Chapter 37
71 5 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The following morning, Aise stepped outside and stretched as he looked around, the early morning sun highlighting as hustle and bustle as masons worked on the stone, timberers worked at the wooden parts needed, and blacksmiths hammered the nails and brackets. The fishermen had set out onto the lake before the sun peaked the horizon. In another hour or so, the merchants would be set up and they'd start peddling their wares.

He took a long, deep breath when he felt a heavy arm rest across his shoulders. He looked to the side and saw Kelleece beaming at him.

"Hey Momma Kel. Sleep well?"

She patted his shoulder, "Aye, aside from that raucous festival next door last night. 'oh, Aise, I'm cumming baby!' Ye gave it ta the wolf good, eh?"

Aise blushed slightly, "You heard that, did ya?"

"Aye," Kelleece chuckled, "I did. But good on ya, boy. Proud o' ya. That little girly's been pining after you for years now."

Aise sighed and turned to her, "Hey, Kel... Can we go somewhere a bit more private to talk?"

Kelleece suddenly turned serious, "Aye, we can kid. Come, the docks are dead at this time. They will be until nearing noon, so we got time."

Aise nodded and followed her through the town. He got a few looks and bows, but most folks didn't really seem to notice him. He spent more time in his human form than a 'draconic king' should, really. But that aside, he was content.

They made it to the dock and took a seat, their legs dangling over the edge, just above the water.

Kelleece looked over at her son, "Y'know, I ain't said it, but you've grown. You're about as tall as me now."

Aise chuckled dryly, "Yeah, that tends to happen. Listen, I know you used to hate guys. And you recently told me to just call you Kelleece. So... Do you dislike me?"

Kelleece looked on shocked and unsure how to respond immediately. "Aise... I'm sorry, lad. Aye, you speak the truth. I used to despise the lot of 'em - men, that is. But then you came along - hatched, born, whichever way you want to put it. When I laid eyes on you for the first time, my heart was stolen. A beautiful baby boy, you were, and I couldn't help but fall in love. I always saw you as nothing more than my own flesh and blood. But then, when we were outside that fort, recruiting Chalia, I saw you in a new light. You had grown. And when we rescued your dear mother, I saw that you had become a man. It was then that I realized, I didn't hate you, despite you being a man. It made me rethink everything. Now, don't get me wrong, I still have no desire for the likes of them. But you, my boy, you made me question my beliefs. And for that, I am grateful. So, no, I do not dislike you. In fact, I love you. You are my handsome son, and I couldn't possibly be prouder of you."

Aise nodded as she spoke. When she finished up, he looked over at her, "I love you too, Mom. King or not, you'll always be my mother. And I'm so grateful for you."

Kelleece felt a tear roll down her cheek as she wrapped her arm around her son, "Yer gonna make me cry, boy."

Aise laughed, "Sorry, mom."

She kissed him on the forehead, "Don't be so hard on yourself, lad. It's natural to feel these things. Just remember what I said - I love you."

Aise nodded, "I will. Thank you, Mom."

Kelleece pulled away, wiping tears from her eyes. She looked over at him, "Now, might I ask why you choose to remain in this form? You're the dragon king. You should look the part."

Aise grinned, "Truth be told, I no longer have my dragonling form. And my dragonknight without armor just looks... weird."

Kelleece guffawed, "Hows about you let me see it!"

Aise sighed and stood, "You've been warned, dearest mother."

He closed his eyes and focused, transitioning to his dragonknight form. Wings sprouted from his back, his feet ripped from his shoes. Horns grew and swept back and scales covered his body. His arms flexed and grew into claws and a tail slithered from just above his ass.

He opened his eyes and watched as Kelleece's eyes grew wide. He took a deep breath and looked over himself.

"Aise, boy, you look absolutely badass! You look like a fair mix of dragoness and dragonnewt. A flawless joining of humans and dragonkin. And what's this glow...?"

Aise looked down at his arms. sure enough, there was a faint purple-ish glow shining from between his scales. He grinned and ran a clawed hand through his hair, "Yeah, the glow makes it look weird, huh?"

Kelleece had stars in her eyes, "Fuck no! It makes you look even better, boyo! Seriously! Go like this for a day. See what people think."

Aise chuckled, "Alright, alright. I'll do it."

Kelleece draped her arm over his shoulders, "So, we good to head back?"

Aise looked at the sky, "We could, but it seems you've got company coming. I'll go check the castle's progress. Tell Nexah I said 'hi'." He turned and took a few steps before spreading and beating his wings, taking off in flight to check on the build progress of the castle.

***

Kelleece turned and looked up, watching as Nexah landed.

"Hmm? Did I do something wrong? Aise left the moment he saw me," She said.

Kelleece grinned, "Nah. He's just gone to check the castle. What can I do for you, Nex?"

The older woman sighed, "How often must I tell you not to call me that...? My name is Nexah."

"Aye, but at least once more, as always."

With another weary sigh, Nexah walked closer, "Kelleece, how's Aise doing? I taught him the basics of ruling, but we didn't have much time. I'm concerned I may have missed something important."

"Oh, don't worry. He's doing fine. And he has many retainers to aid and guide him."

Nexah nodded, "Good. That's what I wanted to hear. So how's everything else going for you?"

Kelleece grinned, "Fairly well, actually. I just have a question for you that I've been thinking about."

Nexah turned to look at her, "Oh? And what weighs on your mind, pray tell?"

Kelleece turned and walked towards the older woman, "It's about you. When we first met, you claimed you were a Kitsune. A fox. You even had the fox tail and ears. And you took ten years of my life as payment for the information you provided. But later, you claimed you were a vampire. So, what's the truth?"

Nexah grinned, "You caught that, did you, my dear? Well, I'm a kitsune. And a vampire. I'm a kitsune by race and a vampire by nature. I was turned a little over a hundred years ago."

Kelleece nodded, "Makes sense, I guess. But if you're a vampire, why'd you need that ten years of my life?"

Nexah grinned, "To give to someone else. As a vampire, my time is invalid. but I can still store time I trade others for."

"You gave my years to someone else?"

Nexah nodded, "Indeed I did. A young girl in Bloomport was dying. She had a disease that can't be cured. I gave her your years so that she can live. It didn't cure her disease, but It bought her time. pushed back her disease enough that she'll be right back there in another five years. But it's something."

Kelleece tapped her chin, "Can you take years from any being...?"

"No. It requires a deal. The years must be willingly given. I can't just take life from any I touch."

"Hm..."

"Anyway, how are things going with Aise? He seems like a good kid."

Kelleece nodded, "Well, he is. He's keeping his word and doing his best to keep the peace. He's trying to make the world a better place. I'm honestly proud of the man he's become, Nexah. I couldn't have asked for a better son."

Nexah walked over and placed her hand on Kelleece's shoulder, "He has good parentage. You and Cerrei are wonderful people. You raised him."

Kelleece smiled and looked up at the sky, "Nah, He got that from Cerrei. If he learned from me, he'd be out taking what he wanted. Privateer, remember?"

Nexah chuckled, "But he is. He wanted Gratia and he claimed it for himself. So what if he didn't use a ship and a crew. He used his wings and an army."

Kelleece looked over at her for a moment, "I suppose you're right. He is my son, after all."

A flake of snow fell between them. Kelleece held her hand out and caught it, as it dissolved on her palm. "I guess winter will be here soon. Construction on the castle might be delayed."

Nexah shrugged, "Perhaps. But I need to get back. Give Aise my best and let him know that if he ever needs anything, he can always call on me."

Kelleece nodded and grinned, waving as the woman spread her wings and took flight, returning to her city of Bloomport. Kelleece turned and headed back for the city center, and her home as the snow began to fall more steadily.

3