Chapter 27 – Preparation for the meeting – part 1
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While softly grabbing the cup, Manananggal inquired, “A new word again? And I know for a fact that the toasted beans we use to make this drink don’t exist in any Demis or Ooman country. You seem to be a man of exquisite taste and extremely knowledgeable. We call this wake-up juice because of its medicinal properties. It can cut almost immediately the effects of alcohol, and it also works if you are lacking sleep by giving you a power boost.”

“Wake-up juice… I know that by a different name, but it is a potion, not a drink, and it is made of herbs. But this one has a better flavour, and it appears to be more potent because your eyes don’t seem as unfocused as they were before.”

“Yes. I am ashamed to admit it, but I was seeing two of you. Some members of the Dark Eight have a better tolerance than me for alcohol. I shouldn’t have drunk so much, but the conversation was funny, and I was having such a good time that I got distracted. So, if no one wants to repeat a dessert, considering the Fae is licking the fingers and Meryda is rubbing her belly, which seems about to explode, I am right to assume you are satisfied, and you enjoyed this meal?”

With everyone confirming, Manananggal finished her cup in one go and slowly got up. She looked at the floor, blinked a few times, and then announced, “All new again! Or almost! I am still feeling a bit dizzy, but nothing that a walk won’t cure. In a few minutes, the wake-up juice will kick in, and I will be ready to fly again.”

When they were again outside, Manananggal whispered in Craydon’s ear, “Do you mind if I hold your arm as we walk? I don’t want to trip and cause a scene. It wouldn’t be good for my reputation, and the citizens could get worried if they saw me falling face-flat on the ground.”

“I guess that won’t be a problem unless you can ruin your reputation by being seen holding a mere Demi-Cat arm.”

“No, people know that I like Demis a lot, and I already had quite a few Demis for partners over the years. A few Half-Demons that live here are my sons and daughters, actually. From my previous relationships with Demis.”

“Really? How many kids do you have?” asked Craydon, puzzled.

“Not as many as you may think, but I have lived for several centuries, you know? Having occasional partners is only natural. High Demons and Demons don’t have offspring that easily, but occasionally, we have.”

With a nod, Craydon continued. “I suppose so. But you already said something about High Demons and Demons, and that there is a difference. Care to enlighten me?”

“It has to do with our Magical power and life longevity. High Demons are more powerful and live longer. Nowadays, there are only eight High Demons, the members of the Dark Eight. If, by accident or by old age, one of us dies, their power will dissipate throughout our country, and a new Demon will be born with power enough to become a High Demon when it gets to the proper age. It depends on chance, but Half-Demon parents can have Half-Demon kids or Demon kids.”

“And that means High Demons have more Magic, then Demons, then Half-Demons, then Demis. Is that it?”

With a nod, Manananggal confirmed it and continued, “It doesn’t mean that every Half-Demon and every Demi who is born here has Magic. Some can’t even use any. In fact, over the years, there has been a reduction in the number of Half-Demons and Demis who can use Magic. According to our brighter minds, who study cases related to Magic and physiology, it is an evolution, making our population less dependent on Magic. You can learn more in the meeting with the Dark Eight because there are members there who can explain better than me, if you want. You just need to ask.”

Craydon went silent as they continued their walk, just looking around at all the strange, enormous buildings and the streets so full of life.

It was so different from the countries he visited on his voyage to get there that it almost seemed like a dream. There were so many things similar to what existed on Earth that it could only mean it was true what Manananggal told him, that because Demons didn’t have to worry so much with fights, wars, and Monsters like Oomans and Demis on the other side of the mountain range, they could focus their attention on researching and inventing things to make life better for everyone.

That was why there were several means of entertainment, different kinds of transport, and extraordinary food and beverages. Different stores, selling products that he only saw on Earth, like clothes shops with uniforms, other shops with work clothes for every job that existed in that country, and even the shop where he was now looking, an underwear shop, with two wooden models displaying nightwear in the window, making Manananggal say while pointing to a transparent set of under-bra and panties, “I have one just like that.”

With a gulp, Craydon continued his walk, with the High Demon at his side complaining, “You didn’t see it last night because you didn’t accept my offer.” Since he stayed silent, she continued with a grin, “There is still time, you know? After the meeting in our capital, we will have plenty of time for all sorts of activities! Including night activities”

“I already told you, I have another woman in my life, so stop messing with me!”

“I am not messing with you; I told you, I am merely tempting you! It is up to you to fall for my temptation or not. I am not going to force you to do anything! I am just going to create opportunities for you to use. If you will use them or not, it is only up to you.”

With a sigh, Craydon continued his walk, with Manananggal giggling right at his side.

Behind them, the Fae whispered to Meryda, “It seems your father will have a lot of trouble with her! She is funny! She keeps messing with him, and I think he is having a lot of problems not kissing her right now!”

“If he does that, Rusha will probably kill him!” answered Meryda in a whisper.

“We won’t tell her if you won’t! He needs to relax and have fun. We think he has been under a lot of stress ever since you guys left your farm. Probably he has been worried sick because of you, always thinking about the dangers he would encounter, all the people he would meet that could try to use you for their personal plans, and such. And now you are here, perfectly safe in a country with beings that don’t seem to want to use you for anything and are merely showing all the wonders they created.”

Meryda nodded and said in a low tone, “Yeah, this country is amazing! Theatres, casinos, buses, wine, and those desserts! They were all so good! Why is this country so evolved? They have so many things like we had on Earth!”

“That is what happens when a country is not worried about invading other countries or dealing with Monsters and wild animals. They have all the time in the world to figure out ways for their people to live better. And you haven’t seen the quality of their hospitals or the equipment they use! Most of them have Magic, but there are several that are merely mechanical. Oh, she stopped there! You are going to love what they do in this building!”

Meryda looked puzzled at the building the High Demon and her father were entering, and she followed in silence, with her Monsters at her side.

A Half-Demon man was guiding them to a desk in a large lobby, and the Demi-Dog woman there made a deep bow and asked, “What may I do for you today, High Demon Manananggal?”

“I just want to confirm my fight plan because we are leaving for the capital. Is everything in order?”

“It is if you leave as soon as you can. The arrival window is open for you, as long as you get there at the correct time. If you get there late, you have to fly in circles until a flight messenger tells you it is safe to land.”

Seeing that both Craydon and Meryda were extremely confused, Manananggal explained, “There are always Demons and Drakes flying around, so we have flight paths perfectly established and proper procedures so that there are no accidents. We have a building in the capital with people following the flights of every flying creature who is approaching or leaving the capital by watching very attentively several Magical equipment there. For sure, you saw other Drakes flying while we were coming here, and so far, I am fulfilling my accorded flight. I had to present previously the path we would use, where we were going, and at which time we would arrive and leave every City we visited. Now I just confirmed if everything was in order so that we could land in the capital within the landing window that I asked for previously. Not even a High Demon can land and fly without telling the Flight Department. For security reasons. We can’t have accidents in the air, can we?”

“But we didn’t go to a building like this in the other City!” said Craydon.

“Because I took care of everything before going to get you from that Ooman campsite. So far, we have been on time, but with our delayed lunch and the walk, I had to confirm if we were still in our fly window. Since we are, we can leave for the capital.”

Manananggal thanked the woman at the desk and then followed the Half-Demon to the exit, with him bowing profusely as she left the building.

Outside, Craydon looked up and saw a long pole on the top of that building with some sort of light, which could be a Magical Crystal, making him ask, “The equipment to control flights and to check where everyone is flying is controlled by crystals and Magic, right?”

“Yes. And highly trained personnel. It is not an easy job. In fact, it’s one of the most stressful things we have. Well, not more than mine, of course, because I have an entire country on my wings, and a lot of people depend on me and my decisions.”

As they continued their walk, Craydon was even more puzzled. What country was that, that even had flight controllers and flight towers to keep track of all the flights?

It was becoming more and more difficult for him not to compare the Demon's country with Earth. There was still a lack of technology, but that was easily compensated with Magic and a bunch of Magical Crystals at their disposal.

When they arrived at the enormous building near the entrance of the City, Meryda went there to retrieve her Monsters, so that they could continue their voyage.

During their flight, Craydon was once again looking down to all the cropped fields and occasional houses, noticing that the houses were a lot closer to each other than they were until there, and that could only mean that it was because the capital was near.

It took them another hour to see a City on the horizon. As they got near, Craydon was frowning. The height of the buildings was impressive, with some looking like skyscrapers.

As they approached, Meryda tilted her head as she took a better look at the approaching buildings. She made her Drake get near her father and asked, “Is it only me, or are you also trying to find Spider-Man webbing around those buildings?”

“No… I was starting to think it looked a lot like New York. What is happening in this country? How the heck are they so advanced, considering the rest of the World is stuck in the Middle Ages? The only thing missing is-”

A shadow approaching from the north and higher in the sky made him look up, and he gasped, “Is that an aeroplane? It has wings, but it can’t be a Drake!”

0