47. Goblin Subjugation [Part 3]
120 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The battle had tilted in their favor. Xiang Ya remained on Nee Chen's back like a mobile healing tank. Because she was on top of Nee Chen, she could see more clearly what was happening on the battlefield. She counted mentally the number of remaining enemies. "There were only elites left, Chen... There were a dozen of them, and maybe a few sneak-type in hiding."

"I heard you..." Nee Chen stood his ground with his sword raised. He could feel Xiang Ya's hold on him getting slacker perhaps even by stationarily riding on him, she was continuously expending stamina. 

The remaining goblins had surrounded Nee Chen. this was a turning point. He looked at his system interface, finding comfort that he still had a lot of health points to spare, and that he was not suffering from any debuff.

[Nee Chen | Humble Blade | Level 31 | Vitality: 64% | Buff: Pain Nullification, Barrier II]

Xiang Ya realized that they were in a pinch, so she suggested a strategy to Nee Chen. "My qi reserves were almost bottomed out. Let's finish this. I'd give you the last of my Heal spell and maybe renew the buff spells." She had been especially studious since arriving here and becoming a player. Being studious was a trait that had to be realized so that she could become stronger. 

This was in truth an influence of the smart Lu Gao and the hardworking Nee Chen, and that was why Xiang Ya was able to read most of the tutorial guide from the system.

When the Beta Expansion Pack arrived, Xiang Ya made sure to study the released information about the goblins and their inclinations. 

"Chen, I'd heal you to full tank..."

"Rejected, I would need your barrier more... I'd need the bugged-double-down-barrier... So. Please recover your qi..."

Xiang Ya observed their opponents. There were a dozen melee-type goblin elites such as Goblin Soldier, Goblin Axeman, Goblin Shield-bearer, and a few sneak-types who should have hidden and were waiting for an opportunity. The sneaky goblins were definitely the most troublesome as Xiang Ya inferred from them in her memories, they often were the ones who caused more trouble when she and Nee Chen were escaping last night.

The sneaky goblins ranged from Goblin Archer, Goblin Scout, or Goblin Assassin. 

Clang! Clang! Clang!

The sound of steel echoed in the forest as Nee Chen defended against his foes, while he sought a way to counter-attack, but it was useless as the goblins had become so much smarter at dealing with him. When he was about to behead a goblin, another goblin would come to the rescue and aim for his healer's, Xiang Ya's, life.

Swoosh! Swoosh!

Consecutive releases of arrows resounded in the forest. It hit the Barrier II and was easily repelled. A Goblin Axeman bravely jumped and attacked, destroying Nee Chen's Barrier II. The axe that should have been repelled pierced the barrier and went for Nee Chen's throat. At the same time, a Goblin Assassin pounced and struck with his dagger at Xiang Ya.

Seeing that they were about to be killed, Xiang Ya braced herself and prepared for death. She was about to spam her spells at Nee Chen, but on the contrary, Nee Chen wanted something else.

"Ya," Nee Chen grinned with unique bloodthirsty in his eyes. "Don't. Not yet."

The axe came with ferocious momentum.

Nee Chen struck back aiming for mutual destruction, but he was not in any way aiming for such. He came here to win, so he would not settle for any less. His fighting spirit as a warrior burned brightly, and his sword glimmered with a silvery light. The sword in his hand slithered, striking at two points in a single breath.

The first point that was struck was the blunt side of the axe using his sword's hilt, this strike was meant to change the trajectory of the foe's weapon. Lastly, the second point was a simple stab to the throat of the Goblin Axeman. The axe that should have claimed Nee Chen's neck missed by a huge margin and ended up landing on his stomach.

Though it was not a killing blow, it was a fatal damage nonetheless.

[Vitality: 21%]

Despite the terrible situation he was put in, Nee Chen grinned.

Ping!

[Nee Chen | Humble Blade | Level 33]

It was because he leveled up, something he was aiming for had been fulfilled that his vigor was renewed.

"NOW!" Nee Chen shouted.

Xiang Ya complied as she unleashed her Barrier II. The spell activated and encased her. She cast it a second time, and a similar barrier enveloped Nee Chen. Her simultaneous casting was strenuous, but she managed.

The Goblin Assassin who saw the opportunity switched its target to Nee Chen.

But Nee Chen simply snickered at the ignorant goblin. He was saving plenty of his SP just for this moment, and that was to upgrade his 'Execute' skill. Though expensive, he believed that this was a worthy investment. Nee Chen upgraded his Execute to Execute II. There were many upgrade options such as Life Steal, Area of Effect, Multiple Cast, etc.

"Come and get some!"

Nee Chen swung his sword and used his martial skill: Execute II.

Execute was a skill that ate away at the caster's qi reserve proportional to the health points of the target. It was a skill meant to 'execute' and bestow 'instant death' to foes who had less than one-third of their health points.

Nee Chen had chosen the option of Energy Drain. Its effects were to regain an amount of qi of the caster depending on the damage he had inflicted. Seeing his qi reserves rising as he killed the Goblin Assassin, Nee Chen became bolder.

He singled out the Goblin Shield-beare who had less than one-third of his health points. 

"EXECUTE!"  Nee Chen shouted the skill's name and instantly killed a goblin.

Xiang Ya used a Heal spell on Nee Chen the second her qi had recovered. She wouldn't spare any more qi reserves and use them as much as possible. This was the endgame now. Thankfully, the goblins had no plans of retreating as they had no concept of fear.

The duo gritted their teeth and fought to the bitter end. It was either they died, or the goblins did. 

Nee Chen swung his sword, and Xiang Ya rained her spells. 

The goblins persistently attacked them with the same unbridled cruelty and every time they clashed, the goblins had only become angrier and angrier. It was a terrible battle. Nee Chen felt whimsical that he thought the little bunny might have gone lightly that in the end, it was he and Xiang Ya who had to put an end to this.

Strategy-wise though, it was the right decision to make Bi Yuan assassinate the HobGoblin. Nee Chen was just being bitchy about his situation and he thought of this as funny. Finally, when the last goblin fell, he breathed a sigh of relief. He fell face-first to the grass with Xiang Ya still on his back. 

The two helped themselves to the ground so that they could lie properly.

Around them were dead goblins everywhere. 

Their blood pooled and nourished the grass.

Ping!

[Quest Goblin Subjugation had been completed!]

Nee Chen inwardly cheered. "Ya? Still alive?"

Xiang Ya answered. "Yeah... I felt like treasuring my life now..."

"Ha ha ha... Me too..." Nee Chen awkwardly laughed realizing that they would not be so daring to confront such a large force if they would not know they could resurrect or reincarnate.  Though just by a little bit, he understood the slight meanings of the Game Master at how life was like a game. 

You win some. You lose some.

This time, they won and it elated Nee Chen.

The same was true for Xiang Ya as she smiled with a sense of satisfaction.

Nee Chen was stunned. He could not remember the last time Xiang Ya had such a smile. Perhaps it was the last time he saw such a smile during the birthday of Elder Fu when she organized a party and greeting in the village. 

Ping!

[Reward: Resurrection Token x10]

Nee Chen, Xiang Ya, and Bi Yuan received their rewards at the same time.

~~~

Bi Yuan opened her eyes to a dark world. 

In front of her were two options: (1) Resurrect and (2) Reincarnate.

It had been thirty minutes since she died, and only now did she receive the reward notification for 10 Resurrection Tokens. She hesitated on using them. For some reason, Bi Yuan was reluctant to resurrect. The Reincarnate option was tempting for her.

Bi Yuan's mind returned to a certain duo. The fight would be hard won, but considering how stupid the goblins generally were, it was most likely that Nee Chen and Xiang Ya would win. The quest completion notification was proof of this. That aside, Bi Yuan would eel immensely annoyed and regretful if Nee Chen failed as the weak low-level goblins were mere scrubs that should be easily killed.

Though killing the goblin elites would be a challenge, nee Chen should be able to do it with Xiang Ya's help.

In Bi Yuan's own reasoning, she was able to kill half of the elite goblins by herself while being surrounded from all sides. It would be a shame if Nee Che could not do the same considering that she thought of him as her rival. For some reason, a certain crocodile face entered her mind, and this annoyed her.

Bi Yuan's attention returned to the two options: (1) Resurrect and (2) Reincarnate.

"Kyu..."

The matters of the heart were complicated, and as a result, the little bunny could hardly decide.

5