Chapter 14: Mastermind at Play
39 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One thing Cassidy relished about modern living was how much technology streamlined. Thanks to it, she didn’t have to leave the hotel that morning.

 

LifeLens, the company Cain International was purchasing technology from, sent a digital copy of the contract for her to review via an encrypted email. Cassidy scanned through it, made certain the deal was as agreed, and then forwarded it to the company’s legal team.

 

Once that was completed, she retrieved her phone and called her mother.

 

“Morning, dear,” Scarlett said, her voice smooth yet firm. “Have there been any complications with the purchase?”

 

“Everything appears consistent with our discussion,” Cassidy said. “I’ve done my due diligence and handed it over to legal for their perspective.”

 

“Wonderful. Stay in Anniflex for the time being. I need you on the frontline if there’s anything amiss in the contract. Otherwise, the day is yours. Just keep things appropriate.”

 

Cassidy’s lips drew in. She had to seize the moment before she was saddled with another task. “Mother, if I may, I have a request.”

 

“What’s on your mind?”

 

“Do you recall Naomi Hiltz?”

 

A silence hummed over the line before Scarlett said, “Yes, the name rings a bell. Is something amiss?”

 

“To an extent. The one who perpetrated the act against her, Sam Wells, recently perished. It was initially presented as suicide, but Naomi had her doubts. I enlisted Grandpa to delve into the matter, and he uncovered foul play.”

 

“I see. You wish to join his investigation?”

 

“I can contribute in a manner Grandpa cannot. Naomi suspects Andrea Belmont of orchestrating this prison murder. I can unearth the truth while simultaneously benefiting the company.”

 

“Interesting,” Scarlett said with a hint of intrigue. “Please continue. I’d like to know what plan you have in store.”

 

Cassidy brought Scarlett up to speed about her undercover investigation, with the exception of Alban or her vigilantism. A momentary lull after Cassidy finished suggested that Scarlett was mulling things over.

 

“The plan has potential,” Scarlett said, “but I do have some reservations. How do you plan to defend yourself if Andrea attempts to harm you?”

 

“I’ll have the support of Rae and Wynn. Besides, doesn’t this task fall under Wynn’s jurisdiction?”

 

“While that’s technically true, I’d rather you remain safe.”

 

“Every worthwhile endeavor carries risk. And we wouldn’t be stepping into this unprepared or without consideration.”

 

Cassidy could almost picture her mother’s pensive expression as a quiet “hmm…” flowed through the line.

 

“How do you plan to secure a victory if the game goes ahead as planned?” Scarlet asked.

 

“All I need is the company’s support. From there, I can lay out a strategy that promises success.”

 

“You have so many talents, dear, but Tennis isn’t one of them.”

 

A familiar warmth crept over her face. Her mother’s observations were not entirely off… Still, her skills were sufficient. And the only reason she had honed what skill she had at all was for this moment.

 

“That’s a minor detail,” Cassidy said, “overshadowed by a grander mental duel. And duels of wit are my forte.”

 

A brief, warm chuckle slipped from Scarlett, barely audible but unmistakable in its sentiment. “I’d support you in a pure battle of the minds. But this confrontation won’t be pure intellect. Ignoring the physical, I haven’t forgotten your past with Andrea. Can you keep your emotions in check?”

 

“She won’t have any power over my thoughts.”

 

“What if something were to happen to Rebecca while undercover? Could you handle that with poise?”

 

A sharp sting pricked the back of Cassidy’s eye. She squeezed them shut before thinking, I won’t let any harm befall Becca. She could send Crow with her. If circumstances worsened, he could whisk her away.

 

Revealing Crow to her mother wasn’t an option, though. She’d have to devise a more suitable tale.

 

“I’ll organize a backup team equipped to monitor and assist promptly if the situation calls for it. Nevertheless, I doubt Rebecca will require aid. She’s quite capable.”

 

Scarlett's voice carried a deliberate “hmmm,” hinting at the gears turning in her head.

 

“You have my blessing to utilize company resources as you deem. But remember, Cassidy, caution is paramount. Do not take any actions that could jeopardize your well-being or reputation.”

 

“I shall not disappoint.”

 

After a final exchange of words, Scarlett ended the call. Silence took the place of words, prompting Cassidy to release a single, measured breath.

 

Task one, achieved. Now, she simply had to guide the remaining pieces.

 

With her gaze fixed on her phone screen, Cassidy went to work. Her fingers danced swiftly over the screen, tapping out a message to Rebecca.

 

Adjust your schedule for the next two weeks. And prepare a disguise. Andrea is in our sights.

 

YESSSSSS!!!! Rebecca replied.

 

Just to clarify, this is still an investigation.

 

For now. Let’s be real, she’s guilty.

 

An unseen hand seemed to clutch at Cassidy’s chest and squeeze.

 

Andrea did stand out as the primary suspect. The explanation that Andrea arranged it with her father’s help was pretty convincing… And she wouldn’t protest if Andrea were at the center of this web.

 

Nevertheless, making hasty conclusions wasn’t wise either. The Case of The Taken Text, for instance, would’ve been easier had she not been so quick to decide.

 

Perhaps I should share that case’s details with Becca?

 

Knowing Rebecca, it wouldn’t shift her perspective. It was wiser to prioritize everyone’s safety from detection. Thus, she had to direct her attention to Crow.

 

Cassidy willed her mouth into a curve, despite the brief tremor that ran through her.

 

Crow is the smart play here… Wynn ran the risk of being spotted, given Andrea’s familiarity with his face, while bringing in an unfamiliar element could jeopardize everything. She had to count on Crow…

 

Cassidy pinched the bridge of her nose before finding Crow in her contacts, tapping his name, and drafting a message.

 

Got a job for you. Do you have any preexisting covers that could explain you shadowing someone?

 

I’ve got a front as a detective, so I’m ready to roll whenever. What’s the score?

 

Cassidy texted a basic summarization, detailing the case, where the investigation was headed, and his role as Rebecca’s backup. Once she finished, Crow responded with a simple okay.

 

Stellar, she thought before returning to her contact list and skimming to Rae's name. She began to press the chat box open, but insight halted her thumb. I can hit two targets with a single arrow…

 

Grinning with purpose, Cassidy zoomed through her contacts to Wynn and tapped her message in a flash.

 

Please make your way to my room. There’s something I wish to go over with you.

 

Minutes post her text, Cassidy’s ears picked up Wynn’s knock. The peephole presented his form, sharp as always in a black suit. She wasted no time letting him into the room.

 

“So,” Wynn said after she explained everything so far, “I just got to keep my eyes peeled for anything fishy?”

 

“That, and you’ll bolster the efforts of whoever I decide needs you. And on that note, I have an immediate endeavor where your bolstering would be invaluable.”

 

“Let me guess, this task involves me using my fists.”

 

“Theoretically, no. However, I’m not exactly an expert on Rae’s inclinations, so…”

 

Wynn’s eyes bulged as his face lost its composure. “Whoa, wait a sec! What am I supposed to do with Rae?!”

 

“Relax. All you need to do is take Rae on a delightful outing. What follows is up to the two of you. Simply know that I trust you to act responsibly.”

 

Wynn’s gaze sharpened as his mouth formed a silent “o.” “Did I miss a memo or something? Why am I suddenly supposed to play the role of Rae’s date?”

 

“Well,” Cassidy said, her hand motioning towards her own heart, “I can’t be the one to play it. Rae isn’t attracted to women, and I already have—”

 

“Just ask her for help like a normal person!”

 

Cassidy heaved an audible sigh. “I gave Rae my word that I’d arrange a single date between the two of you.”

 

“Why?!”

 

“It spurred her into action on short notice. Regardless, she might resist another favor, so let’s integrate my previous deal into our present mission. A single pebble can create multiple ripples.”

 

With a groan, Wynn buried his face into both palms. “The deal is for a one-and-done, right?”

 

“Just one outing. Make a favorable impression and leave the rest in my hands.”

 

“Fine,” he said, his voice as reluctant as a morning riser facing a cold day.

2