Chapter 28.3 – The meeting – part 1.3
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After an agitated night, with Meryda mumbling in her sleep as if she were having nightmares and Craydon sleeping at her side, caressing her head and trying to calm her down, the morning came, and after breakfast, a Half-Demoi Demi-Dog woman arrived to get them because they were being summoned.

Meryda and Craydon were walking with the Fae along the large corridor that led to the meeting room after the enormous breakfast in the dining room. Right in front of the massive door, the Fae hugged Meryda and dissolved into the floor.

Upon entering, Meryda noticed the serious looks upon her, with Manananggal making a gentle smile as she asked, “You didn’t sleep very well, did you? Your eyes are swollen.”

Meryda sat on an empty chair and answered, “Yours as well, like everyone else. None of you got any sleep?”

Azazel rubbed his face with both hands and said, “I can’t even remember the last time I slept. I think it was before I found out about your powers. After that, I am always here, reading reports, having meetings, and eating here occasionally. I am so, so tired… and things are about to become even worse, with so much work ahead of us!”

With a gulp, Meryda asked, “The votes… what happened?”

“Seven in favour and one against. Even with everything Oomans did until now, Pazuzu still wants to protect them as much as he can.”

“And… what happens now?” asked Meryda, trembling all over.

“Now everyone in our departments who have some free time and everyone with experience in management or logistics in our country is already flying to the Ooman countries to take control. Last night, Lamashtu sent an order to all the Sub-Monsters in Ooman countries. All rulers and every Noble, including their heirs, are now dead. The ones who were spared were women, children, and babies. Grandparents also died. If any Noblewoman or child opposes our people the moment they arrive, Sub-Demons or Emptinesses will also kill them. Manananggal already sent all Emptinesses she has to guard the castles, mansions, and palaces of all Nobles in Ooman countries. A certain Ooman Ambassador in Oka also found his demise. All of them died during their sleep or died swiftly. I can guarantee they didn’t suffer or suffered the least possible.”

While Meryda went silent, Craydon asked, “What about the Oomans that will for sure go against your people the moment they arrive? I am not seeing a bunch of Ooman fanatics agreeing to be ruled by Demons!”

“Demois. That is what we are called now. We took your advice, and we all agreed it was better to use our ancient name in this endeavour. And whoever opposes us will be eaten by Drakes or turned into manure by an Emptiness. And according to the Fae, they are already there, preparing the terrain for our arrival.”

Craydon saw the Fae at the table, nodding. “Dozens, and in certain cases, hundreds of Fae, are in every household that once had a Noble. We disarmed the guards, and we even took their armour. Not even daggers and knives escaped our search. When the Demois arrive there by flying Drakes or Karkadanns, they won’t face any opposition. And the few that might oppose will become food.”

With a sigh, Azazel explained, “We are very aware that the common Ooman folk will try to go against us, since they were led to believe for centuries that we were evil, and we would invade and kill them all. Many of them will try to fight us and lose. The Fae will try to prevent them from attacking our people, but the ones that can’t be stopped or can’t accept a Demoi as their new ruler will become food as well. Our reign will start with fear, and we will stop harshly any and every revolt at the same time that we teach them our ways. A peaceful approach can’t be used with Oomans. With time, they will see that our ways are better when they realize how much better their lives have become. The Emptinesses and the Drakes will also patrol the sky and land to get rid of any Monster or wild animal that might threaten a village or a city.”

The Fae stood up and spoke while looking into the void. “According to Crosslot’s advice, we are now in front of every Ooman that exists in this World. We will connect our voices to this Fae so that everyone can hear what we are about to say.”

Meryda and Craydon looked at each other, wondering why the Fae spoke in such a serious tone that it sounded as if it were coming from the castle itself. Then, everyone heard the strange green being, and a chill crossed their entire bodies, reaching the deepest of their souls.

“We are Fae. We are Goddess Cinna. We are the living World, Crosslot. We got enough of you, Oomans. Your behaviour is no longer accepted. A race of beings that have lived for millennia after the mountain range that divides this continent from north to south has been living there peacefully for years upon years. You know them as Demons. They are, in fact, Demois. They have sent representatives to guide all the Ooman countries in this World. You will receive them peacefully, or you will die. You are not allowed to fight, rebel, or, by any means, mine their efforts to make the Ooman countries as developed as their country. If any of you can’t accept these last terms, you are free to slice your throats. Millennia ago, the first species to arrive in this World thought they could do anything they wanted until Crosslot got enough of them and banished them. Consider yourself lucky because you are granted the privilege of living, as long as you don’t cause any fuss. Your rulers are dead. All your Nobles are also dead. Continue to live your lives under the Demois’ guidance, or you won’t stay alive.”

The green being gone silent for a few seconds, as if it were hearing what someone was saying to them, and then continued. “Yes, we are Fae. We are, and we always have been, observers, but hundreds of years ago, your greed, arrogance, and the way you treated Demis and fellow Oomans angered Goddess Cinna, and she wanted to exterminate you all. We convinced her to spare you. Now we regret doing it. Consider yourself lucky, because a young Demi-Cat girl, a very powerful Monster Tamer, wants you all to be spared. She even spoke with the Dark Eight, the Demois who rule the Demoi country and pleaded for their mercy and help. Don’t forget our warning. Accept the Demois’ guidance and live peacefully. Any attempt to harm them or disrupt their work will end your life.”

The Fae sat at the table again, and while looking at Meryda, they said, “Your friend Pof Grinun and all your friends are in the Guild of Amberstar, and he is slapping the Fae that was delivering our message to the Guild Master, demanding to know if you are still alive and when you are going to return. You want to say something to him?”

With her face all red, Meryda stuttered, “T-Tell h-him that I… I am alright… and… and I will return soon… and… and…” Looking down, she said in a low voice, “And I miss him…”

The Fae nodded, and after a few seconds, they said, “He says he is going to punch your head for worrying him so much. And he also misses you.”

While rubbing his face with both hands, Demoi Azazel spoke in a tired voice, “Now our work has just increased. Meryda and Craydon Crawler, if you don’t have anything to say, it would be better if you left to let us work. We have so much to discuss and prepare that we won’t leave this room so soon. You are free to visit this country and talk with our people. Stay for as long as you want, and go home when you feel like it. No one will go after Meryda, and no one will demand from her anything. When she decides it is time, she can return and apply to the Biology Institute if she still wants to study there.”

Craydon raised his hand and said, “I have one question. Those Oomans that were captured in the Alliance campsite when Manananggal went for us, with all these changes, will be allowed to return home? What about all the Oomans that are living in your country? Since the war in the mountain range practically ended, will they ever be allowed to return home?”

“That is one step of Resolution 12,” answered Demoi Azazel, and after a slow, deep breath, he continued, “We have too many things to take care of before we give them that option. In the future, voyages between our country and all the other countries will be a normal thing to do, but that might take some time. But it will happen for sure.”

With an enormous smile, Demoi Railbeater got up and said while approaching Craydon, “You can continue from here, Azazel, because I have a certain matter to speak with this fine gentleman here regarding his curious weapon! I will come back shortly!”

Demoi Azazel was about to argue, but Railbeater cut him off immediately: “Don’t you even try! When we get to the points in the Resolution that require my expertise, I will be here! The next few days will be all about you and Erynyes, with Lamashtu helping her. Let’s go, Craydon, before that annoying four-legged brat annoys me, and I am forced to remove his ugly head from his shoulders!”

While Craydon got up, he looked around the table and said, “It was an honour meeting you all. I didn’t know what to expect when I came here with my daughter, but ever since we met Manananggal in the Ooman campsite, it was one marvel after the other. Despite your scary looks and the annoying character of some of you sometimes, you are all amazing, kind souls, and I would be honoured if you could consider me as a friend.”

Eight gentle smiles were staring at him, and Demoi Azazel spoke in such a tone that he sounded completely different, as if he were peace incarnated. “Likewise, Craydon Crawler. You and your daughter have shown us that there is still hope for peace. We will meet again after everything calms down, and we promise we will have some free time to be proper hosts on your next visit.”

While leaving the room, Craydon said, “I am going to collect that promise, Demoi Azazel!”

Meryda and the Fae walked along the main corridor, visiting several rooms and meeting everyone who worked in that castle, while her father and Demoi Railbeater were discussing the crossbow and taking care of a selling contract so that Craydon could get a cut of the profit that would come from the mass production and sales of his weirdly easy-to-use weapon.

When Meryda and the Fae finally entered the biggest dining room of that castle, her father and Railbeater were already there, but so distracted with their conversation that they didn’t even notice Meryda was sitting next to them.

Food came, and by the time Meryda and the Fae were enjoying a very colourful cake as a dessert, Craydon was still talking with the smiling dwarf-looking Demoi.

Following his advice to visit the capital, Craydon and Meryda went to her Drakes, and after a Demi-Dog stable boy helped tie the Black Shucks to the Drake’s saddle, they took off, leaving on the ground a smiling Demoi Railbeater waving at them.

0