Chapter 12: Under the Microscope
50 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warden Blanc placed the call to the coroner within seconds and requested his presence in his office. Then he poured himself a cup of tea, needing something to renew himself.

 

After a couple of minutes, a soft, measured knock graced the door. Blanc told the person on the other side to step inside and the door opened.

 

A slim figure, clad in a white lab coat emblazoned with “Dr. Q. Holloway,” stepped into the room. His obsidian black button-up shirt, deep purple tie, and matching trousers contrasted with the coat. Polished leather shoes echoed the darkness below, while above, raven-black locks formed a modern undercut, tousled just enough to shadow a pale forehead.

 

The sheen of black nail polish caught the light as he closed the door behind him. Furthermore, on the back of that same hand, a spider web tattoo sprawled.

 

“Dr. Holloway,” Blanc said, “I am pleased to introduce you to Edan Cain. Mister Cain, this is our coroner, Doctor Quentin Holloway.”

 

Edan offered a slight tilt of his head. “A pleasure to meet you, Dr. Holloway.”

 

Dr. Holloway’s mouth dropped open and his movement stilled as he locked eyes with Edan. “You’re Edan Cain?! The Edan Cain who cracked The Vanishing Violinist case? And The Midnight Masquerade Murders?! And—”

 

“Dr. Holloway,” Blanc said, his tone laced with sternness.

 

Dr. Holloway snapped to attention and his hands launched to his tie, which he made hasty readjustments to. “S-Sorry.”

 

Edan flashed a grin. The press had a penchant for dramatic naming. Still, recognition for one’s work was always heartening, even if the titles were rather flamboyant.

 

“In the interest of transparency,” Edan said, “The Vanishing Violinist was not solved by me alone. My granddaughter was a crucial contributor to the case.”

 

“Cassidy was involved even going back that far?!” Holloway blurted out. “Wow, you must be proud of her!”

 

Edan’s stomach dropped, like a rollercoaster’s abrupt dip. Could he still take pride in her, given her choices? She was still his spirited granddaughter, and her heart was still just, despite her rebellious streak…

 

“I don’t mean to dampen your spirits, Dr. Holloway,” Blanc said, “but there are pressing issues that must be dealt with. Can you recall why you diagnosed Samuel Wells’ death as a suicide?”

 

With wide eyes and a brief pause, Holloway took a pronounced gulp. “It, uh, looked like a typical hanging, sir.”

 

“The non-uniformity of the ligature marks appeared to be the norm to you?” Edan asked.

 

“I mean, I figured he maybe just messed up a bit, you know? It’s possible the victim, like, moved their head or something when putting on the noose, making it look uneven.”

 

“It’s doubtful that a bed sheet could produce such deep marks in a struggle. In addition, the angle of the marks suggests a different cause of death.”

 

“It is troubling that these crucial details were not observed, Dr. Holloway,” Blanc said.

 

Holloway’s gaze settled on his own shoes as his head dipped low. “I’m sorry. I haven’t been sleeping much and… I guess it’s messing with my head.”

 

“I understand that we all face challenges in our personal lives, but this is a serious matter. We have a potential murder that occurred within the walls of this prison, and it was overlooked because of your oversight. As a professional, it’s your responsibility to ensure that you’re fit to perform your duties. If you’re unable to do so, it’s crucial that you inform me or seek help.”

 

From his downcast position, Holloway gave a subtle nod. “I-I understand, sir.”

 

“Mister Cain,” Blanc said, “you have my gratitude for bringing this to our attention. We will ensure that this is corrected at once.”

 

“I am pleased to have been of service to you,” Edan said. “And I would be honored to continue aiding you in this investigation. If I may.”

 

“You are more than welcome to assist. However, this is a sensitive matter that must remain between the three of us. We cannot rule out the possibility that it was one of the guards, after all.”

 

As Blanc’s words settled, a subtle chill threaded its way down Edan’s spine. Dr. Holloway’s potential involvement had to be weighed first. His explanation, the lapse, was possible, but they had to determine his reliability regardless.

 

“Dr. Holloway,” Edan said, “did you strangle Samuel Wells?”

 

The very idea seemed to strike Dr. Holloway like a physical blow and contort his face with instinctive affront. “I didn’t strangle him! I didn’t even know him. Why would I possibly do such a thing?!”

 

“Mr. Cain,” Blanc said, his voice laced with confusion, “why would you ask that? Is there any reason to believe he’s responsible?”

 

Edan remained trained on Dr. Holloway. “Do you have any idea who might have committed the crime?”

 

Dr. Holloway hesitated, just a tad longer than natural. His eyes darted to the left and then right before meeting Edan’s gaze again.

 

“There are many individuals in the facility,” Dr. Holloway said, shaking his head. “It’s hard to say who might be motivated to do such a thing.”

 

Edan’s brow knotted with his frown. Dr. Holloway’s actions betrayed his own words. First, he negated his own words with a shake of his head. Moreover, the absence of “I” in his reply spoke volumes. A simple “I don’t know” would’ve lent him more credibility.

 

“You're aware of the cases I've cracked and the lengths I go to. You also know I wield a great deal of influence. If you come forward now and share what you know, I can advocate for you. Our justice system looks more favorably on those who cooperate willingly rather than those dragged into the light against their will.”

 

Holloway’s fingers brushed against each other and his posture became more closed off – his shoulders hunched forward just a bit.

 

“If I have to uncover the truth without your cooperation,” Edan said, “it will not bode well for you. This is your chance, Doctor. Do the right thing.”

 

“…Can you guarantee protection for me?”

 

A sharp clap reverberated through the room, jolting Edan to Blanc, whose hands pressed against his desk.

 

“You…” Blanc’s eyes simmered. “…You can’t be serious…”

 

“I give my word,” Edan said, his voice gentle. “I’ll do everything within my power to ensure your safety.”

 

Another heavy swallow maneuvered its way down Holloway’s throat, punctuating the tension in the room.

 

“…I might know who did it,” he said, “but… I’m not speaking until I’ve a plea deal from the police.”

 

Blanc yanked up the nearby phone. “I’ll contact the authorities at once—”

 

“A moment, Mr. Blanc,” Edan said. “If the police arrive and arrest Dr. Holloway, the culprit might be tipped off and flee. Furthermore, it’ll look better for him if he turns himself in.”

 

“And it’ll look worse for me. I’m sorry, but I cannot appear negligent. I cannot begin to imagine the amount of controversy I’ll face as is.”

 

Edan nodded, despite the hardness in his stomach. While it would complicate things going forward, he recognized its importance. He’d refrain from intervening.

 

“I’m sorry, Warden.” Holloway’s neck had lost its strength once more and his head had drooped forward. “I…I had no other choice…”

 

“Save it for the police,” Blanc said.

 

While Blanc contacted the authorities to take Dr. Holloway away, Edan messaged Cassidy.

 

Naomi’s intuition about Sam’s suicide proved correct. I cannot yet verify if Andrea played a part in the matter, but there is one strange detail that requires attention. A young lady named Mariposa Ramos was visiting Sam. Do you recognize her name?

 

A couple of minutes passed before Cassidy messaged. She’s Andrea’s training partner.

 

Curious, Edan thought. What, he wondered, drew Miss Ramos to Sam? Did her visits tie into the puzzle? Or did they chart a course of their own? Best to assume the latter. If Miss Ramos and Miss Belmont were indeed intertwined, the path would lead to them in due course. For now, the road forward was clear. They had to follow wherever Dr. Holloway directed them.

 

The police arrived with haste and took Dr. Holloway, who left without resistance. Edan wondered if there was anything he might be able to do to catch someone responding to the incident, but he knew it was unlikely. So, instead, he contacted the pilot to delay the trip back to Himitus, acquired a hotel room, and kept his eyes on the news.

 

The only relevant news reported that night was what had occurred at the Bill of Health taping. It wasn’t until Edan woke up the following morning that the next link in the case revealed itself.

 

From Protector to Predator: Authorities Pursue Prison Guard Hugo Stein on Suspicion of Murder.

2