Chapter 58 ‘Callings of the… past?’
1.1k 5 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Ignavus>

There were too many people.

'Why is she doing this!?' 

Ignavus had buried himself into his queen mother's midsection. He really, REALLY didn't want to let go.

'Why must these stupid surprises always be bad!' 

Ignavus was yet to recover or even fully understand what happened to him last night. He was not ready to face more problems. The image of Vultur being dragged into his body was still fresh in his mind. 

'What did she do to me this time...'

It had been a long while since his queen mother had seriously punished him. This was partly due to him behaving more and her increasingly caring attitude. The punishments he received right now felt more like attempts by the queen to make them closer. A prime example of this was the creation of cuddle time. Whenever Ignavus was deemed as too fussy during eating, one minute would be added to the cuddle time, which as the name implies, was a time set where his queen mother would cuddle him. From playing with his hair to massaging his tail, his queen mother took that time to inspect him like a work of art. It was a humiliating experience... but it did feel a little good. The main problem came because Marie would stay and watch. He couldn't bring himself to enjoy it without feeling ashamed.

"Care to introduce yourself to our guests? It would be rather unbecoming not to"(G.Q)

Ignavus lifted his gaze from the midsection of his queen mother. Eyes pleading something fierce.

"N-No thank you, please"(I)

He knew what she asked was not really a question. It was another one of those disguised orders, but he had to plead. He was not ready to meet people looking like this. Ever since somewhat acknowledging his presence as Navy, he had become more acutely aware just how his body looked. A tiny, cute Yalery girl. This simple realisation made him ultra self-conscious and maybe... a little afraid.

He was not the hero Ignavus. If someone was to really try something against him... he was not confident he would be able to protect himself. It also didn't help that he kept hearing stories and rumours about young Yalery. Ignavus was not ready to be kidnapped... again.

"Oh, but you certainly must"(G.Q)

'You said they were dangerous, didn't you?! Why must I meet them!!'

Ignavus had only taken the briefest look at the crowd. They were a weird mixture. Nothing about them seemed similar to one another. Not race, not gender, or even age. Such a diverse crowd could only be mustered up by the likes of the United Forces of Afia. A half spanning continental power. One the was created with the sole goal of resisting the demon rising. A power Ignavus was currently the heir to.

'Now that I think about it, why are they here?!'

Ignavus was beyond sure the gathered crowd was from U.F.A. If the diverseness of the crowd was not a dead giveaway, then the dark red and light grey uniforms confirmed his suspicions.

These people shouldn't be here.

There was supposed to be a war going on.

'Prisoners? No... she called them guests. What could have possibly happened to-'

"Marie"(G.Q)

"Yes, my mistress. Let me be of service"(M)

'Noooo!!'

Ignavus didn't hear Marie travel to them, but he just knew she was standing by them. Her voice carried a familiar soft and gentle tone. One only used when she was going to make him do something he didn't want to.

"Come on, my lady. I know you can do it. Remember, just believe in yourself!"(M)

Ignavus sometimes truly hated how much faith Marie had in him.

Instead of letting Marie carry him, he just spread his arms further apart in order to better wrap around his queen mother.

He wouldn't be swayed so easily. 

"Navy... now is not the time to start misbehaving..."(G.Q)

Ah, the usual threats. Ignavus was starting to get tired of them. Why was it so wrong for a kid to misbehave every once in a while?

"Don't worry, my mistress. I got just the thing!"(M)

'Oh no'

Ignavus was still yet to see a single good idea come out of Marie that didn't hurt him in some way. Tightening his hold, he prepared for the worst.

"Don't- hehe! No! hehe- W-wait-hehehe!!"(I)

Ignavus had left himself completely wide open. With his arms wrapped around his queen mother, his armpits were easy pickings.

Marie grabbed him off his queen mother the moment his grip loosened.

 'Was that my voice!?'

The sound that had left Ignavus was... something else. He rushed to cover his mouth as Marie held him. In a tone lower than a whisper, Marie muttered into his ear,

"You have such a lovely laugh, my lady"(M)

After being set down on the ground in front of the throne, Ignavus was left standing alone. Gazing at the ground.

'I just got to get it over and done with!'

Raising his head, Ignavus prepared to introduce himself. What he was not prepared for was the faces of the crowd.

They were all staring at him, and they were doing it rather intensely. Some even wore smiles.

'They're really going to kidnap me...'

"G-greetings, I am the daughter of the m-most esteemed Golden Queen. N-Navy..."(I)

Ignavus could physically feel the annoyance emanate from behind him. He had stammered on almost every word. He wouldn't be hearing the end of this soon.

After Ignavus finished, he just awkwardly stood under the intense looks not really sure what to do.

'Come on, what am I doing!? Marie is watching! She can't have her hero cowering under such pressure!!'

Summoning his remaining guts, Ignavus started returning the intense stares. Scanning the crowd slowly... until he noticed something. Or, more accurately someone.

At the front of the crowd stood a warrior. They were dressed in a stunning black suit of armour that seemed to reflect a deep hatred. Behind them, a small, slick naked tail could be seen held in the proper 'S' shape.

'How did they allow an actual warrior here?!'

The warrior present was the only person cladded in a suit of armour. 

'A mousekin? As a warrior? How, how odd'

If the tail wasn't a dead giveaway, then the protruding nose was. Mousekin were not known as a warrior race. Their small stature combined with their general timid nature, made them an oddity on the battlefield.

'In fact' 

Throughout hero Ignavus' career, he had only ever encountered one. One that had pestered him endlessly.

'Ah, what was her name again?'

Ignavus continued to stare at the mystery warrior. A couple seconds passed; those seconds turned into a minute and that minute turned into two. Everyone in the room had their eyes bouncing back and forth from Ignavus and the warrior.

'White?!'

Ignavus tried to control and reign in his excitement, but it was fruitless. He felt his tail start to commence its happy dance. How did he not recognize his greatest and worst student.

"Oh, I take it you must be the hero?"(G.Q)

'What have I done?'

Ignavus struggled to keep his composure as he heard his queen mother speak. Showing interest in anything often led to it being held over his head. He might have just doomed White. 

"Yes, I am. Golden Queen"(W)

Ignavus turned around and gazed at his queen mother. He had a lot of stuff to do. He couldn't allow her to win this one.

There was also another concerning issue raised.

'Wait... did she just say hero?'

26