Chapter 28 – The meeting – part 1
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While looking at the massive castle, Craydon asked, “But why is the Alliance so focused on that particular section of the mountain range? I noticed it doesn’t have high mountains full of snow like the rest of the mountain range, but there are no crystals anywhere else on that side of the mountain range?”

“Strangely, no, there aren’t. We are not sure why. Maybe it is some sick joke that Crosslot played on us to have a few scattered Magical Crystals on its surface, some on that small section of the mountain range, and the rest on our side of the mountain range, all the way to the north and back to the south.”

While still looking through the window, the Fae said, “There were Magical Crystals all over the World when the first Demons arrived; that is why they could live anywhere. When the first Demis arrived, the Demons saw them as trespassers and wanted to kill them all. But mysteriously, the crystals started to sink into the ground, and the Demons had to move to Oka, where there were still crystals. The same happened when the first Oomans appeared. The Demons wanted to eradicate them, and the Oka crystals also disappeared, forcing the Demons to come to this side and create this country. Your ancestors messed with your written history to hide what they tried to do, but Fae remembers it very well.”

Demon Manananggal asked, looking puzzled, “Is that why when our ancestors appeared last time in our meeting room, they said you were not their enemies and never were? You are really just observers?”

The Fae faced the puzzled High Demon and said, “Fae were never your ancestors’ enemies, because they were never worthy opponents. We were here before the first Demon arrived, and we never saw Demons as trespassers, only as guests. That changed when the first Demis arrived, and it changed again when the first Oomans arrived. Your ancestors didn’t move here on their own accord. They were exiled here so that they didn’t mess with the other species. That is the real history, not the ones they let you learn.”

While Manananggal turned pale, Craydon asked with a serious look, “That means Fae are even more powerful than any Demon or High Demon out there, right?”

“You always suspected us ever since the beginning, didn’t you? But you don’t have anything to fear from us like we have already told you so many times. Things are getting to a point where Oomans are not welcome anymore; that is why we never interfered in the war in the mountain range near Oka, and now we are just waiting to see what Meryda and the Dark Eight will decide. Like Manananggal already said, things are not looking good for the Oomans.”

With a gulp, Meryda said, “But… not all Oomans are evil! What about those guys we talked to on the front lines? Most of them were forced to join, and many only joined to get a crystal to help their village fight Monsters! If they had another option, I am sure they would never help the Ooman Alliance!”

With a grin, the green being said, “That is something you must remember when you have to decide what to do in your future, friend. Fae will always stand by your side, but the fact still remains that Oomans are pushing their luck a bit too far. Sooner or later, their luck will run out. If Crosslot decides to get rid of them for good, there is nothing you or us can do.”

With a slight frown, Craydon said, “You know, the way you said that almost makes it sound like Crosslot, this world, has a choice. What can a world do against an entire species?”

While facing the window again, the enigmatic Fae answered, “Ask that to the Demon ancestors when you see them. They might tell you if they are not still ashamed of what happened to them.”

Craydon became silent, looking at the Fae’s back. He leaned on his seat and said, surprising even the High Demon seated at his side, “I am starting to think you are Crosslot, Fae, and this body of yours is merely an avatar. That is why you introduced yourself as nature the first time we met you. You don’t need to say anything; I am just talking to myself.”

“Other beings have called us many things over the years, but avatar is a first. Interesting word, actually. What does it mean?”

“An avatar is a representation of something, like Magical Crystals can be a representation of Magic. Something like that.”

The strange green being gone silent, looking through the window. After a while, they started to mumble, “An avatar… Fae, the avatar… it sounds nice…”

The carriage stopping called their attention, and it also prevented Meryda from asking the Fae why they were smiling while mumbling.

Demon Manananggal exited first, still in shock because of everything she heard. Meryda, the Fae, and Craydon followed her and stared at a Half-Demon Demi-Cat man who was bowing at them. “Welcome High Demon Manananggal and guests. The other members of the Dark Eight are already in the meeting room. Will you go straight there, or do you wish to rest for a while?”

After checking with the others, Demon Manananggal answered, “We will go straight to the meeting room. We might as well get over this as fast as possible. I know I am not going to sleep anytime soon, anyway. Lucky for me, I don’t need to sleep much.”

The man escorted them through the massive entrance, where two gigantic metal doors were wide open and two Demons were standing guard on each side with a swarm of beetles at their feet.

Meryda made a slight frown as she was walking, still staring at the nearest Demon, making Manananggal explain, “Our Monster Tamers, the Mambabarang. Try not to tame their swarm, will you? They don’t like it when people mess with their Monsters.”

In a whisper, Meryda asked, “They look kind of scary with their short horns and melted faces, don’t they?”

“They are our fighting Demons. They are supposed to be scary, you know?”

As they were entering the castle, Meryda kept looking back at those strange Demons and the swarm of Monsters at their feet. At least, until she heard her father gasp, and then she looked up to where he was staring.

The ceiling was at such a height that all her Drakes could be flying in circles in there, and there would still be plenty of room.

On the ceiling and every wall, there were massive crystals, shading light all around and illuminating that spacious hall.

From there, they walked to a door on the right wall, which led to a large, bright corridor full of crystals on hangers embodied in the wall. A lot of doors were on both sides of that corridor, which probably led to more corridors or more rooms.

Their guide finally stopped near a door by the end of that corridor, where two other Mambabarang were standing with two Black Shucks next to them.

The door opened, and when Meryda was staring at one Black Shuck with an enormous smile, one Mambabarang said, “Go in, Monster Tamer. They are waiting for you.”

“I have two, just like these guys! But yours has more muscles, and they are bigger!”

“That is because Mambabarang Monster Tamers don’t overpower their Monsters like other Monster Tamers do. We let them be free, and we are often training their bodies so that they can grow strong and big.”

“I don’t overpower mines as well! Why would I overpower my friends? But these guys are enormous! What do they eat? Meat? Or Magic?”

The Mambabarang answered with a shine in their eyes, “Sometimes, we fed them little girls, the curious type.”

That mockery made the Salamander growl, and the small Emptiness hovered extremely close to the Mambabarang’s melted face, while Meryda said, “I might try to feed you to my Emptiness to see if he can grow as well! You are kind of rude; I was just asking a question!”

“Get this thing out of my face before I tell my Black Shuck to take your head off!”

With a grin, Meryda started to shine, and the two Black Shucks shone in response, making the two Mambabarang jolt. Then, Meryda said with a smile, “Come with me, you cute little doggies! Let’s leave this rude person out here alone!”

The two Mambabarangs couldn’t believe what was happening, and they just stood there, watching as Meryda entered the meeting room with two Black Shucks by her side, while the High Demon Manananggal said, “You shouldn’t have messed with someone you know nothing about. Now you just lost your Monsters, along with your pride. She was merely curious, and you made her angry with your mockery.”

The surprised Mambabarang said in a low voice, “But how could she do that? A Monster Tamer can’t tame the Monster of another Monster Tamer! That should be impossible!”

“Now you understand why she came here, don’t you? I believe an apology is in order?”

The Mambabarang made a deep bow and said, “Forgive my lack of tact, Monster Tamer. It was extremely rude of me to say all that to you.”

Meryda answered while caressing the enormous heads of her new Monsters, “I forgive you, but I can’t return these pretty things to you. I don’t even know how to do that! I never untamed a Monster before, so I am not sure if I can do it!”

With a gentle smile, the High Demon at her side asked, “Why don’t you try then? I am sure the moment you let them go, these two Mambabarang can tame them immediately.”

Meryda nodded and started to shine. Both Black Shucks shone in response, and she told them, “I am going to release you guys so that your previous owners can take care of you, okay? I already have two of you, so I think you will be better with these two Monster Tamers.”

The moment Meryda stopped shining, the two Monsters stopped as well, and that was the signal for the two Mambabarang fighters to shine, making the Black Shucks go to them, standing at their side again.

Meryda waved at them and faced the room. At the long table in the middle of the room, strange-looking beings were staring at her. Craydon and Meryda stood in silence, looking at them, while Demon Manananggal invited them to a seat before going to hers.

When they were all seated, Meryda was looking around at all those strange beings, while Manananggal was introducing them.

Demon Azazel, who looked like a Demi-Centaur but was bigger than one, with his horns and the three pairs of wings, was the acting president of that coven.

Demon Lamashtu with her head of a lioness, round, short ears, and feet like a bird should have, but with sharp and long crooked nails. Her enormous belly made Meryda smile, thinking that it was a very weird pregnant lady, but her tendency to want Oomans and Demis dead worried Meryda, when Manananggal said that.

Demon Pazuzu, with the head of a lion and the body of a man, an eagle’s talons, a pair of wings, and a scorpion’s tail. A strange, trembling scorpion’s tail, who, according to Manananggal, was always on the Oomans’ and Demis’ side.

Demon Manananggal, to whom Meryda smiled, admiring her beautiful looks and enormous bat-like wings, introduced herself as responsible for all newcomers until they joined the society as productive members.

Meryda then lost her smile when her gaze stopped on the other Demons there.

Demon Pyshacha, a being dark-complexioned with bulging veins and moist, protruding predatory eyes. In charge of battle strategy and defensive methods, and the Headmaster in several Institutes of the Demon's country.

Demon Erynyes, an extremely beautiful woman with long, curvilinear horns and dark bat wings, with claws at the edge that she could probably use to tear apart her targets. In charge of everything that concerned food and natural resources, and the Headmaster of several Institutes in the Demon's country.

Demon Fyend, with an enormous dark red body with long, twisted horns and a body that resembled a gorilla. An extremely intelligent being, in charge of everything that concerned Biology and Chemistry, and the Headmaster of several Institutes in the Demon's country.

Demon Railbeater, the most respected blacksmith of all the Demons. He looked like a greyish dwarf with horns, but he also seemed much stronger than one. In charge of everything that concerned mechanics and metal and the Headmaster of several Institutes in the Demon's country.

0