Chapter 30
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the 11th of July, a full week after the attack on the Nexus Games, two important plane flights land, virtually at the same time. Far to the north, in the tundra of Fairbanks, Nicholas King’s plane comes to a slow stop on the edge of the airport grounds. It was a private flight for him alone, paid for by the Alpha of the Fire Nexus. There is a solitary figure waiting for him beside the runway, his short brown hair whipping wildly in all directions with the winds and the passage of the plane. He wears no grin but seems pleased to see the plane land safely.

“General,” Nick says, stepping lightly from the plane’s entrance, even before the stairs can be lowered. He glides softly down to the ground. He also keeps his face level, but he feels a mounting sense of tension and excitement at the approaching conflicts.

“I’m not your leader this time, Nick,” Jerik said solemnly. “We’re equals in this.”

Nick accepted the correction at once. “Alright then. What’s the plan?”

He assumed his friend had one, and he wasn’t disappointed. “I have a feeling I know which Nexus he’ll target first.”

“Fire,” Nick guessed. It was a logical assumption, as they’d suffered the heaviest losses apart from the Water Nexus. And, their weakness was the easiest one to exploit. Jerik nodded confirmation. “Even Michael agrees. So you and I are going to the tundra.”

“The Fire Nexus hasn’t moved?” Nick asked, surprised. “Grimr knows exactly where they are. Why aren’t they at least going into hiding?”

Jerik turned and led the way back to the airport as he replied, his voice barely audible over the sound of the plane that had carried Nick here taxing away to refuel. “There’s a few reasons. One, the people who were badly hurt still need medical attention. They could get that in town, of course, but Michael doesn’t want to draw Grimr or Libera Terra to the city. He feels he should make every attempt to keep the humans out of the fighting.”

Nick nodded slowly. “He’s got a good instinct as an Alpha. That’s what I’d do in his place.”

“Well, fortunately, we won’t be slowed down by any of that,” Jerik said. He didn’t appear to have heard what his friend said. Nick shook his head, grinning. As a sociopath, Jerik was often prone to skip over the emotions of others. He understood the principle that humans should be protected. But, knowing that they were safe under Michael and Will’s care, he wasted no time worrying about their fates.

“Are we going to help them hunt down Libera Terra?” Nick asked, sure he already knew the answer.

“We don’t have the time. Grimr and Eric might head for the Fire Nexus straight away, to strike before they can fully recover. Which means you and I have to get back to training.”

“You think we need more practice? I’m already a Captain, and you’re more than capable of fighting against Eric.”

Jerik paused in his long stride and glanced back. Something about Nick’s reply didn’t quite sit right with him. “You probably think you’re going to take on Grimr while I deal with Eric, don’t you?”

“Yes. It makes the most sense. I’m the strongest of us two, so I should fight Grimr. He’s stronger than Eric, right?”

“I’m sure Eric thinks so. But I disagree. I saw Eric when he fought you in the Nexus Games. You’re the only one that can keep up with his speed. And if you fought seriously, I’m sure you could take him.”

“And we’re sure that Megan won’t come to help us?”

The corner of Jerik’s mouth turned down in an expression of distaste. “No. She doesn’t want to fight anymore. I’d wager she’ll stay with the Water Nexus and help fight Libera Terra. She’s out of this fight now.”

“So, then, it’s just us two that can stop them. Alright, I’ll fight Eric. But do you still think we need more practice?”

Jerik lowered his voice as they entered the small airport building, seemingly unaware of the civilians around them who turned as they felt his heat aura and looked a little nervous. “It never hurts to be prepared. The stronger we are, the better. And even if we only have a few more days until they attack, we can still grow a little stronger.”

In the city of St. Paul, Will disembarked from his plane, quickly followed by Kenta and James. His friends weren’t able to hide their tension and apprehension as well as he could. They kept looking left and right as they walked through the crowd of people that streamed on either side. Unlike the people of Fairbanks, these Minnesotans weren’t used to the frequent presence of Nexians in their midst, and so weren’t able to recognize the faint tingling on their skins and the smell of burnt ozone in the air for what it was.

Still, there were a handful of people who recognized Will, at least. His appearance was known worldwide, thanks to his efforts with the Thunder Nexus and his time spent on the Council, making sure the world knew that they shouldn’t have to fear the Nexuses. He was even more distinguishable in his blue-grey jacket, the official uniform of the Thunder Nexus. As soon as they left the gate and entered the airport proper, the overall volume of the area dipped significantly.

“Damn,” James said quietly, looking around. “There are so many people here. How many humans live in this city?”

“About three and a half million people,” Will replied smoothly, his eyes also flicking from side to side, taking in the appearances of the humans that had obviously recognized them. “That is if you include the populations of Minneapolis and Bloomington.”

James and Kenta had never heard of the other two city names, never having traveled much. Not counting their times in New Toledo, they generally kept to the area that the Thunder Nexus territory covered, occasionally visiting the small village that the Fire Nexus had created between Fairbanks and North Pole, the Christmas-themed town that was an hour away from where Will had grown up. Will had never been to Minnesota either but had read up on the city to pass the time during their long flight here.

“How are we going to find these Soul Nexus members?” Kenta asked, driving their thoughts back to the reason for their visit. “If they find out that we’re here, they might go into hiding. That will only make it more difficult to find them.”

“I don’t think we have to worry about that,” Will replied. “Them finding out that we’re here, I mean. I’m sure one of these people have already posted something on social media about seeing us at the airport.”

“Great,” James sighed. “There goes the element of surprise.”

“I don’t think we ever had that,” Kenta admitted. He repeated his question to his Alpha. “How are we going to find them?”

“I’m not sure yet. If they’re the same Soul Nexus that we had to fight six years ago, something tells me that they won’t hide. If that’s the case, we should get out of this airport and into a big open space as quickly as possible. I don’t want to risk these people getting hurt in a fight.”

They knew that Will had already sent a forewarning to the Mayor of St. Paul, letting him know that they were on their way via plane. That was a courtesy Will offered to the leader of every city he visited. They had the right to refuse him entry if they chose. Nobody had yet to do so, of course, either because they trusted in his honest reputation or they were too nervous to dare say he couldn’t come. Either way, Will was prepared to meet a representative from the city as they approached the exit of the airport. If they told him he was not welcome in St. Paul, he would take James and Kenta to New Toledo, where they would figure out the next option.

There was a tall man in a suit when the entrance first came into view. He was flanked on either side by more than a dozen other people, all also wearing official clothing and looking directly at the approaching Nexians. All but the man in the front looked exceptionally nervous at this meeting but held their ground resolutely.

“Here we go,” James said. “Any of them Nexians?”

Will thought back over the years to the last memory of a Soul Nexian’s aura. Togai had held a particularly strong one. When you were next to a Soul Nexian, you felt a little more invigorated, as if their mere presence was enough to prevent you from ever tiring. It was an illusion, of course, and what you were really feeling was pure power, so dense that it radiated outward like a physical presence.

“I don’t think so,” he said quietly, stepping onto the last escalator that carried them down to the waiting humans. “But stay alert. If any of them attack, disable them without causing serious damage.”

He could sense, rather than see, the two nodding behind him. They quickly took a step back on the moving escalator, ensuring that he was in the front and that they could see over his head, to spot any threat to his safety before it got too far. The humans in front and behind all gave small flinches at the movement and looked ready to sprint away. One even clambered over the divine between the two moving staircases, now going up instead of down, and let out a sigh of relief as he was carried away from the dangerous strangers.

“William Andrews,” the man in the front of the group said clearly, taking half a step forward. “Alpha of the Thunder Nexus, and member of the Nexus Council. We hope your journey has been easy. Welcome to St. Paul.”

It was only when the escalator deposited the three of them at the bottom that Will recognized the leader. It was none other than Melvin Carter, the mayor of the city. Will knew a little of him from his time reading on the plane. The first African American mayor elected to the position of Mayor, he had successfully been re-elected every four years since his first term in 2017. He seemed to be a popular choice in the city, leading with his unapologetic equity agenda.

“Mayor Carter,” Will said, extending a hand in greeting. That small, insignificant movement caused all of the mayor’s staff to lean back slightly as if they feared it to be the beginning of an attack. “Please, call me Will.”

Unlike his companions, Mayor Carter showed no sign of fear. He shook the Alpha’s hand enthusiastically, pumping it up and down with a wide and welcoming smile. “Will it is. And I assume these fine gentlemen are James Fenn and Kenta Takamaru!”

He leaned around Will without a sign of discomfort, shaking their hands as well. “I must say, I am honored that you have come to visit our city, Will. You and your friends are more than welcome! My staff has set aside excellent suites for you at the finest hotel in our city, and you’re welcome to stay as long as you like.”

His smile widened to show plenty of his teeth, and he added, “Though I suspect your stay within our city will not be long.”

At that, Will frowned slightly. “You know why we’re here?”

“Of course, of course!” The Mayor exclaimed. “Everyone has been expecting a representative from the Nexus Council ever since the terrorists were expelled from their base of operations! We haven’t had such exciting events here in quite a while!”

If he truly knew why Will had come, then why was he so happy? Surely if he knew this much, then he would remember what the Soul Nexus had done in the past. But the wide, honest smile and the twinkle in his eye indicated that he didn’t believe there to be any danger.

“In truth,” Carter said, “I’m here to welcome you personally, and to pass on a message. You see, ever since those three popped up, we’ve become good acquaintances. They are excellent people, and I think you’ll really come to like them too.”

“What is the message?” Will asked abruptly. He found the mayor to be an engaging and likable figure, but he didn’t want to be distracted or re-directed from his goal. The longer he stood here talking to this politician, the greater the chance that the Soul Nexus might slip away. And, if they were the same sort as the Soul Nexus of old, Will would rather be able to keep a close eye on them.

“Ah, straight to business,” Carter said, actually rocking back and forth on his feet. “Alpha Silas Redman has personally invited you to speak with them. He knows the history of the Soul Nexus, and he wishes to assure you that he poses no great threat to the peace you have created.”

“That’s… very direct,” Kenta said slowly. Will could read the skepticism in his voice and shared his concern. But he also knew that they couldn’t dawdle in this airport for much longer.

“Will you take us to them?” He asked the mayor. “If we have been invited, I’d like to meet this new Alpha as soon as I can.”

Mayor Carter nodded vigorously. “Of course! I’m not just here to serve as your welcoming party. My driver Beckham will drive you over there straight away.”

0