Chapter 1: Finally old enough
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the Livingroom of a small apartment the news are running on a TV. "The new serum created by 'Genics and co.' has reached a million sales in just one month, despite the unbelievably high price of 50.000$ per dose. This companies sales really skyrocketed after successfully developing a serum to extend the lifespan of living beings. To the question of how they did it and what the contents of their serum are, the CEO of 'Genics and co.' answered and I quote: 'The serum has been in development for many many years and the best researchers from all over the world have been hired to work on this serum to the best of their abilities. I can reassure everyone who still has doubts that this serum has been thoroughly tested for years. As for the question of the serums contents, this isn't public information and will consequently stay private. But as previously stated there is no need to fear any of the serums contents. If a person would be allergic to any of the contents, our trained personal would inform said person and not inject the dose of the serum, so that no allergic reactions can occur'. This was it for the news of the day. Now for the weather". 

Sora turns off the TV and sighs "People really are idiots if they think they can buy more life. It's not even proven yet that this stuff works and all the rich people are already on this stuff like they found something that will solve all of their problems... if they even have any". To that Soras mom answers from the kitchen, sounding slightly annoyed "You tell me, grandma is all over this stuff as well and she doesn't even have the money to buy it". "Why would grandma want to have a longer life? I mean sure, she could spend more time with us then, but I still don't get it..." Sora answered to his mom in a slightly confused and somewhat sad tone. Then he shakes his head and heads over out of the Livingroom and to a set of stairs leading up. "You ready yet brother? You can't have us wait all day! Especially not on your 18th birthday!".
A door can be heard opening and Mino steps out, walking to the staircase and looking down at his brother "I... I'm sorry. I just can't decide on what I want to wear". Sora rolls his eyes and walks up, grabbing Minos hand and starts to head downstairs with him and into the Livingroom "You have your favorite clothes on, so now come and lets celebrate!". Hearing Sora say this with such an annoyed, yet jokingly voice made Mino give a soft giggle and come along to the Livingroom.

Once they entered the Livingroom, their mom had already prepared everything. A white cake with pink glaze on it and strawberries around it on the table. Balloons with glittering 18ths on them floating around the room and instrumental guitar music running in the background. It doesn't take long for their mom to hug Mino tightly and give him a kiss on the forehead "Happy birthday my baby!". Mino smiles happily and hugs his mom back gently "Thanks mom!". They both let go of each other and his mom motions to the cake "I made your favorite cake sweetie".
The moment Mino lays eyes on the cake, his eyes light up and he gives off an excited squeal. The next thing his brother and his mom notice is just a strong wind running towards the cake and afterwards an extremely happy Mino who has already started eating the cake, looking happier than ever. His brother and his mother both give off a happy chuckle and walk over to start eating as well.

After eating, only one piece of the cake was left on the plate. Sora stretches and gives a soft smile towards Mino "You know what's next, don't you brother?". Quick nods come from Mino and his eyes turn into stars as he almost yells excitedly "PRESENTS!". A small grin escapes Sora, but he quickly looks at their mother "Mom, why don't you start this time? I got something very special this year".
Their mother looks interested back at Sora and nods, pulling out a gift and reaches it out to Mino "If that's what you prefer. Here you go sweetie". The present being fairly heavy and big, Mino looks at it heavily curious. Before he starts to open it, his mother adds "Your dad and I have thought about this one for a long time and I am sure you will love it!". Mino looks even more interested and excited at the present now and starts to quickly open it, being careful not to damage the presents contents with his claws. Inside of the present there was a guitar. Mino hugs it tightly and slight tears start to well up in his eyes "M...mom, this must have been so expensive". His mom just shrugs and puts a finger on her mouth "Shhh".
Sora looks at the guitar impressed and smiles "Quite the gift you got there brother". Quick nods come from Mino, then Sora pulls out a paper and hands it to his brother "This one is my present". A confused look can be seen on Minos face as he takes the paper and starts to read what is written on it: 'Hello Sora, after meeting you and a couple of others we decided that you and your brother are the ones that would fit the best with us. You seem like a fairly chill guy and what you told us about your brother has convinced us. Most people that wanted the free rooms in our shared house were just too "special". So with this letter we welcome you two to live with us. We are excited to meet your brother and to live with the two of you. See you soon!'. Mino still looks at the paper confused and their mother, who has been reading the letter as well, now has the same confused expression on her face.
They both look at Sora and tilt their heads. On the other hand, Sora just grins happily "I found a place where we both can stay and live from now on brother! And not only that, the owners of that place will also allow us to stay there completely for free!". Minos head tilts even more to that "A shared house where we can live from now on and that completely for free?".
His expression turns into excitement and his eyes light up again "YAS! I WANNA GO NOW!". Their mother gives a happy, yet sad smile "To think that my babies will leave my nest so early. I'm so happy and proud of the two of you". Sora gives a soft chuckle and shrugs "We can't just sit on your and dads money forever. We know money is tight, so this will help the two of you and us. That's why I made the appointment to move immediately tomorrow".  Mino hugs the paper tightly and their mother starts to cry and sob a little "You two have grown up so quickly. I'm so happy". She hugs the two of them tightly and smiles widely while still sobbing. They both hug their mother happily and smile as well. 

Afterwards their mom wipes away her tears and starts to clean up, completely lost in thoughts. Mino gets up to bring his guitar to his room and Sora follows him. While walking up the stairs, Mino turns to look at Sora "I can't believe that we will live on our own so soon!". Sora chuckles and nods "Well, I have paid them a visit already. The house has enough space for all of us. We will be living with 2 more people. Both of them are very chill, so no need to be afraid". Just now realizing that he will live with two other people he doesn't know, Mino tenses up lightly and starts to get nervous "I... I have to prepare everything today! I don't want to look like a bum when we get there!". He hurries up to his room and locks the door. Sora chuckles and heads to his room to start packing as well, chucking and saying to himself "You can't hide from anyone when you are nervous about meeting people, idiot. Don't worry, I will be there as well".

While Sora was done packing after just an hour and then started to read a book, Mino took 2 more hours to get everything packed up. Afterwards he took the guitar into his hands and started to practice. 
Another hour passes and the sun starts to slowly set. Their mom comes upstairs and knocks on Soras door "Its already late and you two have a big day ahead tomorrow, you should sleep soon". Hearing the very obvious sadness in his moms voice, Sora smiles and responds slightly sad himself now "Yes mom. I love you". A tear rolls down his moms face as she heard those words and she walks towards Minos room.
Hearing him playing the guitar and singing with his soft voice, makes more tears start to run down her face and instead of telling Mino to go to sleep, she just stands in front of his door and listens for a while. She snaps out of her thoughts as the song Mino was singing stops and she slowly opens the door, smiling at Mino with tears running down her face. Quickly she notices that Mino is crying himself and she hurries over to give him a big hug. Both of them stay like this for a while until Mino starts to speak up with a sad voice "I l...love you mom". "Oh I love you too my baby!" His mom responds immediately, hugging him even tighter now. Mino slowly lets go of his mom and smiles widely while crying "I s...should sleep now. I g...got a b...big day ahead". His mom nods, sobbing slightly and lets go of Mino "S...sleep well sweetie". "You too m...mom" He responds. His mom slowly leaves the room and turns off the light while Mino lays down under his blanket and closes his eyes, smiling and sobbing a while until finally falling asleep. 

The next morning Mino wakes up early and slowly sits up, rubbing his eyes. He stretches and looks around the room, thinking for a little before realizing he will move to a new place today. He quickly jumps out of bed and runs into the bathroom as quick as a lightning, to get ready. Sora, who has woken up even earlier was already downstairs eating breakfast that he prepared himself as he hears the bathroom door close. 
30 minutes later Mino comes back out of the bathroom and walks downstairs and over to the table where Sora is already waiting "Made breakfast today". Usually their mom would prepare the breakfast, though due to being quite sure that his mom is still sad that her kids will leave today, Sora took it upon himself to make the breakfast today. Mino smiles and sits down to eat "Thanks brother!".
Only a little later their mom comes out of her room, seeming like not having slept much, and walks over to Sora and Mino "Sora made breakfast today mom!". "Oh, now that's new" she answered sleepily. Sora gives his mom a soft hug and smiles "I just thought you could use a little break at the moment". Their mom sits down to start eating and smiles "Thank you". 

Shortly before their mom finished eating, Sora and Mino went to their rooms to get their stuff and put both of their luggage near the front door. She then put her plate away before going over to the two of them "So I guess it's time then?". Both of them give their mother a slow nod and all of them start to hug one last time. Tears start to run down all of their faces and Sora speaks up first "Thank you for everything you did for us mom. We will stay in contact and won't be too far away. We will..." Soras sentence gets interrupted by the front door slamming open "DID I MAKE IT IN TIME?".
All of them turn towards the door and spot the brothers dad. Mino starts to cry loudly and rushes towards his father, hugging him tightly "I... I... I thought you were i...in a different country!". His father smiles happily and hugs Mino back tightly, chuckling "Oh, I was, then your mother called and told me about your plans to leave. I took the fastest way back home. Can't have my boys leave without a proper goodbye". Sora and his mom join in on the hug and Sora smiles happily up at his dad "We missed you!". "I missed you all too. I can't believe you really found a place that fast" Their dad pats Minos and Soras heads. Sora smiles proudly "I did try my best to find something as quick as possible".
An alarm goes off in Soras pocket and he pulls out his phone to shut it off "W...well, we gotta go now. Don't wanna be too late". They all let go of each other and their dad steps beside their mom, opening the path to the front door to the brothers. Their mom wipes away her tears and smiles "Be careful out there you two, okay? Remember that you can always call if you need anything and that this place will always be open for the two of you". Mino smiles and nods "Don't worry mom, I will make sure that Sora doesn't get into trouble!". His mom looks at Sora and mumbles "Yeah... that's what I am worried about...". Sora gives his mom a secret wink, fully understanding that she wants him to protect Mino. 

The brothers take their luggage and turn to leave the apartment and the building, turning one last time to wave goodbye to their parents and then start to head towards their new home. A deep sadness weighing on their hearts, yet the same amount of happiness and excitement lifting their hearts at the same time.

0