Chapter 9: The Bill Comes Due
43 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amidst a jumble of parked cars, emergency vehicles, and swarms of people, the parking lot felt like an overcrowded marketplace. Security tried to impose order, shouting and gesturing, but their voices were just another layer of noise in the general disarray.

 

In stark contrast to the bedlam outside, the inside of a nearby sedan served as a quiet counterpoint. Two women sat in the front seats, one at the steering wheel, the other engrossed in a cellphone conversation, her disguised face glowing from the screen’s light.

 

“We’re all set,” Rebecca said as she read Alban’s text that told her how to access the system. “We just need to wait for this little sideshow to blow over, and it’s smooth sailing from here on.”

 

“A-are you certain that this will work?” Maria asked. “I don’t want to doubt you, but… Dr. Billings is a powerful man…”

 

Rebecca draped her warm palm on Maria’s, her touch as soft as velvet. “We won’t let you down. Trust us.”

 

“I-I know…” Maria dropped her head. “I’m sorry. I’m doing my best to have faith, but it’s hard for me to let go of my doubts.”

 

“It’s okay. We all have doubts sometimes. Want to try something to ease your mind?”

 

Maria’s chin lifted in a slow nod as if testing the buoyancy of hope.

 

“Okay,” Rebecca said. “First, close your eyes.”

 

Maria followed Rebecca’s instructions.

 

“Think of a time when you felt completely confident and in control,” Rebecca continued. “Maybe it was a presentation you nailed or a difficult problem you solved. Picture that moment in your mind and remember how capable and strong you felt. You can feel that same confidence now.”

 

“Okay… I got it…”

 

“Let's make this a habit. When you need to feel calm, clasp your hands and take a deep breath. It'll become second nature in no time.”

 

Maria interlaced her fingers before sucking in a deep breath. Her chest expanded, and she exhaled through her mouth.

 

“Feeling a little more centered now?” Rebecca asked.

 

She filled her lungs with another breath and released a second puff. “Thank you for helping. I feel better.”

 

Both out of habit and out of desire, Rebecca’s lips found their way into a smile that bordered between authentic and constructed. Her stomach, however, brewed a tempest.

 

This doesn’t feel right… she thought. She couldn’t solo things yet. And Maria? She shouldn’t have been in the same zip code as Billings, let alone his studio!

 

Cassidy’s revised plan was nothing short of mad! First, she had to make Maria and herself as unremarkable as wallflowers for an infiltration. Then she had to let Maria have the big moment exposing Billings – even though anybody could press the button! And once the dust settled, she had to set up a Maria-Alban meet-and-greet so Maria could give him a heartfelt thank-you.

 

Cassidy’s got a head for strategy, Rebecca reassured herself as she reflected on Cassidy's text from the previous day. If Cassidy thought this was the way to go, it was worth a try. Besides, Cassidy wouldn’t give her too big a job. She just needed to trust her and go with the flow.

 

The flow led them inside nearly an hour after the emergency services and police arrived, performed a risk assessment of the building, and gave an all-clear. As they stepped in, Rebecca couldn’t help but steal a glance at Maria.

 

Gone were the electric blue streaks, replaced by a medium-brown wig that cascaded to her shoulders. Her nose ring had vanished, and temporary, skin-toned covers concealed her tattoos. A floral blouse in muted pastels hugged her frame, and a knee-length skirt completed the unassuming ensemble. Even her feet were fitted into nondescript beige flats.

 

Wow, I really aced this disguise, she mused as she pushed her thick-framed glasses higher up the bridge of her nose.

 

Her disguise combined a black, short-cropped wig, makeup that made her button nose seem elongated, a loose-fitting blazer, and a blouse that disguised her curves. Like Maria, a knee-length skirt and flat shoes completed the ensemble. Nobody would ever look at her and recognize Rebecca Maddox.

 

They made their way into a spacious auditorium, found their seats with ease, and took in The Bill of Health set.

 

Plush armchairs with leather upholstery and oak accents were strategically placed on an elevated platform, designed to resemble a cozy living room setting. To one side, a sizable bookshelf, filled with hardcovers ranging from psychological studies to self-help tomes written by Dr. Billings, backed the host's chair — offering an aura of erudition.

 

The front of the stage, meanwhile, embraced the talk show ambiance.

 

A sleek, polished desk equipped with a touchscreen panel and a cup holder for the host's ubiquitous coffee mug was set at an angle, allowing Dr. Billings to shift effortlessly between roles: therapist and showman. Cameras on cranes hovered like curious birds, ready to swoop down for the close-up shot. A towering LED screen displayed the show's logo.

 

Tying it all together was a meticulously crafted carpet that covered the entire platform, with swirling patterns that added a touch of whimsy to the human drama that unfolded there.

 

A tingling surge radiated through Rebecca as she studied it all. She just had to wait a teeny bit longer! Then, once Billings arrived, one little tap and poof! No more show! No more exploitation!

 

Soon, the overhead stage lights shifted from a dim glow to a vibrant blaze of white and blue, illuminating the stage. Soft, instrumental music wafted through the air from hidden speakers as the backdrop screen flickered to life. It displayed the show’s logo – a calming blue “The Bill of Health” against a white background – before transitioning to serene images of people smiling, hugging, and overcoming struggles.

 

Two spotlights aimed at the stage entrance created a halo before Landon Billings strolled out, waving.

 

“Welcome everyone to A Bill of Health!” Landon boomed, voice amplified by the lapel microphone pinned to his suit.

 

The audience ignited into a frenzy of clapping and cheers, filling the space with an energy that only television could produce.

 

“Today’s show is going to be one for the books,” he continued. “We’ve got some incredible guests lined up, and we’re going to be tackling some tough topics that affect us all. But before we get started, let’s take a look at what’s coming up on the show.”

 

The room dipped into a cinematic haze as the studio lights dimmed, creating a backdrop for the finality that washed over Maria. Her thumb met the phone screen with a decisive press.

 

“Diego,” the recording blared through the studio, “you’re a smart man. You know that sometimes there are hard choices that must be made. The fact is, the man who died was not a good person. He was a danger to society and got what was coming to him. Officer Gibson shouldn’t be punished for doing the right thing.”

 

A stifling quiet enveloped the auditorium. The temperature seemed to drop a few degrees.

 

A triumphant smile unfurled across Rebecca’s lips as the lights snapped back on and spotlighted Dr. Billings in their harsh glow. He stood there, frozen like a deer caught in headlights, eyes widened, mouth agape.

 

“Th-that’s completely fabricated!” Billings’ voice cracked as he took giant, hurried steps away from the spotlight. “Someone is clearly trying to ruin me and my career! I demand to know who orchestrated this and why!”

 

He broke into a pace shy of a run while the audience’s collective murmur swelled into a crescendo of confusion.

 

This couldn’t be any more perfect! Rebecca mused as Billings scrambled offstage.

 

Just as abruptly as he had left, Billings reappeared. This time, however, his movements were hesitant. Each step backward was a slow, calculated motion – as if he were walking on a tightrope suspended over a sea of shattered dreams.

 

Simultaneously, police officers in green uniforms materialized from Billings’ chosen exit.

 

Oh my gosh, Rebecca thought as her mind pieced together what had happened. The fire alarm lured the police in and kept them lingering! A soft, stifled giggle bubbled up from her throat. It was like the universe wanted a big finale!

 

The officers’ faces were stern, eyes focused, and hands resting cautiously near their belts. They advanced with a professional yet unmistakable sense of urgency.

 

“This is a smear campaign against me!” Billings cried out. “I swear on my reputation that I had nothing to do with this!”

 

“We have to support our law enforcement,” Rebecca shouted, “and trust that they know what’s best!”

 

Billings whipped his head towards the sound of Rebecca’s voice. His eyes narrowed into slits, the sinews in his jaw tightened and twitched visibly, and his lips pursed into a thin, venomous line.

 

The crowd held its collective breath – as if expecting Billings to erupt like a volcano. But before he could utter a syllable, his attention was seized by the police officers at his side.

 

“You think you can do this to me?!” Billings spat. “I’ll make sure the whole world knows what you’ve done! You will regret this!”

 

The police gestured for him to step offstage, unaffected by his visible rage. Though their lips didn’t move, their demeanor spoke volumes: Landon Billings had nowhere to hide.

 

As the police officers placed a guiding hand on Billings' back, he threw one last glare over his shoulder. Then he was escorted off the stage, his footsteps drowned by the ripples of unease that swept through the crowd.

 

Whispers mutated into frenzied debates. Some in the audience reached for their phones, presumably to capture the scandal's tail-end or share the unfolding drama on social media. The low murmur was punctuated by expressions of shock, loud debates, and even a few sporadic claps from those not in Billings' camp.

 

Seizing the moment, Rebecca shared a quick, triumphant glance with Maria. Then, both rose from their seats and silently navigated through the disoriented crowd and out the exit doors.

 

“Everything’s gonna be peachy from here on,” Rebecca said as they slid back into the car. “We sent a tipoff to a journalist who saw everything. They’ll make sure this story gets out. Also, we’re gonna anonymously hand over the evidence to the police. Even if it’s not courtroom-ready, it’ll get them snooping for more, like money trails. Diego fessed up this morning, too, so putting together the pieces shouldn’t be too hard. The only thing he’s gonna be hosting is a pity party.”

 

“You all really thought of everything…” Maria seemed to expel all her pent-up stress with a faint, almost inaudible sigh. It was as if clouds parted inside her, allowing a brilliant smile to shine. “Thank you for spearheading this.”

 

A warmth surged through Rebecca’s veins, infusing every cell in her body with sunshine. It was as if her very soul had erupted in a radiant bloom. For a fleeting moment, she felt utterly, absolutely weightless.

 

“Oh, it was nothing, really!” she said, her voice tinged with a thrill she couldn’t entirely suppress. “We’re just happy to help—” She stilled. She couldn’t celebrate; the mission was still on! “Would you mind saying that again to someone else? In person?”

 

“Sure…?”

Please support if you're enjoying this. A simple heart means a lot.

2