Chapter 41 (Final Chapter)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grimr drew a long bone knife, his quintessential weapon, and lunged at Naturas. The man kicked the Ancient aside, but Grimr managed to score a long cut on his leg. It healed in an instant, and he let out a snort. “I told you, you cannot kill me.”

Grimr did not appear to be listening. Instead of attacking Naturas again, he lunged at Rachel Smith, who seemed stunned by this strange turn of events. He was inches away from sinking his knife into her neck before a powerful gust of wind yanked him back, right into Naturas’ grip. Then his body caught aflame, and Naturas threw him aside. After a few rolls, the flames were out, but he sported a slight burn on one arm.

“You cannot defend them all, Naturas,” he growled, lifting the knife again. “There are too many of us. We don’t need to kill you to remove your power from this world. We need only kill them. One is down already. How can you hope to protect the rest?”

“And what will you do when their essence finds another host?” Naturas asked, his voice full of scorn. “Will you kill every being on this planet to vanquish the power?”

“There will be no more hosts.” Grimr pulled a new object out of his pocket. It looked like a flat stone disk with eight bright gems on its surface. One of the gems, a bright ruby, was glowing gently.  “This relic is imbued with the Mother’s power.”

Eric didn’t know what that relic was, but he had a faint idea what the red gem was holding. He could see, in the near distance where the fighting had not yet paused, a Fire Nexian make a striking motion, then look down at his hand in terror. He was felled by a member of Libera Terra a moment later.

“You took it from him?” Naturas asked his voice equal parts rage and disbelief. He lifted one hand, conjuring a towering pillar of flame on Grimr’s location, but the Ancient had already jumped to the side, a taunting smirk on his face. “Return my power!”

“I will,” Grimr promised. “But only if you take the power from the others and go back home. Now.”

A struggle played out on Naturas’ face, a struggle that seemed to indicate he was holding something back. But it was a futile attempt. His voice was low and bitter when he replied, “I can’t. I will be destroyed.”

Whatever Grimr had expected him to say, it wasn’t that. He rose from his slight crouch, the confusion evident on his face. “What are you talking about? It’s your world, Primordial. There is none more powerful than you.”

“That is no longer true. The Paragon stole the Primal essences from me, and they command them now. They are stronger than I am.”

“You do not command your Primals?” This voice was Samuel’s, and he landed beside Grimr with a pale expression. “How?”

“I still do not know,” Naturas said bitterly. “But the fact remains that I cannot return home. They would sense my arrival and hunt me down. I can only live here. They do not possess the methods to cross Oblivion or pass Oras.”

The distant sound of thunder rumbled in the sky, and above, lightning crackled. Naturas gave a casual wave of his hand, and the sound dissipated. “So you see, I cannot leave. Nor will I allow you to kill these people. They are of me now, and I will protect them, even if it means killing Ahya’s greatest servant.”

Eric could see Grimr’s hand tightening on his knife. This news hit him hard, but it was also clear that it changed nothing. His mission was still of the highest priority. Naturas seemed to sense this as well because he held up a cautionary hand. “I understand your concerns, Warden. You do not want this power crossing over into the Mother’s domain.”

“I do not.”

“As I expected. That would be a threat to the balance, which you cannot tolerate. So I offer you an alternative.”

Before Grimr could ask what this alternative was, Naturas lifted one hand into the air. Everyone nearby braced for another attack, but he merely moved the hand in a circular motion. There was no visible effect, but they could all feel something… insubstantial moving through the air. It wasn’t strong enough to be called a breeze, but all the Nexians felt it in their core. Something had been taken away, and in its place, there was an empty, incomplete feeling.

“I have removed their ability to pass the power on at will,” Naturas explained. “Those that have it will not lose it, and more will gain it, but it will be a natural force, as it once was.”

A few meters away, Rachel appeared to be standing on shaky legs. She was looking down at her hands in mild concern, and the cooling aura she normally released felt less dense. There was also something missing, Eric thought, from the way her fellow Water Nexians looked at each other. There was still the bond of family and love, yes, but it was somehow tempered now, missing that note of devotion that had been present before.

“The magic of this world is long gone,” the Primordial continued. “It was long ago reclaimed by their Primordial, and they have lived without it for many centuries now. Surely letting them have this power would not be a threat to your balance.”

Grimr appeared to consider that for a few seconds, his violet eyes narrowed in slight suspicion. “How do I know you won’t return it the moment I return home?”

“I also promise, on the strength of my existence, that I will never allow one who carries my power to cross Oblivion and set foot in Ahya.”

He made another quick gesture with his hand and produced a shining silver coin out of thin air. It bore a strange symbol Eric did not recognize on its face. He held it out to Grimr, who accepted it with a tentative hand. Then, to Eric’s surprise, the Ancient looked in his direction, as if asking for his opinion. He was still too far behind on the relevant information to offer more than a shrug. With a flourish, Grimr stowed the coin away inside a pocket and sheathed his dagger.

“Very well. That will satisfy my terms.” He turned on the spot to survey the others. In other areas, the last of Libera Terra was being extinguished as the Nexuses rallied. Even without the aid of Fire Nexus, they swarmed forward with their human allies, taking out the last of the terrorists. “Megan, Eric, come. It is time we were leaving.”

“So soon?” Eric blurted out. He was taken aback by the suddenness of it all.

“We shouldn’t linger,” The Ancient said. He shared a glance with Samuel, who nodded in agreement. “Surely you want to return to your family. Staying will only extend the fighting.”

It was a valid argument, save for one thing. Eric turned, searching out the man who had originally given him these powers and taught him how to use them. He found Will kneeling beside the prone body of his son. Charlisa was with him, and the two seemed oblivious to the passing conversation. “Will he survive?”

Will looked up slowly, meeting his eyes. There was still anger there, no doubt about it. But there was also something deeper. Not quite forgiveness, but close. He gave a short nod. Relief washed over Eric, so powerful that he almost stumbled back. Good. He couldn’t stand the thought that he might have destroyed the ones that accepted him as family, even if only for a few months.

Grimr held out the stone disk for Naturas. “Take the fire back, then. I have no need for it.”

Samuel had begun chanting and crouched low on the ground, drawing arcane symbols in a circle on the ground. Eric recognized it as the Ancient spell World Shift. He moved closer so that he was in the circle, as did Megan. Grimr turned to address Naturas one last time. “If I can, I will find a way to assist you with your problem. I care about balance outside of the Mother as well, but I have responsibilities I cannot avoid.”

Naturas nodded his acceptance of the statement. “I will be honored. Return home, Warden. I will look after the people here.”

Just before Samuel could finish inscribing the runes, Rachel Smith suddenly stumbled forward. So, a few yards away, did Felix. They both shouted out at once. “Megan!”

Megan whirled around quickly. Samuel paused in his inscription and stood, looking curious and amused. “What?”

“Don’t go,” Rachel said, tears streaming down her face. “I’m sorry that I banished you, dear. You don’t have to go back if you don’t want to.”

“You want me to stay with you?” Megan asked, her voice thick and slow, but also disbelieving. “Why? I betrayed you before we met. How can you want me to stay?”

“You’re our family,” Rachel said firmly. “I know you made a home here. I’m sure you have one in that other world too, but we want you with us.”

Felix nodded his agreement. He wasn’t crying as his mother was, but his eyes were glistening, and he seemed to be breathing heavier than normal. Silently, he lifted one hand as if in invitation. Behind him, Eric heard Samuel let out a tiny, quickly stifled chuckle. Then the Archmage gave Megan a firm but gentle nudge between the shoulders. She stumbled forward a step, then turned to face him.

“What are you doing?” She asked, as if the nudge had been a brutal shove. “I don’t want-”

“Of course you do,” Samuel said, his voice calm. He still looked amused. “You’ve wanted to ever since Grimr told you about this mission. You feel more at home here than you ever did in Ahya. Now you have your chance.”

Megan didn’t try to argue that point, because she really didn’t think she could. “But… Michael and Alice.”

“I’m sure they’ll understand,” Eric said, smiling. “I’ll tell them myself, don’t worry.”

He wasn’t entirely pleased at the idea of separating from Megan. They’d known each other well in the past six years, and they’d spared this special experience that nobody else could understand. The tears falling from Megan’s eyes mirrored the feelings he was keeping locked down in his chest. But finally, she nodded her acceptance.

“Alright,” she said, the words barely distinguishable through her sobbing. Then, without warning, she threw herself at Samuel and hugged him fiercely. “Thank you for the most incredible adventure of my life, Samuel. You taught me so much. I’ll never forget you.”

“Nor I you,” Samuel said, ruffling her hair. “You were my favorite student of all time. I’ll never find a mind as bright or keen as yours.”

She let out a weak, shaky laugh, then pulled away. Finally, she turned to Eric. She didn’t throw herself into a hug like with Samuel. “Tell Emily I love her. Tell her that I’ll miss seeing her grow up.”

Eric nodded, his voice too tight to form words. Finally, he managed a simple reply. “She’ll miss her Aunt, but I’ll make sure she understands.”

She smiled at him, and they both sensed that they didn’t have to say anymore. Rachel and Felix both approached, putting their arms around her and hugging her tightly. She finally lost the little bit of control she’d possessed and broke down completely in their embrace.

“I’m so sorry,” she said. “I promise I’ll never betray you again.”

“We know, dear,” Rachel said, also sobbing uncontrollably. The two women hugged more tightly, oblivious to the stares of those around them. After a few minutes, Megan pulled away to wish her greatest friends farewell. She didn’t know if she’d ever see them again, but she knew she’d cherish their memories. Even Grimr, the strict, forlorn Ancient.

But when she turned, they were no longer there. They were gone from this world, back to where they truly belonged. Gone from her life. She closed her eyes, giving the farewell in her mind and soul. She knew Eric would take to life as an Ancient well. Long after she’d grown old and frail, he would continue to make that world a better place. She could only do her best to do the same in this old familiar, strange, new world.

 

This story draws to a close, but the tale of Eric, Jerik, Nick, and the Nexuses will continue.

 

THE END

 

Special shoutout and thanks to my Patrons for this novel, not to mention their endless support throughout my career. 

 

Carmine.EXE/Laughing Lich

Melkor

Reuben the Speed Demon

Olli Erinko

Adam Daw

 

This novel is dedicated specifically to all the writers, authors, and film producers, who all inspired me to try my hand at worldbuilding. No names in particular, I just know I couldn’t have made it this far if I hadn’t studied the works of the greats.

 

Special shoutout to E-Dubble in the beyond. You were taken from us too young, and your music was the soundtrack to most of my writing. If it weren’t for your unique and motivating music, I probably wouldn’t be able to type as much as I do.

Well, here we are, the end of another novel! This one was a hoot and a half to write, and I enjoyed giving y'all another installment in the Nexus storyline. With the completion of this book, it's all but guaranteed that Nexus will be my second trilogy. Super looking forward to that.

In case you haven't heard, my next project is going to be a total rewrite of Tome of the Body, my first full novel, as well as the trilogy that follows it. Soon here I'll be taking down what I've written on SH so far, so don't worry about reading it. You don't have to. For those who have already read it, you'll be getting a new story. The same characters, and the same grand quest, just written MUCH better. Also, I'm filling in holes that existed in the first novel.

Join my Patreon to start reading the Tome of the Body remake now!

0