The Enemy in Shadow
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 1

The evening scene in the centaurs village was beautiful, it was not so crowded like the cities from his previous world nor was it sparkling with electricity but it was lit up by nature itself. Although the moonlight was showering the surrounding area with its radiance, addition of fireflies was like twinkling Christmas light.

The village had a sense of bonding which was unavailable in large cities. People here knew and cared about each other including the hospitality they were showing towards him was on another level.

As everyone gathered around the bonfire for the banquet, singing and dancing echoed the night followed by delicious aroma from the food they were preparing. While their songs were about brave martyrs who defended their land from invaders, their food was being prepared from cereals cultivated in their village land. Also there were some deer being roasted which was the main dish for the feast.

"We are all gathered here to thank Master Allen, not only did he protect my daughter Nokari from bandits, he healed me as well. We are forever in debt to you and will do anything for you, if asked for."

Hasdore started the banquet with his welcoming speech, followed by offering wine to his guests. For the first time Allen consumed real food after reincarnating into the new world and he was quite enjoying it. If possible he wanted to send those foods to his dungeon for his children but the population there was so large that satisfying their hunger with a little bit of food was impossible. He could take the seeds to practice agricultural inside the dungeon but that could wait until the creation of third or forth floor. For now he could establish trading between the dungeon and the centaurs village. 

Meanwhile, far outside the centaur's village the night guards were patrolling the surrounding area when they became alert hearing a sharp cry. The sound of agony was coming from the outskirts of the village where traps were placed as a defensive mechanism. Approaching those grassy area, the night guards saw trails of blood, as if something had dragged away the foothold traps when got trapped by it. Before the guards could think of anything, horns were blown from the eastern outskirts followed by north as a signal of invasion. Realising the danger the guards started to rush towards the village but fell down midway because their limbs were tangled onto something. The guards tried to free themselves but before they could act a group of were-hyena ambushed them.

"Sou....sound the alarm..we are being surrounded..the..the Mebungos are here..AahAaaaAhahaaaaaa....."

Scream echoed the grassy plains as the centaur guards got torn apart alive and hiding in shadow of the tall grass, the were-hyena started to encircle the centaur village.

Part 2

It was already past midnight yet the banquet was full of hustle and bustle. Allen never imagined that he would see dancing horses yet in front of him were centaurs who were hoofing on the beats of musical instruments. Even the Gemini twins were tempted by the beats and were wriggling along the music.

"So you were an explorer?"


"Not just an explorer, in my prime I was an adventurer who fought many battles and cleared a number of dungeons."


"Dungeons? What do you know about dungeons? How many are there?"


"Dungeons are abandoned structures where dark energy is emitted in its most condensed form. Attracted by the dark energy, these kind of place becomes the breeding ground for monsters, if left unchecked the vile creatures from the dungeons attacks nearby area, slaughtering thousands of innocent lives. At least that was what a dungeon in the past. Due to the high accumulation of energy inside the dungeon, rare artefacts and mystical objects are found there. Humans now are harvesting the dungeons not only to monopolize the artefacts but also to gain experience through their continuous raids. It's the reason human nation are growing rapidly and becoming threat to other races."

Hearing the explanation, Allen became aware of the brute reality where his dungeon was really in danger. As the dungeon master, it was mandatory to rise the offensive and defensive capabilities of his dungeon. Information is power, for the time being humans don't known about his dungeon but that cannot be said for the incoming future. If he and his dungeon family have to survive on the long run he must gather information about everything in the new world.

While the Gemini Twins were enjoying the food along with the centaurs, Allen was planning for the future ahead at the same time he was also gathering information when all of a sudden everyone became alert as warning sounds of horn echoed the night sky.

"My lord, its the Mebungos."


"What? What about the traps?"


"The traps are working but somehow they are surviving it."

Hearing the warnings, the centaurions along with the elders went into hiding whereas the warriors, equipped with different weapons gathered near their chieftain, waiting for his next command. Among them was Zoba, the direct disciple of Hasdore, who updated the chieftain with his report. 

It would be troublesome if the Mebungos reach the village thus Hasdore divided his troops into three groups, while he lead the first group into northern outskirts the second was lead by Zoba to east. The remaining under Nokari and Tala stayed behind surrounding the shelter houses where everyone was hiding.

"Master, I sense a dark aura lingering in the western part of this village." 


"Beware Master! It's more powerful ...."

Before the Gemini Twins could complete their sentences laughing sounds echoed the full moon night and it was coming from inside the village. Allen remembered the Wildlife channels and if his memory serves right then the giggling sound wasn't something funny but horrifying because the only predator which made those sounds were Hyenas.

Something was not adding up. The warnings signal from north and east, the appearance of some dark entity in the west and now, the Hyenas. It cannot be just a coincidence. But it was too late now, the enemy successfully misguided everyone, the centaur warriors are already deployed into different directions while the enemy was at the doorstep.

As the enemy sprang out of the tall grass their Hyena like body became visible in the moonlight. Although their heads and bodies were of a Hyena they were bipeds with long sharp claws and teeth. 

"Blow out all the torches and come into formation, do not let the enemy come close to the shelters." 



Wind's Breeze[ Mist ]


Earth's Blessing[ Rock Armour ]

Receiving the command from Tala, the melee warriors carrying swords and shields moved forward taking up the defensive stance while the centaur archers stayed behind the warriors taking up offensive stance by showering arrows at the incoming enemies. They were all buffed by Tala, the shaman. In addition to that she also covered the whole area with mist, covering up the shelters and limiting the eye sight of enemies. 

Body Enhancement[ Advanced Hearing ]

Nokari's body enhancement spell helped the archers to aim the approaching enemies even inside the mist and they were good at it. The giggling sounds soon turned into painful cries yet that didn't stop the advancement of Mebungos. 

But something unexpected happened, the mist creating confusion vanished as if it was not there to begin with. The gravely wounded Mebungos who were lifeless just a moment ago stood up, took out the arrows from their wounds and joined the raid while mysteriously healing themselves.

Wrath of Mother Earth[ Stone Spikes ]

Soon swords clashed with claws, the centaurs stomped, slashed and even pierced the Mebungos but they soon became outnumbered. Even the earth magic cast by Tala was of no use because in no time their bodies recovered completely.

Unlike the Centaurs, the Mebungos were fearsome predator with bone- breaking biting force. And when came in large numbers the Mebungos tore apart the centaurs with their bare claws and teeth. Without the protection of centaur warriors the archers became helpless and were forced to engage in melee while Tala prepared for the worst.

0