Chapter 59: Front line (7)
275 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The three finished their food in a quiet mood. It might have been due to the previous discussion for the atmosphere felt gloomy. Even the monkey understood that something was wrong and did not cause a ruckus.

His Master stood up and declared. "Change of plans Max. We need to reach the frontlines in a faster pace."

Max started packing the equipment he used with a swipe of his hand, "Did you figure out something Master?"

His Master started to run and share his ideas at the same time. He maintained his speed which was not difficult for Max to follow. This time their purpose was to reach their destination without stopping, it would be far more difficult if Max will faint halfway there.

"It is so. We need to inform your grandfather about the matters at the borders. During that time, 15 years ago there was a noble family who looked after these lands before the attacks. They were the Caldine Family, a small yet upstanding noble family that provided their people with assistance when necessary. They were also a family who highly supported your grandfather and grandmother's ideals." His Master gave Max a profound look, Max did not understand what it meant at the time.

His Master Evander continued, "No one expected the sudden attack of the demon race in our borders which was highly suspicious. The Caldine family might not be one of the bigger families in the kingdom but they are definitely not weak and lax. The Caldine head at the time was also a great warrior and a general that once served the kingdom. He was given these lands due to his years of merit and loyalty to the crown."

"However, you do not have to worry about these things Max. Let your grandparents take care of these matters, don't let your mind wander about those conspiracies. You will head to the elven forest once their envoy arrives." His Master stated as matter of fact.

"I still worry Master. It seems this is something that involves my family." Max thought to himself as his master did not want him to have any thoughts on the matter.

It took them one and a half days to reach their destination. They had to stop once for Max to eat and take an hour of rest before continuing their journey. Once they reached their destination, they were welcomed by a fully armed garrison of soldiers. They saluted his Master when they saw him and continued on their way to patrol.

Max was tired and weary from their travel. Although he was young and full of vigor, it still drained his energy as he had to keep up with his Master. Luckily enough, the monkey Preya did not cause him any trouble.

The gates were opened once and were immediately closed when Max and his master had entered, the patrol continued on their way. It seems there was a strict protocol that the soldiers had to follow.

Someone from inside the gates came out to welcome them with a salute. He had clean-cut hair that fit a military man, a stone facial structure, a beard and a stocky build. He looked like he was in his mid-30s with an aura of a soldier who faced many tribulations in the battlefield.

"The Marquis has been waiting for your arrival in his headquarters Sir. Please follow me." The man led them to his Grandfather's location. He did not talk along the way and kept a dignified appearance while walking.

The people inside the fortress saluted the man and his Master once they saw them. Their eyes were filled with respect and adoration. Everyone took the time to greet the man and his Master.

Once they reached a building with two stories, the man stopped and said, "The Marquis is in the drawing room. Please go on ahead." He made a respectful bow towards Max's Master.

It seems his directive was to only lead them to his grandfather's location and nothing more.

He gave a nod to the two soldiers standing as guard at the front entrance. The two soldiers gave a salute in a return. He then retreated in a fast pace and left.

His Master did not dally in front of the building and continued to head inside. He seemed familiar with the building and went for the second floor, then turned a right. He opened the door without knocking and they were faced with two figures inside.

One was someone Max was fairly familiar with, which was his grandmother Milana.

Milana approached Max without delay and gave him a hug. "You've grown so much," she said with melancholy. She looked at his grandson's condition while asking how he was. She recited an incantation and a bright warm light surrounded Max's body.

Max's eyes opened wide as he felt the effects of the spell. His fatigue disappeared. He had been researching ways since he was young on how to make a spell with the same effect but to no avail. He looked at his grandmother in awe and amazement.

His grandmother chuckled at Max's expression and said, "I have been researching and experimenting on this spell for almost all my life. I have finally gotten some results in the past years." She gave a gentle smile and touched Max's hair.

Max was savoring his grandmother's touch when he felt two big hands surround his waist and lifted him high on the air.

2