Chapter 24 Challenged.
231 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Entering the mansion Jin could see the restless atmosphere inside. The servants are busying themselves tending the floor, and window, clearly unlike usual. Jin tilted his head, wondering if something was going on in his absence. 

“Have you perhaps forgotten what day today is, young master?”.

“What is going on?”.

“..Your two brothers will come home, after a while”.

“..Right, I forgot about that”.

Jin slapped his face and took a deep breath to regain his focus. The event that was happening earlier made him forget about this important family reunion event. However, Jin's mind was still in a chaotic state. So he separates himself and goes to the backyard. To regain his clear mind.

“Arnold sorry, but I need to go to the backyard now”

Jin, without any warning, moved his legs and walked away from the entrance room. 

“Young master?”.

Arnold saw Jin walk away and he couldn’t bring himself to open his mouth, seeing Jin frown. “Is the young master Jin still affected by the earlier incident? I hope it was not that serious concern”.

Jin grabbed the doorknob and twisted it to open the door that led toward the backyard. The rustling grass and the pleasant hot wind passed and greeted him. Jin walked to his usual place under the shade of a tree in the backyard. 

Under the tree that always faithfully observes Jin trains all these years. Jin took out his katana in his pouch, started unsheathing it, and put the sheath beside him, leaning it on the tree trunk. He then closed his eyes, stood still taking a deep breath in and out to calm his nerves, before opening his eyes and taking his middle stance. “Let's do this”.

Jin raised his blade over his head and performed a straight swing, next he twisted his wrists and cut diagonally upward to the left, then side cut to the right. He rehearses his moves over and over again with different angles. His basic technique for swordsmanship is indeed superior but he only lacks the variation of moves for a fight. Right now he only has one move he can use and that is an ‘Iai’ (Quick-drawing) Technique. For nine years he practiced blades without any guidance from a master so he single-handedly only trained, one of the basic skills that have a potential as a weapon for him to use in battle.

In the wide backyard, a flurry of blades danced in the open field cutting the wind that passed. Jin also practiced his footsteps. He also learned how to dodge or avoid opponent attacks instead of blocking. Because he remembers a lesson from his previous master in his previous life. 

A katana blade is fragile; it is not suited for sword clash, but it has a good use for cutting. Often he sees his senior at practice, rather than blocking the opponent's strike. They practice avoiding or dodging a strike or in a bind situation they parry it. Well, He doesn't know if that rule applied here though, because the steel material for forging a katana is different from his previous world. So, his purpose for doing this is simply so he could stick with his discipline and build some habits.

Jin thought, “I think it's enough”. His mind regains its clarity while his body is drenched with sweat. Intending to finish his practice he stomped the ground using his right foot, transferred the power from the tip of his finger foot to his now raised hands and swung his blade down. 

Jin stood still, while the fluttering leaves carried by the falling wind touched his skin and finally fell asleep on the ground. He stood up from his stance and when he looked back he realized that he was not alone in the backyard. His usual family members Ryan, Marina, Arnold, and Irena and the others are present, including his two brothers and Arnold and Irena's son.

“That last swing was really good”.

“Father, what did you do here?”.

Ryan walked leisurely and approached Jin. He stood before him before raising the corner of his mouth, but his eyes do not show what his mouth does. 

“..Nothing, just Arnold told me you are here. He also said you had a rough day today”.

“..”.

Jin's mouth stitched. He didn’t raise a voice nor answer his father's question. A word from his Father made the scene play again inside his brain. A blood trail, screaming in agony, and death, he experienced first-hand how scary that was. He clenched his right fist and started to tremble remembering it. “Aw, man! Why did you have to bring that up?”.

Ryan, who saw his son frown in distress, put his right hand on his head and ruffled it until it was messy.

“Father, what are you doing?”.

“You saw something scary and you experienced a feeling called fear for the first time in your life”.

“..”.

“..If you want to become a great adventurer like me or your mother. That scene will be your everyday meal. Even so would you continue to become one?”.

Jin raised his face to see his stern-faced father looking at him. He couldn’t open his mouth. Instead, his body trembled, he cast his gaze down holding back his sniffling.

“Well you shouldn’t answer me right now. I will wait. so if you already found the answer be sure to tell me okay”.

Ryan patted his son's head, and Jin just shook his head down not uttering any word. The other party who witnessed the scene just watched from afar, not interrupting. Marina then approached the two and stood beside Jin comforting him. 

“What did you do to him?” She whispers to Ryan while shooting her piercing gaze at him. Ryan flinched his body and shook his head sideways. “Just talk between a man”. His back was now drenched. Because of the gaze of a tiger mother who was trying to protect her infant.

However, there is one person who watched the scenario unfolding with a frown and smacked his lips dissatisfied about any of this. He clapped his hand to draw everyone's attention

“Well, well, well, As usual, that inferior sword technique of yours is remarkable”.

“..”.

“Victor, watch your words!”.

“My apology, Mother”.

Victor bowed his head toward his mother. He turned his gaze toward Jin and snickered, showing his handsome face. 

Victor Midnight was Ryan and Marina's second son after Jack their first son. He has short red hair the same color as his mother and green eyes as his father, 180 cm tall with a strong medium build, and a trained physique. He is wearing a military uniform from a knight order in this kingdom, he is a cadet knight who took his apprenticeship until his age is twenty-two. He was now serving as a cadet knight in the Marquiss Vincent territory. 

Victor was a child who took pride in his father's legacy and had a big sense of justice. So he could not tolerate Jin whose father had achieved great things as a swordsman who uses a longsword, but Jin, his brother who shares the same blood as his father, chose a katana. A weapon that is held by a Beastman from the East land.

“It's been a while since we bonded together brother. How about sparing with me?”.

The people who heard his voice opened his eyes wide, shocked, but Jin kept his gaze straight, looking at his older brother.

“Victor that’senougho..”.

“Okay, let's do it”.

Jin cut off his father's word before he even finished. Ryan turned to his third son with a question mark on his face including Marina. Jin answered them with just a nod. He took the sheath and sheathed his blade, put it in the pouch and took a bokuto. Victor grinned and also took a wooden sword from his pouch, a gift he received from his parents.

“Good that is what I want”

Victor sneered and stood there leisurely holding his wooden sword in his right hand. As for Jin he gripped his bokuto and took his middle stance. 

9