Chapter 42 – Hidden Scheme
100 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

Ardon Gravenport sighed in frustration as he stared at that large boat in front of him.

He knew it would be a difficult task to procure the child from the beginning yet even knowing the risks he still went ahead with it.

Times were changing and a man like him no longer suited such an environment. 

The Emperor was different to the previous rulers who once lorded over these lands as a Kingdom.

Before Ardon was able to weasel his way around using ill-fitted means to achieve his noble status, all he had to do was be friend the right people and use bribes on the suitable occasions, maybe add a few threats here and there, since he knew the underworld well he had trodded on many unfortunate people to ascend to the position he is in now, nonetheless the results speak for himself with him transforming from some Commoner to a Minor Noble. 

He made a name for himself as someone to be feared and as a result it has led to his family prospering greatly, Adruil was not the only City he had influence in, he had connections all around the former Kingdom turned Empire.

However in current circumstances this has led to problems. The current Emperor favoured those like him, non-natural born Nobles who used their own hard work and talent to get to where they are, the only problem is the means he had used.

So far his position had remained stable, the Emperor could not just remove all the nobles around the Kingdoms he has annexed, as this would require much work and ruin the foundations in the process. 

Some of the many countries apart of the Empire has went through reforms, and he knew changes would be coming, however the war with the elves had put any major changes to a halt, the Kingdom he was apart of surrendered to the Emperor in hopes of earning his favour and although the upper echelons in the Kingdom had changed to the Emperor’s trusted confidents they could not manage everything, leading to a number of the Kingdoms nobles to retain their position like him.

However he knew things would not remain like this. He had many enemies that he has crossed to get where he was now, before he could use fear and intimidation to remain unhindered, but with the Emperors people around he knew sooner or later there may be consequences for the things he has done. 

Ardon was a cautious man, he did not want to remain in such a high-risk location, the Emperor was both the most powerful and unpredictable person he has met, nobles like him usually did not think the way he does.

He was a commoner at heart unlike the Emperor yet he knew his nature would conflict with the man because surprisingly he values the lives of commoners even more than him, someone who was born one.

Ardon was fearful because he had sunk his claws into a number of businesses over the years that would displease the Emperor greatly, he had kept them under wraps for now with his influence but this was becoming a ticking-time bomb that would explode sooner or later. 

Previously he had no concerns on using the lives of commoners to fuel his growth, nor did he concern himself over nobles finding out, after all they cared about their best interests and as long as Ardon filled their coffers they were fine with him doing the dirty work for them. 

Yet now everything was different, if word got out just how deep Ardon was with those nefarious gangs, he could find himself in a deadly predicament. 

Many such groups have already been destroyed by some of the Empires people with many of them having to go into hiding in panic. 

It made him both wary and desperate which was why he jumped at the opportunity upon hearing about the High Elf child no matter how dangerous it was. 

Suddenly he realised that despite failing he had found himself feeling not as empty as he thought, instead after thinking over it had made him even more determined. 

‘No longer have I got anything holding me back. One last gambit for a windfall, every resource I have remaining will be thrown at capturing that child.’ He thought darkly with a glint in his eyes.

His foundations here in Adruil City had been destroyed, he had lost one of his prized assets the Black Wolf gang that dealt a many of problems for him, yet they were not the only ones under his arsenal and he had others he can call upon. 

‘I will send messages to the Cities, Towns the boat will stop at. My men will fill out all the spots that are available, whilst I will send word to form an a eventual ambush before we arrive at the destination. It will take time and patience, but my future and whether I can re build what is lost will be all solved by capturing the child.’ Ardon thought deeply.

A High Elf child is of immense value. Usually one would be so protected by the elves it would be impossible to even come close to one of them, they would grow up along the highest nobility of the elves and are basically royalty among elven kind. 

‘It is why I cannot let this one go, the rewards I can get… I can get nobility, immense wealth, everything that was lost could be regained and I could ascend to heights even beyond what I achieved here.’ Ardon was salivating at the thought of the potential gains, but he also knew he was dealing with a Druid making him turn solemn. 

‘Long as I can corner him with enough experts and his beast form is not an aquatic magical beast there will be a chance to take him out.’ Ardon thought.

There was a chance he could be wrong and end up failing yet he couldn’t find himself caring.

The amount of times he had almost lost his life in the slums yet he had come out on top has long made him fearless of death. 

Taking such risks invigorated him. It was when his life was truly on the line and he succeeded in a massive gambit that made him truly smile. 

He stared at the boat he had already bribed his way onto and smirked.

‘The former Duke is still too arrogant. The man thinks everyone wouldn’t dare try anything to a boat under his influence. If I was planning to remain here maybe I would think twice before intercepting a boat of his, but now I have nothing to lose. You won’t suffer a good end too, when your greed ends up causing problems for a Druid in the Emperors territory.’ Ardon thought with a deep grin etched on his face as he entered the boat.

He fully intended to set upon the infamous bandits along the passage to be upon the boat. They have never went for a boat under the banner of the Duke before making them have a splendid reputation for safety and assurance in their transport to Kaldor yet now this was about to change. 

They would suffer big loses attacking such a fortified boat, however he knew they couldn’t resist the prize that can be found onboard.

‘I will sacrifice everything! I can’t lose!’ Ardon thought to himself with determination as he hid among the guests of the boat unassumingly. 

He had long worn a disguise not to be identified easily, no one would be the wiser of who he is until when he decided to reveal himself.

6