[157] New B-Komachi’s Debut
651 4 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 157: New B-Komachi’s Debut

“Bye-bye, see you~,” Ruby’s voice carried a mix of excitement yet also nervous anticipation as she waved from the car. Beside her, Ai sat her presence a calming balm to Ruby's jittery energy.

As the car pulled away, I raised my hand in a slow arc, waving at them. “Good luck,” I murmured, though the words were swallowed by the distance as the car vanished in the distance.

Ruby had been upset with me after the incident with Yura, but her anger never lasted long. She was too spirited and liked me too much to hate me for more than a week.

Life hadn’t calmed down since my date with Mai a few weeks ago; instead, it had gotten even busier as we geared up for Ruby’s big concert with B-Komachi. The supernatural drama in my life had paused, and everyday life grew busier than ever, especially with the Japan Idol Festival just days away. It’s the biggest event for idols, and B-Komachi’s prime time slot was a big deal, showing just how popular they had become.

It’s common for idol groups to make their first debut in JIF, but receiving a schedule and stage as good as the one that B-Komachi received is rare. JIF was the world's biggest idol festival, which went on from August 4th to August 6th, and in these 72 hours, the timing of the performance mattered greatly.

Due to B-Kmoachi’s former popularity, they were able to get a good schedule easily. Yet, Ruby didn’t leave any lacking for the upcoming concert’s promotion. Even right now, she left with Ai for another promotion. She’s been doing photoshoots, memes, TikToks, and visiting TV shows for the last few weeks.

It was August 1st already, and even today, she is with the rest of the B-Komachi to attend a TV show. It was one where she had gone before, and for once, Ai was with her. So I was extra sure and relaxed about this, there couldn’t be any problems.

Until I turned on the TV a few hours later.

[“Mhm? I really hoped your brother would be here…”] said a woman in a beautifully styled kimono, her blonde hair, and distinctly Japanese features giving her a regal look. I watched from the couch as she looked at Ruby, and then at the food served on the table in front of her that Ruby cooked earlier. [“Although I think the food smells good enough to erase that disappointment. Give him my greetings, please.”]

The mature lady finished speaking, and with a smile, she picked up a spoon and took a sip from the soup that Ruby made earlier. I watched the Yokai Queen eat my sister’s dish with a frown on my face, confused and curious about what she was doing there.

She was a judge, and beside her was my mother, who was also a judge. They were two guest judges, which surprised me. Yasaka, the Nine-Tailed Fox, was no celebrity. She was attending as a super guest due to some big fashion company she owned, so people knew of her even if this was the first time they saw her face on big TV.

That by itself wasn’t very surprising. As the leader of Kyoto’s Yokai Faction, and truthfully the entire Yokai Faction of Japan, she was wealthy like a Queen. So her being a guest judge in a big show wasn’t surprising, until I considered the information I received from Mai during our date.

The Yokai Faction had a bad relationship with the Five Principal Clans, and this cooking show was hosted by Alice Nakiri, who’s of course, a part of the Nakiri Clan. Since when did the Nine-Tailed Fox befriend the Golden Dragon?

Why the fuck was the Queen of Yokai attending this show as a special guest?

“Is there anything wrong…?” Through my frowning rage, I heard a soft voice call me from the side. I turned to find Asia walking into the room with some snacks. She must be here to watch the show too.

I let my frown drop and shook my head, “Nope, just pondering over something. Take a seat,” I patted the seat beside me. She looked at it for a moment and then sat down.

As I turned my attention back to the screen, Yasaka was praising Ruby’s culinary skills, her laughter light and seemingly genuine. The interaction between her and Ai that followed was filled with easy chatter and giggles. Nothing there that hinted at underlying schemes or malice. So I decided there was nothing to be worried about.

The Yokai Queen didn’t seem to have any ill intentions, even if it makes me wonder why she was suddenly good friends with the leading clan of the Five Principal Clans when they have been on bad terms for centuries. No, that rather showed her pacifist nature, even if the sudden change is odd.

There was stuff going on that I’m unaware of here.

Sadly, I had no intention of spending time worrying about it now, as long as she didn’t leave me any other choice. Ruby’s concert was soon, and I wanted it to go smoothly. Soon after that was the Three Faction Meeting too, which I’m not sure if I’ll attend, so that’s not on my worry list.

I just want to chill.

****

Under the bright lights of the studio kitchen, Ruby and the rest of B-Komachi, adorned in their vibrant, custom aprons, performed in a whirlwind of activity. Though officially just guest chefs at the competition, none of them held back.

Ruby, in particular, wasn't a trained chef, but her talent for mimicry had always been her secret weapon. With her Kagemimic ability, she had absorbed culinary techniques from countless YouTube tutorials before leaving the house, replicating complex dishes with a surprising flair that even seasoned chefs would admire. In the end, that skill had earned her and the team respectable scores across the board.

Yet, victory eluded them. As guests, they obviously wouldn’t have won, but even if she wasn’t a guest, I knew she’d lose. I suppose I must mention that Mai Senpai was also there, as a guest attendee from Yasaka’s side, but she didn’t win either. Of course, how could any of them win, when Soma Yukihira was there to compete?

Even through the TV screen, which failed to capture any usage of aura from his side, the million-year-old I had to admit the sheer skill of the young chef. Holy shit, was he good with what he cooked.

He's this good at the tender age of 17 years of age, in this backdated world, and with minimum aura abilities too. Was he the Reincarnation of some Cook God or what?

Alongside him, a competitor of Chinese origin named Xianling also made a lasting impression, securing second place with her exquisite fusion of traditional and modern techniques. Her name stirred a vague sense of familiarity in me, though I couldn't pinpoint why. The third-place winner, by contrast, barely registered in my memory, overshadowed by the standout performances of her peers.

As the competition wrapped up, signaling the end of the season, Ruby and her team made their way back. Their spirits were high despite not clinching the top spot, they loved the wave of positive feedback from viewers watching Live Stream on different platforms.

The moment Ruby returned and saw me waiting at the doorstep, her face lit up, and she launched herself into my arms. "A lot of viewers this time liked our cameo!" she bubbled over with excitement, her face pressed against my chest in a warm, familiar embrace.

"I saw the comments; I think your concert is going to be a hit," I reassured her, returning her embrace with a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Just make sure you keep up the momentum, it’s close."

"I will," she pulled back, her grin infectious. "But I think it’ll go great, especially with you there."

"Doesn't having me there make you more nervous? I am pretty hard to impress," I teased, my smile tinged with smug affection.

"Not at all, I’ve got a little leeway as your sister, right? You’ll be impressed by it." she retorted playfully, reaching up to plant a quick kiss on my cheek.

Our affectionate exchange did not go unnoticed. The girls of B-Komachi watched us, their expressions a mix of curiosity and amusement. In some of their eyes, I could see the question unasked: weren't Ruby and I a bit too close for siblings?

It was natural to assume that since I was holding Ruby by the waist, unperturbed by the speculative glances. Ruby, ever the free spirit, didn't care about such perceptions either. She tip-toed suddenly and placed a spontaneous kiss on my cheek.

“I'll go practice now~” she said with a grin and hopped away while humming to herself.

I shook my head and watched her walk away, not missing the frown of Ai that was sent our way, as the complicated essence of our family and the thrill of upcoming challenges mingled in the cool air of the evening.

After that, the girls grew quite busy.

****

Three days flashed by like the flicker of a neon sign, and the night of the concert arrived with a rush of energy and anticipation. Even I was a little nervous.

Right now, I am in the JIF, standing at the back of the stage where B-Komachi will perform soon. The air was so thick with tension and anticipation that it felt like it was buzzing with electricity, the kind that makes your skin tingle and your heartbeat a little faster.

There were loud sounds from outside, thousands waiting before the stage. Amidst the chaos of last-minute preparations, I found myself standing with Ruby and the rest of the B-Komachi members — Mem, Kana, and Shoko for some parting words.

The four girls were filled with nervous excitement, their faces alight with a mix of anxiety and anticipation. They huddled close, their eyes reflecting the stage lights that spilled from the wings of the stage.

"Alright, girls," I began, my voice cutting through the hum of activity around us. "This is your moment. Everything you've worked for, all the rehearsals, the early mornings, and late nights—it all leads to this.”

They had prepared a lot, but some words of encouragement were necessary. That's why I had to say these, “Remember, the audience out there? They're here for you. They believe in you." I paused, letting my words sink in, meeting each of their eyes in turn. "You've got the talent, you've got the passion, and you've got each other. Go out there and show them why the name of B-Komachi has actually made a return… Make them feel every note, every beat."

The girls exchanged glances, a silent communication passing between them. Kana squeezed Ruby’s hand, Mem nodded firmly at me, while the most nervous among them, Shoko took a deep breath. Then, as if on cue, they turned to me, a unified determination in their eyes.

"Thank you," Ruby said, her voice steady. "We won’t let you down."

With one last collective nod, Mem came forward and kissed me on the lips, before they turned around and marched towards the stage, their steps synchronized, a palpable shift in their demeanor from nervous to determined.

“They'll be fine,” Ai said as she placed a hand on my shoulder, “but thank you for the kind words. I'm sure they appreciate it.”

The stage door swung open, and the roar of the crowd washed over us like a wave, carrying with it the energy of thousands of fans.

The stage was a spectacle of lights and colors, vast and imposing, yet it felt like a second home to the girls as they took their positions.

“Ah…” Ruby gulped. The spotlight hit them, casting long, dramatic shadows behind them as they faced the sea of fans. The air was thick with anticipation, every eye fixed on the stage.

The music started with a pulsating beat that synced perfectly with the heartbeat of the audience. Ruby took in a deep breath and released it. She let her voice free, taking the lead, her voice clear and powerful, cutting through the stadium with practiced ease. Kana, Mem, and Shoko joined in harmony, their voices blending into a melody that filled the space with its rich, vibrant tones.

Ruby passed the torch to Shoko soon, as she was the strongest singer among them, and Shoko carried on in full force. Her high notes cut through the air like a hot katana through a watermelon, and people cheered like never before.

Sweat beaded on their foreheads as they danced, their movements sharp and precise, every step and turn executed with a grace that only hours of relentless practice could achieve. The fans were a blur of waving arms and flashing lights, their cheers and screams creating a backdrop of fervent noise that pushed the girls to elevate their performance even further.

As the performance continued for almost half an hour, moving from original songs to old B-Komachi songs, the energy didn't wane; it built, each song flowing into the next, each note ringing out with the promise of rising stars.

The girls’ expressions were a mixture of concentration and exhilaration, fully immersed in the moment, living each second of their twenty-five-minute set.

When the final note lingered in the air, the girls leaped into the air, and the silence that followed was deafening. Then, as if the crowd had taken a collective breath, the stadium erupted into applause, cheers, and whistles so loud it felt like the earth itself might shake.

“Holy shit, this is what I came for!!”

“O-oh my god...! This is just like 10 years ago when the queen still performed!!”

“Someone, someone called the guards, my friend passed out from happiness!”

Weirdo weeaboos, students, middle-aged office workers, and old men, all of the viewers cheered in extreme entertainment. It was the peak of entertainment to them that they had just witnessed.

Backstage, watching through monitors, I couldn't help but feel a surge of pride. B-Komachi had not just performed; they had captivated, they had moved, and they had conquered. They walked off the stage, their faces flushed with the thrill of success, sweat glistening under the stage lights, but their smiles were as bright as the spotlight.

"That was incredible," I greeted them as they approached, each of them breathing heavily, their energy spent yet their grins wide. "Looks like my encouragement worked, you didn’t just perform; you left a mark. Good job."

Ruby, her cheeks pink with exertion and joy, looked up at me, her eyes shining. "We did it," she gasped, and the simple phrase held the weight of every sacrifice, every challenge they had faced together.

As they hugged each other, the noise of the crowd still roaring in the background, it was clear that this night would be remembered as the moment of B-Komachi’s rebirth, a stellar performance that would echo in the hearts and minds of their fans long after the lights had dimmed.

I had to console Ai, who began to cry in my arms with the pride of a mother and a senior in the same group.

My family's success was at its peak, and my loud laughter of joy accepted every drop of it. Since the concert was finally done, I felt a weight lift off my shoulders.

Spoiler

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f314d5537453139416f4668516c773d3d2d313434343935353333342e313763653263623234613932636536323334363235333136313231372e706e67

[collapse]

**

**

**

Author Note: I’m cooking sum with the next arc 😔 guess what???

Read the next volume right away starting chapter 160, along with the entire month's, on my Patreon.

Link: Patreon.com/Master4thWall

35