THE DOWAGER EMPRESS
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As we are riding done, the path surrounded by white walls on each side of us.

She looked at me. "Can we please walk? I am a little restless."

"Is everything ok?"

"I am worried that the same thing is going to happen like yesterday."

"You do not need to worry about it. They locked her in her palace today."

Seeing the stress lift off her was so nice. I helped her get out of the sedan and I grabbed her hand as we walked the rest of the way to my grandmothers. We arrived; I watched Na's face. You can tell she was not to stress about being here.

We walked through the gate, and the scent of her flowers blasted us in the face. My grandmother's palace is a simple place, but you still know her status. Flowers on each side of the walkway going over the bridge. Plants hanging from the ceiling of the closed in walkways.

I can see she is deep in thought about something. "What are you thinking about?"

"Is this what it is like for the older generation, the flowers, and plants everywhere? I mean, it is something to do to kill time?"

We can hear a laugh coming from in front of us. "No, it's not something you do to just to kill time in your old age."

Na blushed a little in her defense. She did not know my grandmother was there.

As we bowed, "good morning royal grandmother."

"We are in a family setting, so no formalities."

As we rose, I looked and noticed my parents are here as well.

"Since we were interrupted yesterday, I still have things I need to talk to you about." My father insisted.

"Well, I just want to get to know your second wife, anyway I would have ignored you," my grandmother said with a smile. My grandmother smiled.

All I could do was laugh because of what my grandmother said. I watched as they headed into the back room. Me and my dad stayed outside. It was nice. Day, the breeze was not so bad, and it was not too hot either.

My dad talked. "The information being handed down after the flooding happened. There were no supplies for the townspeople."

"I thought the grain storages were full."

"That was last month's report that they were."

"While I am down there, I will go look and see what is exactly going on."

"Then there are the taxes we need to look at as well. I know that there is work to do, but do not forget your original reason for this trip. I want grandchildren."

"I won't forget; everything is in place."

"Good, remember she has never been out of her manor."

"I remember that is why I picked the most scenic route to take. I also made sure that she gets to see all the good bookstores as well."

"That is using your brain." My dad laughed.

"I will be out of the palace for the Autumn Festival. Are you going to be ok with that?"

"Of course, you must pay respects to your in-laws. I have a few gifts I want to send to them as well."

"I will pick them up tonight."

"We will make sure Fen stays where she belongs during your honeymoon. I cannot guarantee the festival and days up to and after the festival."

"It will be ok; we can just hope she will do as she is told. Maybe mom can send over someone to teach her while I am gone."

My dad just chuckled at the idea of it. The time is going by so slowly at a turtle's pace for my honeymoon. Maybe it is because I am excited about it.

"What is going through your mind, son?"

"It just feels like time is of a turtle speed these days."

"That's because you're excited about everything that has to do with her."

"One more thing. How are you keeping balance and harmony in your harem?"

"Your mom handles all the harem; I get the random complaints but that is going to happen. Women get jealous of each other."

"So, I am doomed because Fen operates my harem. She is hateful and spiteful."

"I am sorry that I picked her for you."

"I know you had no choice."

"Maybe she will grow up while you're away."

"mom will find someone to teach her."

The empress comes through my dad stands up "Is everything ok?"

"Yes, I just need to leave and meet with the Harem so I can hand out duties for the Autumn Festival."

"Is there something the crown prince's palace can do?" Na volunteering our palace.

"You will be at your parents, and we already gave the crown princess her orders," my mom informed us.

We decided we need to head back to get ready to go. Seeing we are leaving for her parents' house next week.

We got into the sedan. She looked at me. "I realized we are only one year apart in age."

All I could do was smile because Shuming had already told me her age and her birthday. Knowing we only have a week before we set off to visit my in-laws, she is going to be on the impatience side. I need to figure out what to do with her, so she will not get bored.

"Is there anything I can do to help with?" she asked.

"I have a great surprise for you."

She had an empty building in her palace, so I converted into a study with all her books inside and, of course, I added some more books for her.

We finally arrived at her palace. I took her by the hand inside. She was looking around at all the things there for her, all the bookshelves full of books and the desk with a calligraphy set that I knew she would enjoy.

I know this will help with the idle time. See jumped into my arms and kissed me non-stop. It caught me off guard. I can hear Cao and Shuming laughing in the background. I can see she is settling in with her study.

She looked at me coyly. "it is awfully lonely in here by me. It is big enough for two."

"I didn't think you would want to share."

"Why would come to that conclusion? I can give you a little spot just for you."

"What did you talk with my mom and grandmother about?"

"Little of this and that. It is between us women."

I could not help but feel a little sad that she does not trust me enough to tell me, but I know that will come in time.

"They were giving me a new perspective on the harem and what they went through. Nothing too big."

"Ok, if that is the truth, I will believe you."

"No matter what, we must trust each other. We cannot lie or take someone else word's for anything."

"I agree. We must always be honest with each other."

"Can I have other concubines over for visits from time to time?"

"Yes, I would like a peaceful harem unlike my fathers."

"That is a definite must. I would like things to be nice and quiet."

I just looked at her in amazement. She was an amazing woman. We share the same views as far the harem goes. She looked over at me with a coy look.

"What are you going to do if I fall asleep in here because it's nice and cozy in here?"

I grabbed her by the hand and looked deep into her eyes. As I pulled a book forward, it opened into a secret bed chamber. She raised her eyebrows at me. Does it mean she likes it or not? I better say something.

"It is just in case. If you need to hide for a few days."

"Oh" with a disappointed look

"Why are you so disappointed?"

"Well, I thought it was our own oasis. A place that we could sneak off to during the day to take naps together."

I could not help but smile. So, she has a different side to her. I wonder how far she will go.

"Your highness, the emperor wants to see you." Shuming came in rushing.

"I will see you tonight." Giving her the biggest smile.

As me and Shuming headed to my dad's palace,

"Do you know what this is about?"

"No, I am sorry."

"I wonder what happened between the time I left him this afternoon till now."

"Maybe our mission has changed?"

"I don't think it would have because it is the citizens."

"All we can do is go find out."

We step foot into my dad's study and bowed. "your majesty"

"Rise,"

"How can I help your majesty?"

"Did you forget something?"

"Not that I can think of."

"You were supposed to come back and get the gift for the prime minister."

"Oh yeah, I just got caught up showing Na her new room."

0