Chapter 01 ✦ Harmonious Merchant
20 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A crackling sound echoed in her ears, the scent of burning wood and sweet mosspine engulfing the air; she awoke slowly to the warmth and alluring glow of the nearby flames, a soothing ambience complemented by a jovial humming.

"Finally came back to your senses." A hoarse voice spoke. Her eyes traveled across the room, and soon noticed a well upholstered man standing at the rear. "I wasn’t sure when you'd wake up." He commented, as he tossed some logs onto the fireplace.

A swift glimpse at her surroundings, she realized she was lying in bed, most of her attire removed. She gasped in awareness, fear waving across her face. She stood up with haste, a hand upon her chest. Her eyes found their way to the man; of mangy clothes and questionable appearance, he approached her slowly. Her posture tightened, her body shivering.

"No need for panic- I mean you no harm." He spoke calmly, as he noticed her frigid expression. "The name’s Acamor." She remained silent, her eyes never leaving his sight. "Over there- your clothes should be long dry." He commented, as he pointed towards a nearby chair. Her expression lightened slightly, her eyes flickering with relief. "You were unconscious and completely drenched when he brought you here... right in the middle of the night- I wasn't sure what to do with you, seeing the-" He cleared his throat. "Condition you were in- being a lady and all..."

"…" She sighed, as her gaze wandered from side to side. The Void of Mors... this cold and dreadful feeling eating away at my very soul... Her eyes narrowed. "Where am I?" She refocused on the man.

"Good old Shanty's Emporium- and my very own little shop." He answered in a joyful tone, as he gestured proudly, in presentation to the tacky but somewhat charming setting. Although she sensed his harmonious nature to be trustworthy, she remained cautious; a rapid glance around, she noticed both her dagger and pouch on a nearby table.

"How long have I been here?" She asked, as she sauntered to her belongings.

"Hm- about three days." He answered truthfully.

A wave of uneasiness spread across the room; moments of silence seemingly endless. Her mind faltered, for all she could remember were shattered memories; glimpses vague and blurred, and a darkness engulfing her mind, her body swallowed by the depths of nothingness.

"Feeling hungry?" He eventually asked. "I’ve got some fresh bread and grapevine sap- not much, but it'll get you going for a while."

"I will do without... thank you." She replied with a smile. She grabbed her pouch, a glimpse at the man, as she looked inside; to her surprise, its content was whole.

"Come on now- I'm an honest merchant, not a thief..." He let out a long sigh; he shook his head, and shrugged his shoulders, his expression somewhat stung.

"I didn't mean-" Her own countenance showed remorse.

"Nah- it's alright little missy." He waved his hands. "Can't really blame you- I know I don't look like the most dependable man around-" His features softened, a warm smile on his face. She replied in kind.

"That night… there was a man on the roof…" She recalled this one clear detail. "Cloaked in shadows, with one eye glistering like a gemstone…"

He gestured for her to take a seat by the fire; he poured her some sap, sliced up a plump loaf of bread, and pulled out a handful of sweets from his secret stash. She obliged, unable to further deny her growing hunger; her spellforce depleted, she had to rebuild strength.

 

 

9