Chapter 118
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two days had passed since Yuichi's conversation with Mei about Kaidō and training. As he stood in front of the locked gates of the Academy, the midday sunlight cast a warm glow. The urgency to grow stronger fueled him, and Mei's promise to up the intensity of their training hung in the air.

 

As he was contemplating many things and was lost in thought, Mei arrived at the scene. Her white hair with lilac tips flowed gracefully as she approached. "Yuichi, why are we meeting here? The academy is locked."

 

Yuichi was pulled back to reality and smiled. "Well, Mei, I thought it’d be easier to meet here and I have a better place in mind for our training session. Follow me."

 

Leading Mei through the hidden paths of the Seireitei, Yuichi guided her toward the Sōkyoku Hill. The atmosphere around the hill was serene, with an eerie silence encompassing the area. Mei cast an inquisitive glance at Yuichi, questioning the choice of location. Regular Soul Reapers weren’t allowed here let alone students.

 

However, instead of heading straight for the hill, Yuichi veered toward the cliffside to where the concealed entrance was located. As he approached, he extended his hand, a silent invitation. Mei, perplexed but intrigued, grasped his hand. The moment their hands connected, Yuichi pulled out the token given to him by Yoruichi. With the token in hand,  they both passed through the barrier concealing the entrance.

 

Entering the area, there was a dimly lit corridor which they both walk down until reaching the stairs. Once down the stairs, Mei found herself surrounded by a landscape that seemed similar to that of a desert.

 

Wide-eyed, Mei turned to Yuichi. "What is this place? How did you know about it?"

 

Yuichi grinned, a mix of pride and excitement on his face. "This is a special training ground that Lady Yoruichi allowed me to use. It's a special place she had Urahara build, it’s designed for intense and focused training. I thought it would be the perfect place for our session."

 

Mei marveled at the revelation, her curiosity piqued. "A special hidden training ground? That's impressive, Yuichi. Lady Yoruichi must see potential in you to grant you access to such a place. But why did she keep it a secret? I don’t think any member knows of such a place. Better yet why did she reveal its location to you."

 

Yuichi shrugged, a slight smile on his face. "No idea, I guess Lady Yoruichi likes to keep things mysterious. But enough about that. We're here to train, right? I know you have a lot of questions but we can talk afterwards."

 

Mei nodded, her competitive spirit shining through. "No need. If Lady Yoruichi sees potential in you, then I'll make sure you live up to those expectations. Now, let's get started. What kind of training do you have in mind?"

 

“I need battle experience, and I’ve recently awakened my zanpakuto. I need to get a sense of how and when I can use its power. So for now, let’s focus on that,” Yuichi answered.

 

Mei's eyes widened in surprise. "Awakened your zanpakuto? When did you manage to do that? It hasn't even been a year since you started your training."

 

Yuichi scratched his head, a sheepish grin on his face. "Honestly, one day, I just heard its voice. It hasn't been that long, so I'm still figuring things out."

 

“Well then come at me. Don’t hold back.” said Mei

 

Eager to see the progress, Mei and Yuichi both unsheathed their zanpakuto, ready to engage in a training session that would push their limits. Mei tossed her blade upward, declaring, "Freeze, Shiro no Shikaku!"

 

Shiro no Shikaku transformed into its Shikai state – the sword became slightly shorter, gaining a dagger-like appearance, and the blade edge turned blue. Mei deftly caught Shiro no Shikaku in a reverse grip, assuming a stance that Yuichi hadn't seen before.

 

Yuichi held his blade point upward and ran his palm along the blade, proclaiming, "Reflect, Kagami no Jotei!"

 

Kagami no Jotei shifted into its Shikai state – the sword became slightly longer, gaining a thicker blade, and the blade's color inverted, with the body turning white and the blade edge becoming black.

 

As the training began, Yuichi assumed a kendo-inspired stance, drawing from the Zanjutsu techniques taught to him at the academy. He held his zanpakuto with both hands, the blade pointing toward Mei, and moved with deliberate strikes.

 

Mei, on the other hand, displayed a more fluid and versatile stance, a manifestation of her honed martial arts skills. With her body low and Shiro no Shikak in a reverse-grip she was ready. The aqua-blue blade of Shiro no Shikaku glittered under the ambient light as she maintained a poised yet adaptable position.

 

Their first exchange was swift, with Yuichi launching a series of strikes with precise and measured movements. However, Mei effortlessly blocked each attack with calculated ease, her movements precise and efficient.

 

After a brief pause, Mei spoke, her voice carrying a teacher's tone. "Yuichi, your strikes lack conviction. You're thinking too much and not letting your body move freely. Your movements are restrained, and it's telegraphing your attacks."

 

Yuichi, taking Mei's advice to heart, adjusted his stance and tried to let go of conscious thought. He took a deep breath, clearing his mind, and launched into a renewed assault. This time, his strikes were more fluid, and less predictable.

 

Mei continued to deflect his attacks effortlessly but noticed a change in his approach. "Better, but you're still holding back. The key to effective Zanjutsu is to strike with the intent to kill, not hesitation. Come at me as if you want to kill me. Remember the desperation you felt in that last fight and come at me."

 

In response, Yuichi intensified his attacks, channeling his spiritual energy with each swing. The atmosphere around him became sharper as he sought to embody Mei's guidance. His strikes grew heavier and began to aim at the spot that could severely injure Mei should he land a hit.

 

Mei, however, maintained her composed defense, calmly analyzing Yuichi's improvements. "Good, but don't lose control. Fighting is about balance, both in offense and defense. Don’t just always hit an opponent with such a straightforward attack. You should mix in feints and light attacks while fighting to confuse and get your opponent to lower their guard or think you’re weaker than you really are. Once their guard has been lowered a well-timed strong attack can finish them off. It’s not always the strongest opponent who wins in the end."

2