Chapter 13: Conceptual (3)
92 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Previously

But then, his excitement still bubbled up like a surging tide. He didn’t know exactly what the [Crown] racial skill did for him, but reading the skill description, it was probably some sort of body strengthening skill or something, which wasn’t too bad seeing as how it was a growth-type, and anyone who read novels knew that growth-type skills were one of the best. He conjured images of impervious armor formed from divine light, shielding him from harm and allowing him to endure even the most grueling battles. Arthursaw this skill as a vital asset, enabling him to withstand attacks, recover from injuries, and press forward in the face of adversity.

“Now, why these are locked is beyond me,” Arthur muttered, his eyes falling upon the two [Locked] racial skills; [Heavenly Eyes] and [Freedom].

Now, the fact that it was locked would surely have turned the common eye away, but again, as an avid reader of fantasy novels, he knew that it only meant they were overpowered. It didn’t take an idiot to make the connection of his race as a concept and the very conceptual sounding skill of [Freedom].

He wondered if that would mean that he would be free in the truest sense of the word, like how he would be free from the fundamentals of this world, and even perhaps this universe. He wondered if it would grant him true mastery over his own existence, and perhaps over the very fabric of existence itself.


 

“Well, only time will tell,” Arthur shook his head. It was true that this was perhaps the most exciting moment of his life, but he wasn’t an 18-year old boy anymore.

“Seriously though, how on earth did I get this lucky?”

With a poof, Arthur plopped back down on his bed, and looked at the stars on his ceiling. He wondered if there was actually some sort of god up there, looking down on them all, and perhaps that god noticed how hard he had it until now and decided to give him a break?

Arthur scoffed. “Yeah right. If he really wanted to give me a break, he would have done so a loooong time ago.”

And then, Arthur’s thoughts naturally drifted towards his sister. “What would Lily think of me now?” A pang of uncertainty tugged at his heart, leaving him torn between the desire to share his secret and the instinct to protect her from the potential dangers it might bring.

He contemplated the pros and cons of revealing the truth. On one hand, if he kept his new status hidden, he could avoid drawing unwanted attention and potential adversaries. He could safeguard Lily from the chaos that often accompanied such extraordinary abilities. It would be the safer choice, shielding her from the risks that lay ahead.

However, as Arthur's gaze softened, he realized the depth of their bond and the trust they had built over the years. Lily was not just his sister, but his confidant and the only family he had left. If he couldn't share this extraordinary revelation with her, who else could he trust? They had always relied on each other through thick and thin, supporting one another's dreams and aspirations.

With a resolute nod, Arthur made up his mind. He would confide in Lily, knowing that their unbreakable bond would guide them through whatever challenges they might face. It was a testament to the love and trust they shared.

"Lily deserves to know the truth," Arthur affirmed, his voice filled with conviction. "We've always been there for each other, no matter what. If I can't confide in my own sister, then what kind of bond do we have?"

Arthur understood the risks, but he also recognized the strength and resilience that lay within Lily. He believed in her capacity to face adversity head-on, just as she believed in him. Together, they could navigate the uncertain path that lay before them, armed with their individual strengths and united by their unwavering bond.

A determined smile graced Arthur's lips as he imagined Lily's reaction. He could already picture the surprise and excitement in her eyes, her unwavering support and unwavering belief in him.

****

"Uh. . . .Lily?" Arthur scratched his cheeks. He had just revealed the news to Lily, and he saw that Lily's face was frozen, her mouth agape and eyes widened in awe as she looked over his status screen.

"Wha. . .What the fuck?!" Lily stammered, her voice a mix of astonishment and envy. "That's not fair! Why do you get to be the powerful one now?"

Arthur's playful smirk softened, realizing that he had forgotten to mention the glitch that led to his incredible stroke of luck. He cleared his throat and admitted, "It just sort of. . .happened?"

". . . ."

". . . ."

“. . .Oops?”

"WHY DID YOU GET THE GLITCH AND NOT ME?!"

A mischievous twinkle danced in Arthur's eyes as he savored the tables turning. He couldn't resist the opportunity to tease his sister, gently poking at her playful envy. "Oh, come on, Lil. Don't be so jealous. It's just a little taste of what it feels like to be on the winning side for once," he teased, unable to contain a playful smirk.

Lily pouted, her lower lip jutting out in an exaggerated display of discontent. "But it's not fair! I wanted to be the overpowered one! You’re totally stealing my thunder right now," she whined, feigning annoyance while a playful glimmer remained in her eyes.

With a playful smirk, he replied, "Finders keepers, losers weepers. Sorry, not sorry."

Lily pouted, her bottom lip jutting out in a comical display of faux indignation. "That's not fair, Arthur! I demand a rematch! Give me a rematch! Hello, system?! Aliens?! Goddd? Whoever the fuck’s up there, I want a re-do too!"

Arthur laughed. It was a rare sight to witness Lily in this vulnerable state, and he couldn't resist teasing her a little more but he decided to stop. “Stop looking so miserable, Lil. You have the goddess of wisdom and strategy, no - you’re basically a god right now, is it not true?”

Lily pouted, teary-eyed but she nodded her head. “*Sniffs* But I wanted to be stronger than you. You’re always the one protecting me, and taking care of me ever since Mom and Dad died.”

Lily softly jabbed Arthur in his stomach. “Stupid.”

“Oof,” Arthur pulled Lily close for a hug. He didn’t know that Lily had been feeling like that. Now he understood the little smile she had on her face when she realized he had gotten a [Mortal].

“Well, your brother may be stupid but at least I have the goddess of wisdom to make up for it,” Arthur petted Lily’s long, chestnut hair. “Isn’t that right?”

Lily smiled against his chest. “Hmph.” She gave her brother another jab in the stomach before pulling herself away and pointing at him. “You may win this round, but don’t get too comfortable just yet or you’ll regret it.”

Arthur chuckled, wrapping his arm around his sister's shoulder. "I'll be waiting for that day, Lil."

****

Ding!

<<System Notification>>

[Attention, Players! The world is about to undergo its next evolution in 24 hours. Please make necessary preparations and ensure you are in a safe location during the transition. This evolution will introduce new challenges, quests, and opportunities. Good luck!]

[Remaining Time: 22 hours]

Arthur stared at the system notification, along with Lily as they both wondered what on earth was going to happen after the next evolution like the system said. Was the world really going to turn into a game? Were monsters going to start spewing out of portals like in the webnovels they read? What exactly was going to happen?

 


Please, please make sure to write down a comment or two below on your opinions of the story! Also check out my patreon guys, if you like what I'm posting.

Check it out here at my patreon -----> http://patreon.com/user?u=94155299

4