Chapter 1 ‘I really don’t want to do this👍’
2.7k 8 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Ignavus>

‘Is it really too late to turn back?' (I)

The feeling of dread grew stronger the closer Ignavus drew to the battle. The strategy was rather simple. An encirclement had been planned by Army command. It was going to be a coordinated attack where the cavalry and light infantry soldiers were going to use their speed to quickly manoeuvre and surround the enemy forces from the flanks while the main army engaged them from the front. It was a simple yet effective plan on paper, but the reality of the situation was much different. If you were to ask Ignavus, this entire campaign has been doomed since it started. The entire operation seemed like an obvious trap, and he got the feeling he was not the only one seeing it, given how the tense atmosphere seemed to plague every soldier. 

'I could just run; no one would really be able to stop me...' (I)

He could, in theory, but due to all the mages that were here, if he chose to desert and they reported him... It's easy to say that death would be a welcomed alternative.

Ignavus raised his hand as the black dot suddenly became visible directly above, startling the already nervous soldiers. Ignavus held the crow to his ear as it began squawking incomprehensible sounds. He let out a sigh at the information he received. It was exactly what he expected to hear, which made him grow even more nervous. The enemy was actually there. Ignavus turned around and looked at the amassed troops.

200 soldiers made up the United Forces of Afia, or U.F. A battalion. A rather pitiful number considering they had been more than triple the number before they engaged in active duty. 25 mages, 50 archers, 75 footmen, and 50 riders. It was a pretty bad split in all for the up-and-coming plan, but they would have to make do with what they had.

The longer this war raged, the more obvious it became to Ignavus that he was on the losing side. Army command was getting desperate for a win, and when an obvious one was right in front of them, they couldn't help but bite, even if they seemed to know better. The battalion he was in charge of leading was instructed to take out the head of the enemy, which would pretty much render this war over. 

'As if I actually stand a chance of beating back an actual monster’ (I)

At the start of the war, Ignavus had been instructed to defend the largest grain production plant named Bast, which was close to the enemy border. He defended the production site and the roads that lead to U.F.A. Capital for six months with the promise of reinforcements. It went well, all things considered. Not only did he do his due diligence, but he went above expectations by maintaining other nearby production plants that were expected to be lost at the start of the invasion.

He received multiple awards and decorations thanks to his contributions to the war effort. He was admittedly high on power and fame at the time, which resulted in him not using his powers in the most ethical of ways but feeling as though he had earned them, so he didn't really care. Now though? He was on a journey to slay a terrible beast because of his overinflated reputation back in the capital as a war hero.

The enemies had advanced through the cover of darkness. The frontline of the battle was pierced through leaving thousands of troops vulnerable to encirclement resulting in one of the worst bloody battles as thousands died. The odd thing about this whole situation was the fact that, unlike the other allies who were immediately killed in the encirclement, Ignavus and his entire battalion were ignored.

It seemed as though the enemy had forgotten about him and his men. Going so far as to have their leader occupy a nearby camp they created, which was found out when army command passed on this information gotten from a diviner.

'Though if those fools at the department for diviners were any good, they would have seen the first enemy attack. Hell, I don't even know if that damnable queen is really there!' (I)

This didn't sit well with Ignavus; the same could be said for the men under his command, but for a different reason. They felt as though the enemy was insulting them by not even registering the threat they posed. It seemed all the praise for their abilities had gotten the better of them.

'What a bunch of cowardly show-offs; when given what they wanted, suddenly they are nervous' (I)

'Are you going to pretend you aren't shaking now?' (??)

Ignavus clutched the charms that surrounded his neck in order to pump extra magic to keep the intended effects on, then turned to address the soldiers.

"My fellow countrymen. We have fought, and we have fought. But! the evil that has invaded our country and dares to walk on our sacred motherland still permeates our land!! breathing the same air as us while desecrating and destroying us. I call upon you, as we are the hope and salvation for our people, for our fallen brothers and sisters, and for our families we left behind. For it is now, in our darkest hour, that hope shines the brightest!! We have been blessed with the opportunity to make history. Our enemy's leader sits not too far, is comfortable, and is ripe for the taking. I believe I don't need to note the significance of losing a Yalery in battle. Today we do something no one has done before: steel your nerves and bring this war to an end!! GLORY! FOR HONOUR! AND AFIA!!" (I)

"SIR, YES, SIR!!"

The men seemed calmer after the speech.

'These fools really are about to die for nothing. There's a good reason why nobody has killed a Yalery before. Man, it's so sad to see such a waste of manpower Afia doesn't have' (I)

'If it's so sad, why don't you help them out? Just call off the raid; nothing bad is going to happen' (??)

'What are you talking about? If I call off the raid, those mages and their stupid communicators will report it, and this massive failure will be on me! And anyway, those guys want to do it...' (I)

'That is a lame excuse, and you know it; just claim that the predicted army was larger than your current force can take. Army command is not so unreasonable that they would force you to fight' (??)

'That doesn't matter; army command probably thinks I'm a traitor or something because the Yalery hasn't attacked me yet despite doing it to literally everyone else' (I)

'Be honest, is it the statue they promised for a job well done?' (??)

'..........' (I)

'..........' (I)

'You can't be serious?' (??)

"March on, men; glory awaits!" (I)

And so, the beat-down, tired army marches on. Through the dead, dry land onto what most reasonable people would describe as certain death, a smile on their faces, for they knew their mighty leader leading them. For them, they would follow him through hell and back as long as he was there, taking the first step for them.

42