Chapter 40 – Alchemist
123 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After they had left the guards behind to deal with the matters involving the assailants, Althaea was quickly able to recount the encounter with the Gravenports allowing Arwen to quickly realise the situation.

“I knew anyone who could recognise what she is will discover how valuable she is, but to cause such troubles this soon shows the dangers ahead.” Arwen mumbled gloomily.

He knew Ava was a special case the moment he saw the changes she had physically. 

It signified something significant among Elven kind, a bloodline evolution. 

He had no idea how a child that came from a normal bloodline had experienced such a change, but when Ava matured it would be momentous for elven kind. 

The Elven bloodline was different to that of a Magical Beast, they did not rely upon it as much to ascend in cultivation though its cultural significance and the boast in talent it provides makes it something greatly desired among Elven kind. 

Ava bloodline transformation meant she would awaken as a High Elf, that was a superior life form to a normal elf. 

Simply being a High Elf meant she would have a legitimate claim to the throne towards any of the Elven kingdoms in these parts, cultural significance to the bloodline in Elven culture is very high, High Elves are born leaders among Elves and are considered natural nobility among their kind. 

It makes them a precious resource among Elves, the only problem is they are incredibly rare, most High Elves are hereditary the high nobility and Royal Clan among a Kingdom pass on their bloodline to their offspring, though their blood may weaken over time which is why naturally awakened Elves such as Ava would be greatly desired.

A naturally awakened High Elf usually possesses very strong blood that may be able to revive a High Nobility clan, or even a Royal Clan that bloodline has degraded, it could also allow a Noble family to ascend into the Upper Echelons of Elven society since they had reached the furthest they can go and are limited by their bloodline.

The only problem is naturally awakened like Ava are ridiculously rare to the point that an Elf experiencing such a mutation among the millions of Elves in the four continents may only happen once in a decade and even then it is not usually as potent as Ava which can be seen just from her features alone. 

Arwen for all his years as a Druid had never seen such an anomaly like Ava. Even now he felt her blood seemed to be continuously changing, it was as if something was stimulating her bloodlines potential crazily, he felt that if this continued she may evolve once again to something that has never been seen on this continent in a long, long time. 

The only place that contained Elves of such status presently was the mainland. If it did happen he could only imagine the chaos it would cause among the Elven kind and may even stir the mainland that has not bothered with them for many years. 

However this was all in the future he already knew just being a High Elf would cause Ava no end of trouble until they arrive safely behind the Academy walls.

Opportunists like the Gravenports would see Ava as something that could bring them untold amount of benefits. 

He knew even his status as a Druid will not protect her from such greedy eyes as he knew the promise of a windfall would push those to the point where they would sacrifice anything as long as they can secure Ava.

However now the only thing they could do was get on the boat and head to Kaldor soon as possible, he knew as long as they arrive at Rarmose Academy she would be safe long enough to mature and have a means to defend herself. 

High Elves were prideful things and grew extremely quickly in comparison to most Elves, and one who had drive would suppress most geniuses to the point where they could only look up at them from afar. 

Nonetheless now it was time to plan for the future so he decided to ask, “Does anyone has a good idea where to stay for the night?”

Althaea stood with a thinking look on her face before she replied, “I have an idea, might as well carry out a favour whilst we ask too, knowing how shady those people are I have my suspicions about something.”

Arwen nodded and soon enough the rest of the group followed Althaea.

Ava had somewhat of an idea of Althaea’s plan the moment they arrived at a house near the clothing store they had visited earlier in the day.

Approaching the door and knocking loudly they were greeted by the familiar figure of Hertha who appeared pleasantly shocked at the sight of them.

“Hello again! I didn’t expect to see you so soon, I wonder how I may help you?” Hertha asked questionably.

Althaea smiled in response before she replied, “Well it’s a long story, and I think we can be of great help to you.”

Hertha nodded in understand as she looked up and saw the wizened Arwen, an Xandas who looked roughed up compared to when she last saw him and the small child Ava who once again shown a calmness way beyond her years as she looked up at her with her big eyes. 

“Alright come on in, Husbands out on a trip out the City so it’s just me and my Mum with my son all grown up now.” Hertha said as she gestured for them to follow as she entered the house. 

Soon after they entered they found themselves in a large lounge area that seemed homely and spacious. 

Hertha instructed them to have a seat as she offered them refreshments which the group was about to decline but Hertha insisted.

“You said the story may take time… so might as well have some Tea whilst you explain things.” Hertha replied as the group nodded.

Eventually she came back with a kettle and some cups handing one out to each of them.

Ava found herself holding a small one with hot tea poured inside, she took a sip instantly finding the hot tea refreshing. 

Seeing that Hertha was now ready, they decided Althaea should be the one to start.

“Now you know about those Gravenports, we’ll after we left the store…” Althaea said and soon enough they gave Hertha the roundabout version of the events that transpired.

Hertha eyes widened in shock as she thoughtfully replied, “I know those Gravenports was bad news the moment I’ve met them, but didn’t realise they were that sinister, well your welcome to stay here if you would like, plenty of space and I understand you feeling unsafe after what transpired.”

Althaea took that moment to reply, “Well that was one of the reasons I wanted to shamelessly intrude upon you, however I also think that the old man could greatly help you too. May we see your Mother?” 

Hertha pondered for a moment before she replied, “Well there’s no shame in trying. It’s just hard to find hope after being told by a number of Physicians that there is nothing to be done.” 

Arwen found this moment to smile as he replied, “Well lucky I ain’t no Physician but an Alchemist, and if what happened if what I think did, well that is something I can help with.”

Hertha eyes widened in surprise a moment upon realising what Arwen said.

An alchemist! The uncommoness of one is crazy, even a Tier 1 Alchemist had great status never mind those above. 

It was one of the most prized and respected occupations for a reason, though most would agree Physicians are better suited to treating  illnesses, there are unique situations where an Alchemist can be more helpful. 

Ava eyes shined brightly upon hearing Arwens words, the moment she arrived in this World she inspected the pills in Arwens little hut with inquisitiveness of the nature of them.

Before when she was told he was a Herbalist she thought that was the extent of his prowess, despite the impressiveness of his knowledge she was curious about whether there were Alchemists in this world with it being one with cultivation. 

It was only now that she realised Arwen was the more highly considered Alchemist all this time and merely presented himself like a simple Herbalist. 

Hertha seemed to be filled with vigour and excitement upon realising Arwen could be of genuine help.

She had long discarded any hope since every time she would be filled with expectations upon requiring the aid of a famed Physician to only have them tell her a similar thing, again and again that her Mother was simply reaching the end of her lifespan it would fill her with despondence.

Though now she was filled with new enthusiasm as she directed Arwen to her mothers room with growing nervousness.

‘Please don’t give me false hope again!’ She whispered in her heart, she did not have the means to have an Alchemist come check on her Mother before so it was out of the realm of possibilities but now one was here giving her renewed hope. 

Arriving in a large bedroom they found a sickly women laid down on a large bed.

She appeared decrepit and devoid of strength, seeming listless. However despite the mature women on the bed resembling a skeleton as she laid weakly, hidden within her eyes was great strength that refused to burn no matter how weak she looked to be.

Ava found herself present in the room with Xandas behind her looking down with concern.

Originally Xandas and Hertha seemed to think it was not right for a young child like Ava to see the state of her mother, however Arwen insisted she be present.

He fully intended to train her the ways of Alchemy upon witnessing her talent at learning herbology from him therefore he wanted her to get use to seeing such things, and to also see firsthand how miraculous the art of Alchemy is.

Arwen was that confident he can heal the woman no matter what state she was in as long as she was below the Monarch realm which is why he made such assurances. 

The mature women seemed to notice the rooms occupants as she weakly looked at them, her voice sounded hoarse as if she had not drunk for weeks as she said, “My daughter… am I seeing things…”

Tears seemed to fill Hertha’s eyes as she looked down upon her Mother as she replied, “They are real Mum, he is here to help you.” 

The mature women eyes opened slightly as she stared particular hard at Arwen who was the one Hertha gestured too as she said, “Oh… are you going to tell me I’m not sick too?”

Arwen gently smiled as he said, “No, in fact I know something is wrong.”

With surprising strength the old woman suddenly said strongly, “Finally! Someone believes me, I’m not paranoid, I can feel something wrong with my body! I know it’s true! I know!”

That sudden surge of strength evaporated quickly as it came as the old women seemed to sag back into bed after spouting those words with conviction. 

Arwen simply placed his hand on the women’s head seeming to perform some technique before he scrunched his eyebrows with anger upon realising what was wrong. 

“Poison!” Arwen shouted. 

The occupants in the room stared in shock at Arwen’s proclamation especially since they only saw him place his hand on the women’s head to identify the problem. 

“But how? Those physician checked her blood and everything yet found nothing…” Hertha mumbled in denial at realising her Mother maybe not ill but was targeted all along. 

“It’s a malicious poison… very rare. Whoever did this had connections or had a lot of luck to acquire it and wanted it to remain hidden, it would be hard for me to find it if it wasn’t for the disparity in our cultivation levels. Now luckily I have just the pill to expunge such a thing.”  Arwen said calmly before he grasped a pill from thin air, presenting it to the eyes of those present. 

Ava upon seeing such a pill eyes gleamed. Immediately they all smelt a strong medical scent from the pill revealing the quality of the ingredients. 

Hertha body stiffened upon realising the expense that Arwen was likely making for this as she said, “I don’t think we can afford such a pill…” 

Hertha said it with hesitance as it was something that could save her mothers life but in the end she did want to take something she cannot reasonably pay for. 

Arwen just laughed as he said, “It’s all fine. I would insist to provide it to you anyways, let’s just say take it as a thanks for your kindness towards my apprentice. We Druids have a strong belief in Karma.”

Arwen then gently placed the pill towards the mature women’s mouth. 

Hertha’s mother seemed to maintain consciousness during the conversation but was unable to respond mostly since she was too weak.

Now though she seemed to come to life as she received the pill, feeling it dissolve in her mouth, she quickly gulped it down without hesitation as she suddenly felt a warm stream fill her body. 

Suddenly she let loose a loud groan before she began trembling. 

Hertha eyes filled with worry however that evaporated as the old women seemed to sit up and began vomiting large swaths of black blood.

Hertha remained concern though felt relief as the black blood clearly represented Arwen diagnosis was right. Luckily Arwen placed a bowel for the old women in front of her before hand, which she was able to hold onto as she expurged the poison. 

Afterwards the mature women stopped, despite her body still remaining frail and weak, her eyes glittered a newfound light as she said, “I feel so much better! I feel like I want to move though child I’m so tired, I would like to thank you sir, but my body is still…”

The mature women then trembled as she felt herself forcing to keep her eyes open.

In the end she was still too weak after spending that much time on bed rest with the poison running through her body.

Arwen maintained his gentle smile as he replied, “It is fine rest now.”

The mature women fell back asleep, despite the weakness in her body, she clearly looked more peaceful and full of vitality now that she slept.

Hertha looked at Arwen full of great fullness as she replied, “Thank you! Oh thank you, how can I repay you?”

Arwen just replied, “I’d enjoy another cup of tea. Though your Mother has now removed the poison, keep feeding her these pills for nourishment, it should speed up her regaining enough strength, then she should recover fine on her own naturally.”

Hertha just nodded with great happiness, all whilst Ava stared at the scene with a newfound determination.

‘So this is what it means to be a Druid.’ She thought looking at the scene. It seemed this was all about chance, but she knew Arwen actively would look for situations like this. When they can help out a person in need like Hertha they would, it was not all about profit for a Druid, they naturally went about sharing acts of kindness.

Sometimes these acts would reap their own rewards. The amount of people a Druid help are countless, but maybe only a small amount would think about paying them back, though the gifts these people give are enough to sustain the Druids charity to many more.

It was a continuous cycle.

Ava found herself dreaming of becoming an alchemist. She knew from looking at the pill Arwen provided it was extraordinary, it must have required adept technique yet it was only a basic pill that can deal with a poison that none of most proficient Physicians around the City could detect. It made her mind full with the possibilities of what more an alchemist can do. 

She found herself even more eager to arrive at Rarmose Academy as soon as possible. 

‘I need to ask Arwen about becoming an alchemist soon as I am able.’ Ava thought as she found herself enjoying the joyous atmosphere of Arwen curing Hertha’s mother.

Tomorrow she would be leaving for Kaldor.

8