Chapter Nine – Byakuya
464 6 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first day of Aisuri Ketsueki's induction into Squad Six had finally arrived. She stood nervously outside the grand wooden doors of Captain Byakuya Kuchiki's office, her Squad Six uniform pristine, and her Zanpakuto, Kaatei, a comforting weight at her side. Renji Abarai had brought her here for a pivotal meeting, and the air was charged with anticipation.

Renji knocked on the door, and it slid open gracefully. Captain Byakuya Kuchiki, seated behind his imposing desk, looked up from his paperwork with his usual air of cool detachment. His penetrating lavender eyes settled on Aisuri, and silence filled the room until Renji spoke up.

"Captain Kuchiki, I'd like to introduce Aisuri Ketsueki," Renji began, his voice steady. "Today is her first day with Squad Six, and she wishes to take the vacant Third Seat."

Byakuya acknowledged Renji's words with a subtle nod before addressing Aisuri directly. "Aisuri Ketsueki, you seek to claim the position of Third Seat in Squad Six on your very first day. An ambitious goal, but one that I will consider."

Renji, ever confident, added, "Captain, if Aisuri proves herself lacking in any way, she's more than willing to face any challenge to her claim. We believe she has the skills and potential."

Byakuya leaned back in his chair, his gaze still focused on Aisuri. "Very well, Renji. Let us put her conviction to the test. Aisuri, to claim the Third Seat, you will have to prove your worth by facing a gauntlet of duels. You will start from the lowest-ranked seated officer and work your way up. Only if you defeat each officer in succession will you be granted the Third Seat."

Aisuri nodded firmly, accepting the challenge with determination. "I am ready, Captain."

With that, Renji and Aisuri exited Captain Byakuya's office, the weight of the upcoming trials hanging heavily in the air. It was her first day in Squad Six, and Aisuri knew that she had a long and challenging journey ahead of her. As they walked toward the training grounds, she couldn't help but wonder about how this was going to go. Kaatei seemed confident in her abilities, but she was less so. The sword was odd, such a peculiar means of growing stronger, but she would make the attempt at landing a seated position.

Of course, these duels weren't supposed to be fatal, and it wouldn't do for her or her opponent to kill each other. She saw each member of the squad gather in the training yard. Captain Kuchiki and Vice-Captain Abarai took seated positions facing the training yard, as did every other member of the officer seats except for the thirteenth seat, whom she was set to face first, and of course, the first four opponents were dealt with rather handily, appointed more for technical skill rather than power. Her Shunpo was simply much too difficult for these four to handle.

Under the blazing sun, Aisuri confidently faced her fifth opponent, having breezed past the first four duels with a display of growing skill and determination. The squad members watched in awe as her swordsmanship and reiatsu control improved with each victory.

Now, standing before her was a formidable seated officer, renowned for their mastery of kido and precision in combat. Their eyes locked onto Aisuri's, their determination mirrored by her own.

The duel began, and the clash of swords echoed across the training grounds. Aisuri dodged a flurry of precise strikes, her movements fluid and calculated. She countered with a burst of reiatsu, forcing her opponent back momentarily. But they recovered quickly, their skill evident as they launched a series of kido spells that Aisuri barely managed to deflect.

Sweat poured down Aisuri's brow as she parried blow after blow, her determination unwavering. She could feel the eyes of the squad members on her, urging her to push forward. With a sudden burst of energy, she launched a powerful attack of her own, sending her opponent reeling.

However, her victory was not assured. The seated officer retaliated with a potent kido spell, catching Aisuri off guard. She gritted her teeth, her resolve deepening. This duel was pushing her to her limits, but she refused to back down.

The battle raged on, each clash of swords and burst of reiatsu pushing Aisuri further into exhaustion. Her opponent's skills were formidable, and it seemed they had an answer for every move she made. But Aisuri's determination burned brighter with each passing moment.

Finally, in a moment of sheer willpower, Aisuri launched a devastating attack, catching her opponent off balance. The seated officer staggered back, their defense weakened. Seizing the opportunity, Aisuri delivered a decisive strike, disarming her adversary and winning the duel.

The training grounds erupted into cheers and applause as Aisuri emerged victorious from her most challenging battle yet. She panted heavily, her body weary but triumphant. Five duels down, seven more to go on her journey to claim the Third Seat of Squad Six.

Meanwhile, In the inner world, Kane was ecstatic! Every blow landed, whether it be onto Aisuri or her opponent, granted him a blood point, and he was immediately rewarded for his doing so. After all, it only cost him twenty blood points to unlock his Shikai form. He was a fair bit short, but she had seven more opponents to go! He was making a killing!

Aisuri's next opponent stepped forward, and the anticipation in the air grew thick. This seated officer was renowned for their incredible speed and agility, making them a formidable adversary. As they squared off, the tension was palpable.

The duel began with a rapid exchange of strikes. Aisuri's Shunpo, honed through years of training, allowed her to keep up with her opponent's blindingly quick movements. Their swordplay was like a whirlwind, but Aisuri's speed and reflexes proved a match. She deftly parried each attack, demonstrating her mastery of Hakuda techniques.

Her opponent's relentless assault showed no signs of stopping, but Aisuri's agility and quick thinking allowed her to stay on even footing. She flowed through the dance of combat, using her Shunpo to dart around the battlefield with grace.

Aisuri knew that relying on her Zanjutsu and Kido skills in this duel would be futile. Instead, she decided to play to her strengths. With another burst of Shunpo, she closed the distance between them in the blink of an eye, delivering a swift strike that caught her opponent off guard.

The seated officer staggered, surprise evident in their eyes. Aisuri seized the moment, capitalizing on her superior speed and Hakuda techniques. She launched a flurry of calculated strikes, exploiting her opponent's momentary vulnerability.

The duel reached its climax as Aisuri unleashed a powerful finishing move, disarming her adversary and securing her sixth victory. The training grounds erupted in applause, the squad members acknowledging her remarkable agility and strategic prowess.

Breathing heavily but with a triumphant smile, Aisuri bowed respectfully to her opponent.

"Six duels down, six more to go," Kaatei informed.

Aisuri's eighth opponent stepped forward, their reputation preceding them as a master of close combat. The training grounds buzzed with anticipation as the duel commenced. Fatigue weighed heavily on Aisuri's limbs from her previous battles, and she knew this duel would push her to the brink.

Her opponent was relentless, launching a barrage of strikes and kicks with precision. Aisuri's Shunpo and Hakuda skills allowed her to keep up, but she could feel her strength waning with every exchange. Each strike she blocked sent shockwaves of pain through her arms, and she knew she was on the brink of exhaustion.

As the duel wore on, Aisuri's movements became less fluid, and her defenses started to crumble. Her opponent pressed the advantage, launching a powerful combination that sent her staggering. It seemed victory was slipping away.

Summoning every ounce of her determination, Aisuri made a desperate move. With a burst of Shunpo, she closed the distance between them and unleashed a flurry of strikes, her Hakuda techniques landing with precise accuracy. It was a last-ditch effort, fueled by sheer willpower.

The training grounds fell into tense silence as the flurry of blows reached its climax. Aisuri's opponent, battered and on the verge of defeat, could not withstand the relentless assault. With a final, powerful strike, Aisuri disarmed her adversary, barely securing her eighth victory.

The squad members erupted into cheers and applause, but there was a palpable sense of relief in the air. Aisuri had won, but it had been a close call. She stood panting, her body aching and her energy depleted. It was clear that the toll of her battles was catching up with her.

And catch up it did. Her ninth opponent was stronger than her in every regard, and she knew she couldn't defeat him even if she were at her peak. He was holding back against her, giving her face by not just wiping the floor with her.

With each clash of their blades, Aisuri felt the weight of her fatigue and her own limitations. Her movements were sluggish, and her strikes lacked their former precision. Her opponent, on the other hand, moved with effortless grace and power, clearly toying with her.

As the duel continued, it became increasingly clear that Aisuri was outclassed. Her opponent's superiority was undeniable, and there was no doubt that the outcome of this battle was inevitable. Aisuri's body ached, and her spirit was faltering.

Just when it seemed like she would reach her breaking point, a surge of reishi flowed through her. Captain Byakuya Kuchiki, with his keen perception, had sensed the shift in energy and paused the fight, his usual composed expression unchanged.

Aisuri's body trembled as she felt herself being pulled into the inner world of her Zanpakuto, Kaatei. In the ethereal landscape of her soul, she faced the imposing figure of Kaatei, his eyes filled with disappointment.

"You are weak, Aisuri," Kaatei's voice echoed through her mind, his words cutting deep. "Why do you think I pushed you into these battles? Your will is lacking, and you have yet to understand what it truly means to wield my power."

Aisuri swallowed hard, her eyes downcast. She had been struggling to find her purpose and strength as a Soul Reaper, and Kaatei's words struck a chord within her.

"Why, Kaatei?" Aisuri's voice trembled as she spoke. "What do you want from me?"

Kaatei's stern expression softened slightly. "I want you to realize your potential. To embrace the power within you. To embrace what it means to be a warrior."

As Aisuri contemplated Kaatei's words, she felt a surge of determination welling up within her. She knew what she had to do.

Back in the real world, she looked at Captain Byakuya with renewed resolve. "I'm ready to continue, Captain."

Byakuya nodded in acknowledgment, and the duel resumed. As her opponent advanced with renewed confidence, Aisuri threw him a grin, then roared.

"LET BLOOD BE OUR SACRAMENT!"

21