Chapter 7: The Unsettling Settlement
95 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PART 2: THE BILL OF HEALTH JOB -- Execution


While Marius sucked as a father, Wynn couldn’t deny he learned his fair share about survival from him. He showed him how to blend in without a trace. He showed him that being sneaky was more than staying quiet and hidden. And he taught him the importance of being ready for nearly anything with little notice.

 

So, though he hated to give Marius credit for anything, Wynn owed his readiness for Cassidy’s spontaneous missions to him. He might not have had a false panel with a “go bag” in the trunk without him. It allowed Wynn to exit Himitus for Sudurba within two hours. The actual flight took three more hours.

 

During the flight, Wynn considered contacting Lilah for information on Diego. He didn’t, however; he couldn’t put his faith in her for the moment. Not after everything with Sylvia…

 

Involving a kid was a step too far. Too much like Marius…

 

Luckily, social media was a goldmine for gathering intel, so her help wasn’t needed. After a quick search on Diego’s Nexodus account, Wynn learned about Sudurba Spar, the boxing gym he went to every day after work. Wynn could get there in a breeze – he had already contacted the Rapid Wheels rental company before leaving – and the time zone difference gave him an additional hour to work with.

 

It all came down to Diego’s presence once Wynn arrived.

 

The actual trip took around fifty minutes once Wynn disembarked. He changed into jeans and a T-shirt in the airport lounge, gave his reservation number to the Rapid Wheels desk in the terminal, and left for the gym after inspecting the car and signing the rental agreement.

 

Old met new in Sudurba Spar. Housed in a warehouse turned gym, its skeletal wooden beams and brick walls told a tale of renewed purpose. The aroma of sweat and rubber mingled with the pungent scent of well-worn leather. Some gymgoers thudded their fists against the punching bags that swung from the beams; others grunted as they lifted massive weights. Everybody was active in some manner or another.

 

Wynn blended in with the activity with a jump rope while assessing the entrance. Around twenty minutes passed before a small posse arrived. Ranging from a solid, towering presence to a lithe, agile figure, they moved and laughed with an easy camaraderie. Within them, Wynn recognized Diego’s rich bronze skin and square jaw.

 

About time he showed his face, Wynn thought as he set down the jump rope.

 

Even his casual, well-fitted clothes couldn’t disguise the muscular lines that defined Diego’s arms and chest. He stood marginally taller than Wynn’s six-foot mark and had short-cropped, dark hair.

 

“Hey,” Wynn said as he approached, “sorry to interrupt, but you wouldn’t happen to be Diego Castillo, would you?”

 

“Why, yes,” the man said, his voice a warm timbre, “that would be me. But why do you ask?”

 

“This might be better discussed out of earshot. Would you mind stepping aside for a moment?”

 

The bridge of Diego’s nose gave a little twitch, the ripples playing out in tandem with the calculations he was undoubtedly making in his head. “If you’re looking for somewhere quiet, the locker room’s not a bad idea. Follow me.”

 

Quick as a whip, the agile friend’s arms lunged forward, barring Diego from advancing. “Whoa, whoa, whoa,” he said, his melodic drawl thick. “You really gonna take a chance with this joker?”

 

Diego shrugged. “I don’t see the harm in listening to what he has to say.”

 

“I don’t know, man. Just sounds like a bad idea to me.”

 

A grin spread across Diego’s face, showing off teeth as striking and worn as old ivory. “Listen,” he said, his brown eyes trained on Wynn, “how about my pal comes with me and the others keep guard outside?”

 

Fantastic, Wynn thought. This was just what he needed. Nothing could possibly go wrong. “I suggest we keep this confidential. This is like talking to a doctor about a sensitive issue.”

 

The crinkles around Diego’s eyes flattened as his smile wilted. “Got it. My pals will keep an eye out to make sure we’re not disturbed.”

 

They stepped into the locker room, where a harsh glow glared down from the ceiling. Lockers, painted a flat blue and covered in various stages of wear and tear, stretched out in rows. Long, unyielding benches ran parallel to the lockers, their wood darkened and worn from countless hours of use. The concrete floor bore the scuff marks and stains of numerous athletes from over the years. Luckily, none of those gymgoers were in the room beyond Diego, who positioned himself in front of the door and crossed his brawny arms.

 

“Alright then,” Diego said, “start talking. Who are you, and what’s your game?”

 

“It’s not my name that should be worrying you. It’s the name of the person I’m here to represent.”

 

“Quit stalling and spit it out.”

 

“You ever heard of The Grandmaster of Theft? Cause if not, you’re in for a rude awakening.”

 

Diego’s broad shoulders became as rigid as the metal lockers surrounding them. “What the hell do they want with me? I got nothing of value!”

 

“Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about,” Wynn said, his voice steady and calm. His hands hung relaxed at his side, but his muscles were subtly tense, ready for any sudden moves. “Your reaction to the words ‘doctor’ and ‘sensitive’ were a dead giveaway.”

 

Diego narrowed his eyes and curled his thick hands into solid, dense fists. “I don’t know what you’re talking about…”

 

“I’m not looking to screw you over,” Wynn said as he subtly shifted his weight from foot to foot. “Listen, Landon Billings is about to be taken down, and you don’t want to be caught in the middle. If you’re smart, you’ll turn yourself in before—”

 

Diego lunged, triggering Wynn’s instincts.

 

Wynn’s right arm arched, deflecting Diego’s punch, and then, in one fluid motion, he thrust his left fist toward Diego’s midsection. A harsh thwack split the air as Wynn buried his knuckle into Diego’s upper abdomen.

 

With bulging eyes and a burst of breath, Diego’s body went limp. His knees buckled, but as he started to collapse, Wynn grasped his shirt.

 

“You really don't want to fight me," Wynn said while maneuvering Diego to a sitting position on the tiled floor. "Even if you somehow came out on top, it won’t change what’s coming.”

 

Diego breathed ragged gasps while clutching his stomach. Sweat trickled down his forehead; tears prickled in his eyes.

 

“Look,” Wynn said as he settled on the bench, “I know it’s not the best outcome, but it’s better than nothing. If you turn yourself in, they’ll be way more lenient on you.”

 

“T-They won’t just arrest me,” he forced out as he tried to stand. “They’ll confiscate the money… That money is for my wife and kids…”

 

A churn knotted in Wynn’s gut. He accepted a bribe that might’ve helped a corrupt cop, he reminded himself. Still, he couldn’t blame him for trying to do right by his kids. It was better than Marius ever did, anyway. “…How much did you take from Landon?”

 

“Why…do you wanna know…?”

 

“Give me a number, and I’ll make sure you don’t lose everything.”

 

The lines on Diego’s damp forehead deepened as he scrutinized Wynn. “Why would you do that?”

 

“If someone offers you a unicorn, don’t inspect the horn. Do you want me to cover it or not?”

 

“…Fifteen thousand crowns.”

 

“Turn yourself in by tomorrow, and I’ll make sure it gets to your kids.”

 

Diego’s face twisted into a stern frown. “Why should I trust you?”

 

“Doubt me if you must, but remember that I chose to come here. We could’ve just exposed Billings and moved on.”

 

The two remained seated as Diego recovered – Wynn figured it would lead to complications if he stepped outside first and they found Diego on the floor. During the wait, Wynn thought about how Cassidy might respond to his added touch.

 

Here’s hoping she understands why I did that. It was a moot point, though. The job was done, and it was his money, so his call.

 

Of course, getting the cash to them wouldn’t be a walk in the park. They’d have to set up a trust fund or something for them; he couldn’t let anyone trace it back to him. Eh, Cass can cover all that. She was the mastermind, not him.

 

It took a couple of minutes for Diego to regain his composure. Slowly, he rose to his feet and let go of his aching stomach. The look he gave Wynn was hard but not hostile. There was an understanding in his eyes, a reluctant acceptance of the reality Wynn had laid out for him.

 

He seemed a little shaky, but Diego managed a slight nod at Wynn before making his way towards the exit. Wynn watched as he left the room, the door closing behind him with a soft click. Then Wynn waited momentarily before standing up and following Diego’s path.

 

Once Wynn stepped out, he was just another face in the crowd, an outsider who’d come and would soon be gone. He moved through the space, the sounds of punches, grunts, and encouraging shouts a constant background noise.

 

Reaching his rental car, Wynn slid into the driver’s seat before retrieving his cellphone, which he had silenced and concealed before entering the gym. A new message from Cassidy flashed on the screen. He thumped it open.

 

I’ve got an assignment in Anniflex. Let’s rendezvous there. Crow and Rebecca will finish up for us. I’ve already sent them instructions.

 

A slow sigh slipped from his lips. It made sense – everybody else was occupied – but he still wasn’t sold on those two.

 

Although a gifted magician, Rebecca was still a fledgling in the criminal underworld. Worse, Cass and Rebecca were an item. As much as he wanted to be happy for them, dating within the crew was risky. Dating as a concept was dangerous – the life of a criminal wasn’t exactly conducive to lasting connections – but this particularly didn’t seem like a good call. Even if things never went south between them, he could see things going wrong in the field somehow.

 

As for Crow… where did he even start with that guy? Every second around him was a constant trial. A clash was bound to happen between them sooner or later.

 

I’m counting on you to handle this properly, Cass.

 

Because if she didn’t, he would. Even if it meant doing something she wouldn’t like.

 

He’d have to cross that bridge when he got to it. In the meantime, Cass needed him in Anniflex, so to Anniflex he’d go. With the twist of the key in the ignition, Wynn pulled out from the gym and into the twilight. It was a short drive to the airport, and he had another flight to catch.

2