Chapter 3 – Exploring Gotham
79 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rose stirred gently as sunlight drifted through the windows. She found herself smiling softly as she recalled the wonderful time spent in Edward's company. Rolling over, Rose expected to see him still lying beside her - but found the space empty.

Sitting up with a disappointed look, Rose glanced around the room. No note or indication of where he had gone.

As she threw back the covers to rise, the rich aroma of sizzling sausage and the sweetness of pancakes drifted into the room. Rose's stomach rumbled in response. Following her nose, she made her way down the corridor.

The mouthwatering scent led her to the kitchen, where Edward was busy at the stove. Upon hearing her approach, he turned with a beaming grin.

"Ah, my dear! I was hoping the smells might rouse you. I trust you slept well?" Edward asked.

Rose nodded, charmed by his thoughtfulness. "What's all this?" she gestured at the feast laid out.

"I thought we could fuel up with a hearty breakfast before our adventures!" Edward declared proudly. "Come, sit. We have much to discuss over this meal I've prepared."

Rose took a seat at the small kitchen table across from Edward. He filled her plate with fluffy pancakes dripping with syrup, fresh berries, and savory sausages sizzling from the pan.

"This looks incredible, Edward. Thank you for cooking," she said with a smile. 

Edward's eyes lit up at her praise. "It’s my pleasure."

Between bites, Edward added, "I thought after breakfast perhaps I could give you a private tour of Gotham’s hidden gems if you’d like to see the city through my eyes?”

Rose laughed, charmed by his enthusiasm. "With you as my guide, I'm sure it would be...memorable. You have yourself a deal, Mr. Nygma."

Edward seemed thrilled by her agreement. They chattered animatedly through the meal, plans taking shape. 

As they finished cleaning up, Edward produced a bouquet of wildflowers with a flourish. "For you, dear Rose. A reflection of your natural beauty."

Rose accepted them with a surprised grin. "Why Edward, I do believe you're starting to spoil me!"

Edward's emerald eyes sparkled with mischief. She felt a flutter in her chest at his charm, grinning back in delight.

"Are you ready to go off on our adventure?" he gestured towards the door that led outside. 

Rose nodded eagerly, slipping her hand into Edward's outstretched one. His long fingers wrapped around hers in a gentle but steadying hold.


Emerging into the morning sunlight, a breeze ruffled Rose’s hair as she took a deep breath of fresh air. Beside her, Edward paused to pull the ingeniously concealed door shut once more, ensuring their refuge remained undisclosed. 

He turned to Rose with a smile. "Now then, what wonders shall we uncover today in this fine city?"

Squeezing her hand affectionately, Edward led the way down the quiet alleyway. As they emerged onto the sidewalk, he turned to Rose with a gleam of mischief in his eyes.

"Tell me, my dear, have you had the grand tour of Gotham's most infamous locales?"

At the shake of Rose's head, Edward grinned impishly. "Well then, you're in for a treat with me as your guide."

As they strolled, Edward regaled her with colorful stories behind each landmark they passed - the theater where a mob boss was gunned down, the bank vault obliterated in a dramatic heist.

At a beautiful gothic cathedral, Edward leaned in conspiratorially. "Rumor has it this houses the tomb of one of Gotham's most notorious serial killers. Of course, I know better - the true crypt is hidden beneath the altar."

Rose raised her eyebrows, enthralled by his insider knowledge of the city's dark underbelly.

Turning a corner, they came across an electronics shop with televisions flashing in the window display. Edward nodded towards them knowingly. "I hacked every one of those screens remotely once to broadcast a riddle. Caused quite the stir around town."

Rose grinned, trying to imagine peoples' reactions to his antics. She appreciated this glimpse into Edward's world - chaotic yet brilliant.

As they continued down the street, Edward gestured to a gothic building up ahead. "That's the Gotham Museum of Art and Antiquities. I once left a series of ciphers for the Batman to decipher that led him on a wild goose chase through the galleries before revealing I had robbed a bank on the opposite side of town instead."

Edward chuckled at the memory while Rose shook her head in amusement. His rivalry with the Dark Knight was certainly entertaining.

Passing by a suspension bridge, Edward's eyes took on a mischievous glint. "I rigged this bridge with hidden explosives and gave Batman only ten minutes to solve my riddle or watch innocent commuters plunge into the river below. Cutting it rather close, but he prevailed in the end, the spoilsport.”

Rose raised her eyebrows, impressed by Edward’s audacity and flair for the dramatic. She was beginning to realize every landmark held a story of Edward's criminal exploits.

As they waited at a crosswalk, Edward gestured to the intersection proudly. “This very spot marks where I once led the Batman on a high-speed car chase after leaving him a complex numerical cipher.”

Rose chuckled and asked teasingly, "As clever as you are, did the Batman ever actually catch and foil your criminal plans?"

Edward huffed in mock offense. "On a few isolated occasions when luck was on his side. But I assure you, most of the time I seamlessly outwit that caped fool!"

He launched eagerly into another story as they walked. "Just last month I orchestrated an elaborate bank heist utilizing decoys and puzzles to keep Batman confused and off my trail.

By the time he unraveled it, I was already sailing off into the sunset with my spoils."

"And let's not forget the incident at the Gotham Observatory," Edward continued indignantly. "I programmed their telescope array to transmit coordinates of hidden bombs unless Batman deciphered the astronomical riddle I left. He only solved it at the very last second, denying me my explosive finale."

Rose had to laugh at his irked tone for being so narrowly thwarted. She found his theatrics undeniably magnetic.

"I'll admit he's inconvenienced me on occasion," Edward went on. "But most of the time I still outwit that fool and escape unscathed. My superior intellect prevails."

"I don't doubt it," Rose replied, hiding her smile. 

After a morning spent wandering Gotham's streets, Edward suggested they stop for a bite to eat. He led Rose to a cozy Italian bistro tucked away on a side street.

"Their garlic bread is to die for," Edward remarked as they were seated at an intimate table for two.

With menus in hand, Edward and Rose were ready to decide when the waiter appeared at their table. 

Edward closed his menu decisively and sat back, meeting the waiter's expectant gaze. He paused for a moment, clearly savoring the anticipation.

Then with a dramatic flick of his wrist, Edward declared, "We'll have a bottle of your Valpolicella wine, please." 

His voice carried an air of theatrical flair. A smile played at the corners of his mouth, entertained by his own antics.

After another brief pause for effect, Edward continued in a florid tone, "And for our meals, I think two orders of the lasagna special will do quite nicely."

He finished with a flourish, sweeping one arm out grandly to punctuate the order. Amusement danced in his emerald eyes at Rose's charmed expression. 

The waiter scribbled their selection with an indulgent smile of his own, clearly used to Edward's dramatic penchant. He whisked away, leaving the pair eagerly awaiting their wine and meal.

Once they were alone again, Edward's green eyes gazed intensely at Rose. "I must say, I'm thoroughly enjoying showing you my city. You truly appreciate it in a way most don't."

Rose smiled, flattered. "I love seeing Gotham through your unique perspective. You make everything way more exciting with your stories and antics.

Edward appeared quite pleased by her words. "Why thank you, my dear. I do love to entertain." 

"So," Rose leaned in curiously, "what's your favorite thing about living here in Gotham? I mean aside from all the chaos and crime you seem to love."

Edward laughed. "You know me well it seems! Let's see...I suppose I enjoy the intellectual sparring and matching of wits this city provides. So many puzzles to uncover, so many dullards to outsmart."

"You certainly keep things interesting," Rose remarked with an amused smile.

"Life would be dull without a little excitement now and then, wouldn't you say?" Edward responded, a playful twinkle in his eye.

"With you around, I don't think excitement will be in short supply," Rose laughed. Speaking of thrills, do you have any new clever plots to torment the Batman?"

Edward tapped his chin thoughtfully. "I have a few intriguing ideas in development. All in due time, my dear. But for now, I'm quite content enjoying your captivating company."

Rose felt her cheeks flush at the compliment just as the waiter arrived with their food and a bottle of rich red wine.

"I hope you have an appetite, my dear. The food here is sublime," Edward said, pouring them each a glass of wine.

As they dug in, Rose sighed in delight. "Mmm, this is incredible! You were right about this place."

Edward looked satisfied at her reaction. "I'm glad I could introduce you to one of my favorite hidden gems in Gotham. We villainous types know all the best spots to dine in style."

Rose chuckled at his dramatic flair. As she sipped her wine, she cocked her head and asked casually, "So what's the deal with you and Batman anyway? He seems to take your puzzles way too seriously."

Edward's eyes lit up at the mention of his nemesis. "Ah yes, the Batman. He fancies himself the only one able to match wits against me."

He leaned back in his chair, reminiscing. "I suppose in some ways, we complete each other. Our mental sparring gives purpose to our otherwise dull lives."

Rose raised an eyebrow skeptically. "What, pulling off flashy crimes and puzzles isn't thrilling enough for you?"

Edward laughed. "Touché, my dear. I'll admit I do relish the challenge. Outwitting that cowled fool gives me a rush like no other."

"But between you and me..." He leaned in conspiratorially. "The Batman needs me too. Our game of cat and mouse gives his pedestrian existence meaning."

Rose grinned, amused by Edward's perspective. She could see how the two fed off each other's obsession in a twisted way.

"Still seems like an awful lot of effort just to stoke each other's egos," she mused playfully.

"Perhaps so," Edward acknowledged with a sparkle in his eye. "But where would be the fun in life without a little drama?"

Rose shook her head with a smile. 

Their lively banter continued over the remainder of the meal. Rose found herself captivated by this brilliant, theatrical man who saw the world in such a unique way.

As they finished up the last bites of their lasagna, Rose sat back contentedly. "That was so good. Thank you for bringing me here."

Edward smiled happily. "The pleasure was all mine. I'm delighted you enjoyed it."

He gestured to the waiter for their check, then turned back to Rose. "Would you like to continue our tour of the city?"

Rose's eyes lit up. "I’d love to." She was thrilled by the prospect of more time with this fascinating man.

When the waiter returned with the bill, Edward scribbled his signature with a flourish. He slipped the leather folio smoothly back into the waiting hands, flashing a charming smile. 

Rising, Edward extended a gloved hand to help Rose from her seat. She accepted with an amused grin, intrigued by his theatrics.


The afternoon sun warmed them as they walked down the sidewalk. As they meandered along, Edward pointed out architectural details on the historic buildings they passed. His witty commentary and knowledge of the city kept Rose laughing with delight.

When they paused to rest at a wrought iron bench in the nearby park, Rose smiled over at Edward. "I have to admit, you make even just a simple walk around Gotham fun with your commentary," she said. "I wouldn't know half these little history facts or notice quirky details without you pointing them out."

Edward chuckled, pleased by her compliment. "Well, I do pride myself on being something of an expert on this city's rich, albeit peculiar, history."

"Still, I appreciate you taking the time to show me around," Rose replied. She nudged his arm playfully. "It feels special having my own personal Gotham tour guide."

"Of course, my dear! The pleasure is mine," Edward said sincerely. He stretched his arms over the back of the bench. "Though I admit, having a lovely companion such as yourself makes playing tour guide much more enjoyable."

Rose laughed, giving him a light swat on the chest for the flirtatious remark but looking secretly delighted. They grinned at each other for a happy moment, simply enjoying the casual intimacy of this shared adventuresome outing between newfound friends.

A playful gleam returned to Edward's eyes. "What do you say we continue our adventure?" he suggested. "There is still so much I would love to share with you."

Rose's smile widened in answer. "I would like that." 

Edward beamed at Rose's response, thrilled she was enjoying their day together as much as he. 

"I have an idea for another locale I think you'll find especially intriguing, my dear," he said. "But it will require a bit more travel. Should we grab a cab?"

Intrigued, Rose nodded eagerly. Edward hailed a passing taxi and gave the driver directions to an abandoned amusement park just outside the city limits.

Once settled in the backseat, Rose asked, "An abandoned park? That’s interesting. What's the history there?"

Edward launched into a dramatic tale of the park's glory days and mysterious closure decades ago. Her rapt attention spurred him to greater dramatic flair. Before long, the taxi was pulling up a long-overgrown driveway.

They got out and Rose gasped at the sight before them. The old amusement park stood silent but seemingly untouched, faded colors dignifying its forgotten machines of leisure.

Turning to Rose, Edward proclaimed, "Welcome to Arkham Park, m'lady! I thought you might enjoy exploring its forgotten attractions. What do you think?"

Rose stared in wonder at the decrepit remains of Arkham Park spread out before them. "Wow…I’ve never seen anything like it." she breathed.

Edward grinned, thrilled by her enthusiasm. "Shall we have a look around?" he gestured toward the park.

As they wandered, remnants of the park's former glory remained. An old wooden roller coaster stretched out ahead, untraveled for years. A ticket booth still stood at the entrance, paint peeling inside an empty window. 

Coming upon the carousel, Edward gazed up at the steeds frozen in place. "Just imagine the happy memories made here in its heyday."

Rose smiled. "You seem to have a soft spot for nostalgia and things forgotten by time."

"And mysteries left unsolved," Edward added with a wink. He turned, eyes gleaming. "I believe if we search around here, there may be more secrets waiting to be uncovered."

Intrigued, Rose followed as Edward scrutinized their surroundings. Rounding a corner, he stopped abruptly. "Aha! What have we here?"

Before them sat a dilapidated building with a partially collapsed roof. Over the door hung a faded sign -- THE HAUNTED HOUSE. Edward grinned mischievously. "Shall we go inside?"

Rose grinned back, excited by the prospect of new discoveries with this man. "After you."

Taking her hand, Edward lifted the creaky door and led them into the darkness beyond.

Within the first room of the haunted house, movement caught Rose's eye. She gasped and clutched Edward's arm. But it was only a fraying ghost costume dangling limply from the ceiling.

Edward chuckled. "I do believe this place is getting to you already, my dear."

He peered around the dim chamber, using his phone flashlight to better illuminate the shadows. "Let's venture deeper into its cobwebbed guts, shall we?"

Rounding a corner, they entered a parlor coated in a thick layer of dust. Furniture was sheeted in ghostly white; time-faded portraits stared sightlessly from the walls.

Rose bent to examine a mantle crammed with curios. Lifting an antique mirror, she saw movement outside reflected within. "Did you see that?"

Edward peered through a grimy window. "Just those pesky crows, I suspect. Come, there's more to explore!" 

They wandered from room to room, uncovering clues to long-forgotten lives: a diary recounting scandalous affairs, old books hinting at occult interests. Each discovery sparked fresh debates.

Finally, Edward grabbed her hand, eyes dancing. "Care for a stroll through the haunted mirror maze next?" Before she could react, he pulled her into the nearby room.

Distorted reflections stretched endlessly in tangled angles. Giggling, they chased each other's warped images, lost in the funhouse abstraction.

After a while, Rose stumbled dizzily out of the maze on unsteady feet, still seeing echoes of twisted reflections out of the corner of her eye. Taking a few deep breaths, she turned just in time to bump directly into Edward's tall frame, sending them both teetering back.

His quick reflexes steadied them with arms around her waist, and they gazed at each other in surprised laughter. Rose's amusement was cut short, however, by a strangled gasp as she glanced over Edward's shoulder.

Looming ominously behind him was a precariously balanced mock guillotine, its serrated blade suspended by fraying ropes. As they had careened into each other, the force must have jostled it, and now the fixture leaned dangerously over the corridor.

For a frozen moment, they stared, hardly daring to breathe. Then the contraption shuddered and finally gave way with an almighty crash that echoed through the haunted house corridors.

Edward and Rose collapsed to the dusty floor in a wild fit of giggles, clinging to each other as their laughter bounced off the decaying walls. Tears streamed down Rose's cheeks at the thought of their narrow brush with falling props and blades.

"Oh man, that was a close one!" she giggled, wiping her eyes. 

Edward was still chuckling beside her, his smile bright.

Rose shook her head as their laughter started to die down. "I think this creepy old haunted house has given us enough scares for one day, you know?"

Edward nodded in agreement, taking Rose's hand in his own and squeezing it gently. "This place has certainly provided its fair share of frights and fun, but I believe you're right - our adventure here is done. Shall we continue our exploration?"

Rose smiled back. "Lead the way, Eddie!" 

Hand in hand, Rose and Edward emerged blinking into the sunlight. She breathed deep, lungs filling with fresh air to dispel lingering dust from the decrepit house.

"Where to now?" Rose wondered aloud. 

Edward glanced around, regarding their surroundings pensively. Then he turned to her with a smile. "I believe I've found one more hidden wonder of this old park if you'll let me show you."

Rose let him lead her further into the overgrown park. The trees grew thicker as they walked, tall oaks and maples blocking out the afternoon sky and encasing them in a shady green world. Roots and vines crisscrossed the uneven forest floor, but Edward strode confidently through the tangle, pulling Rose along behind him with a gentle tug.

Her heart skipped at his carefree smile flashed over one shoulder whenever he checked that she was keeping up. They walked in a comfortable silence for some time, enjoying each other's company as birds sang overhead.

After winding along for nearly half an hour, Rose began to notice the dense foliage gradually thinning ahead. She heard the rumbling sound before she saw its source between the trees - a soft, constant rushing like a gentle summer rain.

As the trees parted fully, Rose gasped in delight, the sound echoing Edward's proud laugh. 

A small waterfall cascaded down a rocky outcropping, feeding the crystal clear waters that rippled out hypnotically. Lilypads dotted the surface here and there, and dragonflies zipped about. 

"This is incredible!" Rose squeezed Edward's hand, thrilled by his surprise. 

He smiled, clearly enjoying her delight. "I discovered this secluded spot on a past exploration and just knew you had to see it too."

Rose grinned, unable to resist the appealing lake. She kicked off her shoes to wade into the shallow edge of the water. The cool water felt refreshing on her bare feet and calves after the long morning of exploration in the heat. 

She looked over and noticed Edward watching her fondly from the bank, an amused smile playing on his lips at her evident pleasure.

"Do you want to join me?" she called out teasingly. 

He pretended to ponder her suggestion for a dramatic moment before replying. "I suppose a dip could make for an enjoyable way to cool off in this warm woodland glade," Edward mused. 

He picked his way carefully over the mossy rocks littering the shoreline to join her.

In a flash, he had swept up a squealing Rose into his arms, balancing her precariously over the water below.

"Edward, no!" she shrieked with laughter, instinctively throwing her arms around his neck to grasp on tightly for dear life as he threatened to tip her right in. "Don't you dare!"

But a wicked gleam shone bright in Edward's gaze as he chuckled teasingly down at her. "Oh, but I dare," he purred with mischievous glee. 

And with that, he tossed Rose gently backward into the cool depths.

Rose surfaced with a gasp, pushing her wet chestnut hair from her face. She treaded water as Edward stood grinning on the water’s rocky edge. 

"You'll pay for that, Nygma!" Rose warned in mock seriousness, though her saturated sundress and smiling lips took the edge off any threat. 

Edward simply smiled down at her. "And how do you propose to make me pay, my dear?" he asked innocently.

"Are you too afraid to come find out?" she challenged with a playful smirk. 

Without waiting for a response, Rose started gently kicking water his way. Small droplets scattered through the air to lightly speckle Edward's trousers where he stood. 

He cocked a questioning brow but made no other movement, content to watch her tactics unfold. Rose bit back a grin and kicked harder, sending more water towards the shore.

"Last chance to join me before the onslaught begins," she teased. 

"Very well, you've convinced me," he replied in a melodramatic sigh.

His fingers worked nimbly to undo the buttons of his emerald coat. Shrugging it back, he revealed a black shirt stretched beneath and a question mark tie. 

Rolling the expensive fabric to his elbows carefully, Edward revealed sinewy forearms dusted with a sprinkling of red hair. As he moved, Rose noticed his muscles subtly tensing underneath his skin.

Next, Edward doffed his signature bowler hat with a flourish. Smoothly running a hand through his tousled locks, he placed the hat on top of his folded jacket on the ground. 

He then kicked off his shoes and socks, casually folding the legs of his trousers up to his knees. 

Rose felt her cheeks flush at the impromptu striptease but couldn't tear her eyes away. Edward waded into the water with catlike grace, pausing a few feet away. 

"What shall be my punishment, my dear?" he queried lightly, cocking his head in invitation. 

Rose pretended to consider this seriously, tapping her chin in thought.

"Hmm...how about...this!" she shouted gleefully, sending a crashing wave towards him with cupped hands. 

He gasped in mock offense before a mischievous grin spread across his lips.

Scooping up double handfuls of the cool water, Edward launched his retaliation. Drops rained down around them as their laughter echoed off the surrounding trees. 

Rose fought back valiantly, but Edward proved a formidable opponent. Soon he was advancing, driving her back with waves that threatened to swamp her completely. 

With a shriek, Rose turned to flee - only to feel strong arms circle her waist from behind. Edward hauled her back against his chest, elevation her high above the surface.

"Surrender?" he chuckled by her ear. 

She thrashed playfully in his hold, causing them both to lose balance and topple backward into the lake's depths.

Emerging together, they broke the surface gasping and flushed. Rose found herself mere inches from Edward. His grin had faded, replaced by an intent, searching look in those intelligent eyes.

"I surrender," Rose finally breathed, the waterfall's roar nearly drowning out her hushed admission. 

Edward's gaze remained fixed on her, his expression unreadable. Slowly he brought one hand up to brush back a wet strand of hair clinging to her cheek, his touch so gentle. 

Rose's heart pounded as he cradled her face, the rest of the world fading away until it was only the two of them.

"My dear, sweet Rose," Edward murmured, his voice rough with emotion. Before she could react, he leaned in and captured her mouth in a passionate kiss.

Rose melted into him, her hands coming up to grasp the soaked fabric of his shirt, pulling him closer still. His lips moved urgently against hers, both seeking to pour all their longing and affection into this perfect shared moment. 

Finally, they broke apart breathlessly, foreheads resting together as the water lapped around their entwined forms. A smile played on Edward's kiss-swollen lips.

"You are an endless fascination, my dear Rose," he murmured. "Just when I believe I have unlocked all your mysteries, you reveal something new that surprises and delights me."

Rose smiled, trailing her fingers along his jawline. "I could say the same about you, Eddie. You’re a puzzle I never get tired of solving."

He hummed in amusement at the comparison. "Perhaps we are two parts of one intricate riddle only the other can decode."

Rose's heart swelled at his words. She tenderly brushed back a wet lock of red hair that had fallen over his forehead. 

"I think you might be right," she said softly. "From the moment we met, there was a connection between us, like two missing puzzle pieces finding each other."

Edward smiled, leaning into her palm. "A perfect match," he affirmed. 

Rose drew Edward close again, craving his touch, his taste. As their lips met once more, she knew she was falling completely for this complicated, brilliant man.

When finally they parted, breathless, Edward kept her close, cradling her protectively. 

"You know, I believe this secluded spot has become even more special now," he mused, eyes dancing.

Rose laughed, hugging him tighter. "I was thinking the same thing! Our own private paradise."

They stayed embraced in the water until the lowering sun reminded them it was time to head back. As they waded towards the bank, the cooling water lifted in small rippling waves around their entwined fingers.

Reaching the grass, Edward turned to face Rose with a gentle smile. He lifted dripping hands to tenderly brush clinging tendrils of hair back from her face, letting his touch linger softly against her cheek. 

Rose smiled up at him, not wanting to break their intimacy just yet. But the breeze raised goosebumps over their soaked skin, and dusk's deepening shadows reminded them of the long walk ahead. 

Edward released her reluctantly and turned toward where his clothes lay piled. He donned his socks and shoes. With a flourish, he settled his signature bowler hat at a rakish angle. Turning, he caught Rose's admiring stare and grinned.

Nearby, Rose spotted her discarded shoes and sat to slip them on, shivering as cooling water dripped from her sodden dress. 

Straightening, Edward grabbed his jacket and stepped over to gallantly drape it around Rose's shoulders. She smiled, pulling the fabric close against the chill.

"Thank you," she said softly. 

"I can't have my fair lady catching cold," Edward replied with a roguish smile that made Rose giggle.

His own wet shirt clung to his skin, hinting at the lean muscles beneath. Rose reached out to adjust his crooked tie, fingers trailing down his chest. A new heat entered Edward's gaze at her touch.

Taking her hand, he pressed a kiss to her palm. "Shall we go back, my dear?"

Together they headed into the woods as dusk fell, neither wanting this magical day to end.

A half-hour later, Edward and Rose emerged from the woods back into the abandoned amusement park. The empty fairground took on a melancholy air in the twilight, shadows stretching across the weed-choked paths.

As they walked, Edward slid his phone from his pocket and requested a taxi to take them back to the city. 

Soon the yellow car was winding its way through the silent park. Rose looked out the window at the decaying rides fading into the distance, remembering the exhilarating day spent exploring them with Edward.

She felt his hand cover hers and looked over with a smile. Edward's eyes were tender.

"I shall treasure today always," he said earnestly. "Every new discovery with you is a gift."

"Me too," she replied, squeezing his hand. "This place will be special to me now because of the memories we made."

Edward brought her hand to his lips for a lingering kiss, his thumb gently caressing her knuckles.

When the cab arrived at Rose's apartment building, Edward insisted on walking her to the door. Standing beneath the porch light, Rose slid his jacket off and handed it back.

"Thank you again for today," she said softly. "It was magical."

"The magic was you, my dear," Edward replied, taking his jacket. 

They exchanged phone numbers, both eager to plan their next adventure together. Then Edward pulled Rose close and brought his lips to hers in a lingering goodnight kiss. 

Drawing back, he smiled down at her, eyes glinting behind his green domino mask. "Until we meet again."

With her heart skipping a beat, Rose let herself into the building with one last backward glance. As she prepared for bed that night, she knew her life had changed for the better.

0