Kit & Cammie
37 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cammie tapped away on her mini computer, setting the optimal calibrations for the race. "This is it, Kit" she said eagerly to the large dragon sitting lazily beside her, "this is the one that'll get us noticed!" The orange dragon made an approving noise that sounded like a dopey groan. The two of them had gone through thick and thin for the past four months, trying to get their names out there in the dragon racing community, but they'd mostly managed to get scrapes, bruises, and light hospital visits. At least they had one trick up their sleeves; they were fast; wicked fast. And they were currently working on adding precision turning and turbo braking to that, which was what Cammie was in the middle of tweaking. Kit gave a low moan and nudged Cammie impatiently, then once more when she didn't respond, then one last time a little harder, which knocked her on her back. She huffed as she sat back up and brushed a strand of blue hair out of her face. "Almost done, okay? Just a little longer—"

 

Cammie was cut off by the sound of a light chuckle. She peeked around Kit's massive tail and saw an all-too-familiar face. "You know," said the boy with greased back hair, "if there's any reason you aren't pro material, it's this right here." The boy known only as Ten gestured at the big orange dragon. Cammie gritted her teeth. "His name is Kit, and he's the best dragon this side of the wall. Faster and smarter than yours, for sure." Kit cocked his head and opened his mouth in affirmation, tongue drooping out. Ten shook his head with a smirk. "I'm not talking about his ability to race, that's another topic entirely. No, what I mean is how you treat your dragon. It is your vehicle, not your pet. The skill is all in the driver, and you are the one controlling this beast. Let's hope your skill is enough to keep you from spinning out again. This would be the last race you'd want to be caught doing that in." He chuckled again and walked off, presumably to where his ride was kept.

 

Cammie was steaming. To keep herself from breaking her computer, she stood up and paced the floor. She let out an exasperated groan. "I hate him! Who does he think he is, talking to us like that? Why, I oughta..." She kicked a spanner across the floor in frustration, then stood seething for a moment. Kit made a high pitched whine and lifted his tail, wrapping it around Cammie's waist and pulled her in a strange embrace. Cammie's expression melted from one of anger to one of joy. "You're right, Kit, who cares about what he says, you and me are a team! None of that 'controlling the beast' stuff, you are just as important as me in this race!" She beamed and hugged the tail back, and Kit groaned happily. Once she disentangled herself from the hug, she sat back down and put the finishing touches on the calibrations. "And... There! We're done! Spread your wings out so I can see!" Kit obeyed, and with a press of a button, a purple light surged through the circuits running the length of the floppy wings. Kit shivered and gave a startlingly strong roar. Cammie jumped back in surprise, but immediately leaned in closer, her eyes wide and a smile plastered on her face. "This is it..." She muttered happily, and she packed up the computer, and hopped into the harness, securing herself to the dragon's back. "Let's ride, Kit," she called to her orange companion, and they flew off to the starting line with great haste.

3