Chapter 22: The Hawk’s Gaze and The Fox’s Guile
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A cold drop hit Cassidy’s stomach the moment she learned of the incident from Wynn.

 

The very idea of having to deal with Gianna directly contradicted her goal of operating unnoticed. The overlap of her civilian and vigilante identities in yet another case carried substantial risks. Still, she understood all too well the fragile nature of plans. That Crow had managed to turn a potential standstill into a viable path forward earned him some gratitude.

 

A leader makes the best of every scenario, Cassidy told herself before making a mental note to thank Alban.

 

Cassidy opted for patience over haste though and prioritized her immediate obligations over contacting Gianna immediately. Only when the evening shadows lengthened and the quiet of night settled in did she initiate contact. She sent a succinct text, guiding Gianna to PriviChat for a more secure conversation. Then she settled into her chair at the PC and powered up the app.

 

It wasn’t long before Gianna’s account flashed on the screen. Cassidy clicked accept and their discussion began.

 

“I expected we’d meet eventually,” Gianna said. “You have a habit of meddling with those I represent.”

 

“Perhaps you should consider being a bit more selective with your clients,” Cassidy said, her natural tone obscured by the Voice Cloak Pro’s advanced modulation.

 

“I’d consider nobler clients if they paid better. Unfortunately, principles aren’t very lucrative. I’m sure you understand – what with you being a thief.”

 

Cassidy teeth meshed in a silent snarl. “And you should be acutely aware of the impact your information hoarding would have if the truth surfaced.”

 

“Unquestionably,” she said, maintaining a level pitch. “This dialogue and my recent actions are not without reason. I saw working with Vincent Sharpe as the optimal approach to be of use to you.”

 

“How did you deduce that was the best option?”

 

“Give back my data drive and I will answer that question. And many more.”

 

Cassidy’s shoulders coiled tight. Ridiculous. As if she’d agree to such a farce. “I’d advise you to come up with a better offer.”

 

“A trade, then: one mark’s data returned for each insight offered.”

 

Cassidy’s brow lifted. Gianna was offering something more reasonable. Almost too reasonable…

 

Door-in-the-face technique!

 

The urge to chuckle pressed against Cassidy’s chest while the corners of her mouth twitched. Gianna’s attempt was so transparent. Still, she had nothing to lose in entertaining her ploy. “I trust you understand that I won’t discard the data.”

 

“I would have been skeptical if you claimed you would. With that established, do we have a deal?”

 

“Yes, let’s proceed. What have you gathered?”

 

“Information first, please. It would be a rookie mistake for me to trust a thief without validating their claim.”

 

“I can respect that level of prudence,” Cassidy said, her voice seasoned with a soft, appreciative laugh. Then she reached for the flash drive, its metallic body cool under her fingertips, and plugged it into her PC.

 

The file was located and sent within seconds. A rapid transfer sealed the file's fate as it landed in Gianna's inbox.

 

Seconds ticked by with the sounds of mouse clicks and soft hums until Gianna offered her assessment. “This is in line with my memory. Your cooperation is appreciated.”

 

“Now then, please proceed.”

 

“Vincent sought out Dr. Billings, attributing the expose’s flair to you. Since I was already engaging in an investigation at the Doctor’s behest, he recommended Vincent to me.”

 

Cassidy’s chin found her chin as the pieces clicked into position. “The entire scenario is now clear. Upon recognizing the data as yours, you investigated the vault. There, Mr. Banks spoke of ‘a previous visit’ – my own.”

 

“For the record, I didn’t bring Mr. Banks’ oversight to light. I chose leniency.”

 

I bet it was more about being pragmatic than merciful. Not that it mattered – it was the result she sought. “Noted. So, you teamed up with Vincent, expecting me to reach out. That’s logical. What’s puzzling me is your presence at that café.”

 

“Vincent tasked me with an operation.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Cassidy Cain. Everything traces back to Cassidy’s recent activities.”

 

Cassidy tilted her head. “And how exactly is Cassidy relevant here?”

 

“Given your previous intrusion into Cassidy’s life, Vincent has reason to believe she’s linked to you. And her current predicament appears to be the sort that interests you. Whether you’re involved is irrelevant to me. Simply know that I can offer you my findings, for a small fee.”

 

The corners of Cassidy’s mouth dipped. She had to be probing for weaknesses – testing to see what leverage she could hold over her. “Let’s not stray from our original deal: your task is to spill all the details you’ve uncovered.”

 

“Very well. I will disclose what I know. But first, I need to know how much you grasp about the situation at Brystead Correctional.”

 

No question about it, Cassidy mused while bobbing her head, she’s probing the limits of my knowledge. “Consider me a blank slate and inform me about everything important.”

 

As requested, Gianna outlined the tragic end of Sam’s life, Edan’s role in unveiling the mystery, and law enforcement’s current efforts at locating Hugo Stein.

 

“Interesting story,” Cassidy said after Gianna finished, “but it doesn’t clarify your presence at the café.”

 

“The incident became Cassidy’s gateway to confronting Andrea Belmont, who she subsequently enticed into a wager with considerable implications.”

 

“And this brought you to the café because…?” Cassidy asked with a tone tinged with a push for an answer.

 

“Vincent, acting on Edward's suspicions about Cassidy Cain's motives, theorizes your involvement in possibly manipulating the Tennis match's outcome. My assignment was to surveil Mariposa for any signs of this theory in action. Mariposa’s earlier visit to the café prompted my own.”

 

The distance between Cassidy and her desk diminished as she leaned in with a smirk wide and knowing. Pretending to know less than she did was tedious but worthwhile for that moment.

 

“You positioned yourself at the café ahead of Mariposa. How were you so certain she’d visit?”

 

“I managed to hack into her smartphone. She had an appointment with a reporter, but it didn’t proceed as planned.”

 

Cassidy brushed her fingers against one another in a spiral dance, mirroring the tempest of ideas swirling inside her head. There were so many options, yet so little time…

 

“If you’re curious,” Gianna said, “their assumptions about Mariposa are correct. She’s vulnerable.”

 

Cassidy’s brow arched.

 

“I am prepared to reveal my findings to you,” she continued, “on the condition you reciprocate with another one of my mark’s data.”

 

As if hit by an invisible force, Cassidy stopped all motion. Was her fortune genuine? Was Gianna seriously presenting her with her goal on a silver platter?

 

Everything’s aligning too perfectly…

 

Given Gianna's history with her clients and her dealings with Vincent, trusting her blindly would be foolish. For all she knew, Gianna was orchestrating a scenario to compromise her position.

 

I’m still the one holding the cards, her more optimistic side noted. As long as she kept a backup of the data, Gianna wouldn’t dare make a move against her.

 

Cassidy opened the flash drive once more and scanned its contents before deciding its fate. With a deliberate click, she dispatched the document through the app.

 

“The data’s yours,” she said as a ‘delivered’ icon flashed on the screen. “Now, share what you’ve discovered.”

 

“I suspect that Mariposa and Sam were having an affair.”

 

Cassidy pursed her lips. “You suspect?”

 

“Let’s start with Mariposa’s regular visits to Samuel during his incarceration. At first glance, this might seem irrelevant. However, when you factor in her many visits to the Serenade love hotel before The Emerging Elites Invitational – and her substantial decline in visits after the tournament and the stabbing incident – the picture paints itself.”

 

Cassidy blinked twice with eyes as wide as a full moon. “How did you discover her trips to Serenade?”

 

“Her map settings revealed numerous visits months ago.”

 

Cassidy’s lips sank into a frown. “So, you don’t have any decisive evidence?”

 

“Hence my use of the word ‘suspect.’ You’re welcome to investigate if you believe me wrong.”

 

Her frown deepened. The situation reeked of a setup, but she couldn’t forsake the opportunity to investigate the hotel offered. What’s more, she could’ve been seeing shadows where there were none.

 

“I’ve yet to report any of this to Vincent,” Gianna said. “And for the right price, I’ll keep it that way.”

 

As always, Cassidy’s found refuge in the soft flesh of her inner cheek. Seven was the count when Cassidy first acquired the file, counting Dr. Billings. Gianna’s strategies had whittled that number to three. She’d have to exercise caution with those.

 

“Keep this between us,” Cassidy said, “and I’ll send you another cache of data once the doubles match happens.”

 

She loathed to admit how invested she was, but it paled in comparison to the dangers of Vincent’s awareness.

 

Once Cassidy’s conditions were accepted, there wasn’t much left for her and Gianna to discuss. Gianna extended her thanks for their arrangement, expressed her anticipation for their next encounter, and then ended the call, leaving Cassidy to reflect on what had occurred.

 

Gianna’s reputation was clearly well-earned. The way she held her own made it clear she was not to be underestimated. Perhaps, in Gianna, she had found a rival worthy of respect – who would perpetually demand her best.

 

This might be thrilling, she thought, smiling, before circling back to Gianna’s deduction and what it would take to confirm the theory.

 

Who would have thought that her adventures would include a love hotel heist?

2