Chapter 26
127 6 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aise charged at Chalia, swinging his sword. At the last moment, he reversed momentum, leaning in and striking with his elbow to her breastplate. She staggered back before she brought her sword up to block.

Aise smirked and dropped low, aiming a thrust at her thigh. She gasped and tried to dance out of the way, taking the hit on her left instead of the targeted right thigh.

"AH! SONOFABITCH!" she shouted.

Aise stood and raised his eyebrow, "I got you! I finally got you!"

Chalia grimaced as she rubbed her thigh, "Yes, you did. It's taken four years, but you finally got me."

Aise turned and began walking away. He heard a crack behind him. He dove into a roll forward, coming up with the point of his practice blade aimed right at Chalia's throat.

"Not so fast. You should know better than to turn your back on your enemy," she said.

He nodded, "You're right. That was stupid of me."

She smiled and stood up, "You've got amazing reflexes though. To dodge, turn, and counter, then stopping just before real damage. I'm genuinely amazed, Aise."

He scratched the back of his head, "Well... I am a dragonling. We are faster than most other races."

Chalia shook her head, "It's more than that, Aise. When we started this four years ago, you had raw talent but I was able to hit you three times before you could react."

Aise opened his mouth to reply when he was interrupted by a melodically high voice, "BIG BRUDDA!"

He turned to see Nina, his three-year-old little sister running over to him. He knelt and held his arms out, "Nina! What're you doing outside the gate!"

She ran up and wrapped her little arms around him, her tiny wings fluttering as he lifted her up, "Wade-y Nexah said to tell you 'it's time'. Time for what, Big Brudda Aise?"

He smiled at her, "Time to make you a real princess, Nina. Let's head back. You'll be staying with Nexah for a little while, but I'll come back and take you to our new home when it's all set up, okay?"

She nodded and hugged him as he beat his wings and lifted off, flying toward the gate.

Chalia sighed and walked back, following them, though at a much slower speed.

***

Aise entered his house, built just outside the gate to the city. He placed Nina on the floor, "Are you hungry?"

She nodded. He walked into the kitchen with her right on his heels, "What did you want to eat?"

She thought for a moment, "PANCAKES!"

Aise chuckled, "You had pancakes for breakfast. we're talking about lunch now."

"Um..."

"How about a BLT with a pickle spear?"

She nodded, "Okay."

Aise pulled out some bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, and the bread.

Nina jumped onto the table, watching him cook. He made the sandwich and handed it to her, "Eat up. Nexah's will be here in a few minutes."

She frowned and bit into the sandwich.

There was a knock on the door, "That would be her."

Aise walked to the front door, opening it to allow Nexah inside, "Nina is in the dining room. Is everyone ready?"

Nexah smirked, "Certainly. Your army is assembling. You'll meet them at Pentaleven in a week. Then you'll head across the lake and hit the capital. What's your plan?"

Aise leaned against the back of the couch, crossing his arms over his chest, "I've been thinking about it since that night we showed up on your doorstep... We've had good luck walking through the front gate-"

"You don't want to do that this time. Any survivors from the last two times would've handed off that strategy. He'll be prepared for that this time."

Aise sighed, "You didn't let me finish. It's worked twice now. He's going to likely expect us to pull the same stunt. The dragons will hit from the back. I'll talk to Prisoph and see if she knows a way the ground troops can hit from under the castle. We'll reduce the castle to dust then we'll rebuild in Pentaleven. While that's being done under Momma Kelleece and Momma Cerrei, I'll travel around staking my claim as the new ruler of Gratia - Which I'll likely rename."

Nexah nodded as he spoke, "You've thought ahead. The important part is how to kill the opposition. And having two teams - covert and air force will definitely help you immensely. If either team fails, the other can still succeed. Will you lead from the back, issuing commands?"

Aise smirked, "You obviously don't know me that well, Nexah. After all this time, and you still think I'd sit back and yell instead of being at the front, leading my army."

"Good. I just wanted to be sure. So what will you name this new country?"

Aise shrugged, "I'm not sure yet. I want it to reflect a change in direction, but still symbolize the people."

Nexah raised her eyebrow, "What about your last name?"

Aise chuckled, "I don't have a last name. I'm just a commoner."

Nexah shook her head, "Nobles all have last names. Taken when their ancestors took their nobility at the tip of a sword, Aise. Now you're doing that. So take a last name for yourself."

"I'll think about it," he replied.

Nina walked out, her plate and hands greasy, "Bye, Aise."

Aise bent and kissed the top of her head, "Bye, Nina. Take care and listen to Nexah."

She nodded. Nexah motioned toward the door, "Let's go. We need to get there before the others start moving out."

"Alright," Aise replied.

Nina waved at Aise and he waved back as they left the house. Not for the first nor last time, he prayed to the dragon goddess that he'd be able to see his sister again, once this was all over.

***

An hour later, Aise stood outside his home, watching as his friends gathered. Laz, Sey, and Traza all met him with a kiss each. Kelleece, Cerrei, Loralei, and Chalia all stood nearby. Aise raised his voice to be heard by the group.

"Welcome, friends and family. Today we set off on our way to claim the empire of Gratia for ourselves. While I may be the emperor, trust that all of you will be instrumental in claiming the throne. Each of you will be valuable allies for me to have in our upcoming war, and after. I'll need council, after all. Lazuli, Seymour, Traza... I look forward to ruling with each of you by my side. Mommas Kelleece and Cerrei, I'll need your council and wisdom to rule effectively. Chalia, I'll look to you in matters of war. And Loralei, as the former Princess, I trust you'll stand beside me to offer advice in matters of state?"

Each nodded to their respective roles. Laz was the first to speak up, "We'll all be here for you, Aise."

Loralei was next, "Indeed. Though I may have joined as a captive, in these four years, you and your family have shown me more love and been more welcoming than my family ever had previously."

Kelleece smirked, "Don't go gettin' a big head now, boyo. Yer not emperor yet!"

"And your sister still needs you, Aise. So make sure you don't fall," Cerrei chimed in.

Aise smiled to his mother, "I won't fall. We'll all live to see our new castle in Pentaleven!"

Everyone cheered and he took a moment to look at them, memorizing their faces and their cheers.

"Now... TO WAR!"

They cheered. The dragons changed and saddled up. As they were preparing to leave, Etru joined them, "Good morning, you lot."

Aise twisted his head, "Good morning, Etru. Come to join us or are you just here to see us off?"

She smiled and patted her belly, "I'm afraid I'm not fit for battle just yet. But Gharol here would like to speak with the future emperor."

Aise turned to the orc woman standing next to the dragoness, "How can I help you, Gharol?"

The orc cleared her throat, "Orc camp not work for orcs. Spent too much time in city. If orcs help claim Gratia, would Aise allow us to live in city?"

Aise considered it for a moment, "We could certainly use a good ground force... Alright, if you join and we win, I'll permit you to live in the city. In fact, Gharol, I'd permit you and Etru to reside in the palace as ambassadors, if you would assist with rebuilding as well."

The orc woman bowed deeply before backing up, "And we will."

Aise nodded at her, "We'll meet you in Pentaleven. We'll fly ahead to prepare, then grant you and your tribe two days to rest before we march."

Gharol and Etru nodded, "We'll meet you there, Aise."

The orc and dragoness turned and left, heading back to their hut to begin preparations. Aise turned and looked at the others, "Let's move!"

With that, they took off and headed northeast, toward the city of Pentaleven.

3