Chapter 22: Little Fiery One
305 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was in a somewhat complicated situation at that time, and I am not referring to the initial sparks between Anna and Nili. It didn't take long for the two to get along. Which is a relief; I need thousands of followers for my plans. If only two didn't get along, I wouldn't even want to imagine what the future would hold for me.

Doing a mental review of my plans, once I acquire the magical knowledge developed by humanity in these years, I will apply it to my ancient research on artifacts in order to create divine magic.

I also need "believers" to become a true god. Only then can I have a "discussion" with the goddess and end the curse of immortality.

But again, it's not that I'm planning to die soon; I'm thinking of living thousands more years. I just want to be able to "rest in peace" like any human when I feel the time is right. However, even I don't know what awaits me in the afterlife.

But all that also depends on whether Ephereia will still be the goddess of this world after our "discussion."

I know I'm getting too far ahead of myself, but I couldn't have endured these last ten thousand years without a concrete goal. What really happens in the future, only fate will tell.

But I'm digressing. The complicated situation I was in now had to do with the other magic knight candidate that Anna had found listening to the rumors in the Inn, the girl with heterochromia.

I sincerely believe that Nili would have no problems in the admission exam, even if she were alone, but you should never be overconfident.

My knowledge of magic is basic, and although I fully trust my magic knight's abilities, I don't know what the exam will consist of. Therefore, I may not be able to support her with my artifacts.

So, since the exam information sheet didn't stipulate the number of magic knights allowed, I assume the more, the better.

Also, if the rumors about my other candidate are true, it means she definitely has a Gift. And as I said before, just like with the artifacts, I want to put the other weapons of mass destruction, the skills, where I can see them.

Now, about the problem at hand. While I was adventuring with Nili and her party, something unexpected happened... The gang led by the second magic knight candidate I had in mind, Fiammetta, had been defeated by the city guard.

It's true, Fiammetta Canimios was not precisely on the side of the law. But I will not be picky with the past of those who serve me. If they are capable and loyal, that's enough for me.

At first, House Canimios had been quite renowned in Leirel, but after several generations without producing even a single magician, anyone could imagine what would happen in this world dominated by magic. Basically, it was a house that had fallen into disgrace and poverty.

However, there were many rumors about Fiammetta, the last Canimios. Although the rumors vary, and some are even contradictory, everyone agrees that one of her eyes changed color one day.

After that change, there are several stories. She was credited with being able to kill her enemies just by looking at them. It is also said that if her eye shines, she could disappear from your presence to reappear in an instant with her sword on your neck, etc.

To tell the truth, in my travels, I have seen similar skills whose power can be seen through the eyes. They are the window to the soul, after all. In conclusion, I believe that what shines in her eye is a magic circle.

But if that's the case, leaving that girl alone is dangerous. She is not a magician, and if her skill is not controlled properly, her lifespan can be greatly shortened.

"Anna, do you know where the last battle took place?" "I asked the undercover spy I had left gathering information with her waitress job.

"Mmm… after the guard took the Fire Fists' lair (Fiammeta's gang name), they cornered the last thugs near Old Bridge."

Old Bridge had been the first stone bridge built over the Ordell River and the oldest still standing. It wasn't a flashy name, but neither was the bridge. In any case, people were fond of it, and it became the sector's name.

"Old bridge... Maybe they wanted to escape to the slums," Nili said, caressing her slim chin with one hand. "The city would have to mobilize the entire guard if they want to find them there."

"But Fiammeta supposedly jumped into the river; it's not known if she could reach the slums or not…" Anna added.

"If her body had been found, it would already be news," Nili said.

"Ok then, we need to choose our next step," I said, clapping my hands together, which alerted the girls. "There are two possibilities: One is that her body is at the bottom of the river, and the other is that she could have hidden in the slums."

"It will be hard to find her in either case," Nili said, rubbing her long ears. (I felt somewhat bad; I must remember not to make such loud sounds near the elves).

"And even if we find her, the money from her bail could easily buy another hundred servants. And I already want to have lackeys… I mean colleagues," Anna said, covering her mouth after the last part.

Leaving aside the fact that Anna had just proclaimed herself Head Maid, she was right. In the future, I would need to consider another source of income.

I may have made a small fortune, but great riches usually come with great spending, and sadly, I'm not talking about pleasures.

"At least the location isn't a major problem," I said with an involuntary grimace at the thought of my finances. "Bodies float (as long as they aren't bones), so someone would have found her by now if she were in the river. Let's be optimistic and bet she is hidden in the slums.

8