Chapter 39: Adventure (6)
361 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Max and Lyla were able to pass the second floor with ease, it took them approximately 2 hours to reach the teleportation matrix. The two touched the pillar and were directly transported to the 3rd floor. Max checked their surroundings, making sure that only monsters are in the vicinity. The 3rd floor has 2 kinds of monsters, sonic bats and jumping spiders.

From the name itself, one can deduce that sonic bats give out a sonic wave that stuns the people within its area of effect. One bat can cause disorientation, however, once a group attack at the same time an adventurer can be stunned or paralyzed for a couple of seconds. The sonic bats are not deadly, what is dangerous in the 3rd floor is the sudden attack from the jumping spiders. They wait for their prey to be stunned or paralyzed before shooting their webs and biting the victims. The spider's fangs have venoms that will paralyze adventurers for a maximum of one hour, but one hour is more than enough for them to cause some serious damage. There are potions that can cure these effects, but one needs the assistance of another person.

A group of bats consists of 5 to 10, and luckily there is only 1 jumping spider that accompanies it.

Once a jumping spider paralyzes its victim, it spins its web and puts it in a cocoon.

Jumping around while waiting for their victims to die in the process before eating them.

Max and Lyla both know this information. Max still watches Lyla from behind while he detects the monsters in the surrounding. He can sense 7 bats that are hanging in the walls, while a jumping spider was lurking in the shadows. There are no covers for the spider to hide to, it uses it the shadows and the color of its body which is the same as the granite floor as camouflage.

Max knows that this might be more difficult for Lyla if she is not able to notice the jumping spiders location, or if she was not able to dodge the sonic attack of the bats.

While Max was scouting the environment, he scrunched up his eyebrows as there is a cocoon hanging on the side of the wall. He focused his attention on the cocoon and to his surprise, there is another one just beside it. Judging from its size, they look small, an adult male might not be able to fit there. Either it is a young male or a female. There is a small chance that the people inside are still alive, once a person inside the cocoon is dead, the jumping spiders devours it, and the sonic bats eats the leftovers.

Lyla was now carefully approaching the location of the bats, from her movement, one can see that she has not found the location of the spider. But her reaction is the best way to deal with the bats, It is common knowledge that adventurers should deal with the bats without being paralyzed and the spiders will not attack once they do not have the opportunity.

This might sound simple on paper, but one must have the agility and reflex to be able to dodge the sonic bats' attacks. With the usual party composition for adventurers, this is not difficult to accomplish. A shield bearer or defender can use his skill to attract all the aggro on him, while the healer casts cure, and the damage dealers stays behind to attack using long rage magic or archery.

But Lyla is acting as a solo adventurer diving in a dungeon. Unless one is confident in his skills, even with this, it is not common for people to enter dungeons solo, people prefer to party up to lighten the load by designating roles in the party.

The sonic bats eye can be considered blind, however, its senses are superb, as it can use the vibrations from the walls to identify the exact location of the enemies.

Once Lyla moved her body, her movement created waves that alerted the bats hanging on the wall, with a "scree" sound, 3 of the bats attack simultaneously in one direction and used a sonic wave attack.

Lyla expecting the attack to come, she covered her feet with aura, with a sudden boost she was able to avoid a direct hit by moving to the side, thus avoiding the full impact of the sonic attack.

However, she was still somewhat affected as it dulls her step for a second. This gave the other remaining 4 bats to simultaneously attack, Lyla because of a one second delay was not able to avoid most of the attack. She was disorientated, this was the sign the jumping spider was waiting for, it suddenly leaped from the shadows and attacked decisively towards Lyla.

Lyla could only watch in horror as she waits for her demise. But before the jumping spider could approach her, a phantom suddenly appeared behind it, it was still hidden in the shadows when a dagger stabbed into its body. It directly hit its monster core, with this the jumping spider disintegrated whilst in mid-attack. Before the bats could react, the phantom moved without a sound and killed all of the bats in a couple of moves. It was purely slashing with only his arm strength without the use of aura.

A monster usually needs to be decapitated to kill it completely, however, another method is destroying its monster core, this is not commonly used as the core will be destroyed, and it is very difficult to locate a marble size core in a monster's body.

Max approached Lyla making sure that nobody is around. He chanted a high level cure spell, making sure that all the negative effects are removed from her body. Checking Lyla's body once more, and making sure she was alright, Max moved to the two cocoons in the corner.

3