Chapter 8 – Shopping
82 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yuki and Sujin hop on a short train ride from their apartment to the shopping area. Yuki is dressed in black shorts, a white shirt, and a black and blue checkered jacket. All of which, look too baggy for her. As they leave the station, they're greeted by numerous small shops and food stalls, creating a lively atmosphere like an ongoing festival with crowds of people and vendors calling out to passersby.

They eventually reach the plaza, the heart of the shopping district, bustling with a diverse mix of people. There are couples on dates, some tough-looking folks hanging out in the alleys, and regular office workers taking lunch breaks.

Consulting a map conveniently displayed in the plaza, they navigate their way to the clothing section of the shopping area.

This was meant to be a short trip to get some simple loungewear for Yuki, at least that's what Sujin thought until Yuki spots and smells something—a popcorn chicken stand.

"What a devilishly well-placed stand!" Sujin thought. His second thought was, "It looks like we're not just buying clothes today…"

"Ooo~ let's get some popcorn chicken while we're here!"

"Eh?~"

Sujin wanted to scream, "I knew it!"

"Please, I beg of thee, o wise one Sujin! If you do, I may, just may, buy you lunch~"

"You know our money is being pooled right now… Haaaa~ Fine… Just don't get too much; you'll spoil lunch."

However, Sujin was no match for Yuki's persistence. 

"Yay!"

Yuki pumped her fist.

The two approach the popcorn chicken stand—though it is more like Yuki is dragging Sujin along with her as if the chicken stand is the last one on Earth.

"Haaa... And there goes 900 yen," Sujin says despondently to Yuki.

Sujin asks, "Is it worth the money, though?"

"What is?"

"The chicken Yuki!"

Yuki takes a bite and shrugs.

"It's so-so."

"Yikes..."

"Just consider it an investment for our future! And it's not like we're broke or anything!—wait, are we?"

"Investment?! Future?!" Sujin blurts out, surprised by the sudden shift in perspective.

"Yeah, we're investing in our future cravings! Now we won't waste 900 yen on average chicken again! That's a win in my book!—hold up! Tell me we're not overspending!"

"You have a remarkable talent for seeing the bright side...in everything," Sujin replies, exasperated, avoiding the question.

Sujin sighed and rolled his eyes, trying hard not to facepalm and collapse while Yuki continued munching on the chicken. The chicken is gone in no time, and Yuki looks up at Sujin with a satisfied grin.

"I think I feel my arteries clogging already," Yuki jokes.

"Haha!" Sujin gives a genuine but tired chuckle.

"We might be spending too much after this shopping trip..." Sujin mumbles quietly.

"Huh? What was that?" asks Yuki.

"Oh—nothing."

"It's scary how sharp Yuki's hearing is..." Sujin thinks to himself.

***

After a few minutes of strolling around, we stumbled upon a nice clothing store for women. The prices seemed reasonable, and the clothes looked pretty good quality.

"Wow! Check this one out! It's awesome!" Yuki exclaimed excitedly, trying on different outfits in front of the mirror. It was like she was playing dress-up with a doll.

"Well, at least he—she is enjoying herself..."

*step* *step*

"Oh, Mr. Boyfriend, you can sit right here," a young female clerk says, leading me to a nearby bench.

"Oh, no, no, we're not... you know..."

"Mhm... I see, you go get 'em!"

She gives me knowing look and a friendly pat on the shoulder before walking away.

***

After what felt like an eternity of waiting, Yuki finally showed up with a mountain of clothing in her arms.

*Plomf*

"Oops, one fell off. Hey Sujin, can you pick it up for me?"

"Oh, hell no! We are not buying all that!"

"Tsk, worth a shot..."

I slump in my seat, hands covering my face, and sigh.

"This is what I meant by 'We might be in the red after this shopping session...'"

"What?!"

"N-nothing! Continue!"

Yuki looks at me questioningly from the corner of her eye. But she acts as if she didn't hear anything and continues on her way.

***

Yuki finally picked out three outfits: linen shorts, a white T-shirt as loungewear, a graphic T-shirt that says "Rock!" with black denim shorts, And Baggy beige cargo pants with a tight-fitting black crew-neck T-shirt to top it all off.

At last, the moment we both dreaded had arrived... The lingerie store.

Yuki and I stood hesitantly before the entrance, peering through the windows at the array of women's underwear.

Yuki seemed just as uneasy as I felt. However, unlike me, Yuki was now a girl.

"I-I'll wait outside... Over there, on that bench..." I stammered, turning to leave, but Yuki grabbed my shirt like a little kid.

"Don't ditch me!" Yuki says accusingly.

"D-ditch?!"

"Yeah! You're bailing like a scaredy-cat! Coward!" she said, sticking out her tongue.

"I'm not scared! I just figured you'd be fine on your own! H-here, take my credit card!" I said, shoving the card in her hand.

"But I need you! You're... like my moral support!" Yuki said, pouting.

"Why on earth do you need moral support for buying underwear?!" I exclaimed, looking around to see if anyone was listening to our conversation.

Unbeknownst to us, we were causing quite a stir in front of the store. People were looking at us like we were crazy.

"U-um... Are you two planning to go in or not...? If not, please refrain from loitering in front of the store..." a concerned clerk interjected.

Surprised, Yuki and I blurt, "S-sorry!" and entered the shop. We felt like our mom had just scolded us.

***

Oh crap, oh crap, I came in on a whim.

Yuki and I found a spot as hidden as possible. We both kept our eyes fixed on the floor as if we didn't belong there, too scared to glance at the lingerie. It seems silly now.

Taking a deep breath, I try to calm my rattled nerves.

I grab a hanger with underwear in a rush, startling poor Yuki.

"Try this!" I blurt out, my eyes squeezed shut with nerves.

"Th-th..."

Yuki stutters, slowly raising her hand to point at the hanger.

"Y-you... Want me to put that on?!"

"Eh?"

I glance at the hanger I'm holding. The "underwear" barely passes as such. It's missing fabric in all the places crucial to underwear.

"T-there's a fucking hole in the crotch..." Yuki stammers.

"You're into... Some hardcore stuff, huh?" Yuki mocks, overcoming her initial surprise.

"Wh...!" I clamp my mouth shut to stop myself from yelling in shock, quickly putting the hanger back on the rack.

With my eyes, I signal, "That was a mistake!" I bet my eyes were bloodshot.

Okay, I'm less calm than I thought.

Anyways, Yuki picked up on my signal and nodded.

Suddenly, a "Pfft..." Escaped her lips.

Yuki fights back the urge to burst into laughter

"W-whats so funny?" I ask, peeved.

"I-Pft! Nothing... One sec..."

Yuki fights the urge to collapse on the floor in a fit of giggles and responds.

"I just don't usually see you, so freaked out, is all..." Yuki says, wiping a tear from her eye.

"Haaa~" Yuki takes a breath of relief like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Her nervousness faded away along with her breath.

Meanwhile, I could feel my face catch aflame with embarrassment.

Yuki grabs a set of basic underwear.

"I'll see if these fit in the changing room—urk!"

"What?"

Yuki gestured for me to come over, and I quickly complied.

"What?" I asked.

"Look at the price."

"Urk! That's a lot more expensive than I thought..."

"I know. Men's underwear is so much cheaper..."

"Maybe it's the included price of the bra?"

"Y-yeah... must be..." Yuki responded, unsure.

"Well, it's fine!"

"O-ok... I'll go try these on...

"'Kay."

***

I sat on a bench outside the changing room, trying to appear calm as I glanced at my phone. But the constant shaking of my leg betrayed my nerves.

I'm freaking the fuck out right now...!

Countless anxiety-fueled thoughts flooded my mind like a deluge.

'Those girls over there, are they staring at me?'

'Oh god, they are, aren't they?'

'I hear whispers! Are they about me?!'

No, no! Calm down! I'm allowed in here!

"Okay! How do I look?" I hear Yuki proudly announce as she opens the curtain.

I stare at her, dumbfounded. Her flawless skin is on display for everyone. Without thinking, I grab her shoulder and the curtain, pulling her back inside the changing booth and closing the curtain behind us.

"What are you doing?!" I scolded in a hushed voice.

I see her look up at me, confused and shocked.

"What?! Why are you angry!??"

"You don't show off your underwear, you dunce!"

My eyes accidentally wander to places they shouldn't. We're so close I can feel her breath.

"A-anyway!" I blurt while letting go of her shoulder.

Outside, I could hear laughter and whispers.

I realize Yuki isn't the least bit embarrassed.

Come on, Yuki! You aren't a guy anymore! Have some shame, damn it!

I peek through the curtain and catch a few customers giving me knowing looks. I quickly slide back onto the bench and pretend to browse my phone.

"Oh, 90% chance of rain tomorrow."

*Sliiddee*

Yuki slid the curtain open; this time, she was clothed.

I stand up, ready to pay, but she returns to the racks instead of heading to the cash register.

"Aren't you going to buy the underwear? I mean, this is our main mission here."

"...The bra is too small..."

"Ah..."

After trying on some new underwear, Yuki and I go to the cash register.

"That'll be $$$yen. Have a nice day."

Yuki and I quickly skedaddle after paying. Thus concludes our exasperating shopping trip.

For a few days after that ordeal, every time I looked at Yuki, I remembered her in her underwear.

By the way, I changed Yuki's last name from Takeshomaru to Hirohito. Also, to clear up confusion, Sujin's first name is Hak.

6