was going to unleash those strange chains once again. but she didn't. As she rubbed her temple, her gaze met mine. "Look at us," she said with a slight chuckle, "We must look pathetic. Having to rely on the happy union of two families to capture one little rat. I wouldn't blame the Murcielagos if they demanded recompense from us as well."

To hear the Queen in such low spirits meant that this plan had a lot more risk than I thought. But there was one thing she was wrong about. "This isn't pathetic," I went on and spoke. "When I was on my tour, I saw a lot of guys lose hope after a battle that was lost. But this... this isn't a loss." The room's attention now focused solely on me. Even though Queen Jeanne was right, and I had every right and reason to be angry, this wasn't the time. "We now know that Armando wants to try and take Iscariot City from us. Even going so far to use Vampyres to do it. But even though the plan was a bust, his plan was too." Unwrapping my heaven's cloth, the crimson haze leaked out of my bandages. It was then that Pandora took form for everyone to see. Even though we'd been keeping her a secret, it was better for everyone to know the gravity of the situation. Especially from our progenitor. As Pandora took form, she came dressed in a black robe with an obsidian crown resting on her head. She held my sword in front of her like a monarch standing tall to address her people.

 

"Greetings, Paradigms of Iscariot City. Considering the circumstances, I believed it necessary to reveal myself to you. I am Pandora the Sorceress. One of the most powerful shamans to ever exist, a releaser of the world's evils, and your creator. I hope you do not mind this, Jeanne Rotterdam."

 

The Queen bowed before Pandora. "I'd never be so arrogant that I'd object against your wishes, my Mistress." With the Queen confirming Pandora's identity. The others bowed as well despite there being some skepticism of whom they were regarding. "Good... I'm glad my paradigms have become civilized monsters since I last walked the earth." She commanded everyone to raise their heads. Then gently brushed her hand against my cheek. "This boy right here was chosen to be my favorite pet recently. He's been an especially good dog, killing any Vampyres he can get his hands on. But the lives of people closest to him have been stolen. I don't like thieves... especially when they touch my possessions. Everything Alexander owns or cares about is mine... This means that whoever Armando is working for has stolen not only the boy's father from him but my Pithos." Raising her thumb so that everyone could see. Pandora's wicked smile flashed across her face for the briefest moment. Then her expression transformed into one of pure indignation. "Armando and his thieving benefactor are to be executed on sight. We're going to declare all-out war with anyone who seeks to poison our kingdom with these diseased rats."

 

The room burst into loud cheering, stomping, and whooping. The desire for revenge and feelings of anger were so deep that the blood lust could be seen in everyone's eyes. Even Julius the most rational in our family. Looked as though he wanted to tear someone's throat out. Then everyone except those from the Murcielago and Isoarashi rose from their seats. They the estate with a frenzied fervor I'd never seen before. The last to leave was the Queen, along with her entourage of guards. She knelt and gave me a hug whispering, "I'm sorry, young man... we'll have to ask more of you in the coming future." As she left my side and the house, one of the guards shut the door behind her as she left.

Judith and Yasuo helped me to my feet and onto the sofa. One of our maids brought glasses of blood for everyone and then left. Julius took the chair the Queen sat in, leaning back against it. He sighed as he rubbed his face, weary from the night's events. "This has been a horrible night for us," Julius finally said. "Our Father and Furio are dead... Mother is in such a state that she hasn't even left her room... and now we must carry the burden of our Father."

Furio was dead, too? As if my heart couldn't take anymore tonight. Another name to add to the list to exact vengeance for. But more than that, this was a crippling blow to our family. Not only was our boss dead, but so was his underboss. Naturally, if Father were to fall, the one to inherit the title would be Furio. But his death complicated things. "Ahem," Walter said, announcing his presence at the entrance to the living room. In his hand, he held a bundle of envelopes, each addressed to the four of us. "I've been a visit from Don Murcielago's lawyer after the police reported his death. He brought these in for you a lot to read." Walter handed the respective letters to each of us and then stood beside Julius. "His instructions were that the girls and Alexander were to read their letters when they were alone. Yet, Julius is to read him with everyone present."

Yayoi held my hand as I stared at the letter on my lap while Pandora sat on the opposite side of me. Julius opened his letter and unfolded the paper inside. He'd taken a moment to read the letter himself first, and then his eyes widened in astonishment.

"I, Drakon Murcielago, on this evening of July 16th, 1918, will be writing this as my last will. The letters in the family safety deposit box must not be opened until the event of my untimely demise. I will leave thirty percent of my wealth to my wife Beatrice Murcielago. As well as twenty-five to be distributed to my four children. I don't know how much this will be considering I do not know what day I will die but I hope it's enough to live comfortably. In any case, if Furio Giuntoli cannot fulfill my role as the Boss of my family. Then I must pass the burden onto my eldest son, Julius Murcielago. I'll allow him full reign over the affairs of the family as well. As the freedom to choose who he wants to become his consigliere and underboss. You may believe you are not ready for this, but I promise you, my son, you are more ready than you realize. I may not have been the best father or husband to any of you, but know that in my way... I loved you all..."

Julius folded up the letter, allowing our father's last wish to run through his mind. I knew Father had been preparing Julius to take over the family business. With the way our tobacco sales were rising, business was Julius's calling. Yet, being the head of a crime family was a different business altogether. Money was still involved, but the income came in protection fees and illicit deals. Julius adopted Father's scowl as the weight of being the new family head fell on his shoulders. "Walter... I must ask that you no longer operate within the Murcielago family as a Capo, but rather as my consigliere."

 

Walter nearly doubled over in shock yet kept his mouth closed. Julius was the boss now, so to even question his leadership right at the start could've meant pain for him. "I would be honored, sir," Walter recoiled. "I'm thankful you trust me enough." Julius then turned to me, and I almost got defensive when I could see him channeling our father. "Alexander... with you being our family's Sin Factor. It's only natural to name you, my underboss. If Yasuo doesn't mind me taking a page out of his book using a younger sibling as his second-in-command."

 

"I don't mind at all," Yasuo said, "You are my brother-in-law. The least we could do is work together." Yasuo approached Julius, with the latter standing up to shake the former's hand. The two left the rest of us in the living room to discuss whatever the future may bring. When it appeared that Pandora was no longer needed. She disappeared into the crimson haze once again, allowing me to regain control of my arm. Tightening heaven's cloth. I stood from the sofa and began to leave the living room, taking my letter and glass of blood. "Alexander? Will you be alright?" Yayoi asked.

"Y-Yeah... I'll be fine. I need some time alone. Spend some time with your new sisters." I tried to sound cheery, but that worried her even more. Yet Yayoi nor my sisters desired to follow me as I headed for the stairs. There was only one place in this house I wanted to be. When I reached the door, I found one of Father's maids standing guard at the door with her hand behind her back. It was the same maid's father who drew blood from when he made me capo. "Master Alexander?" she called out with caution. "Is it too much to ask to get in?" I asked her, hoping for a no but expecting a yes.

"Actually... Master Drakon wished for only you to enter his study for the time being. He knew the first place you'd come if he were to ever die." The maid turned around and unlocked the study door. As the door opened, she stepped aside and revealed the handgun that was hidden. My old man must've been extremely paranoid if he were keeping an armed maid standing by. When I walked in, the door shut behind me, and a click of the lock followed.

I was now all alone... With my thoughts and the last words, I'd ever hear from my father.

0