Book 1 – Chapter 9
747 2 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Out!” Isabella makes the call, making Rosalie glare at her. I snicker from my location at the 1st base. “Easy tiger.” She turns to me at the nickname, growling playfully as I throw her a wink.

A gasp draws our attention, and I sigh knowing what’s coming.

“They’re coming! They made a split decision when hearing our game.”

I blur over to Rosalie, stepping into her embrace as I turn around, her arms around my midsection.

“Can you get her home?” Alice shakes her head. “There’s no time, they’ll be here any second.”

A few moments later three vampires arrive, halting just a few metres away from us. The Cullens stand in a protective formation around Edward and Isabella. Jasper looks at me and Rosalie as he folds up his sleeves, exposing his scars. I smile at him, radiating a feeling of confidence. He gives me a nod, accepting that neither me or Rosalie are in any danger.

“We heard your game, could you use three more players?” Laurent asks.

“Some of us were just leaving. This is our family. Jasper, Alice, Emmett, Esme, Edward, Bella, Rose, Lilith.” Carlisle introduces us, James’ gaze lingering on Isabella for a second longer than the rest of the vampires, until his eyes land on me. I stare into his eyes, quirking an eyebrow as Rosalie tightens her embrace, making me look away from the tracker and tilt my head to kiss her jaw.

“I’m Laurent, this is James and Victoria.” Laurent introduces them. “What’s your hunting range?” He inquires. “Up and down the olympic range. We would prefer if you hunt outside of the city limits, as we have a permanent residence here.”

“Permanent? How have you managed to fool the humans?” Laurent sounds genuinely surprised, reminding me of a kid falling into the wrong crowd, never making it out. Should I try to save him? Maybe if he truly is a possible mate for Irina.

“Why don’t you come to our home, it seems we have a lot to talk about.” Carlisle sounds inviting, not at all sounding nervous.

The gust of wind I was expecting hits us, and James’ nostrils flare as his eyes lock onto Isabella, while Victoria looks curiously at me. I grin at her, and I can tell her gift is starting to ring alarm bells. She breaks her gaze, and turns to look at her mate.

“You’ve brought a snack.” His head tilts towards me. “Two snacks?” Making me snort, which he apparently doesn’t like by the growl.

“She’s with us.” Carlisle states irrefutably.

“But she’s human?” Laurent sounds baffled, and I would find the situation amusing if it wasn’t for the tension.

“She’s with us.” Carlisle reiterates, and Laurent nods. “It seems we do have a lot to talk about. James.” The tracker looks away from the human, but takes a step forward. The vampires crouch as they growl protectively, apart from Rosalie who’s squeezing me even harder. I place my hand on hers, giving it a comforting squeeze.

✧ ⋄ ⋆ ⋅ ⋆ ⋄ ✧ ⋄ ⋆ ⋅ ⋆ ⋄ ✧

Chaos ensued, just like it did canonically. Rosalie and I ran to their house, while the rest drove the cars.

“I find myself intrigued by your lifestyle. I’ll visit the coven in Alaska.” Laurent is conversing with Carlisle as they walk into the house. His gaze lingers on me as he enters, but turns back towards Carlisle to shake his hand.

It’s only me, Rosalie, Esme and Carlisle here, the rest are no doubt doing the charade over at the Swan house.

“You’re not human, are you?” Laurent asks me as they enter the living room, and I smirk at him. Motioning for Rosalie to let go of me.

Taking a step forwards, I ignite Lightbringer, and I can smell the fear emanating from Laurent. A sadistic glee wells up within me, no doubt from my demonic side.

Dismissing the flaming sword, I step back into Rosalie’s arms.

A tinge of fear remains in his eyes, he’s wary of me now. Good.

“What are you?” I smirk.

“Now that would be telling.” My voice has a tinge of a demonic tone, like multiple people were speaking at once. I know my eyes are flashing orange, something instinctive in me is letting me know of my demonic changes, however miniscule they currently are.

Carlisle looks at me curiously, but there’s no fear. Esme is grinning from behind the two male vampires, and I throw her a wink, that confuses the two in front of her, making them turn to look at the now serenely smiling motherly vampire. She’s a good actress, but she’s a vampire, no matter if her family sometimes forgets.

Laurent takes his leave just moments before the rest of the family arrives, arguing loudly about their course of action.

I lead me and Rosalie over to her armchair, pushing her down and plopping myself into her lap.

They argue back and forth, eventually deciding on following Isabella’s plan by going to Phoenix.

Rosalie taps my hand, gaining my attention. She tilts her head towards Alice and Jasper.

“Are you sure? Will you be safe?” 

“Don’t you already know that?” She smirks, but I shake my head. “I should, but I still can’t help but worry. Promise me to never leave the rest, and stay safe, okay?” She captures my lips in a bruising kiss, leaving me breathless. “I’ll be fine. Go.”

51