The True First Day (V.1 Ch.1.7)
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
~~~(POV: Scott Cassidy)~~~
~~~(Location: Dorm Room, 1st Year Dorm Building, Optimum Island)~~~
~~~(Date, Time, Year: August 17th, 7:21 AM, 2020)~~~
~~~(Age: 19 Years)~~~
The hot water of the shower runs against my body. Soon, everyone will start getting up within the next hour. Classes start at nine. It gives us time to wake up and get something to eat at the cafeteria if that's what someone wants.
As for me, I'll be making food of my own. Not only is it a way to efficiently save on Personal Points, but it's also better than what they'll sell anywhere on campus grounds.
[Cooking Mastery 100/100]; completely maxed is a great boon for Personal Points at Optimum University.
My hands glide through my black hair and wash the shampoo out of it. Finishing the last part of my showering routine. I turn off the shower and grab a towel. Drying my hair and wrapping the towel around my neck as I look into the mirror.
The system I was born with grants me many things. The chiseled and powerful body in the reflection is one of them.
I've never considered using my body to influence anyone... Never had to. It could be an option if I need to control a girl with loose morals and slutty behavior.
Those types of tactics lead to great problems. The last thing I need is someone that's emotionally or physically attached or attracted to me. Such interests in me aren't what I need or want.
Those are thoughts for another time. Today, I need to focus on learning all I can about how difficult the tests will be. It's a standard procedure that Optimum tests us once we're placed in a class. Why they do this, I don't know.
Jennifer never knew why she was tested again so early in the year when she was here for her first year. It's a test exclusive for the first years, so we'll be testing all day. I'll gain a lot of information based on the questions on the test.
Along with the instructions we're given on how to take the tests. It's more than just an answer sheet and fill-in-the-bubble type test.
Ms. Amanda will have to spend some time explaining how it all works today. But I doubt it'll be anything in-depth, like others are hoping. The smart students are expecting a test.
My best deduction of what other students are doing outside the smart bubble...
Either finding ways to waste their Personal Points or throwing away precious time to make surface-level friends. I'm sure this first week of school will be one of the most intense for the first years.
After that, the first Special Assessment is where we'll all see what this school is truly capable of. However, that's three months from now. The more notable goal is the Assignment Competition in 28 days.
Assignment Competitions are the most dangerous for average students. They happen at random and without warning from the school.
I'm out of the bathroom after a few more minutes. I walk over to the stove and take out some of the new cooking utensils I bought. I used some of them when I made chicken on the first day.
However, during then, I didn't have anything that could compare to the quality I have now. The utensils I bought were the only things I spent more Personal Points on than necessary.
Soon, I'm cooking an omelet with cheese and lime juice. If Jennifer were here, she'd want a serving too. I have gotten used to cooking for her our entire summer. Now that I do not have to feed her, I find I'm quicker.
I can only imagine what other students are doing this morning. I don't care to waste time thinking about it. I have more important things to plan today.
~~~(POV: Michael Winrrow)~~~
~~~(Location: Dorm Room, 1st Year Dorm Building, Optimum Island)~~~
~~~(Date, Time, Year: August 17th, 8:11 AM, 2020)~~~
~~~(Age: 19 Years)~~~
My eyes focus on the fresh and swollen bruises on my body. The fist and shoe prints are clearly seen. Anyone else would use these as evidence of what happened, but no one has ever cared enough about me to take my side.
The dark, wet hair matches my plain brown eyes. Emphasizing the chubby cheeks of my face.
Always been the least valuable among everyone... Why waste someone with potential on my account...
'What the fuck do you think you're up to, you fuckhead!! Talking to Olivia isn't something an ugly fat shit like you should be doing! Stay away from her!!'
'Olivia wouldn't waste her time on a shitstain like you!'
'No one in this school above a 3 out of 10 would be interested in a fat shit like you!!'
Their voices and faces flash in my vision as I look in the mirror. Terry, Kaden, and Harley have already established themselves as class bullies, and with 37 students in class 1-G, that's saying something.
I was hoping Optimum would be a new start for me... A place where I could make friends... Where I could leave high school behind me... But what did I expect if I didn't change...
'You ugly fuck!!'
Terry's words echo in my mind in the same excited and venomous voice he had at the time. A theme I'm not unfamiliar with.
A face looks back at me as I sneer at myself in the mirror. I don't have a face only a Mother can love. Her leaving my Father for a younger man solidifies how little she cares for me...
My Father is the only one that's ever really shown he cared about me... He's fought for me... But he's also learned that it's a fight that can't be won...
Why have I been cursed with this life...
'The cruelty of weak and insecure men is vicious.'
Scott's neutrally dead and cold voice takes over the voices and memories I'm reliving. Watching him reach out his hand to me and help. The first person aside from my Father to ever do that.
I remember him from the class introduction. All he said was his name, while everyone else took time and effort for their intros, including me. He didn't care at all.
'When you're tired of being weak, come find me.'
The final words he said to me from yesterday echo in my mind... Over and over again... Does he really mean it... Would he risk associating himself with me... He'd be targeted too... I should stay away from him.
For his sake. I don't want someone with such kindness to get hurt because of me.
I shake my head a few times and splash cold water on my face. My chance for a new start isn't over yet. I can still have the college life I dreamed of. Terry and his fuckhead friends can screw themselves.
I'm not letting a speed bump get in the way of this opportunity. I'll have friends. I'll have fun. And I'll have a girlfriend one day. I just need to exercise and study. To make myself better.
The J&R Memorial Mall has a gym free for all students. When I looked inside yesterday, the only people using it were the sports groups.
That's the place where I can make myself a person my Father can be proud of. That's my dream. To make the only person that's ever cared about me proud. There is one problem I know I will have today.
I still sit next to Olivia.
'Olivia may be physically beautiful, but such things can, and will be, only skin deep.'
The warning I've come to learn about Olivia has been bothering me. Scott said very little when he helped me up from the ground. What he said about the beauty sitting next to me in class is the one I'm most confused about.
When I talked with Olivia, she seemed a friendly and genuine person... I don't know why Scott would say that about her...
Inferring that she's ugly on the inside... She wasn't, from what I could see...
"Class starts in less than an hour... I should get a move on. I have time to go there first."
I want to go to the gym and see what it's all about before classes start. While it's free, that doesn't mean I shouldn't take some time to learn about it. Then again, I might be late for class.
So, I'll put it off until tomorrow.
~~~(POV: Jennifer Cassidy)~~~
~~~(Location: Classroom 2-A, Education Building, Optimum Island)~~~
~~~(Date, Time, Year: August 17th, 11:45 AM, 2020)~~~
~~~(Age: 19 Years)~~~
Mr. Klein continues his lecture on the reproductive system of the Polar Bear. Biology is one of the subjects I find most boring, and days when it's taught, aren't something I spend a lot of energy on.
I feel a hand tap my shoulder and turn my head to see Lizzy. She's been my best friend since high school. The memories of us getting drunk and celebrating our acceptance letters still make me smile.
"Mr. Klein may not care if students pay attention, but I do. Your biology grades are important; this is a chance not to waste."
The whispering encouragement is heard in her voice, along with the excitement of today. Now that we're second years, we don't have to spend the whole first-day testing.
The real first day.
There is a celebration among the second years and higher that the first years aren't allowed to attend. Now, we'll experience the legendary party we only heard stories about last year.
This first day can't go by any faster, but that's only our hope. Cause these first three and a half hours felt like a day already.
Especially with biology.
But it's time I respond to Lizzy's accusations of my poor attention in Biology, which is, in fact, true. But that doesn't mean I don't kill it on tests.
At least from last year.
"You know I do better on every test than you, right?"
The slightly insulting tone in my voice causes her to roll her eyes in annoyance. Lizzy is a smart girl and can hold her own regarding tests. It's only when she's compared to me she falls short.
Along with my other intellectual competitors.
"Whatever, doze off for all I care. Just remember your promise."
I can't help squinting my eyes in mild frustration and annoyance at the happy voice coming from Lizzy. It's what the promise entails. To motivate her at the beginning of last year, I told her I'd let her date Scott if she made it to the second year.
She's been my friend for a long time, even before high school. And she's been around my family for a while. When we were younger, I caught her spending more time with my little brother than I liked.
I think she even kissed him once, but I can't be sure. I don't like the thought of my little brother with my best friend.
"Yeah, yeah. I remember, but don't come crying to me when he breaks your heart."
There is a slight mocking in my voice. I'll always think no one is good enough for Scott. No matter how old we get. I've never seen him have an interest in anyone. Male or female. He's only ever cared about me.
And even that is just a little.
"Don't worry about me. I'll be a good teacher to your little brother."
The sultry and teasing voice she responds with pisses me off on the inside. More than it's supposed to.
Way more.
But she's my best friend, and I know she doesn't know how much this bothers me.
~~~(POV: Duncun Cassidy)~~~
~~~(Location: Cafeteria, Education Building, Optimum Island)~~~
~~~(Date, Time, Year: August 17th, 12:07 PM, 2020)~~~
~~~(Age: 19 Years)~~~
Lunch break has just started, and all the first years are desperate for the two-hour break from all the testing they must do. I remember my first real day. After orientation and the day of getting familiar with the campus, the 17th of August is a challenge.
From the second floor, I don't see Scott anywhere. If I could, I'd like to know where he's at all times. But that's impossible. My informant has given me little information, but that's expected since it's the third day.
"I know what's on your mind... You've been shucking the priorities of our class for your personal vendetta. It's costing us lots of Personal Points."
The irritated tone in my companion's voice does nothing for her cause to get me refocused on what everyone else would deem important. No one in the world knows Scott as I do, and if they did. They'd be helping me.
But the more people that know about his nature. The monster he is. The harder the school will make it on us. If I want to get rid of Scott and do it fast, I must do it alone.
The WSA, or Weighted Student Average, will make it extremely difficult to get rid of Scott if he goes all out. It's best to keep him in his current state. Dorment and easily attacked. Unleashing his full capabilities is the worst-case scenario.
Since Roger isn't here, that leaves Allison in my company.
"You and Roger can handle our class's day-to-day motions and tasks. The deal was I only stepped in when I was needed. That hasn't changed. I haven't revealed my abilities yet and want to keep it that way."
Scott and I are playing the same game when it comes to control. He's hiding his abilities, and I'm doing the same. No sense in showing how good I really am, and Scott plays it the same way.
Allison takes a breath and releases a long sigh. A look of resignation on her features. Standing beside me and leaning over the rail. Overlooking the desperate first years.
"Yesterday was the first time I saw you talk with your sister... While you've only talked about your siblings a few times, your youngest is someone you genuinely hate, don't you..."
Allison is a bright girl who can put things together relatively quickly. Something that I appreciate in an ally.
The questioning tone in her voice is mixed with pity. It's something that pisses me off and also a weakness I'm working on. While I know my place in comparison to Scott, I have pride. During my first year, it had more control over me than I wanted.
Now in my second year, I control it. But that doesn't mean it isn't lit up inside with comments like that.
Scott isn't my brother. He never was or will be.
"Stay out of my family's affairs."
My harsh and stonish tone makes her look at me with concern and slight fear. It's the first time she's ever heard me like that. It's needed.
"Stay away from Scott. Even I can't protect you if you get in his crosshairs."
When he eventually gets information on me, that'll naturally happen. I'll do my best to prevent that, but I may end up needing to sacrifice my most important allies.
Even friends.
To get rid of Scott. Those are resorts left for later, for now. There is a steady peace. It'll last until the first Special Assessment in three months. After that, it's open season for everyone.
Including me and Scott.
0