Chapter 2: The Starlit Summit
220 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sunlit skyscape softened into a rosy blush as Cassidy worked. She followed Crow’s instructions to the letter, retrieved the information from the data drive, and studied its contents. By the time it came to rendezvous with the rest of the crew, the night sky had spread out its full celestial beauty. The ethereal glow of the cosmos painted a stark contrast against the twinkling city Cassidy and company cruised through in the plush comfort of her black luxury sedan.

 

“Do we really need to go fishing?” asked Rebecca, the peach-toned girl who sat at Cassidy’s side in the backseat.

 

With a button nose and heart-shaped face, Rebecca was an eye-catching figure. Her cornflower-blue eyes were sapphires framed by lashes as light as her wavy, honey-blonde hair, which she had styled in a braided ponytail. She wore a vibrant, oversized graphic T-shirt that artfully concealed her ample chest and draped elegantly over her shapely thighs.

 

“I mean, it’s a nice disguise and all,” she said, “but couldn’t we have chosen something more exciting?”

 

“Give me a quiet, uneventful meeting any day,” Wynn said, who was once more at the steering wheel. He dressed in the black suit he typically wore while on the clock.

 

“I wouldn’t label this meeting as ‘uneventful,’” Cassidy said, now her true self.

 

Her outfit was a study in balance: a deep teal silk blouse left casually unbuttoned at the top, black capris, and loafers. The ensemble flattered her creamy complexion, piercing jade eyes, and long, silky red hair. A straight fringe crowned her forehead while side locks brushed her cheeks.

 

“We did stumble upon some valuable intelligence,” she continued.

 

“I can already feel my heart skipping a beat with anticipation,” Wynn deadpanned. “Truly, it is a gift to be kept in suspense.”

 

Just as Cassidy’s snicker began to bubble up, Rebecca silenced it by laying her head against Cassidy’s shoulder. A whisper of cherry blossoms and jasmine invaded the air around Cassidy and stirred her senses.

 

“Won’t you tell me, at least?” Rebecca asked with a playful pout. “And here I thought we were past keeping secrets…”

 

Cassidy’s stomach knotted. She’s just teasing, her mind countered. Still, she couldn’t simply let it slide – at least, she couldn’t without making clear it struck a chord. “As much as I enjoy our little banter, could we leave that particular story in the past?”

 

“Ah,” Rebecca said, her face stricken, “sorry. Got a bit carried away. I’ll keep that story in the history books from now on!”

 

Cassidy leaned in and brushed her lips against Rebecca’s in a swift, soft peck. “I appreciate you.”

 

A soft smile bloomed on Rebecca’s face while relief lit up her eyes. Then, with a honeyed voice, she said, “Can I have another?”

 

“Hate to burst the love bubble,” Wynn said, “but I’m still here. Save the PDA for later.”

 

Oh, the fun I can have with this, she mused as her lips curved into a smirk. Wynn was practically begging for her to poke at him. “I haven’t forgotten. Your presence is what makes it thrilling.”

 

He groaned as Rebecca giggled.

 

“You two better keep it clothed back there,” Wynn said, “or else I’m making sure our journey ends with a literal bang.”

 

Cassidy’s hand shot to her lips as the corners of her mouth twitched. She had to give credit where it was due; his quip had its merits.

 

The three continued to chat as they cruised through the labyrinth of flashing billboards and neon-lit streets. High-rises adorned with vibrant signs touched the star-speckled sky while the streets pulsed with the rhythm of nocturnal life. Vendors hawked their wares under the glow of streetlamps while bars and clubs spilled out music and raucous laughter. Despite the many distractions, Wynn drove, the headlights a pair of steady beacons that guided them to Starfall Marina.

 

The briny tang of saltwater and cries of gulls welcomed them to the city’s harbor, a jeweled necklace of bobbing white yachts. The crew came for one in particular: The Wayfarer. Its sleek, aerodynamic design commanded attention among the myriad of boats while its smooth, glossy hull gleamed in the city’s glow.

 

As they boarded the polished deck of The Wayfarer, the sight of Cassidy’s grandfather, Edan, absorbed in inspecting the crew’s communication equipment, greeted them.

 

Edan stood sturdy and robust, his stomach round under his navy-blue polo. His cargo pants had seen better days, but like the man himself, they had weathered many a storm and were still standing.

 

“Ah,” Edan said, “there you three are! We will be ready in a manner of minutes. I am almost done inspecting everything.”

 

“Need a hand with anything?” Wynn asked.

 

Edan shook his head. “No need to concern yourself. I have everything well in hand.”

 

Cassidy spied a cerulean portable cooler from the corner of her eye. “Sir,” she said as she narrowed her eyes, “is all that alcohol truly necessary?”

 

“Can you imagine this being a proper fishing expedition without alcohol?”

 

Cassidy frowned. “Please, exercise caution and remember what the doctor said. Your health is important.”

 

“You worry too much, kiddo. A little nip here and there won’t hurt.”

 

With a final sigh, Cassidy let the matter rest and allowed Edan to complete his inspection. The Wayfarer’s engines thrummed within minutes, and they set sail into the calm sea.

 

The darkness of the night cast a deep, velvety shadow over the sea, transforming the surface into a vast, undulating canvas of silver and obsidian under the starlight. The Wayfarer drifted through the waters for half an hour before coming to a halt.

 

The crew passed another forty minutes beneath the glow of an LED deck light. Edan stood at the rail, poised with a fishing rod, his line thrown into the black water. Wynn practiced his martial arts forms, his motions as fluid as the sea. Cassidy and Rebecca huddled at the center table they had brought out, locked in a game of Blind Man’s Bluff. It wasn’t until the distant drone of an engine shattering the maritime serenity that their attentions united.

 

Silhouetted against the silver-spangled ocean, the shape of a speedboat came into focus, its prow parting the obsidian sea with purpose and urgency, its headlight piercing its way through the darkness. It slowed as it closed in on the yacht, revealing a figure dressed in a sleek, dark windbreaker with its hood drawn up and over a baseball cap.

 

“Late night for fishing, isn’t it?” Edan said as the boat drifted near the yacht’s deck.

 

“The best catches swim under the moon,” the driver said, “and they swim alone.”

 

Cassidy flashed a grin at the driver, who she knew as the contract criminal Crow. “I was beginning to worry that you would not make an appearance.”

 

“Sorry,” Crow said, “but I’m not letting you loose that easily. I'm here to stay until I get Ozon’s true name.”

 

Cassidy’s smile remained unflinching despite the mention of that person, despite her mind rewinding to that night two months ago when she learned Ozonnole’s true identity and made a deal that stopped her from exposing him.

 

“I’ll bear that in mind,” she said with an unwavering smile. “Now, since we’re all here at last, how about we get down to business?”

4