Chapter 19: Ghost Knight Amalia
304 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A knight that stood several heads above everyone else in the room slowly emerged from the broken sky. The pristine armor that adorned the knight appeared almost ceremonial with the level of detail that was put into the metalwork. 

The helmet held the visage of a great wolf. Not only did it physically resemble the animal, but there was a solemn pride in the design. Furthering this image, two fiery red orbs glowed from within. 

Yet, the armor was as dark as the void and amorphous as shadows. Tattered red fabric highlighted its frame. The remains of an elegant cape were barely visible. Still, the luxurious silk fluttered during the knight's slow descent. 

As the knight drew closer, its appearance would distort and dark tendrils would undulate out of its body.

It landed on the earth, craning its neck towards the party. 

Ominous cracking sounds reverberated through the world. This was followed by the grating sound of it dragging its greatsword across the ground.

“Ah, the dungeon really is a bitch,” Ryder mused; the words were mostly for herself.

As the most experienced party member, she debated putting up a fight as a show of strength. But realizing the large gap, the act of resistance would just look pitiful, so instead of drawing a weapon or casting a spell, Ryder walked forward and raised her middle finger.

“You're not worthy.” A creepy, unnatural voice crawled out from behind the wolf helmet. Its red eyes flared. 

It didn’t appear to be moving fast, yet within a single blink, several phantom images appeared. 

“Go to h—” 

Much like how Ryder smashed various dungeon mobs with a single heavy impact, the knight’s greatsword smashed into her. Rather than sever her in half, the flat of the blade was used. 

It knocked her into the ground where her body was completely crushed. The various buffs and barriers placed on her body fizzled out. The dispersing mana created particles in the air. Ryder’s evaporating body added to the spectacle of lights. 

 

[Your party member Ryder has been defeated!]

The knight jumped. More phantom images appeared, and with that one motion, it appeared in the middle of the party. 

Its sword turned into a shadowy smoke, while it reached out and grabbed the twins with metal gauntlets. All it took was one squeeze for more particles to appear. 

Lapis tried to react. Mana built in her hands as she readied a spell. But immediately after the knight had moved its arms, it raised its leg. A kick landed on Lapis’ stomach. 

“Oh,” Lapis only managed to make a single sound as it happened.

“Don’t mind me,” Amber chuckled and began to run without looking back, “I was just leaving—”

Despite making it a good distance away, the nebulous sword casually pierced her abdomen. It didn’t appear to be thrown; rather, the object was simply directed forward. It was as if the act of skewering Amber was inevitable. 

“Ah, fuck.” She too vanished instantly. 

Even if there was no threat, many people would still react to their companions visually being slaughtered; however, Mamori was not disturbed in the slightest. It wasn’t about a lack of sensibility. 

Instead, Mamori was rather disciplined, only perceiving the reality of the situation. The concept that his companions were hurt or killed was simply an illusory lie that was discarded. One could say it was a habit of an experienced exorcist. 

The knight stopped in front of Mamori.

A rigid voice was directed at him, “I have evicted the troublemakers, and I shall take my leave.”

“You’re a vengeful ghost,” Mamori mused aloud. It wasn’t an insult, but a simple comment that pointed at the creature’s identity. 

The knight was not like the other dungeon mobs. While it could be considered an NPC, it was not an artificial intelligence governed by the System. It was closer to a guest like the fairy folk that Mamori had previously encountered. In other words, it possessed sentience and a conscious will. 

 

You have discovered a hidden quest, Ghost Knight Amalia, in Act 1. Your actions are causing a significant impact on the formation of the Main Scenario.

“Are you not scared?” the knight croaked; its red eyes flared with mild interest.

Without moving a single unnecessary facial muscle, Mamori asked a question that changed the entire mood of the room. 

“Can you open up your armor?” 

“...”

“...”

“What?” Its fiery eyes seemed to cool as it scrutinized Mamori. Because it stood several heads above him, it practically glared down at him.

Mamori pointed towards its stomach, “I need to see your stomach.”

“I see, you’re just another p-per—”

“Quiet.”

“Ehh. B-b-b… but—”

“It's nauseating and annoying.” 

Mamori could read the vengeful feelings of the ghost. They were buried deep. If her consciousness was a clear lake then the surface was clear without a single ripple. Yet, Mamori swam deep into the darkness, where light couldn’t reach. 

Turbid, turbulent water violently swirled.

Attuned to such intense emotions, it made Mamori feel sick, a suffocating nausea — the feeling of drowning.

Ghost images of another reality flickered in and out of his gaze.

They were memories, and while Mamori didn’t see them clearly, the origin of the knight's feelings were clear. He felt repulsed and disgusted as he empathized with the female knight. 

The ability of Empathy meant Mamori literally took on the subjective feelings of another. It was like going from third person to an omniscient first person viewpoint.

He became a trembling figure holding a sword, a tragic hero discarded by an entire dimension. He witnessed a fallen world in ruins, a destroyed System, a dead god

Various tattoos on Mamori’s body itched. They seemingly twitched.

Mamori returned to reality. 

“S-s-sorry,” the knight stammered, unaware of its own buried pain. 

The demeanor of the knight completely changed. She turned her gaze to the side. She occasionally would check Mamori’s gaze with her peripheral only to immediately look away again.

She felt like she should stand up for herself, but not only was she caught off guard, she lacked social skills and wasn’t proficient at defending herself emotionally. The sharpness of Mamori’s gaze was too much for her.

‘I, I… am… umm… scared… why is this man… so terrifying! W-w-what is he going to do to me.’

It didn't matter that a single tap from the knight could end Mamori. 

“Hmmmm…” The knight seemingly buzzed as she hesitated with embarrassment. The sound continued to escape the knight’s lips as she retracted the shadowy armor that was hiding her stomach. 

‘I’m…a holy maiden… this is just too indecent!’ 

The shadows dispersed starting at the knight’s navel, slowly growing in size until the entirety of her pale belly was revealed. The paper-white skin was unnaturally pure without complexion or blemish. 

“Hmmmm… I did a-as you asked.”

Mamori placed his hand on her defined stomach. She had obviously trained extensively to gain a chiseled physique. 

Still, his warm touch caused the knight to suck in air, making her belly smaller. He continued to trace the lines that formed her abdominal muscles.

“Breath out.”

‘Ah… ugh…’

“Hmmmm.” She fidgeted but complied. 

Mamori began to pinch and pull the exposed muscles. They were taut and hard even when she didn’t flex.

“D-d-don’t… you t-think… that it's too much!” 

“There is the presence of scars, yet the skin is immaculate,” Mamori muttered to himself. It was as if he was intently figuring out a puzzle.

“Huh.”

“You have a seal placed on you,” Mamori murmured, “How long has it been there…” 

“W-w-wait… this… isn’t what I was expecting!” 

Mamori raised his eyes and met the knight’s fiery orbs. The red eyes quivered at his gaze.

‘Wait, why is he crying?’ The knight noticed a single tear fall down Mamori’s eye, and behind it was a deep, seething rage. 

“I’m sorry about what they did to you.”

The knight had forgotten how to cry, so she remained silent. She was unable to recall anyone showing sympathy towards her. She was grateful. She truly was; however, her resentment wasn’t something that could be quelled so easily. There was a reason it was locked away. 

‘I saved the world from the apocalypse, died a virgin without finding love; I didn’t even go on a date! And afterwards those fuckers… stabbed me in the back… throwing me out like trash…’ 

These were the ghost’s surface thoughts. Deeper inside there was just a quiet, melancholic voice: ‘Ah, it hurts.’

 

Ghost Knight Amalia has an increased chance of reappearing in the Main Scenario! 

Mamori rubbed her stomach.

‘W-w-w-wait… I was getting sentimental… why are you touching me like that all of a sudden!’ The knight complained. 

Mamori poured mana into the knight. It was warm, gentle. It created a comfortable feeling that tingled slightly.

The seal that was placed on Amalia should have been dispersed with her death, yet her resentment continued to manifest it even into her death. It was like a malevolent curse. It appeared the System treated some of the symptoms, but didn’t cure the underlying ailment. 

“The thing I’m most proficient in is sealing and barrier techniques. I promise to cure you; however, since I’m unable to do that at the moment, I’ll alleviate the symptoms further. It will be like it has temporarily disappeared.”

Amalia felt like she woke up from a long sleep. Her emotions became a mess. While she was like that, Mamori handed her a paper talisman.

“Miss Amalia, the talisman I gave you contains my true name. You can converse with me in your dreams if you need someone to talk to.”

Unable to handle it anymore, Amalia dispersed into shadows. Something that sounded somewhat like ‘thank you’ could be heard mumbled from the darkness.

 

Warning: There is a significant chance of Ghost Knight Amalia developing an obsession (platonic) with the user, Mamori.

“Is the System bugged? I just did my job.” 

Given Mamori’s ascetic teachings, it was self-evident to him that an exorcist should help the souls of the damned. 

Mamori looked at one of the dragon tattoos.

“Did you just sigh?”

He poked around the skin to see if any more reactions would occur, but nothing happened. 

However, it remained completely still, so Mamori turned his attention elsewhere.

The subspace was still corroding. The sky was long gone, while pieces of the floor at the edges of the space began to shatter like panes of glass. The decay gradually drew closer. 

“So, am I to be evicted too?” 

Large letters appeared in the sky. 

[No].

“And all this?”

[As you were not designated for eviction, you will return to the Dungeon alone.]

“I see.”

[You can also voluntarily leave.]

Mamori scratched his head. He was a support, so it was best to just join everyone else. 

[Or...]

 

[Dungeon X] invites you to have some casual sex in their administrative room. 

 

“Decline.”

 

[Dungeon X] invites you to have some casual ‘fun’ in their administrative room. They insist it will be a sight you will enjoy. 

“Decline.”

Mamori wondered if the entity was going to ask permission to masturbate. That seemed to be the trend. Yet, something different happened. 

 

[Dungeon X] invites you to have a chat in their administrative room. They offer some tea.

 

“Rain check?”

Mamori was curious about the entity, but to be honest, he didn’t want the mystery behind it to be spoiled. It was day one of dungeon exploration and he didn’t even get to do any exploring.

[If you insist. It is your prerogative and I’ll respect that.] 

“Can you send me out of the Dungeon then?”

[You can do it through the menu, but here you go.]

Mamori was somewhat expecting more monsters to come and try to kill him for rejecting the entity's offer, but it seemed unphased.

[We don’t abuse our authority unless it is allowed by the scenario.]

Mamori approached a door that had appeared in the middle of the broken world. Before he opened it, he bowed. He wasn’t sure how the entity was observing, but he hoped the gesture would be accepted.

[Have a good day, Mamori; until next time.]

 

***

 

Despite everything, the sun was still out. It seemed to be about mid afternoon. There were three powerful figures watching the Dungeon Entrance. 

Maple, the dorm supervisor of Pioneer Hall and the professor of Homeroom Class A, could be seen lying on the ground. Occasionally, she kicked her feet into the air; this happened when she got excited from some event that happened in her handheld game. 

Lionel and Rivers, the other two faculty members, set up a table and enjoyed some tea as they chatted with one another. They seemed to be gossiping and making bets.

Currently Mamori was part of Pioneer Hall, but if he joined Class B or Class C, then his dorm room’s connection would change. Maple was simply the strongest of the three faculty members, so Mamori and the others who scored high in orientation were given higher priority by default. 

This was in large part due to the fact that Mamori and Lapis skipped the award ceremony. 

Out of everything though, Mamori’s eyes were drawn to a seemingly tragic figure. 

The red-haired incubus Orchis could be seen crouched down in the dirt. Mamori saw a single tear drip down Orchis’ soulless eyes as the man stared at the horizon. 

“You were so cute!” Petra, a snake demon, giggled. 

“We’ll have to go again…” Eros, a bat demon, coughed. 

His two party members clung to either of his side. Unlike Orchis’ gaze, they were caught in reverie as they continued to make various remarks.

There were two more figures behind the three. One wore a nun cosplay with lace and mesh, while the other wore bikini armor — actually calling it bikini armor was generous.

Lapis tilted her head and then turned to Ryder, “Didn’t you mention something about a Princess Knight and an Elf Saintess?”

“Why do you ask,” Ryder stroked her chin, before turning and seeing the two figures behind Orchis. With a softened gaze she muttered, “Ah, yes…” 

Mamori blinked a few times. The two figures that were with Orchis and his party were originally from the previous hero party. The look on their faces was difficult to describe. Even the System made a comment.

 

Horny women are dangerous. 

Mamori was confused by it all until Lapis whispered in his ears. At that moment, Mamori’s butt never clenched so hard.

‘Avoid the Sex Dungeon…’

Lapis, amused by his reaction, licked her lips. “Don’t worry, Mamori, you’re the only one I need...”

“As long as I get to suck your blood, I’m good!” Amber chimed in. 

The blond twins gulped, not holding back their stares at Mamori’s rear end. They however didn’t say anything and reluctantly pulled their gaze away as some of their fans appeared. 

Throughout the next couple of days, Mamori couldn’t help but notice the funny way Orchis would walk. Each time he saw such a sight, he was filled with gratitude. 

3