Chapter 4
647 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the Inn, Ronald was guided to his room by a young servant boy. In there, he seated on the edge of the bed with Woof laying on the floor next to him. Riattus was near the window, looking out.

 

- “Well, we are on the first floor with a view to the back street. It seems to be a good room with a quiet and safe location. There’s a rooftop under this window, so, if necessary, this window can become an emergency exit. You managed very well, that interrogation from Mira. Fortunately for us, we practice a lot your cover story. But why every time that you talk about your fake family you get so sad?”

 

Ronald shrugged his shoulders.

 

- “Yeah… A family is something that I never had. My two childhood friends were the closest that I had for a family. And every time I remember the way that woman tied to the pole was screaming, I get sad, thinking about her own family.”

 

- “You know, her family was already dead when we arrived at that Goblin Village. I saw the bodies of four children on that pile. Maybe one of the men that were also on that pile, was her husband. There was nothing that we could do differently, we arrived there too late.”

 

- “I know… Well, I need to sleep. What about you?”

 

Riattus pointed to the left wall where the Guild’s building was located.

 

- “I will have a look in there and in the City to see if you can be safe tonight. After that crazy stunt of you against those three Adventurers and then to that Ma Yangfa, someone could try to surprise you, late this evening. Or maybe not. Better safe than sorry, right? “

 

Ronald frowned.

 

- “What did you want for me to do? They were threatening Mira.”

 

- “You could just stay put. That Ma Yangfa guy was getting near, he would stop them. You blew his chance of impressing his love interest. But you managed to shake them both afterwards with that friendly talk. Maybe they evolve those awkward looks that they were giving each other after you talked with Mira. But you need to learn to keep a low profile, you can’t attract too much attention upon you, you are still very weak.”

 

Ronald was taking off his clothes, and he was already in bed while Riattus was speaking.

 

- “Go away, you talkative old man! I need to sleep!”

 

Riattus smiled and vanished, leaving them alone. Ronald blew on the candle and covered himself.

---

 

In the morning, Ronald came down and the same servant boy guided him to the dining room, for breakfast. In there, Feebles, the Merchant, was eating some breed and tea with a young boy and a young girl. When he saw Ronald, he called for him, inviting him to join them:

 

- “Mister Ronald, how did things turn out in the Guild? Did you find a job?”

 

Ronald smiled while giving bread to Woof.

 

- “Yes, I did, in Miss Duza’s Party. They have four members, five with me. I am the Carrier and the Cook. When they have a job, I will go with them. In the meantime, I have money from the selling of the leaves and I also sold some portions of deer meat. There was a Quest for those, so, I got paid.”

 

Noticing the questioning look that Ronald was making to the young couple, Feebles introduced them:

 

- “Where are my manners… Mister Ronald, let me introduce you Mister Taly and his fiancée, Miss Ari. They are travelling around this area, to know more about the World before getting married in a few months. They were escorted here by those three Adventurers that made that mess in the Guild, yesterday.”

 

Ronald opened wide his mouth but before he could say anything, the boy talked:

 

- “It seems we have to thank you, for the loss of our escorts. They are in no condition to accompany us any longer. One broken nose and two red eyes, one broken jaw and front teeth, and the last one, broken head and a hand completely destroyed. I guess it was good what happened, it turned out that they were weaker than their Guild said because they were easily defeated by a simple Farmer armed with a wooden bench. And Mister Feebles told us what happened, with them threatening the receptionist of the Adventurer's Guild. So, considering that tomorrow we wish to continue our travel to get to Argoheria and you have a Party, we wish to hire you and your partners as our escorts.”

 

Ronald stopped to think for a while.

 

- “You two want to cross Zakrosia? You know that place is filled with Monsters and that could make you two get killed? Along with anyone that could be with you?”

 

Taly nodded.

 

- “We could also go by boat, we have no problems with either way. By land would be more expensive, but I have a huge sum of money, already prepared for this journey of us.”

 

- “But why make such a dangerous voyage? What do you wish to accomplish by doing that?”

 

The girl, Ari, spoke with a smile while pulling Taly’s arm to let her explain:

 

- “Let’s just say that we have our reasons for wanting to know the World a little better. We can also say that we are from the Nobility, and the state of the World concerns our future. And considering the huge amount that we are willing to offer for a safe journey, I think this kind of answer will suffice. We may be young, but we are not stupid. One-third of the money now and the rest in Argoheria.”

 

Ronald frowned.

 

- “Why not half now and half by the end?”

 

Ari smiled.

 

- “Because that would be a fortune. And more tempting to kill two stupid youngsters. Five gold coins now and twenty when we arrive there. It will be five gold coins for each member of your Party when we get to our destination, as long as none of you dies, of course. And if you guys do a good job, we may want to hire you again, for the way back.”

 

Ronald made a frown and looked at Feebles.

 

- “Is that fair? I don’t have any idea how much would cost an escort job like that.”

 

- “Mister Ronald, the normal is ten gold coins, for that length of a journey. But considering the dangers along the way, I guess it’s reasonable.”

 

Ronald stopped to think for a while.

 

- “I must speak about that proposal to my leader, Miss Duza. It depends on her, I am just the Carrier. But she could be more tempted to accept if it were thirty gold coins in the end.”

 

The boy smiled after looking at Ari.

 

- “I think twenty-five gold coins is a lot more than anyone would be willing to pay. Considering that we need to come back and we will need an escort again, there is the possibility to gain the same amount on the way back. But if that wolf accompanies us and if you make some very good meals, we can put in an extra.”

 

- “Ok… Well, I am going to meet my Party leader in a few moments, to have a walk in the City. I can ask her about that. Can I give an answer by the middle of this afternoon? I guess it will be time enough to get things ready for our departure tomorrow after lunch, considering that we have to find a carriage for you, supplies and extra weaponry. But even that, it will be Miss Duza to decide, of course. But I think I can warn you, if too many of our companions die or if it becomes too dangerous to complete our journey, we will come back or find a safe place to go instead.”

 

Ari nodded with a serious look.

 

- “We have our own carriage, so that part is ready. If we get in a dangerous situation and you need extra fighters, we can help. We may look like any average sixteen-year-old couple, but in a fight, we are extremely dangerous. We started this journey early this year, from the North, and until last month we were all alone. But because I got tired of all the fighting and the killing, we tried to find some escorts that knew this region to avoid more confrontations. Taly is different, this crazy guy loves to fight. For him, we could continue all year, all alone, in a never-ending fight… Why that face? You know I am right!”

 

Taly was frowning.

 

- “It’s not that I love to fight, it's just that I don’t mind doing it… So, Mister Ronald, we wait for your answer. If favourable, we would like to meet the rest of the members of your Party.”

 

Ronald nodded while getting up.

 

- “Of course. If you excuse me, I must leave. I don’t want to make Miss Duza wait for me. Mister Taly, Miss Ari, it was a pleasure. Mister Feebles, we can talk more at night?”

 

- “Of course, Mister Ronald. I will take care of some trading and at night I can go meet you at the Guild.”

 

- “That would be perfect.”

 

Ronald left after a slight bow with his head. When he was leaving the Inn followed by Woof, Ari asked Taly:

 

- “What do you think? He looks promising, right?”

 

- “Yeah… As for the members of his Party, I am not so sure. Let’s see about them later on, ok? Mister Feebles, do you know that woman that is called Duza?”

 

- “Yes, Duza Sonanji, the Guild Master’s older daughter. The best fighter of this entire region. Not even the Breidan’s High Knights mess with her. It’s normal for her Party to cross Breidan from one border to the other, without getting in any kind of problem. Normally, when the Breidan Knights are warned that she is travelling, they change their path, to not get in her way. And her Party members are almost as dangerous as her. If she accepts your proposal, you two will be in good hands.”

 

Taly mumbled in a low voice while thinking:

 

- “Interesting… very interesting…”

---

 

While Ronald was at the Inn talking with Feebles and the young couple, Duza was in her room at the top floor of the Adventurer's Guild, in her underwear, and nervously looking to a bunch of clothes on top of her bed. Mira was looking at an outfit of a sleeveless short blouse and cotton combat trousers.

 

- “You could go with this set, but I am not sure… Maybe something prettier…”

 

- “It seems too revealing to me. I don’t know why you are insisting on this so much, I am just going to show the City to Ronald.”

 

- “I think he wouldn’t mind if you appeared before him completely naked, but that wouldn’t be good, for a walk around the City. Hihihi!”

 

- “Mira, you mean girl! What do you mean by that?”

 

- “Come on, sister, you haven’t noticed the way that he looks at you? Or how you smile when you are speaking with him? I can tell that you are interested…”

 

Duza strongly shook her head.

 

- “No, I am not! You are crazy!”

 

Mira made a weird smile.

 

- “Right… I confess, I am the one that is interested in him. Maybe I should be the one to show him the City…”

 

- “No! You can’t! I… I mean… I already volunteered… and… you see… he…”

 

- “Ahahahah! Don’t worry, big sister, I was just messing with you. You know that I only have eyes for Ma Yangfa. But this outfit is no good. You need to look pretty, not offering yourself… I know! I will be right back! Put those clothes in their place, it’s a mess in here!”

 

Mira rushed out of the room, leaving behind a questioning Duza. She quickly put all the clothes in the drawers and the closet. When she was almost finishing tidying up, Mira entered the room again, holding a long light green dress.

 

- “I bought this for you, for your birthday next month. But this occasion is too good to let it go to waste. Because I know how you are, it comes with two undercover leg sheath for two daggers and two decorative strings at each side of the dress, so, if needed, you can pull the dress a little up and tie the excess fabric on both sides, so that you can move better if you get into a fight. Quickly, try it! Or you are going to be late!”

 

Duza nodded and with her sister's help, she put the two undercover leg sheaths for two daggers and the dress. Mira was smiling while Duza was looking at the mirror. She tried to pull it up a little, it was revealing too much of her cleavage, but Mira slapped her hand to stop her.

 

- “What are you doing? A beautiful woman like you and the attributes that you own, it would be a shame not to show it a little more! Pull your breasts a little up, they are sideways! Here, let me do it!”

 

Mira grabbed Duza’s both breasts and pulled them up a little and squashed them from the sides so that they would fit perfectly on the dress.

 

- “There, now they look just perfect! I need to get down to see if he arrived, release your hair, and brush it. You are going for a walk, you don’t need to have it tied up and ready for a fight!”

 

Duza did as her sister said, and she started to brush when Mira was leaving the room.

 

- “Mira… thanks for this dress, it’s really pretty.”

 

- “Yeah, I know, I hope Ronald thinks the same. Don’t take too long!”

---

 

When Ronald crossed the front doors of the Guild, he went straight to the front desk where Mira was waving at him.

 

- “Good morning, Miss Mira. Did I arrive too soon?”

 

- “Good morning! No, it’s a good time. Duza is still getting ready in her room, she was having trouble choosing her clothes. Normally, she doesn’t go on a walk around the City, she was a little worried about what to wear. But you can sit while you wait and drink something. And this guy over here can stay right here, next to me.”

 

Ronald gave the rope to Mira and looking at Woof, he pointed towards her.

 

- “Woof, protect Miss Mira, ok? Be a good boy and stay here next to her. I will come to get you, later this day.”

 

Woof!

 

He seated on the floor at Mira’s right side, with his tail waving. Mira caressed his left ear.

 

- “Good boy, Woof! This is funny, a wild wolf acting as my bodyguard! I want to see any of these crazy bastards annoying me today!”

 

Ronald smiled and a shout from a corner called his attention:

 

- “Mister Ronald, come here for a moment!”

 

Reylom was waving at him, seated next to Ini and Ovaidel. Ronald approached them with a smile.

 

- “Good morning, everyone.”

 

Ini made a small nod.

 

- “Someone is in a good mood… It has something to do about going for a walk with a beautiful woman?”

 

Ronald stuttered:

 

- “Well… that too… Miss Duza is an extremely beautiful woman… I guess any man would be happy about walking next to her… But finding a job on my first day in here and on the second, a well-paid escort journey, can also be the reason.”

 

Ini smiled, looking to the place behind Ronald, to a blushing Duza.

 

- “Hello, boss. Nice dress you have there. I wonder why you never use something like that when you travel with us. Maybe we aren’t as good looking as we thought, right Ovaidel? Hey, close your mouth, man, you look weird! You never saw a woman or what?”

 

When Ronald turned around, he saw Duza with her hair loose in a long light green dress, short sleeves and a sexy cleavage. Ronald blinked his eyes a few times, to get used to the astonishing sight in front of him. Duza took a slow breath and asked while sitting in front of him:

 

- “What is that about, a well-paid escort journey?”

 

- “Well, at breakfast in the Inn, Mister Feebles introduced me to a young couple. They said they are sixteen-years-old Nobility and they are travelling across this region to get a little more understanding about the state of the World. They were escorted here from the North, by those three that I… assaulted… yesterday. Since they are in no condition to continue, that couple asked if they could hire us to escort them to Argoheria, for twenty-five gold coins. Five coins now and the rest in Argoheria. With an extra, if Woof could go and my meals would be good. And when they decide to come back, they want us to escort them again. The young boy said we could go across the land or by boat. I got the impression the girl prefers going by boat, but the boy seems to be a battle maniac and likes to fight, so, he prefers going across Zakrosia. I said it would be Miss Duza to decide and I could give them an answer by this afternoon. But they want to meet you all, of course.”

 

Duza was gasping.

 

- “Such a huge sum of money… But why they asked you instead of coming to the Guild and post a Quest? That would be the normal procedure!”

 

- “Well, maybe because the Guild from where those three guys came, said to them that they were strong, and a mere Farmer knocked them out with a wooden bench… I guess Mister Feebles told them what happened…”

 

They all started to laugh. After a while, Duza spoke, after clearing her tears:

 

- “Yeah, that could be the reason! Getting such kind of news would make anyone decide to hire that Farmer… Ahahah! Sorry, I just remembered what happened. Only now I realized how funny it was!”

 

Ronald made an awkward smile while they were still laughing. When they calmed down, Ronald continued:

 

- “I just don’t know when they will want to return or if instead of returning to Loriath, they want to go to another place. That you can ask them in the afternoon, I guess. They also said that if we face danger and if needed, they can fight. Seems that at the beginning of their journey, they were travelling alone. And when they decided to get an escort, they were fooled by that Guild. I guess they don’t trust in Adventurer’s Guilds and they prefer to be the ones to choose their escort. If you decide to accept the job, I think we could start tomorrow after lunch, with today’s afternoon and tomorrow morning, to find the supplies and extra weaponry. They have their own carriage. I took the liberty of warning them that if too many of us died or it became too dangerous, we would either turn back or find a safe place to go.”

 

Duza nodded while leaning on the table to support her crossed fingers. Ronald tried to look away, that cleavage was too tempting, and those two big and round breasts seemed to call for his attention. Duza smiled after a short moment.

 

- “I am not counting on taking any risk with our lives, you did well on warn them. I think we can accept that task, but it would be better if we went by boat at the border of Thetria. We could go by horse along Kwoghia, Rediorumia, Thetria, get a boat there and by sea until Argoheria. If all goes well, in less than four months we will arrive at our destination.”

 

Ronald raised his arm.

 

- “I don’t know how to ride a horse, I never learned.”

 

Duza was surprised.

 

- “How did you manage to get to this country, all the way from Trebiak?”

 

- “By foot. Sometimes, a ride on the top of a carriage or an open wagon. Considering that they have a carriage and we will always travel on roads, we can put the supplies on top of the carriage, correct? I can go in there as well, or, I can take this opportunity to learn how to ride.”

 

Ovaidel tapped his back.

 

- “I can take care of that, I am a good teacher! The wolf can go on top of the carriage, he will have a good spot to look around so that we can rest assured that he warns us if something weird happens.”

 

Ini looked around and asked:

 

- “So, we are in agreement? The only thing left for us to do is to have a talk with our employers. And you two, while walking around the City, search for supplies. Rice, potatoes, meat, vegetables, and bags of grain for the horses.”

 

Ronald raised his arm again.

 

- “I think I can find some eatable plants along the way. The meat won’t be a problem either, I can hunt with Woof. I was told that if prey is not available, Monsters such as Lamias, Harpies or Orcs, are very tasty. I never tried, but I know how to cook snake, birds and pig.”

 

Ini frowned.

 

- “I would prefer not eating those. Unless you are an amazing Cook… Either way, its better if we have enough food and water instead of depending on finding those, during our travel. But we don’t need a lot, we can buy in some Villages and Cities while we travel. Well, go away, you are losing daylight! Have a nice walk, and Mister Ronald, don’t let anyone get too familiar with our Duza there, because in those clothes, she can get into a lot of problems!”

 

Duza quickly got up, with her face all red.

 

- “What do you mean by that? Mira helped me to choose these clothes! I wanted to go in my combat clothes, but she was the one to say that for a mere walk, these clothes would be better!”

 

Ini hid a smile.

 

- “I agree with her. Those are indeed the perfect clothes to show this City to Mister Ronald. And you, be a good boy and pay her a snack during your search for supplies. In the market, there are always stalls with drinks and all kinds of food.”

 

Ronald nodded.

 

- “Of course, that was my intention. No way that I would be walking with a woman and don’t provide food and drink when we take a rest. Miss Duza, shall we go?”

 

Duza smiled but before she could answer, a woman scream was heard from the front desk. When they looked, Ma Yangfa was screaming while Woof had his arm on the mouth. Ma tried to get loose, only to make Woof bit harder and make his arm bleed. Mira was shouting for Woof to stop. After her second shout, Woof let go but he stood between Mira and Ma, growling. Ronald rushed to get there.

 

- “Woof, quiet boy! Miss Mira, what happened?”

 

Mira was all red, and she stuttered to explain:

 

- “I… was giving orders to Woof, to see if he obeyed me… I told Woof to be alert… and then Ma approached and shouted my name when I had my back to the front desk. He was playing me a prank, but I got spooked and shouted. I think Woof thought that I was in danger and he jumped on Ma to stop him!”

 

Ronald kneeled to look at Woof while caressing his head. He was still growling at Ma Yangfa.

 

- “Calm down, boy. You did good, don’t worry. Miss Mira was not in danger, but you couldn’t know. You did a good job on protecting her, thanks. Mister Ma, sorry for this, but it was your fault. Woof is very obedient, and Miss Mira ordered him to be alert. He saw your prank towards Miss Mira as an attack.”

 

Ma was holding his bleeding arm and breathing heavily.

 

- “Yeah… That was indeed a very bad idea… I thought it would be funny, I didn’t know he was behind the front desk!”

 

Mira rushed to Ma, with a bowl of clean water and a rag, to help him.

 

- “Let me take care of you, Ma, and sorry for this. I was just playing with Woof!”

 

- “No, I was the one at fault. You have a very good escort. No one in here would dare to attack me as he did, and this little guy didn’t even hesitate!”

 

Ronald got up again, and he winked one eye to Ma Yangfa.

 

- “I am counting on you to help Woof on protecting Miss Mira against this horde of crazy men, ok?”

 

- “Of course, that goes without asking!”

 

Ronald left, after taking one last look to a red-smiling-face Mira. When he got near Duza, she was smiling too. She pointed with her head into their direction.

 

- “It’s good to see those two like that. They make a nice couple, don’t they?”

 

Ronald agreed.

 

- “I thought the same thing, yesterday. I hope that evolves, it would be funny seeing them going all lovey-dovey. The kind and beautiful Miss Mira with the big and mean Ma Yangfa! Heheheh!”

 

While they were leaving the Guild, Duza pointed back with her right thumb.

 

- “Ma is not mean, he is truly amazing and a gentle person. But because of his looks, people always tend to fear him.”

 

- “I know, I like him, too. After what I did to him yesterday, a mean man would not rest until he got revenge. But I think we became friends. And late this day, he will either be friends with Woof, or he will lose one arm if he scares Miss Mira again while Woof is next to her! So, where can we go first?”

 

Duza smiled while grabbing the side of her dress to lift it a little, to be easier for her to walk without dragging the dress on the soil.

 

- “We can go along this street, look at the Church, see the main house of the City Chief and go to the Market in the central square. There are a lot of small shops near it, where we can ask the prices for the supplies that we need. We must make a list of everything and the total of what it will cost, to present it to our employers, because supplies and stays in some Inns for them along the way, it’s their responsibility. We can sleep outside, in a stable or an Inn, but that it’s on our own.”

 

They walked down the street, stopping from time to time for Ronald to look at the entrance of a house that caught his attention with Duza telling him what she knew about the people living in there.

When they approached the Church, Ronald asked if they could enter, and even with Duza frowning, she agreed with him. In there, Ronald saw some paintings along the walls, depicting some past battles and Kings. On the back wall, facing the entrance, was a picture of the World with Gaya over it and God Seya underneath it, with his arms stretched like if he was lifting the entire World. Right in front of it, there was a circle on the floor, with drawings similar to those that he saw on the cave where Ronald appeared. Ronald stopped right in front of it, looking. A Priest came from a room at the right, he had a rag on his left hand, and it seemed like he was cleaning something at the back. He greeted Ronald with a smile:

 

- “Good morning for you, stranger! And to you too, Miss!”

 

- “Good morning Priest. I was just looking at this circle. And this painting.”

 

- “Yes, this World supervised by Gaya, the Magical Mountain and God Seya, carrying and supporting it. And this circle, you know what it is, right?”

 

Ronald shook his head while looking at it.

 

- “No, I can’t say I know what it is. I think it has something to do with Magic, but I don’t know what.”

 

The Priest opened his mouth, and he looked at Duza, that seemed as surprised as him. Ronald realized that he said something that he shouldn’t, so he tried to explain himself:

 

- “This is my first time entering into a Church. I never had the time to do that, previously.”

 

- “But… for sure you went to one with another Priest, for your judgment when you turned sixteen!”

 

- “No, never, Priest. I never thought of leaving this World, so, I never went to a Church to be judged. I hope you don’t think badly of me for never doing it…”

 

- “No… not really… just surprised… I know that some people never did that, but I never met one. May I ask why you were never judged by Gaya?”

 

Ronald shrugged his shoulders.

 

- “I had a happy life, with a family and friends. I never thought about leaving them. And after my friends got married and moved to another City and my family got killed, I was so depressed that I never thought of doing it. But I still have time, right? Gaya is returning in a few months, maybe I try my luck when that time comes. Or maybe I won’t and decide to remain here. Let’s see what the future holds for me.”

 

The Priest smiled, and he then turned to Duza.

 

- “And you, young lady, are you coming to be judged in a few months?”

 

Duza had a very serious look on her face.

 

- “No, Priest. I am very happy as I am. I already know that because of my past, even if I tried, Gaya would never approve of me.”

 

- “Nonsense, such a kind and beautiful young woman such as yourself, for sure…”

 

Before he could say anything else, Duza interrupted.

 

- “I am Duza Sonanji, Priest. I am perfectly aware of what Gaya will say if I come here to be judged.”

 

The Priest trembled a little.

 

- “Forgive me, Miss Duza Sonanji, I didn’t recognize you in those clothes and loose hair. I will say no more. But you could be surprised or even tempted to change your ways if you decided to come, you never know…”

 

Duza made a small smile.

 

- “Maybe, or maybe not. But I would never leave my father and sister behind, you know that. Forgive us, but we must go, we need to look for supplies for our next job.”

 

The Priest made a slight bow.

 

- “May God Seya guide your life, young ones.”

 

Ronald returned the bow, and he followed Duza. While they were walking, Duza was silent. After five minutes, with Ronald waiting for her to say something, he asked:

 

- “Why…”

 

But she interrupted him.

 

- “With my line of work, one is always in some kind of danger or difficult situation. I am still alive while many other Adventurers from our Guild are dead. I keep on living because I react with violence and death towards anything or anyone that threatens me. Because I am a woman, some people tend to underestimate me and try to get any kind of advantage, thinking that they will have their way. Those don’t live long. I hope you don’t turn out to be one of those. I would be upset, and Mira won’t forgive me if I took your head.”

 

- “I see… I will do my best to conquer your confidence. If I can’t, no harm is done, I will just continue travelling and leave you alone.”

 

Duza turned bright red, and replied:

 

- “I would prefer if you conquered me… I mean… If you…”

 

Ronald smiled and looked at her while touching a small curl in her hair.

 

- “I will try to gain your confidence. And your heart, if possible…”

 

Duza looked away.

 

- “I am… a very difficult woman… or so I was told…”

 

- “Maybe, or that is just an act on your part, as protection. Well, I don’t have any rush, I have a lot of time to make you trust me a little more. Maybe this job helps if you decide to accept it.”

 

Duza made a small smile.

 

- “Maybe our travel makes you get stronger because my father will never approve of you. A simple Farmer with his older daughter? He would never…”

 

Ronald placed a finger over her lips.

 

- “I don’t need anyone else’s approval. Besides, I think I have already conquered your father. And your sister. I even managed to conquer your companions and Ma Yangfa! But… I haven’t met your mother…”

 

- “She died when I was little. She was a Guard, and she was often in battles on the border of that forest. A company of soldiers from Breidan came from there, and she died while fighting them. I was told that she had the most killings when she was hit by an arrow straight to her heart.”

 

- “I am sorry, I didn’t know. Do you remember her?”

 

- “Yes. Mira has some recollections, but she was so little when our mother died that she only remembers her singing. I still remember her looks, smell, and how she smiled. I hope that God Seya found a nice place for her to rest, she deserved it.”

 

They continued their walk, passing in front of the City Chief’s house, with a Guard on the other side of the gate looking at them. Duza made a slight bow, and he remained still, just looking. They went in the direction of the Market, where Ronald took the chance to choose some freshly baked cookies and some fruit juice, for them to eat while seated on a nearby bench. Duza was smiling while eating, watching a couple of kids playing catch-up. She pointed to a shop on her left.

 

- “We can go there, for you to choose some armour. You just have those combat clothes and that sword, right? You could have some armour and a shield, as protection.”

 

Ronald shrugged his shoulders.

 

- “Never needed it. I saw some people in the Guild with it, but I think it winders the movements. Ma Yangfa can be strong, but all that armour that he wears makes him slow and easy to defeat.”

 

- “Easy to defeat? Only you to say something like that! Even with all that armour that he always wears, no one is faster than him! Well, except the Guild Master, Ini, and me… Oh, and you!”

 

- “Like I said, easy to defeat. You saw it, right? Even Woof had him as a snack, early. No, I pass on the armour. But we could buy a battle axe for Ovaidel. He uses two short swords, right? It would be funny, seeing a Dwarf with his size, with a big battle axe!”

 

- “Yeah, I already tried to convince him to get one, but he says that it doesn’t work for him, he thinks it’s a slow weapon.”

 

- “That’s a pity, it would be so funny… And that shop over there, with that strange drawing of a wolf on that sign over the door?”

 

- “That’s a Card Shop. It sells Magical Cards. We can check it up if you want.”

 

- “I do, I am a little curious…”

 

After finishing eating, they walked in the direction of the Card Shop. Duza knocked and an old woman opened the door with a weird smile.

 

- “Oh, visitors! Please come in! I have a very nice selection of Magical Cards for such a lovely couple!”

 

Duza turned bright red, and she looked at Ronald from the corner of her eye to check his reaction. He was a little awkward, looking surprised. Duza hid her smile, and she followed the old woman into the shop. Ronald stopped at a closet, looking at some Cards that were displayed in there, protected underneath a window, with some supports holding them upright for easy reading. A “Big Rat” and “Giant Spider” Card, next to a “Bottomless Hole”. The old woman noticed where he was looking.

 

- “Interesting, right? Three of my best Cards. Very expensive and difficult to find. I have some more in a drawer in my desk, that are even rarer, if you want to have a look.”

 

- “I do. I would also want to see some that are more common and cheap.”

 

The old woman nodded, and she went to behind the front desk. She took a key from a necklace and she opened the bottom drawer. From there, she took a small wooden Card Box.

 

- “Here. Two spells, “Lightning Strike”, “Fire Slash” and a trap, “Catapult”. Together with those three that you saw in there, are the most expensive that I have. You would have to search in a lot of Card Shops to find these.”

 

- “I see… You don’t have “Willpower Cards” or “Mana Cards”?”

 

- “No… I only saw one of those, once, in all my life. A High Mage had it. They are almost impossible to find. And the ones that exist, have owners that aren’t willing to sell them to anyone!”

 

- “Really? Interesting… So, can you show me some more common Cards? And also, tell me the price of the “Lightning Strike”, “Fire Slash” and the “Catapult” Cards.”

 

The old woman slowly shook her head.

 

- “Young man, you don’t know that for using these Cards, you must be in sync with them?”

 

- “Well, I already know that I was in sync with some of these some time ago, but I don’t know if I am with these. I guess I need to try, right?”

 

The old woman pointed at the Cards and Ronald touched them with his right index finger. He felt a tickling and smiled.

 

- “It tickles… Well, I guess I am in sync with these. So, the price for them?”

 

The old woman blinked a few times, surprised because the Cards that she had for so long, that no one was in sync for all the past few years, had found an owner.

 

- “These spells are three silver coins each and the trap, four silver coins.”

 

- “Miss Duza, is this reasonable? I really don’t know what the prices of these Cards are, in this Kingdom.”

 

Duza was biting her lip.

 

- “Yes, it’s fair… But… you want to spend money on this? But your Mana…”

 

She stopped speaking because Ronald made an angry look at her. He then made a small smile to the old woman.

 

- “Well, considering the amount of dust on some Cards that you have displayed and the lack of customers, I could guess that you don’t have many opportunities to sell Cards like these ones, right? So, what are the common Cards that you have and that most people buy?”

 

The old woman opened the top drawer, and she took a small chest from there. She then grabbed some Cards and placed them over her desk.

 

- “This one is often bought by young couples, the Spell Card “Light Ray” for 100 Mana, that blinds a person for a few minutes, giving time for a young lady to escape, and these that are bought by parents to offer their children, the Magical Beings “Jumping Rabbit” and the “Fast Bird”, each for 50 Mana.”

 

Ronald was smiling at the drawings.

 

- “These are pretty… How much?”

 

- “Two copper coins each. Very cheap, right?”

 

Ronald pointed to the Spell Card “Light Ray” while asking Duza.

 

- “Do you have one of these?”

 

- “No… I have Mana for it, but I prefer taking the head of someone that tries to attack me…”

 

- “Well, since couples always buy this… and because I think this Rabbit and the Bird look funny… let me test it… it tickles too… cool… Now you.”

 

Duza touched the “Light Ray” and she nodded.

 

- “It works for me… but… these are bought by the man to offer to a woman…”

 

Ronald smiled.

 

- “Last time I checked, we were a man and a woman… So, I want the “Lightning Strike”, “Fire Slash”, “Catapult”, “Light Ray”, “Jumping Rabbit” and the “Fast Bird” Cards, please. For a total of ten silver coins and six copper coins, correct?”

 

The old woman trembled for a moment. So much money was surprising.

 

- “Yes… that’s correct… and… if you want all that, I can even offer a wooden Card Box for them.”

 

- “That’s not needed. Just the Cards, please. Here are the coins. It was a pleasure doing business with you. Let me just place these Cards in my Card Box… and here is your “Light Ray”. Try to use it next time someone messes with you instead of killing the poor bastard, ok?”

 

Duza grabbed the Card with a trembling hand and held it near her chest. Because that dress didn’t have any pockets, she placed the Card under her underwear and over her right breast on the same side of her heart.

 

- “Ok… thanks…”

 

- “Thanks for the business, see you next time.”

 

The old woman was smiling, looking at the coins on her hand.

 

- “I am the one to be grateful, young man. I was thinking that I would never find someone that could use those Cards!”

 

They both left the Card Shop, leaving behind a waving old woman. While they were walking, Duza was intrigued.

 

- “Ronald… why did you buy those Cards? For what I saw in the Status Sphere, you only have 200 Mana for spending each day… Those Cards, you can only use that amount…”

 

- “I intend on getting stronger, remember? With these, I have an extra incentive. And they are lighter than an armour, right?”

 

- “Yeah… but you would be safer with armour than with those Cards…”

 

- “Don’t worry, I managed to stay alive until now, with my strength, a few Cards, Woof, and this sword.”

 

- “But the journey ahead of us, it’s very dangerous. A lot of things can happen.”

 

- “Yeah, I am a little excited about it. Travelling with you and the others looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun. So, Duza, where to next?”

 

- “Hey, what happened to Miss Duza?

 

- “You were the one to address me as Ronald, only moments ago… But if you prefer…”

 

- “No, I… don’t mind… even the others call me Duza. You were the only one to call me Miss Duza. I kind of… got used to it…”

 

- “Very well, Miss Duza, I shall continue addressing you like that.”

 

Duza strongly shook her head.

 

- “No… I… when we are alone, I would prefer if you only used my name… Ronald… it seems more… appropriate…”

 

- “Of course, dear Duza, I will do just that…”

 

Duza became bright red. Being called “dear” was too sudden. But she smiled with a sparkle on her eyes. She then pointed to a nearby stall where some bags of potatoes and rice were exposed. On the next stall, there were vegetables and dried meat. While Ronald was asking the price for those, Duza noticed four Border Guards walking in the market, talking loudly and with one of them trying to kiss a young seller woman. Since she refused to be kissed, one guard slapped her while shouting that she should be honoured to be kissed by someone that is always protecting the border with that dangerous forest. Duza turned to look at the rice bags while watching from the corner of her eyes to those four rude Border Guards. Then, one of the Guards noticed her and he elbowed the one next to him, pointing at her. She saw them walking towards the stall and she swiftly went near Ronald, grabbed his arm, smiled at the seller and guided him along the market. She disguised and increased the speed of the walk while pointing to a store. Ronald thought something was happening but before he could say anything, she pointed to an alley and spoke in a loud voice, for the pursuers that were only at three meters away, could hear:

 

- “Let’s go through there, it’s a short-cut to a beautiful shop in the back street!”

 

Ronald didn’t say a thing. Riattus also saw the Guards approaching, and he was the first to warn him that trouble was coming. When they entered the alley and almost in the middle of it, one of the Border Guards shouted:

 

- “You two, stop! You are looking suspicious!”

 

Duza stopped, and she looked at them with a weird smile.

 

- “We are the suspicious ones? What about you four, annoying every woman in the market? And when you saw me you decided to try your luck with the fragile young woman in the green dress? I don’t want to ruin my beautiful dress with your blood, but you are pushing your luck a little too far, by interrupting our walk. You may not recognize me, but I know who you all are. Your deeds and bad reputation precedes you, but no one does a thing because you are Border Guards. And you abuse the goodwill of our people. Unlucky for you, I hate people that disgraces the amazingly good reputation of the Border Guards…”

 

While talking, Duza was pulling her dress up, raising the bottom until it reached her knees. She quickly tied the excess fabric with the two strings at both sides that Ronald thought it was only for decoration. Only at that time, he realized that Duza had that dress prepared for a fight if needed. She quickly grabbed the two daggers that she was hiding on her thighs and she lowered her body a little and bent her knees.

 

- “So, who wants to be the first to die?”

 

As soon as the Guards approached their hands to the swords, Ronald moved at light speed. He put his hand under Duza’s dress and took from her underwear the Spell Card that she had over her breast. He then shouted while throwing the Card to the front between them and the Guards:

 

- “Duza, close your eyes! “Light Ray!””

 

A blinding light spread from the Card, as bright as the sun. Ronald closed his eyes and covered them with his hands. The Guards were shouting, in panic:

 

- “Aargh!... I can’t see… What’s happening…”

 

When Riattus told him it was safe, Ronald opened his eyes and ran towards the Guards. When Duza opened her eyes, she saw him holding a Guard on each hand and bumping them against each other, knocking them out. He then punched the third one and kicked the last one in the groins. A karate chop on the back of his neck knocked him too. When he finished, he bent over to get Duza’s Spell Card from the ground. He gave it to her, with his face all red.

 

- “I am sorry for what I did… I had no second intentions about touching your breast as I did, I just wanted to get the Card to protect you. I know that you don’t need to be protected, but you were going to kill them and ruin your beautiful dress. You look very pretty with it, I would prefer if you could use it on another day.”

 

Duza turned bright red, and she put the daggers on the leg sheaths again and loose the strings of her dress. She put the Card under her underwear, with a slight smile.

 

- “That’s ok… but try not to touch my breast so sudden… next time, at least kiss me while doing it… but I am not an easy woman, you will have to work a lot, for me to be willing to be kissed or touched by you…”

 

- “Well, I don’t mind the extra work. So, what do we do with these guys?”

 

Duza looked to both ends of the alley.

 

- “No one saw what happened, but when they wake up, they will try to find out who did this. Sooner or later, they will know who I am. A lot of people saw us getting out of the Guild. We could have a lot of trouble because of them…”

 

- “They were the ones to cause all this. We just defended ourselves.”

 

- “Yes, but no one saw it. It's our word against four Border Guards. Because of their line of work, everyone will believe in them.”

 

Ronald looked at the Guards. She could be right, but he had so little knowledge about the World that he wasn’t sure about what to do. Riattus hovered to be next to the four Guards, and he spoke with a concerned look on his face.

 

- “You know, she is completely right. Even if you all go tomorrow on that journey, these guys will make a mess in the Guild, looking for you both. They will for sure try to catch you before you leave the country and if they don’t achieve that, they will wait for you to come back. Or they will go after the Guild Master since he is her father and all. There are only two things that you can do. Do nothing or make them disappear for good. Because even if you hurt or threaten them to not tell a thing, sooner or later they will recover or break the agreement. And these guys look like the vindictive type. If it was me, I would prefer to make them disappear, but it’s your call.”

 

Ronald looked at Duza and then at the Guards. He whispered:

 

- “Maybe make them disappear inside a deep hole…”

 

Duza heard him.

 

- “What do you mean by that?”

 

Riattus pointed at her with his right thumb.

 

- “If you do that, she will get suspicious. But for what I saw so far, she is well level-headed. A strong woman in this dump of a World. I think you can trust her. On her companions, I don’t know. For my experience, Church fanatics like that Reylom always caused me more problems than I thought at first. Like I said, your call. I will help you with everything I can, you know that.”

 

Ronald turned to Duza and placed one hand over her right shoulder.

 

- “Duza, I am going to make sure that these guys don’t cause any more problems for you. But I need you to promise me that you don’t ask me anything and you can never tell what I am about to do, to anyone, including your father and sister.”

 

- “But, what are you …?”

 

Ronald placed one finger on her lips.

 

- “No questions. Can I trust you?”

 

Duza slowly nodded. Ronald went near the four knocked out Guards and from the Card Box on the inner pocket of his combat vest, he took one Card that he threw to their side and activated it. A dark, deep hole appeared on the ground. Ronald quickly threw the Guards inside of it before the baffled look that Duza had. When the hole disappeared, he picked up the Card and placed it on his Card Box again. Duza pointed at the ground where the hole used to be, and she stuttered:

 

- “A “Bottomless Hole” Card… you had one of those… but… you shouldn’t have enough Mana for it after using my Spell Card, how…”

 

- “Duza, I warned you, didn’t I? No questions and no talking about this to anyone. Or I will disappear immediately. Can I trust you to keep this for yourself?”

 

- “Yes… But, will you explain this to me, one day?”

 

- “Of course, when I am sure that it’s safe. It may take a while, I hope you can wait for my explanation.”

 

- “I guess… Thanks for this, I could have a lot of problems because of those bastards. And my family… I knew it was a bad idea, putting on this dress. If I had my normal clothes and my tied-up hair, they would know who I was, and they wouldn’t dare to mess with me.”

 

- “But I would never have the chance to walk around town with you today, looking so astonishing. Not that you don’t look good in your normal clothes, but your dress is very beautiful, and it suits you, together with your loose hair. Besides, if they didn’t come after you, they could have gone after another woman, one that would have a lot of problems with them. So, before I forget, let me just pop those Mana Orbs. I need to get stronger fast, right?”

 

Ronald touched each ball, one after the other, feeling the familiar tickling. He then smiled at Duza and went towards her.

 

- “Well, shall we continue our walk? Don’t you forget, this never happened.”

 

-Yeah… But you can use the Status Sphere that the Guild Master has, for assigning…”

 

- “No, he could ask about how I managed to get more Status Points and I don’t want to answer that. Don’t worry, I will take care of it, at another time. So, shall we go?”

 

Duza followed him, more intrigued than when he first entered the Guild. He was indeed very interesting and with so many questions appearing when so many others were previously answered by their talk at the Guild. She hides a smile, maybe he could turn out to be her mate. She already figured out that he was interested in her, but she wasn’t sure if she felt the same way or if she was just impressed by his mysteriousness.

They went to the Market again, checking the prices of every supply that they would need. When it was almost lunchtime, they returned to the Guild. As soon as they entered, they noticed the silence all around, with everyone that was at the tables looking to the front desk where Woof was growling to a pair of Knights that were escorting a young boy in shiny clothes full of frills. Next to Woof, was Mira, holding his neck scarfs and the Guild Master, that looked angry. Ronald heard him and by that, he could almost figure out what was happening.

 

- “No, you can’t have this wolf. He is not ours, to begin with, he belongs to one of our members. But we all consider that he as well, is a member, despite being a wolf.”

 

The boy bumped his right feet on the floor a few times.

 

- “Not fair! Why this Guild can have a wild wolf as a pet, and I can’t? If I tell this to my father, he will order you to obey! He is the City Chief, and he has more authority than you and…”

 

Before the boy could say anything more, Ronald interrupted as soon as he got near them:

 

- “Thanks, Miss Mira. I hope he didn’t give too much trouble. Woof, come here, boy! Miss Mira, can we have something for lunch? We walked for a while, and we are starving.”

 

The boy spoke and while looking at Ronald, made a proud pose.

 

- “You! Why didn’t you greet me in the proper manner that a Nobel like me deserves?”

 

Ronald looked at the boy, from top to bottom. He then looked at the Knights that seemed to be a little worried about so many Adventurers nearby. Ronald approached the boy and whispered at his right ear:

 

- “Careful, boy… I am in a really bad mood. I am a skilled assassin in disguise and if you make me angry, I will appear inside your room in the middle of the night and slice your throat. Next, I will go after your mother and I will rape her while your father watches. I will then chop her head and drink her blood before killing your father. Maybe I rape him too, I will decide at that time. Now, don’t you say one more word and leave. If I see you again, I will make you regret it for the rest of your very short life! Do you understand what I just said? Nod your head if you do. If I need to repeat myself, I will kill you this instant.

 

The boy turned pale and slowly nods his head. He then turned to face Mira.

 

- “I… will just take the deer meat that you have from my father’s Quest… let’s go…”

 

The boy left, wobbling a little, followed by the Knights. Ronald frowned while watching him.

 

- “Such a rude brat… What was that about?”

 

The Guild Master took a deep breath.

 

- “The usual, a spoiled Nobel’s son. But this one has more power than it should, for someone of only ten years old. He is used to having all his wishes granted because if not, his father can cause a lot of problems for someone that doesn’t bend to his whims. What did you say to him?”

 

- “I might have threatened him a little… or made a fair warning. I need to think about this for a while. Maybe I need to have another talk with him so that he realizes that I wasn’t joking. Or else, he could cause some problems for you.”

 

- “No, he won’t. We may not look like it, but we are a very powerful Guild. This City relies on us, for helping on protecting them from the Breidan Army or Monsters that comes too often from the forest. That boy may not know about this, but I grew up with his father. I warned him a lot of times that his kid was getting this kind of bad habit and one day, he would either die because of that or cause the death of someone. Maybe you should be more careful, you tend to put yourself in this kind of situation, more often than you should.”

 

Ronald agreed with him, Riattus said something similar, previously.

 

- “You are right, but it’s also your fault for having such kind and beautiful daughters that make everyone willing to protect them… Didn’t you notice that Ma Yangfa over there had one hand over his sword? And Ini had an arrow ready? If I didn’t scare him, there would be a lot of blood on this floor again. And Miss Mira would have a lot of trouble, cleaning it. You should thank me for my intervention, instead of looking at me so worried about my well-being.”

 

The Guild Master looked around and he noticed a bunch of hidden smiles and muffled laughter.

 

- “The nerve of this guy… Ok, thank you, Mister Ronald, for your kind and thoughtful intervention! Now, Mira told me that Duza went to show the town to you, what do you…?”

 

Only then, the Guild Master noticed Duza approaching. His jaw dropped, she looked just like her mother, in a beautiful dress and loose hair that was floating as she walked towards him, with a smile on her lips. When she got near him, he slowly placed his right hand on her face.

 

- “Duza… you… remind me of your mother, like that… why…”

 

He then noticed that she was turning red and was nervously looking in Ronald’s direction. He looked back and saw Mira smiling, with a shine in her eyes. Since Ronald was so serious, he understood immediately. With a small nod of his head, he went to his office again. That reaction surprised Ronald, and he asked Mira.

 

- “He is angry with me, or what?”

 

- “No, I think he just realized that Duza grew up and became a very beautiful woman. Did you both enjoy your walk? I have lunch ready for you, but I didn’t know if you would come back in time or not. Go seat, I will take care of your meal.”

 

From Ronald’s back, a familiar voice was heard.

 

- “Do you have room for three more? We would like to eat here, if possible. Unless Mister Ronald wants to make another mess, of course. That Noble boy and those two Knights almost threw me into the ground, on their hurry to get out from here!”

6