Chapter 61: Front-line (9)
250 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Max woke up early the next day. He went to find his grandmother and was told by the soldiers that she was in the infirmary.

He was walking through the hallways while observing the infirmary. As he continued to walk, a wide room can be seen with single bed laid near each other. There are curtains that divide the beds and a small drawer beside it. One stool was under the beds that can be pulled out easily. The place was larger than a normal sized infirmary in his past life calling it a room was an understatement. It looked more like a basketball court with how wide the place was. The place had a couple of young-looking mages with their white robes as they moved about the place.

They would look at him once he passes them but did not greet him. He did not think much of this as he continued on his way to find his grandmother. He continued walking and found the only detached room connected to this place. There was a small garden with plants and flowers. He remembered how her mother told him that his grandmother liked to take care of fauna so he knew he was in the right place. He knocked on the door and informed the people inside of his arrival.

"Come in Max." His grandmother Milana called out.

Once he got in, he saw that the interiors looked warm and cozy. It must have been designed to suit his grandmother's taste. Compared to the living quarters that he used, this detached room looked homely.

Max thought of how long his grandparents have stayed in this fortress and he felt some sadness in his heart. Their lives were so different compared to his grandparents. He felt his life was spent in luxury and tranquility without the worries of life. His grandparents, however, had to deal with the hard life of being soldiers on the frontlines. They were away from their family and friends for 15 years without any break. There were constant enemy attacks and the battlefield was only a couple of fields away from where they were.

Max had seen the soldiers in this fortress and it was evident enough of how hard it was to live in a war-torn environment every single day.

"Come and take a seat child." Her grandmother beckoned Max to sit down while she prepared some tea and snacks for Max.

"Did you like the books that I've sent your mother?" She said with a kind smile while pouring tea on a cup.

Max gratefully accepted the tea and replied, "Yes grandmother. They were very helpful. Thank you."

He had always appreciated the fact that his grandmother would take the time to send him books that are necessary for training. She would also visit once in a while to see his and her sister's condition. She was a caring grandmother that liked to look after her grandkids. However, she had to stay away due to the war.

She had an important role in the fortress as the main support in the battlefield. Many lives would have been lost if she was not there, healing the soldiers and supporting the new recruits of light magicians. Even if grandmother was to be told that her services are not deemed necessary, she would probably stay due to grandfather.

Her grandmother looked seriously at Max and said, "I called for you to explain some things."

Max paid full attention at her grandmother's behest.

"I got the message from your mother. The demon attacks have been happening in the recent years so it did not come as a surprise. Summoning demons from another plane through a ritual was never unheard of. People can summon beings from another plane by using rituals, books from the ancient era have explanations and descriptions are depicted in those books, as long as you can understand them you have the chance to summon a being from another plane. However, it was the first time someone reported that a demon recited an incantation without any effects on the said person's body."

Max looked at his grandmother in surprise when he heard her explanation. "Beings can be summoned from other planes. Was his spirit also summoned in this world? Was he given this chance for a reason? If he reincarnated in this world, why were his memories not erased?" he had these thoughts for a long time but had left them in the back of his brain.

"Wait. If it is possible to summon someone, does that mean it is also possible to reverse the ritual for me to travel through planes?" Max's interests grew as there might be a chance to travel through planes. There was a slim chance but has anybody tried to do the same thing as his thoughts? He wondered.

2