Chapter 18: A Game of Strings
33 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PART 4: THE LOVE-LOVE JOB -- Investigation


For Cassidy, the following day unfolded like a production coordinator’s when setting up a crucial shot.

 

It began with updating Wynn about the previous night’s developments. His response was far from positive, but he dutifully agreed to inspect Rebecca’s apartment for any surveillance devices.

 

Next, Cassidy reached out to Rae. She explained how she needed Rae’s assistance as a Tennis partner for a discreet investigation before sweetening the request with the promise of quality time with Wynn. Rae’s response was an immediate yes.

 

After that, she updated Edan about her plans to meet Andrea and extended an invitation for him to join. He also agreed to her request, providing her with a strategic intermediary.

 

Lastly, she instructed her secretary to extend an invitation to Andrea, requesting her presence at Whispering Pines. Andrea’s affirmative response came the next morning. Armed with this confirmation, she donned her black suit, joined her recently returned grandfather, and together they set off to the country club.

 

The fresh scent of linen, accompanied a hint of lemon wood polish, greeted them upon entering Whispering Pines’ private dining room. Subtle light filtered through the sheer curtains, illuminating the polished silverware and crystal glassware that sparkled on the large mahogany table at the center of the room.

 

As they seated themselves in the plush, high-back chairs surrounding the table, Edan launched into an update on the latest interrogations at the prison. He relayed the collective astonishment among the staff over Hugo Stein's abrupt vanishing act and his supposed connections to The Trus. As for Sam’s circumstance, Edan noted a striking absence of conflict or notable interactions with anybody in the prison populace. The lack of clear evidence painted a picture of either widespread ignorance or a well-orchestrated cover-up.

 

Before he could provide his opinion on which option he leaned to, Andrea arrived alongside her father Edward.

 

Andrea glid in first, her frosty-blue, high-waisted midi skirt flowing with each step. A snowflake-white checkered blazer, in harmony with her form-fitting white blouse, accentuated her slender figure while a silver-chained diamond necklace completed her ensemble. Her platinum blonde hair, styled in waves with side-swept bangs, softened her elfin features, save for her icy glare.

 

Edward followed in Andrea’s wake, his every step measured and deliberate. His dark navy suit, tailored to his solid build, accentuated the weathered lines on his fair skin. Streaks of grey ran through his short blonde hair and trimmed mustache.

 

“Thank you for coming,” Edan said as he rose from the table and offered his hand.

 

Edward’s gold watch peeked out from under his cuffs as clasped and shook Edan’s hand. “Thank you ever so much for the invitation. It’s not every day you get to be part of an investigation of this nature.”

 

“As if I had a say,” Andrea said as she took a seat across from Cassidy. “Cassidy’s doggedness would make this inevitable.”

 

Better my doggedness than your dogness, Cassidy thought as she lifted her glass and sipped the chilled water.

 

“Besides,” Andrea continued, “you might just fit a job I have in mind.”

 

“What kind of job are you considering?” Edan asked.

 

“Some are under the impression I’m behind Naomi’s injury. They must be corrected.”

 

Although a silent tingle spread through her, Cassidy clamped down the urge to smirk. “Did you have a hand in the incident?”

 

“No,” Andrea said, her eyes flat with an unmistakable air of annoyance. “Even if I were the sort to do such a thing, why bother? She’s never bested me.”

 

“Perhaps,” Cassidy said, “but she was closing the gap.”

 

“Which is another reason why I wouldn’t do it. Her rise in skill made her a valuable adversary. Only diamonds can cut diamonds.”

 

Cassidy’s teeth grazed the inside of her cheek. Andrea’s words rang true to her nature. She thrived on challenges and had no patience for those who didn’t.

 

“Assistance is not out of the question,” Edan said. “But first, would you kindly answer a few questions?”

 

“Ask away,” Andrea said.

 

As Edan slid into the seat beside her, Cassidy sharpened her eyes, like a fox stalking through underbrush. Edward, following suit, sat beside Andrea, across from them.

 

“What was your impression of Samuel Wells as a person?” Edan asked.

 

The corners of Andrea’s eyes tensed ever so slightly. “Sam was a thoughtful guy. He was intelligent and reserved, yet passionate about the things he held dear. His intensity was hard to miss.”

 

“Did that intensity manifest in your relationship too?” Cassidy asked.

 

Andrea frowned. “Your question is vague. Clarify your point.”

 

“Was he devoted to you?”

 

“I was under the impression he was, which is why his accusations left me perplexed. That was not the Sam I knew.”

 

“In the weeks before the incident,” Edan said, “were there any noticeable changes in how he acted or felt?”

 

“There was nothing unusual,” Andrea said. “I was preparing for the tournament, and he was… lost in a game, I think.”

 

Cassidy pressed her lips into a tight seam. What drew Andrea to Sam? He hardly fit the mold of someone she’d typically associate with. “I’m curious, how did your paths even cross?”

 

“We met at our university. He simply came up to me and asked me out. I gave him a chance since I found his boldness commendable. Obviously, I misjudged.”

 

“Did you ever speak with him again after he made those accusations?” Edan asked.

 

“No.”

 

“Not even a confrontation?” Cassidy asked.

 

“He was unworthy of my time.”

 

Cassidy hoisted her glass to her lips. Andrea’s words seemed genuine, but were they? If her reputation were at stake, she’d demand answers directly from Sam. Unless, of course, she was guilty and needed to keep her distance. Mari’s role as an intermediary became quite clear if that were the case.

 

She placed the finished glass onto the table. “Is there anyone in your circle who remained in contact with Sam?”

 

“Of course not. He was only relevant to me.”

 

Cassidy’s eyes flickered close twice in rapid succession. Surely Andrea wasn’t under the delusion that they were clueless about Mari’s visits! Even if she believed they didn’t already possess that info, it’s a contradiction which they’d easily spot later.

 

Mari must have kept her visits under wraps. The mystery circles back to Mari’s role in all of this.

 

The truth swelled in her throat, but she swallowed it down. Unveiling the truth to Andrea would’ve been simple, but premature. For all she knew, Mari’s action was benign. She couldn’t afford hasty conclusions – especially when she needed to persuade her to accept Mari as her tennis partner.

 

“That intensity of his,” Edan said, “did it cause him to clash with others?”

 

“Direct conflict wasn’t his way,” Andrea said. “He was, however, the type to nurse a grudge. He tended to brood over things for far too long.”

 

“Can you share the kind of issues he held onto?”

 

“Political activism, for starters. He took strong stances on all kinds of things. Even joined The… I think he was called The Liberal Renaissance?” Andrea gave a dismissive shrug. “I usually ignored him when he started one of his tirades. Politics bores me.”

 

“You two seem to have had little in common,” Cassidy said. “Why were you together?”

 

“Perhaps it was our contrasting natures that intrigued him.”

 

Cassidy’s thumb played along the side of her lip as she cradled her chin. Her explanation was one-sided – his interest, not hers. “Is that what maintained your interest in him?”

 

“Not really. It simply never occurred to me to end things. Our relationship just seemed to work.”

 

Cassidy tilted her head into her cradled chin. “Can you say that you truly loved him?”

 

“He mattered to me,” Andrea said, her tone controlled and void of any hints of passion or depth.

 

“Just answer yes or no. Was there any love in—”

 

“Now, now,” Edward said, his voice gentle yet definitive, “let’s not badger my little girl. She’s given her answer. Let’s move along.”

 

Cassidy’s jaw clenched. Typical. Just as she was getting to the crux of it…

 

“Please pardon Cassidy,” Edan said. “She has a way of being thorough—”

 

“I know her style,” Andrea said. “What I’m struggling to understand is how this helps clear things up.”

 

Edan, with a diplomatic inflection, said, “Comprehending Samuel’s character helps us construct a coherent narrative. With the suspected perpetrator still at large, this knowledge may provide insight into his actions.”

 

As if brushed by ghostly fingers, prickles marched up Cassidy’s arms and crept up her neck. Her mind, once racing, stilled.

 

“Please,” Edward said, “do share how this deep dive into Sam’s personality will dispel the shadows over Andrea’s character.”

 

I must have picked up on something subtle, Cassidy reasoned as she gnawed on the inside of her mouth. But what?

 

“Mr. Belmont,” Edan said, “please bear with us. Our methodology has consistently led to resolving such complex matters.”

 

Cassidy gritted her teeth. That anomaly would have to be another item for future contemplation. For now, she needed to redirect the conversation to their advantage. “Andrea, can you share your feelings on Sam’s demise? The news must have had some impact on you.”

 

“Tragedies occur all the time,” Andrea said. “It’s sad that he’s gone, but that’s life.”

 

“In your opinion,” Cassidy said, keeping her voice composed, “do you think Sam’s actions warranted such a fatal consequence?”

 

“What exactly are you insinuating?”

 

“I’m simply posing a question, nothing more.”

 

“Alright,” Edward said, “I think it’s time to call it a—”

 

“Dad, stop!” Andrea boomed as her palms struck the table with such force that a crisp crack echoed through the room. “I can speak for myself.

 

Edward drew in a deep breath and composed himself. His fingers, previously tensed on the table’s edge, relaxed.

 

Andrea twisted her gaze back to Cassidy. “No one has the right to take life. I’m confident you’ll bring the murderer to justice.”

 

Cassidy gave a tentative nod while a whirlwind of notions and hypothesis whirled in her head.

 

Despite Andrea’s cool exterior, her responses felt genuine. And yet, something niggled at the back of her mind. Had there been a minor slip by Andrea? If not, focus had to be shifted to Edward – who had always been just on the edge of her vision.

 

Being in the corner of my eye the entire time would explain why I detected something without being consciously aware of it…

 

Cassidy rewound to that moment, to what her grandfather had said before the sensation struck.

 

“Comprehending Samuel’s character helps us construct a coherent narrative. With the suspected perpetrator still at large, this knowledge may provide insight into his actions.”

 

A knot tightened in the pit of Cassidy’s stomach, like a ball of yawn wound too tightly. She had a web of theories, but none stood out. Only with more evidence could she discern the truth.

 

“Before we conclude,” Edan said, “I must ask, were there any individuals who might have been adversarial towards Sam?”

 

“Of course,” Andrea said. “His friends would be a better source for that information, though. Such details never held my interest. It was all so petty.”

 

“Very well. I appreciate your cooperation. Thank you once more for—”

 

With a voice as straightforward as a bullet’s path, Cassidy asked, “Did Sam’s attack on Naomi concern you in the slightest?”

 

Coldness seeped into Andrea’s glare and her mouth twisted into a sneer.

 

“Do you think I appreciate paparazzi intruding into my life? Or that I enjoy the baseless gossip and rumors spread about me? I had to make my Nexodus account private just to avoid the relentless stream of hatred for something I DIDN’T DO!”

 

Andrea sealed her eyes and knitted her poise back together while Cassidy’s toes curled.

 

“His actions cost me a potentially exhilarating match and brought unnecessary chaos into my life. So yes, his attack concerned me.”

 

Cassidy willed her face into an impassive mask despite a gloat boiling within her. The taste of your own medicine isn’t quite as sweet, is it?

 

Andrea could lament all she liked; she wouldn’t find sympathy from her. It was only fair that she experienced the other side of once. Besides, she had no evolution in her character. Not once did she speak about the real casualty in the entire mess: the one who actually suffered the stabbing!

 

I’ve been brewing this scheme for far too long, Cassidy thought as her heartbeat hammered like a blacksmith at work. It was time to see it through.

 

“What if a Tennis match could wipe away all this unnecessary drama?”

 

Andrea’s brow arched. “Go on.”

 

“Let’s organize a charity event, a tennis doubles match. The proceeds would be dedicated to Naomi’s rehabilitation and eventual return to the court.”

 

Andrea’s brow furrowed. “Why a doubles match?”

 

“Our names have pull,” Cassidy said, her voice as smooth as a seasoned diplomat’s, “but imagine adding Rae Crawford and Mariposa Ramos to the mix. Rae’s an athlete with noble roots while Mariposa, your finals opponent and friend, can serve as a fantastic contrast to the three of us. Their additions would guarantee even greater attention.”

 

Andrea’s eyes, locked on Cassidy, betrayed a mind assessing and reassessing with every silent second. “Are we going to rely on ticket sales for the fundraising?”

 

“Ticket sales will contribute, but it shouldn't be our sole focus. Let's allow anyone to donate directly. Also, we should add a twist to the match: the losing team doubles the pot.”

 

Double the pot?!” Edward blurted. “Really?!”

 

“It’ll spice up the event.”

 

For a heartbeat, a spark of excitement danced in Andrea’s eyes. Then, with a composed voice, she said, “I’m in.”

 

“I’m sorry, sweetheart,” Edward said, “but I’m afraid I’m going to have to veto this idea! This risk, it’s just not sensible.”

 

“There is no risk,” Andrea said. “My victory is a certainty.”

 

Cassidy scoffed. “Seems like your father isn’t as confident in your skills as you are.”

 

“Let me make this perfectly clear,” Edward said, his voice firm. “I have no doubts whatsoever about Andrea’s capabilities. She is an exceptional athlete.”

 

“You say she’s exceptional, yet you balk at the stakes.” Cassidy pursed her lips as she stroked her chin. “Interesting.”

 

As Edward’s face bloomed into the hue of a ripe tomato, his nostrils flared, reminiscent of a steam engine about to blow. “I’ll give my blessing if we agree on a fixed upper limit on the donation from the losing side. Can’t have things getting out of hand.”

 

“Would capping the amount at a hundred thousand crowns work?” Cassidy asked, her lips crafted into a knowing smirk.

 

“We won’t be the ones paying,” Andrea said, “so why not? I’m more interested in when and where this will take place.”

 

“The ‘when’ is in two weeks. As for ‘where,’ give me a couple of days to figure it out. You’re welcome to join in—”

 

“Decide wherever you see fit. Do whatever you can to bring your A-game. When I win, I want it to be unquestionable.”

 

With everything they needed said spoken, Andrea rose from the table with a fluid grace, her posture radiating with an unshakable confidence that seemed to fill the room. Edward, on the other hand, stood abruptly, his movements stiff, a stark contrast to his daughter’s poise. His face was a canvas of frustration, with furrowed brows and tight lips. It remained as much as they departed, as Cassidy noticed when he cast occasional glances back to the table over his shoulder.

 

Cassidy maintained a mask of composure throughout it all. She was a queen surveying her court, relaxed yet commanding. Beneath the serene exterior, however, an energy thrummed and rippled through her being.

 

And the die is cast, she mused.

 

The play of ploys was now in motion.

2