Chapter 1: Best wishes and happy arftercare.
89 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And finally the chapter 1!

I had some issues that, I thought, were from formatting, but it turned out to be more Patreon jank, and so I just forgot to release both 0.5 and 1 until now. Sorry for that.

As David… he wasn’t sure what he did, but the fact that it wasn’t just him opening his eyes, woke him right up. Thankfully, this wasn’t the first time he woke up in a different place than where he fell asleep, so instead of panicking, he evaluated.

 

Dark spherical cave, seeing in all directions despite the lack of light, and being able to, well, “touch” the stone around him, combined with the lack of body, almost made him freak out. Almost. What was stopping him was some distant memory of… something black. He wasn’t sure what it was that he was remembering, but a thought of, “Whatever comes next, it’s gonna be Very different”, kept him calm. Although he wasn’t sure what this was, he was inclined to believe it was ok.

 

As he was digging around in his mind, and trying to figure out why everything was so incomplete, and also why he could suddenly remember his time as a baby, holey as it was, he suddenly felt a pressure on him. It wasn’t something heavy, more like someone putting a hand on your shoulder to get your attention. And get his attention it did.

 

As he focused on the feeling, he saw a screen. Well, he didn’t actually “see” it, but it was close enough for him.

 

New Message 1/3

From: Head of Heaven Department

Dear David Hearst, due to some unforeseen circumstances, we were forced to take a non standard approach to your case. As such, we have assigned an additional person for you to ask questions and for them to help you.

Best wishes and happy afterlife.

 

Although David wasn’t sure why, he thought about a clerk in a dark room when reading this. The message somewhat reassured him, in that he wouldn’t be just left alone in this situation.

 

New Message 2/3

From: Reincarnation Acclimation department

Dear David Hearst, due to a combination of your own wishes, circumstances of your current world of residence, and your current body, we have taken upon ourselves the liberty to either modify or lock your memories and personality.

While your personal values, views and preferences have not been changed, your cost of human life and aversion to both death and killing have been significantly lowered. In addition, memories which contain things that are not currently accessible, have been redacted or modified until your further progress. Such and other changes have been made to enhance your experience with your new life.

Best wishes and happy afterlife.

 

‘A bit of boilerplate, blah blah blah… So, I’m now bloodthirsty? No, they said my views and values weren’t affected, so It’s probably just my tolerances. As for memories, is that the holes? No they said that they also modified stuff, but I probably wouldn’t know what until later. Although… why are all my memories in a dark cave? I’m pretty sure that I was never actually in a cave, especially not when I was a baby… freaky.’

 

Spoked by the prospect of his head not being his own, but mollified by it being for his experience, David did little more than acknowledge him being in a different world, as that same black memory said that it is as it should be.

 

New Message 3/3

From: Cherz the Department [[email protected]]

Hi David! My name is Knealineurmarrupgreepie Cherzhtinogidirskaya Papurqmperekkonen, but for close friends and now yuo, just Cherz. I have been assigned to assist you and your system (which I made btw), so all your questions, sugestions and bug reports (hopefully not) go to me! I already took some liberties and made some changes that you might like. The brain scoopers might be mad at me for it, but I gave you perfect memories of your past life. Although I won't give you access to stuf you don’t have, you can now remember anything and everything you ever experience, even when you were a baby! I also got myself a connection setup to your internet, and to your blueprint list, so when you are trying to make something but need a little bit of help I’ll be there. (Not stuff like how to make it, but instead stuff like how exactly to arange stuff for maximum effectiveness) So yea, I’m just gonna sit around playing games and burning government funding while waiting for you to message me. Have fun!

Best wishes and happy arftercare.

 

‘HAH! I like this kid!’ As David's mood gradually rose as he read, he couldn’t help but try to remember his own childhood, but even despite the failure, the last line still sent him rolling with laughter.

 

As he gradually calmed down, he once again started thinking. Thinking about the system, that is. He kind of knew what that was, but once again, those memories were blurry, so he once again started digging in his head, and soon after-

 

Dungeon System

Settings

Send a bug reort

Message

 

Spotting the error, David decided to use one of the options immediately.

 

Contact the dev! (There goes my rest time)

Type: Minor error

Title: Typo on the first screen.

Description: Thanks for the help Cherz. You seem to be a good kid, but you Need to work on your grammar.

Attachments:

 

With the report written, he started to look for a button to send, when the screen suddenly changed.

 

Message sent!

 

‘So it’s thought operated, huh?’- no later than when David thought those words, did he get a reply, although it was not a message this time.

 

Update available!

V. -> V1.0

Description:

My bad! I didn’t implement the patch properly. Most (or hopefully all) typos like that should be gone with this.

Changes:

 

So, as David chuckled to himself, he mentally agreed and decided to look around while waiting for the update to finish.

After a hectic week of non-stop coding, Cherz could finally relax with a cup of herbal tea and a cherry pie. It would take a couple days for David to wake up, so for now he was free.

 

Just as Cherz was cutting the first slice of delicious cherry pie with his fork, he got a message. On his work email. Either he screwed up or…

New Message 1/1

From: David Hearst [[email protected]]

[Minor bug] Typo on the first screen.

Thanks for the help Cherz. You seem to be a good kid, but you Need to work on your grammar.

 

Quietly swearing to himself, he rolled across the room on his chair and quickly typed an apology and explanation on the patch. Cherz didn’t expect David to wake up in… he looked at the clock- in less than an hour!

 

‘Guess there’s the reason they hired me.’- with such thoughts, and seeing the system already updating, Cherz rolled back over to his oh so delicious pie, and continued watching locks being violated on his personal computer.

5