Chapter 5: Verdantwood Forest
428 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5: Verdantwood Forest

I stirred in the midst of the forest's embrace, lying on a simple cot inside a canvas tent. The campfire's dance cast shifting shadows on the walls. Where...? Blinking, I worked to understand my surroundings. A quiet campsite, bordered by the rustling of leaves.

Beside me, Akari was absorbed in her task of changing the cloth on my forehead. The fabric's coolness provided brief relief. How did this happen? Summoning my strength, I carefully sat up, my head protesting the movement. Ignoring the ache, I rose. Akari remained focused, allowing me a moment to steady myself.

I want her to know how thankful I am.

Slowly, I rose to my feet, inhaling deeply to regain my composure. Then, I took a deliberate step towards Akari. Her gaze met mine, widening in astonishment. Swiftly, before she could react, I embraced her gently, conveying my gratitude and friendship without words.

While Akari and I shared that heartfelt moment, a sudden sound disrupted the tranquility. Clapping, rhythmic and cheerful, resonated from behind us. Turning my attention, I spotted a figure emerging gracefully from the shadows. It was a girl with upturned ears, an elf? I take a closer look at her features for a brief moment. Her hair, a cascade of sunlit gold, framed her face in gentle waves that seemed to mirror the forest's sunlight. Her features held a playful charm, and her smile was infectious, lighting up her entire countenance.

As our gazes met, I noticed her eyes—a vibrant shade of green that seemed to reflect the very essence of the forest itself. They held an undeniable connection to the world around us, and for a moment, it was as if the woods' secrets were shared within those eyes.

"Well, well, what a touching sight," the girl's voice rang out, carrying a tone of amusement and light-heartedness. Her voice held the lightness of a summer breeze and the infectious joy of laughter, instantly soothing and uplifting. Her hair, a cascade of sunlit gold, framed her face in gentle waves that seemed to mirror the forest's sunlight. Her features held a playful charm, and her smile was infectious, lighting up her entire countenance.

Closing the gap, mischief danced in her eyes. "Hey there! I'm Elara, I’m from Axol Village in the Verdantwood Forest!" Her words held a touch of pride as she puffed her chest. "We've been out here for four nights, deep inside the forest, well past the human border. We should be arriving in the village in one more night.”

A knowing smile followed. "My brother's been working on a magical seal to keep us off the radar of the magical critters of the woods." Her gaze flicked toward the forest's depths scanning for her brother briefly.

Looking back at me, Elara's expression softened. "And you? Feeling any better now?" Her concern was genuine, her voice a gentle presence amidst the vibrant surroundings.

I nodded appreciatively and returned her warm smile. "Nice to meet you, Elara. I'm Yuki." 

I took a brief moment after introducing myself to assess myself before responding to her. "Actually, yeah, I'm feeling a lot better now. This isn't the first time I've blacked out, so I guess I'm getting used to it," I added with a small chuckle. Elara's smile matched my own as we exchanged introductions. She moved towards the campfire, where a pot exuded a delicate, savory fragrance. With sure movements, she selected a wooden bowl and started ladling the clear broth into it.

"Soup's ready," she chimed in a cheerful tone, her eyes reflecting the dance of the firelight. The aroma that enveloped us held the promise of a light and comforting delight, reminiscent of a soothing dashi soup. 

I accepted the bowl from Elara with gratitude, the warmth of the wooden vessel a comforting contrast against my hands. Akari also accepted a bowl sheepishly and began lightly sipping from her spoon. Seeing Akari enjoy her soup I begin to dig in. The aroma of the soup grew stronger as I brought it closer, and I took a sip. Mmm, this is incredible. The flavors danced on my taste buds, a delicate symphony of umami and subtle herbs that seemed to infuse the forest's essence.

A contented sigh escaped me as I continued to sip, the nourishing broth filling me with a newfound energy. And to think, this is the first proper meal I've had in what feels like forever. My eyes met Elara's, gratitude and appreciation shining in my gaze, even as I savored every spoonful of the nourishing soup.

Elara's gaze lingered on me for a moment, a spark of curiosity in her eyes. "By the way, what are you?" she asked, her tone casual but inquisitive. "Are you a human?"

I set down the now-empty bowl, meeting Elara's gaze. "Well," I began, a hint of uncertainty in my voice, "I believe I'm human." But am I really? A small voice echoed the question, making me wonder what I am myself. My status page says I’m a homunculus, a creature made into existence. I certainly don’t look like an elf at least.

Elara's eyes gleamed with curiosity, and she unleashed a barrage of rapid-fire questions before I could respond. "Hey, have you ever thought about whether you might be more than just human? Maybe you're some kind of enchanted creature with unique abilities. Or perhaps you're linked to a mystical realm. And who knows, there are tales of shape-shifters and spirit beings, too. What if you're one of them? Ohh what if you—” Her questions flowed in a cascade of creative theories, making my head hurt again.

[Skill Leveled Up! Mind’s Fortress LV. 1 → Mind’s Fortress Lv. 2]

As if responding to Elara’s barrage of questions, the lingering headache began to fade, leaving me feeling oddly refreshed. Just as Elara was about to unleash another stream of questions, a new presence emerged from the forest's shadow.

"Elara, you are bothering our guests," a calm and measured voice interjected.

Elara turned toward the voice, her enthusiasm undeterred. "Oh, come on, Aelar! I'm just trying to get to know them better," she protested, her tone unapologetic.

Stepping fully into view was Aelar, an elf who emanated an aura of stoic grace. His presence seemed to command attention without the need for words. Tall and lean, he moved with the fluidity of a well-practiced dance, his every gesture deliberate and precise. His features were youthful and clear, but his eyes held a quiet depth that hinted at a wealth of unspoken thoughts.

Now this is an elf. I thought to myself.

Unaware of the whirlwind that was Elara's questioning, Akari let out a soft sigh of contentment as she finished her soup. Her eyes looked up and met mine, and then she slowly rose to her feet, her movements carrying a quiet, sleepy demeanor. With a gentle smile, she wrapped me in a warm hug.

Oh. My. Goodness. As Akari settled into a peaceful slumber against my leg, a sense of warmth and protectiveness washed over me. I allowed myself a soft chuckle at her adorable sleeping form, gently patting her head. I wish I had a sister like this in my previous world. I cast a [Heal] and Akari's expression improves as she falls into a deeper sleep.

Aelar starts tidying up, gathering the used dishes and the empty pot as Elara wanders away to do her own tent after being shut down by her brother. He somehow manages to fit everything into a bag that seems way too small for its contents. His gaze met mine briefly, his expression conveying a mixture of acknowledgment and welcome. "I apologize for my sister's over-enthusiasm," he said, his voice carrying a serene resonance. "It's not every day we encounter someone new in the Verdantwood."

I nodded, grateful for his understanding. "No need to apologize. Meeting both of you is a pleasure," I responded warmly. I noticed his bag was similar to my ability and asked, "Is that the skill [Spatial Inventory]?"

Aelar chuckled at my question before replying, "No, it's actually a high-tier enchantment called [Dimensional Bag]. Despite this bag's rarity, [Spatial Inventory] is a more potent and rare ability. A [Dimensional Bag] merely compresses items into smaller forms, while [Spatial Inventory] lets you manipulate space itself to store an unknown quantity of objects." He paused for a moment, his expression turning puzzled. "Wait, do you happen to know someone with that skill?"

I froze for a moment, the question triggering a brief lapse in my thoughts. Hastily, I responded, "My memories are a mess right now. I think those men tampered with my sister and me back at the lab, so my memory is everywhere."

Aelar's expression softened, his eyes reflecting compassion. "I'm sorry for bringing up distressing memories," he said, his voice carrying a genuine tone of empathy. "Those experiences must have been difficult."

His brows furrowed, a mix of sympathy and anger crossing his features. "The actions of the Alviran church are unforgivable," he continued, his voice tinged with a hint of bitterness. "They have misunderstood the gifts given to them and have turned to some form of dark sorcery."

He paused, his gaze distant for a moment. "Ever since The Empire united the human kingdoms it’s been nonstop changes," Aelar added, his voice a blend of concern and uncertainty. "Their actions have created an imbalance and I fear the worst."

Aelar's tone then shifted, carrying a softer note. "You've been through a lot, but we aren’t safe just yet. You should get some rest," he suggested gently. "Axol Village has a mist barrier and should keep you safe from the pursuits of the humans, we’ll have lots to explain to the Elders once we arrive."

With those words, Aelar headed toward his tent. I observed his heavy silhouette vanishing inside, a testament to the weariness of the past days' journey. It struck me that, beneath their unassuming exteriors, they had shouldered not only their own gear but also carried my weight. I blushed in slight embarrassment, realizing that for a full four days, I had been hauled along like a bag of meat.

Shaking off the self-consciousness, I slid under the comforting blankets. Gently repositioning Akari beside me, I wrapped my arms around her and settled in. The soft melody of her snores blended with the rustling leaves, and soon, a peaceful slumber claimed me too, a sense of security and camaraderie lulling me into the embrace of the night.

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey, wake up, Yuki!” A voice cut through the haze of sleep, and I jolted awake to find Elara's face mere inches from mine. Startled, I let out a surprised yelp, my heart racing at the sudden awakening. The sudden yelp of surprise caught Elara off guard. Instinctively, she stumbled back a step, her surprise causing her to lose her balance momentarily and land on her behind.

A brief moment of silence lapses as you hear Akari slightly shifting her position and mumbling, “Five more minutes.”

Elara and I exchanged a quick glance before breaking into fits of laughter, our shared surprise fueling the amusement. Amidst our laughter, it all hit me— waking up in a new world, constant pain, and now safety. In a rush, all my emotions converged, forming a powerful wave. As the laughter continued, it shifted, melding into a mixture of chuckles and tears. The release of pent-up emotions felt almost cathartic, like a weight lifting off my shoulders. There was an intensity to the moment as the laughter mingled with my tears, revealing the depth of my feelings. And then, I noticed that Elara, too, was crying and laughing. Her laughter mirrored mine, her tears and chuckles working together to express her emotions. After a few minutes of cry-laughing, Elara turned her gaze toward me and posed a heartfelt question, her voice sincere. "Could we be friends?"

"I would love to be friends," I respond with a big grin.

“Me too…” Akari groggily says as she finally gets up rubbing her eyes. “I want to eat too…”

Laughter echoed between Elara and me, drawing a puzzled look from Akari. Soon, we emerged from the tent, greeted by the sight of Aelar folding up his tent and Elara's. He raised an eyebrow as he noticed us, his expression curious. "Time to wrap things up and head toward Axol," he remarked, his voice carrying a hint of purpose. We swiftly joined in, helping with the packing as we prepared to journey toward the elven village of Axol.

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note: Thank you so much for reading so far, the comments and messages have been great feedback! This is a bit shameless but if you've enjoyed it so far please consider helping me by favoriting your favorite chapter and adding it to your reading list! I'm working on getting some more art and maps drawn so look forward to those. I'm also setting up a Discord server for everything! Thank you for the help and as always let me know if there are any issues with the novel.

P.S. the cat is okay.

From your favorite pocky flavor, 
AlmondCrushPocky

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Yuki 

Class: Divine Homunculus 

Race: Homunculus, Race Trait: Eternal Youth, Mana Absorption

Level:

Experience: 11 / 100 (+1/day)

HP: 65/ 100 

Mana: 120 / 400 (+200)

 

Abilities:

[Arcane Link (LV. Max)]  •  [Mana Mastery (LV. MAX)]  •  [Spatial Inventory (LV. 1)]  •  [Heal (LV. 2)]  •  [Mind’s Fortress [LV. 2 ] (+1)  •  [Appraisal (LV. 1]

 

Equipment:

  • Rag Cloth
  • Iron Bracelet (Enslavement seal)

Inventory:

  • Rock x49 

Titles:

  • Goddess’s Last Hope: The goddess’s last hope for the balance of the world.
  • Reincarnated Otherworld Scholar: Otherworldly knowledge can be accessed whenever.
  • Goddess's Favor: Infused with the goddess's essence, giving an immensely increased mana capacity.

Party:

  • Akari
  • Elara 
  • Aelar 

20