Chapter 55 ‘The hidden card’
726 6 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Ignavus>

Ignavus was walking back to his room.

Every one of his steps were taken lightly. He was practically skipping with joy.

The freedom provided by pants was otherworldly. He would periodically stop and practice his high kicks, low kicks, and any other kicks he could think of. He felt like running, swimming and maybe even trying flying. Admittedly, he was feeling himself a little too much, but that was not a real concern.

'Wait... is this a bad thing?'

Ignavus paused his little party. He had gotten what he wanted: clothes that were slightly less girly and more practical. By any estimate, this was not a bad thing. At first glance. Ignavus had made a promise. The act of acquiring these could be seen as already breaking it.

'She didn't say anything, right? I mean she would have if she didn't like them...'

He had promised to accept his situation. Being a Yalery. Being Navy. Would putting on clothes that the hero would have liked count as failing? Would it count as him not accepting his reality? In the promise he said he would try. It didn't look like he was trying, but then again... he had been a little vague on purpose.

'What are these thoughts? If Navy didn't like it, she would have definitely made some communication!'

Ignavus tried to console his mind.

'Even if she doesn't like it, she doesn't expect me to change overnight. There must be a grace period...'

These were all reasonable excuses. It was just a shame that they didn't ease his weird feelings of guilt.

'I-I might have to discuss this later with her'

After deciding to shelve this matter for a later date, Ignavus decided to focus on the now. Presently, about how despite his change in wardrobes, Marie, who was taking him to the baths, hadn't said anything.

'Does she hate them to?' 

The problems arising from his simple change in wardrobe were becoming... evident.

Marie had been waiting for Ignavus outside the dress room. When Ignavus first saw her, he started to do a little dance to show off his amazing new outfit. Marie had just stared at him through the entire thing and not said a single word. This made Ignavus pause and realise his actions. They were pretty embarrassing. Actually, worse than embarrassing. They were childish.

Marie had then turned and blankly gazed at the wall opposite Ignavus for a couple of moments. After she finished, she simply told Ignavus to follow her.

'Did she really like me wearing that dress so much?'

As they reached the bath house, Ignavus felt the desire to speak up.

"Marie... I know you really liked the dress, but this just works so much-"(I)

Ignavus stopped talking. Marie was staring again. 

She proceeded to turn around and let out something that sounded like a muffled squeal.

'Are these clothes worth all these problems?'

Ignavus couldn't help but wonder. If they were going to cause so much trouble, was he better off without them?

'No way! I just got these, it's too early to tell...'

"I'm really sorry my lady. It's just... sometimes your cuteness overwhelms me"(M)

'Huh?'

"Your new clothes look beyond lovely. Especially that little skirt around you. The way it flowed when you danced was beautiful"(M)

Marie had moved to remove the new clothes. Ignavus peered at her in disbelief while she did so.

'That's what this was about?! She really had me worrying over something so.... dumb!'

"Ah, makes sense"(I)

The words that left his mouth made him feel like the fool he was behaving as. They triggered his embarrassment and subsequently his tail.

"Gosh, my lady! You're going to kill me!"(M) 

After having all his clothes removed, Ignavus stomped over to the bath water while trying to calm down his feelings. It was the only way to regain control of his tail.

"Please don't be mad my lady. I promise next time, I will control myself much better!"(M)

The fact that Marie's tone sounded very earnest made the situation sting a little harder.

'I swear! Marie is such a joke sometimes...'

Submerging himself into the warm water, Ignavus tried to focus on things that were actually important.

'I still haven't figured out what I am going to say...'

Dinner was going to be long.

 

"I see my daughter has decided she can just wear whatever she wants now? Huh?"(G.Q)

Ignavus' steps halted at the entrance of the dining room. The voice of his queen mother sounded exceedingly cold.

"I w-won't dare mother. I have merely come to show and tell of the benefits these clothes bring"(I)

Ignavus made sure to hold the gaze of his queen mother. If there was one thing he had learned through trial and error, it was not appearing confident enough in front of queen mother would result in failure. She wanted him to be aggressive while still maintaining a submissive reproach. The only way Ignavus had found of doing this was to fight using words alone. A physical confrontation of any kind always led to a loss. All this to say, the queen was willing to hear him out to a degree so long as he didn't overstep her boundaries... whatever those were.

Ignavus waited in mute silence until he noticed his queen mother gesture with her hand. She was beckoning him forward.

'Was that too much? Did I go too far?'

It was always hard to get a read. More often than not, things took a poor turn.

'Why must things be so difficult? Uguh, come on. Such thoughts don't help, just move'

Shoving all useless thoughts aside, Ignavus walked over to where his queen mother was. If things were to go as normal, she would scoop him up with her tail, place him in her lap, and begin the arduously long task of feeding. One that Ignavus was unfortunately very familiar with.

When Ignavus walked up to his queen mother, he positioned himself closer to her tail. Openly inviting it to lift him up.

It did not.

"Ep!"(I)

Two hands had slid under Ignavus' armpits and lifted him up into the sky. They brought him onto the polished marble table where they gently set him down.

"So, did you come up with this design all by yourself?"(G.Q)

The eyes of his queen mother slowly drifted and landed on the other occupant on the table. 

"I-I came up with the design... but auntie Cura helped make it for me..."(I)

Ignavus silently cursed his tongue. It always tripped out when he was talking to her. After letting out a soft cough in order to clear his throat, Ignavus decided to speak again. It was time to skilfully sell this.

"The clothes allow me to properly run, jump and walk. They are easy to slip into while still maintaining the style and form proper Yalery are known to wear. I know what you might be thinking, will it look cute? The short answer is yes! As for the long one,"(I)

Ignavus took a second to catch his breath before quickly continuing,

"It's simple yet unique design allows for levels of unprecedented cuteness! The contrast generated by its loose form fittingness coupled with my small body allows for grander appeal. And, if that was not enough to convince you. I would like to add about how its unique shape allows the wearer to sit however they like without exposing themselves!"(I)

Ignavus might have gone a little overboard with the explanation, but from the looks of it, it was working.

The queen seemed lightly amused at his antics and that could only mean good things, right?

The queen didn't response to Ignavus immediately. All her attention was focused on the clothes, her golden eyes flashing at them with deep concentration.

"I guess these clothes are not so bad..."(G.Q)

'Yes!' 

"But"(G.Q)

'Nooo!'

"I still can't let you wear them.... unless you agree to a condition"(G.Q)

Just as Ignavus was about to let out a sigh of defeat, he stopped himself. A chance was still present. A dangerous one.

"W-what is it?"(I)

It could be many things. All that Ignavus hoped for was that it didn't concern anything with Navy.

"Whenever you don those clothes. You must refer to me as Mommy"(G.Q)

There was a short silence that followed the words.

"I don't think I heard you correctly..."(I)

He certainly must be mistaken, there was no way such a thing could be considered a condition.

"Do I have to repeat myself?"(G.Q)

Instead of thinking, Ignavus just blurted out,

"B-but why that?!"(I)

Of all the things she could have asked for, she managed to pick the worst. Why would she even want to be called that?! Ignavus could count the number of times he ever referred to her as even mother on one hand. One hand! It was a childish way for someone to call their mother. It was almost as if she is trying to drive in hard the point that he is still a child... that was exactly it, wasn't it? She must still be searching for ways to make sure he behaves.

The harsh glare that was directed his way made him realise his error.

"Sorry for shouting..."(I)

Ignavus could only marvel at the direction life was taking him. It was one none would envy.

'Come on! It's just a stupid name... think of the benefit! You can do this!'

Ignavus knew it was more than just a simple name. Having to call her Mommy all the time was going to continue to mess with his head.

'But the clothes...!'

Was this going to be worth it? Certainly not. But... Ignavus had had a taste of freedom. It was more than addicting.

Mustering up his courage, Ignavus made his decision.

"Please may I wear my new clothes... M-Mommy"(I)

He did it. He said it.

"Certainly, my little one. You may"(G.Q)

'Little one...'

She really was driving it in.

"Ah, the food is here. I believe we won't be having any of the usual problems?"(G.Q)

Ignavus felt a tail wrap around him as he watched Marie bring in the food.

It was time to eat.

"Sure..."(I)

The queen stared at Ignavus who was sat on her lap. She was waiting for something.

"M-Mommy..."(I)

The queen let out a small smile.

"You're truly going to be something special my little girl. So well-behaved..."(G.Q)

 

Ignavus was walking again. Back to his room. He had just sold his dignity for some nice pairs of clothes.

'Am I shameless?'

It was a question he had to ask himself. Besides him, who on Afia would do what he just did?

"My lady, if you were ever to encounter something dangerous... you would tell me, right?"(M)

'What spurred on such a question?' 

Marie liked to accompany him whenever he went to bed, it was not because he still kept getting lost around the palace.

"Ahhh... no, not really. I would just take care of it. I'm going to be a great hero. I can't have you solving my problems"(I)

A worried look appeared on Marie's face. She didn't seem to like that response much.

"You know you can always ask for my help when it gets too tough. Even heroes sometimes need help"(M)

A hero should always be able to stand by themselves. That was a sentiment Ignavus believed wholeheartedly. It was one every decent hero knew... but one look at Marie made him change his answer. She was worrying over him.

"Yeah, I know. I'll ask for help if it gets too tough"(I)

The worry on Marie's face didn't seem to lessen despite Ignavus tailoring his response.

Marie opened the door to Ignavus' room and let him inside.

"Goodnight my lady"(M)

"Goodnight Marie"(I)

Ignavus crawled onto the bed as he watched Marie close the door.

He only had a couple of seconds before Vultur showed up. He had to make the check quick.

Flipping his pillow over, Ignavus searched for its hidden zipper. Finding it, he pulled it all the way down and stuck his fingers into the pillow. 

'Where is it?!'

What was Ignavus searching for? Perhaps the only real personal item he had.

The black card that the boy had given him.

"Ahem!"(M)

It was at that moment Ignavus realised he hadn't heard the door click shut. Turning around, he saw Marie holding up a small black object. It was the card.

"Looking for this?"(M)

In an instant Ignavus pieced it together.

It looked like Marie was really cleaning something.

 

28