The Forest of Shadows – Arya
34 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"That's just downright creepy," I said.

 
"It's probably because of the Hollow Vessels," Leston said. "We are in their territory now. Weapons out."
 
We all drew our weapons. I pulled an arrow from my quiver and nocked it in my bow. Leston and Shun drew their swords. Fei readied her magic staff and Nexus pulled her strange combination weapon that looked like a cross between a halberd and a sword.
 
"How many Hollow Vessels are there and how powerful are they?" Nexus asked.
 
"No one knows how many there are," Leston said. "As for power, some of them literally can't hurt you at all, and some have reported as being able to take on a full-grown dragon solo."
 
"Wow," Shun said.
 
We advanced slowly through the dark forest, our eyes peeled for any possible threat.
 
"Watch out!" Kanata shouted suddenly. She grabbed onto Leston and Shun's arms and pulled them toward her, just as a massive black spike slammed down onto the ground where they were.
 
After a second, the spike lifted up into the air and moved on. Another one crashed down in its place. I gazed up in awe at the huge, four-legged creature as it continued walking above the trees.
 
[The Forest Treader]
[Level X] [Hollow Vessel] X
HP: X
MP: X
SP: X
 
"That's a Hollow Vessel," I said.
 
"Yep," Leston said. "One of the peaceful ones. But knowing that we've gone deep enough to reach the Forest Treader's path means we're getting close to the territory of the Troupe Master."
 
"I've heard of that one," Tiran said. "It attacks you with fire and music."
 
"Fire and music?" Ariel asked. "What's up with that combination?"
 
"Do you know about the Backtales that each Hollow Vessel has?"  Leston asked.
 
"Yeah," Ariel said.
 
"Well, apparently the one for the Troupe Master has something to do with an orchestra and a circus," Leston said. "In particular are an organ player and a fire walker."
 
"Knowing the Hollow Vessels' tendency to twist things, I do not like the sound of that," Tiran said.
 
"How so?" I asked.
 
"One of the Troupe Master's companion Vessels plays an organ," Leston said. "And it's made of actual organs."
 
"Ew!" Kanata said. Fei gagged.
 
"That does sound gross," Shun said.
 
"Hey, what's that?" Nexus asked. She pointed into the trees where a soft blue light was glowing.
 
"It looks like the glow from Lifeblood plants," Tiran said. "Let's go collect some."
 
"Should we?" I asked. "What if it's a trap?"
 
"I'll be careful," Tiran said. He walked up and plucked several of the blue fruit-like objects from their stems. Then a loud clattering sound echoed from around us, followed by what sounded like the laughing of children.
 
"What the fuck is that?" Nexus asked, glancing around us.
 
"Those are the Wheels," Leston said. "Tiran get back here and get your Hidden Skill going."
 
"Right," Tiran said. He brought his shield down on the ground and said, "[Silver Shield]." A silver glow flashed around all of us before disappearing.
 
"What does it do?" Shun asked.
 
"My Hidden Skill creates a magic barrier around you," Tiran explained. "It can take 100 hits, no matter the strength. After that, it absorbs your MP to sustain itself unless you de-activate it. The MP consumption scales with the force of the hits it takes."
 
"That's really useful," Fei said.
 
"Why do you think I was the [Shielder] in the [Hero]'s party?" Tiran asked. "Julius chose me for my Hidden Skill."
 
"Enough chit-chat," Leston said. "They're here." Twelve strange circular objects came bouncing out of the trees. They looked like the wheel of a car, only they were made of bones. Inside was a strange black fluid that softly pulsed with blue glowing light.
 
[The Wheels]
[Level X] [Hollow Vessel]
HP: [10,000/10,000]
MP: X
SP: X
 
"These ones have health," Kanata said.
 
"Yep," Leston said. "A lot of it. And we gotta take them out."
 
"Aw heck yeah!" Kanata said. She transformed into her darksoul form and lowered into an attack stance. I pulled back my bow.
 
And then our two groups clashed together.
0